The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

So what kind of music are you guys into

Go down 
+39
Son Of Jack Deth
Frank Rizzo
BaphometConsumed
UnknownKadath
ScrotumusMaximus
Jacob
Mongoose
Mondo a Go-Go
relauby
KingLDub
yakityyakblah
LeperMessiah117
Kaneda
anothercafejava
bloodypitofhorror
Nephilim
TK6530
The Original Greaser Bob
Tommy Wiseau
thegormer
Scooter Hawk
Screwadu
New Blood
Griff Morivan
Eisblut
TobyMobias
DarthThought
guudermann
WrecklessEating
Entertainer13
A Cockatrice
MagnaRyu
Cactus_Matt
Uzigon
JustinDP
vidsub
JennyWoreBlack
Eckertmania
Loxx O)))
43 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 5 EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 5:02 pm

UnknownKadath wrote:

11. The Who (Quadrophenia - the whole album.)

I love you.
Back to top Go down
UnknownKadath

UnknownKadath

Location : I live in my namesake, of course!.. Okay, in real life - Japan.

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 1:24 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:

I love you.

Oh hai Tommy. D'aww, I love you too. I love you
Back to top Go down
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 1:28 am

UnknownKadath wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:

I love you.

I love you
Quadrophenia is my favourite album of all time, and the fact that it's still criminally underrated strikes a bad tone in me.
Back to top Go down
UnknownKadath

UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 1:36 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:

I love you.

I love you
Quadrophenia is my favourite album of all time, and the fact that it's still criminally underrated strikes a bad tone in me.

Yeh, honestly I can't think of a reason it hasn't gotten more love. My mum (Who got me into 90% of all the bands I like) says the only reason she can think of is the fact that it was standing in Tommy's shadow and struck a slightly sour note with the censors when it and the movie were released, plus there's the actual life incidents that inspired the album. Maybe it was "too soon." I guess I would've had to been alive in that period.

Regardless, it is easily my favourite Who album. I like pretty much all of their stuff, but it's the one that stuck with me. I frakken' love Tommy but I'll be honest and say that the experimental aspects of it didn't all clique with me, and Quadrophenia also has a much broader sound I think - whereas Tommy was a little more repetitive on occasions.
Back to top Go down
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 2:21 am

UnknownKadath wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:

I love you.

I love you

Yeh, honestly I can't think of a reason it hasn't gotten more love. My mum (Who got me into 90% of all the bands I like) says the only reason she can think of is the fact that it was standing in Tommy's shadow and struck a slightly sour note with the censors when it and the movie were released, plus there's the actual life incidents that inspired the album. Maybe it was "too soon." I guess I would've had to been alive in that period.

Regardless, it is easily my favourite Who album. I like pretty much all of their stuff, but it's the one that stuck with me. I frakken' love Tommy but I'll be honest and say that the experimental aspects of it didn't all clique with me, and Quadrophenia also has a much broader sound I think - whereas Tommy was a little more repetitive on occasions.

Don't forget, it's also standing in the shadow of Who's Next, which critics at the time pretty much hailed as a masterpiece (overrated, in my opinion).
Back to top Go down
BaphometConsumed

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 8:27 pm

I'm most into heavy metal, progressive rock, and a few other things. Some of my favourite bands:

-Black Sabbath
-Metallica (1983-1988)
-Slayer
-Morbid Angel
-Therion (death metal era)
-Possessed
-King Crimson
-Candlemass

UnknownKadath wrote:
I love all sorts of music. The only genre I don't like a single bit is Death Metal. I like some metal, and rarely complain that it's "just noise" but Death Metal IS just noise.

Not even close, actually.
Back to top Go down
UnknownKadath

UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 10:50 pm

[quote="Tommy Wiseau"][quote="UnknownKadath"][quote="Tommy Wiseau"][quote="UnknownKadath"][quote="Tommy Wiseau"]
UnknownKadath wrote:

Don't forget, it's also standing in the shadow of Who's Next, which critics at the time pretty much hailed as a masterpiece (overrated, in my opinion).

