The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

So what kind of music are you guys into

Go down 
+39
Son Of Jack Deth
Frank Rizzo
BaphometConsumed
UnknownKadath
ScrotumusMaximus
Jacob
Mongoose
Mondo a Go-Go
relauby
KingLDub
yakityyakblah
LeperMessiah117
Kaneda
anothercafejava
bloodypitofhorror
Nephilim
TK6530
The Original Greaser Bob
Tommy Wiseau
thegormer
Scooter Hawk
Screwadu
New Blood
Griff Morivan
Eisblut
TobyMobias
DarthThought
guudermann
WrecklessEating
Entertainer13
A Cockatrice
MagnaRyu
Cactus_Matt
Uzigon
JustinDP
vidsub
JennyWoreBlack
Eckertmania
Loxx O)))
43 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 12:47 am

Loxx O))) wrote:
Boris is some good stuff. That cd with Sunn O))) was quite nice.
Got that Altar on vinyl. Quite nice. Though personally, I kind of prefer Boris' collaboration with Merzbow.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 12:50 am

I don't think I've heard the Boris/Merzbow stuff. I'm not incredibly familiar with Merzbow. The guy has LOADS of cds and I've only heard a small fraction of his work. Wasn't the Merzbox like 60 some cds? I'll try and check out some of that collab.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 12:58 am

Loxx O))) wrote:
I don't think I've heard the Boris/Merzbow stuff. I'm not incredibly familiar with Merzbow. The guy has LOADS of cds and I've only heard a small fraction of his work. Wasn't the Merzbox like 60 some cds? I'll try and check out some of that collab.

Check this out.
Back to top Go down
Nephilim

Nephilim

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 1:13 am

The Dude wrote:
Loxx O))) wrote:
Boris is some good stuff. That cd with Sunn O))) was quite nice.
Got that Altar on vinyl. Quite nice. Though personally, I kind of prefer Boris' collaboration with Merzbow.

Rock Dream is most excellent Twisted Evil

Anyway I'm generally into Industrial/Neo-Folk/Noise/(Dark) ambient stuff.

Some of my fave artists/bands/etc:
-Rome
-Tactical Sekt
-Coil
-Merzbow
-Ministry
-Dioxyde
-Current 93
-Nachtmahr
-Tangerine Dream
-The Retrosic
-Emilie Autumn
-Chopin
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 1:16 am

Nephilim wrote:

Rock Dream is most excellent Twisted Evil

Boris and Merzbow are also responsible for what I think is the greatest Beatles cover ever made.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 8:03 am

That was a cool song. And I just listened to Feedbacker. That was some good stuff.

I really need to get some stuff by Boris.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 8:05 am

Loxx O))) wrote:
That was a cool song. And I just listened to Feedbacker. That was some good stuff.

I really need to get some stuff by Boris.
Most definitely. I would easily rank Boris somewhere in my personal Top 5.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 8:06 am

@Loxx 0)))

Straying from the previous topic, as a black metal man, who would you say is the best black metal band?
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 8:18 am

I'd probably give a generic answer like Darkthrone. Razz But I mean, they're well known and loved because they did put out some quality black metal albums.

And if you're asking out of curiosity of recommendations I'll scroll through my iPod and pick out some other great bands...

Alcest
Amesoeurs
Clair Cassis
Gallhammer has some great stuff to me but they're not strictly black
Heretoir
Sleeping Peonies
The Sun Came Up Upon The Left
Vit (I actually post on another board with their drummer, cool guy)
Vreid
Weakling

I'm really getting into the shoegaze/black metal type stuff.

Another band you might dig if you haven't heard them already is Sailors With Wax Wings. It's a supergroup of sorts. It's kind of ambient/post-rockish. They're great.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 8:21 am

I'm already familiar with the general black metal scene, I mostly just wondering your personal opinion. I've always been partial to Bathory.

I had a hard time getting into shoegaze. I can't say why, exactly; it just never clicked with me.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 8:26 am

Ah, cool. Yeah... it seems a lot of people hate on the whole shoegaze thing. I think it winds up sounding pretty nice when mixed with something like black metal. So, you're more of the 80's or first wave black metal?

I used to be pretty big into the second wave bands like Darkthrone, Burzum, Mayhem, etc... I still like them but I've been finding this new stuff to be more enjoyable. Oh man... and how did I forget about Wolves In The Throne Room? They're probably one of my favorite black metal bands. Razz
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 8:35 am

Loxx O))) wrote:
Ah, cool. Yeah... it seems a lot of people hate on the whole shoegaze thing. I think it winds up sounding pretty nice when mixed with something like black metal. So, you're more of the 80's or first wave black metal?

I used to be pretty big into the second wave bands like Darkthrone, Burzum, Mayhem, etc... I still like them but I've been finding this new stuff to be more enjoyable. Oh man... and how did I forget about Wolves In The Throne Room? They're probably one of my favorite black metal bands. Razz
Yeah, I generally prefer the older black metal bands to the newer ones. And I wouldn't really say I hate shoegaze, so much as it's just not my bag. I can listen to a little at a time, but it starts to wear on my before long.

I've been meaning to listen to Wolves in the Throne Room for a while now but never quite got around to it. Even my brother, a professed hater of black metal, enjoys them, so I figure they must be doing something right.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 8:43 am

Yeah, I didn't really like black metal all that much for a long time. There were bands I liked and that I would listen to for short periods of time... but Wolves was one of the first bands that I actually just enjoyed and made me want to get into the genre. I can't tell you what exactly it is about them that makes them better than other bands... but I do know a lot of people who have felt that way about Wolves.

This is the first song I heard by them and that got me interested.

Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 8:58 am

Pretty good stuff. Pretty sure my brother has a couple of their records, so I'll have to devote some time to them.

Probably my favorite black metal album if Bathory's Nordland. Many metal fans refuse to call it black metal, as it deviates considerably from the traditional style. But whatever you call it, it is a masterpiece.

Back to top Go down
Uzigon

Uzigon

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 10:00 am

thegormer wrote:
I am shocked at all the metal fans here. I thought I'd be the only one. I'm more of a thrash fan myself, although I do enjoy death, black, grind, etc. My favorite current band is Toxic Holocaust, who I just saw the other night in Dayton.

Honestly, I'm very well rounded. My music collection ranges from Cannibal Corpse to Kelly Clarkson.

Yea, it is a little surprising; but pretty fucking awesome at the same time, I grew up in the country side, and I thought it was cool actually being part of a metal scene in the city, but it just goes to show how global it's becoming. I used to listen to piles of electronic music and hip hop growing up, but since I started checking in with metal it's been a real natural progression of sound - there's always something new and interesting almost everyday I continue to explore.

Re: Boris and Sunn O)))

Two bands constantly recommended by one of my good buddies. I've been putting them on the back burner for awhile now, I'm thinking it's going to be a summer thing this year. Going to stick with my grind line-up until the snow clears up. Noise/Sludge I consider one of the upper echelons of the metal sub-genre game.

Re: Black metal bands

Something that is definitely off and on with me personally, I've taking a liking to some of the 'bastardizations' on black metal, but some of my favorites include:

Rotting Christ
Venom
Skeletonwitch
Cradle of Filth (early)
Absu
Belphegor
Satyricon
Behemoth
Wood of Ypres (Canadian black metal)

The Dude wrote:
I'm already familiar with the general black metal scene, I mostly just wondering your personal opinion. I've always been partial to Bathory.

I had a hard time getting into shoegaze. I can't say why, exactly; it just never clicked with me.

Thanks for the reminder! I keep forgetting to check out Bathory. I'm going to hook my hungry iPod up with 'Nordland' tonight.

Back to top Go down
thegormer

thegormer

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 12:00 am

Uzigon wrote:
Skeletonwitch

I freakin' LOVE Skeletonwitch, although I'm unsure how to classify them, exactly. Thrashy riffs, vocal styles range from the raspy black metal style to death metal growls, and NWOBHM-style guitar harmonies. I typically classify them as Blackened Thrash. I'm one of those genre whores.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 12:20 am

Uzigon wrote:
I'm going to hook my hungry iPod up with 'Nordland' tonight.
You gotta feed that thing, man.
Back to top Go down
bloodypitofhorror

bloodypitofhorror

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 12:32 am

Honestly, it depends on my mood. Some days all I want to listen to is Motley Crue, and other days, I'm listening to Christina Agulera.

So I'll just list the bands and artists that are always on my playlists:

Meat Loaf
Motley Crue
Daft Punk
Kanye West
Chameleon Circuit
Metallica
Voltaire
Creature Feature
Alice Cooper

I love metal music, but I don't care for death metal. I saw Lamb of God and I wish I didn't. The only genres I really can't stand are hard core rap and death/speed metal.

Last edited by bloodypitofhorror on Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://bloodypitofreviews.blogspot.com
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 12:33 am

Never liked Daft Punk. Except the Tron: Legacy soundtrack, though I may have only liked that because of the context.
Back to top Go down
bloodypitofhorror

bloodypitofhorror

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 12:34 am

The Dude wrote:
Never liked Daft Punk. Except the Tron: Legacy soundtrack, though I may have only liked that because of the context.

I got into them kind of late. Its one of those where it took me awhile to warm up to them.
Back to top Go down
http://bloodypitofreviews.blogspot.com
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 9:35 am

I've been listening to tons of Boris now. And it's all because of you, damnit. Razz
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 10:04 am

Loxx O))) wrote:
I've been listening to tons of Boris now. And it's all because of you, damnit. Razz
And all is right with the world.
Back to top Go down
anothercafejava

anothercafejava

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 8:58 am

I used to be a big Metalhead, but my tastes have evolved. I went from Cannibal Corpse and Deicide to Leftover Crack and Choking Victim, thus beginning the ascent into punk, folk, country, etc.

Top Played include:
Tom Waits
Bomb The Music Industry/Arrogant Sons of Bitches
Bad Religion
Misfits
Johnny Cash
Andrew Jackson Jihad
Daniel Johnston
Wingnut Dishwasher's Union
GG Allin
Arcade Fire
Ghost Mice
Less Than Jake
Buck 65
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 9:06 am

anothercafejava wrote:
I used to be a big Metalhead, but my tastes have evolved. I went from Cannibal Corpse and Deicide to Leftover Crack and Choking Victim, thus beginning the ascent into punk, folk, country, etc.

Top Played include:
Tom Waits
Bad Religion
Misfits
Johnny Cash
Andrew Jackson Jihad
Daniel Johnston
GG Allin
Arcade Fire
Ghost Mice
Less Than Jake
Buck 65
How 'bout that Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains?
Back to top Go down
anothercafejava

anothercafejava

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 9:13 am

The Dude wrote:
anothercafejava wrote:

Top Played include:
Tom Waits
Bad Religion
Misfits
Johnny Cash
Andrew Jackson Jihad
Daniel Johnston
GG Allin
Arcade Fire
Ghost Mice
Less Than Jake
Buck 65
How 'bout that Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains?

YES! Caught in the Act of Not Being Awesome just happens to get played at least a couple times every week on my iTunes. I'm excited to see how much Pat changed after rehab, I hope he's doing better, and that he continues to make music
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

So what kind of music are you guys into
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next