Who's next is a good album, though I suppose I haven't heard as much about it. Then again I'm still piecing together my knowledge of the good ol' 60s/70s bands so my history isn't complete. Truth be told I don't hear about "Who's Next" much, at least not amongst Who fans from my generation. Probably not saying much though, I don't really pay much mind to my generation because I have some sort of bias against it. *shrug*
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 10:53 pm

To me, the Who's big three has always been Tommy, Who's Next, and The Who Sell Out.
Back to top Go down
yakityyakblah

yakityyakblah

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 5 EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 12:17 am

I don't see how anyone could see this as just noise:

Back to top Go down
Son Of Jack Deth

Son Of Jack Deth

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 5 EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 12:35 am

yakityyakblah wrote:
I don't see how anyone could see this as just noise:

She has such a pretty singing voice. Smile
Back to top Go down
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 5 EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 1:05 am

UnknownKadath wrote:

Who's next is a good album, though I suppose I haven't heard as much about it. Then again I'm still piecing together my knowledge of the good ol' 60s/70s bands so my history isn't complete. Truth be told I don't hear about "Who's Next" much, at least not amongst Who fans from my generation. Probably not saying much though, I don't really pay much mind to my generation because I have some sort of bias against it. *shrug*

I guess back then, people loved the album for the great, and even amazing songs it has (mainly Won't Get Fooled Again, but also Baba O'Riley, Behind Blue Eyes, and I guess Going Mobile's pretty entertaining). Now that we've heard those songs several times for 40 years though, I guess their greatness wears thin and we get a thrown together album with lots of forgettable songs.

I have to agree with Frank Rizzo on The Who Sells Out, it's probably 2nd in my book.

Oh, and see those bolded words in your quote? Couldn't resist.
Back to top Go down
UnknownKadath

UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 5 EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 2:08 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:

I guess back then, people loved the album for the great, and even amazing songs it has (mainly Won't Get Fooled Again, but also Baba O'Riley, Behind Blue Eyes, and I guess Going Mobile's pretty entertaining). Now that we've heard those songs several times for 40 years though, I guess their greatness wears thin and we get a thrown together album with lots of forgettable songs.

I have to agree with Frank Rizzo on The Who Sells Out, it's probably 2nd in my book.

Oh, and see those bolded words in your quote? Couldn't resist.

Yeah, yeah, I figured someone would point that out. Put me sheepishly in line for the 3rd motion on Who Sells Out being pretty damn high up there. I will admit even though I love The Who, I am not as knowledgeable of them as other bands like Pink Floyd. In fact until I started collecting my vinyls, I probably couldn't have told you any other album name besides "Quadrophenia" or "Tommy" and could only name the songs I liked. I'll definitely hear all their stuff eventually though, as much as I obsess over treating my vinyls like my 2nd wife I do like listening to them. In fact my 1st wife got me a nice gift of a record player that can copy the vinyl to CD so I can archive the stuff I love most and then put them back in my collection where the penalty for even so much as blowing a dust-bunny in their direction will be quite dire.

Also - to those who have responded on my feelings on Death Metal, remember it's just opinion. I just feel Death Metal is obnoxious and it instigates migraines, which are never fun when you already have a chronic headache disorder and can be easily provoked. I have just not heard any death metal that sounded the faintest bit appealing to me.
Back to top Go down
yakityyakblah

yakityyakblah

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 5 EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 9:32 am

Well what appeals to you? Death Metal is a pretty wide genre, there might be something there for you.
Back to top Go down
UnknownKadath

UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 5 EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 6:16 pm

yakityyakblah wrote:
Well what appeals to you? Death Metal is a pretty wide genre, there might be something there for you.

Death Metal has its own sub-genres? I thought it was its own sub-genre and most of the stuff I've heard all had more or less the same style. Really what appeals to me at least for anything with "Metal" in the title is something that sounds cool with actual vocal or instrumental range that isn't growling or loud enough to induce migraines. I'll be honest and say even though I do like some classic metal it's still going down my rung of what I really like.
Back to top Go down
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 5 EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 1:19 am

UnknownKadath wrote:
yakityyakblah wrote:

Death Metal has its own sub-genres? I thought it was its own sub-genre and most of the stuff I've heard all had more or less the same style. Really what appeals to me at least for anything with "Metal" in the title is something that sounds cool with actual vocal or instrumental range that isn't growling or loud enough to induce migraines. I'll be honest and say even though I do like some classic metal it's still going down my rung of what I really like.

You probably won't like this, but I want to see what your opinion is anyways:
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 5 EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 1:24 am

I'm a fan of CC's song "Hammer Smashed Face"
Back to top Go down
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 5 EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 2:10 am

Frank Rizzo wrote:

Indeed, that song (and the whole album, in fact) is very fun.
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 5 EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 2:11 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
Frank Rizzo wrote:

First time I heard that song was in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective.
Back to top Go down
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 5 EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 2:51 am

Frank Rizzo wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:
Frank Rizzo wrote:

Heh, I love that scene.
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 5 EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 2:57 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
Frank Rizzo wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:
Frank Rizzo wrote:

Heh, I love that scene.

"What's the password?"

"New England....clam.....chowder...."
Back to top Go down
UnknownKadath

UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 5 EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 7:42 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:

You probably won't like this, but I want to see what your opinion is anyways:

Ugh. I didn't care for it. I'll give it this - it didn't give me as bad a headache as some other death metal songs I've heard, but I still didn't care for it. It didn't sound cool and it was extremely repetitive, it felt like there truly wasn't anything to the actual "tune" at all. I don't like growling vocals at all, unless it's just a brief part in a song like how sometimes someone might yell or whatever.

They're not really "heavy" metal as they are a bit softer usually; but my favourite metal band would prob be Lacuna Coil. I like them because they can sound both cool and even sometimes more melodic, and because their singer Christina Scabbia has an awesome voice and she's Italian (<3 Italian. Shame only one song of theirs is in Italian.) and I like their style. I like how in some songs, their male singer -Andrea Ferrero - will take over the main vocals, and Christina will actually sing Aria's. Never thought metal and Opera would mix, but I think they pull it off.

(That's the only one that's actually in Italian - and therefore my favourite.)

The last footnote I will add to the Death Metal/Metal/whatever debate here is this: If there is a Death Metal band I will tolerate to a degree, it's Dethklok - but only because I absolutely love Metalocalypse.
Back to top Go down
yakityyakblah

yakityyakblah

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 5 EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 8:23 am

UnknownKadath wrote:
yakityyakblah wrote:

Metal has more genres and sub genres than any other type of music. That's what happens when you basically qualify everything beyond a certain threshold metal.

Death Metal to keep things simple can be divided into melodic death metal, technical death metal, and symphonic death metal.

Most modern metal contains screaming of some form, even the more mainstream forms like metalcore. But there is power metal. Power metal is based on very fast playing and soaring melodic vocals. A lot of metal fans make fun of power metal for being really cheesy, which it definitely can be, but it might be up your alley.

and I guess I have to acknowledge this:

Back to top Go down
yakityyakblah

yakityyakblah

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 5 EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 8:35 am

Also, you might like these bands if you like Lacuna Coil:

Back to top Go down
UnknownKadath

UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 5 EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 8:52 am

yakityyakblah wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:
yakityyakblah wrote:

Metal has more genres and sub genres than any other type of music. That's what happens when you basically qualify everything beyond a certain threshold metal.

Death Metal to keep things simple can be divided into melodic death metal, technical death metal, and symphonic death metal.

Most modern metal contains screaming of some form, even the more mainstream forms like metalcore. But there is power metal. Power metal is based on very fast playing and soaring melodic vocals. A lot of metal fans make fun of power metal for being really cheesy, which it definitely can be, but it might be up your alley.

I think we are a little confused here. When you say Metal has more genres and sub-genres, I know that. I consider "Death metal" to be a sub-genre of Metal. I like a fair amount of Metal and some of its sub-genres. Those songs you linked me to don't really compute as Death Metal to me, I am not fully knowledgeable of all sub-genres of Metal to tell you what kind those 3 would compute as in my head - but they certainly aren't death metal as I know the genre. Most of the death metal I've heard comes from Dethclok, Death (Obviously...) GWAR, and the band Tommy posted above Cannibal Corpse. To me, the "Death" metal I have heard is all very repetitious strumming with no real "Tune," straight screaming or straight growling with lyrics about dead babies or how rape is awesome and loud enough to aggravate my migraines. I really enjoyed the first two tracks you linked me to (Especially the first), and I do NOT see them as Death Metal - the third isn't either, though I'm not the biggest fan of that song.

yakityyakblah wrote:
Also, you might like these bands if you like Lacuna Coil

I fucking love Nightwish. I hadn't heard of the others, thanks for the recommendations.
Back to top Go down
BaphometConsumed

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 5 EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 9:08 am

Try out some of this:

All of this is pretty overtly melodic, especially the Septic Flesh tunes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So what kind of music are you guys into   So what kind of music are you guys into - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

So what kind of music are you guys into
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next