The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Snobish Heresy

Go down 
+46
80'sDavid
ChaosTheory
Spitfire
NotMarkyMark
wildhoney66
Kayna
Frank Rizzo
Santa Dog II
VonSpyder
AVPGuyver21
Dr. Poqui-chan
bjohn268
AssimanDHI
daipanda
MonkeyMan
Son Of Jack Deth
polygonalchemist
morpheuslow
moonsknight
Entertainer13
IAKO
oneyedjohn
Mondo a Go-Go
TheCinemaCynic
Deadpool
Tommy Wiseau
Eckertmania
Angie Matera
Mother of Invention
ermac
LeperMessiah117
UnholyMephistopheles
relauby
Salim
Admin
tonythe chosen
A Cockatrice
bloodypitofhorror
Cactus_Matt
Tobbii
JustinDP
Second Hand Store
The Original Greaser Bob
Screwadu
Griff Morivan
50 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Griff Morivan

Snobish Heresy Empty
PostSubject: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 7:23 pm

Okay. While we're still in the introductions and everything, warming up Ye Olde Forum, it's a natural that eventually, we need to discuss our less positive points. Or at least, where we brush against the grain. That's this thread. Consider this the confessional. Snobbery be damned, this is where you make admissions that make other film buffs, gamers, audiophiles and bibliophiles cringe in disgust. Be it that you think Mega Man is a pedestrian game series, or you thought that Transformers 2 was a cinematic achievement. Give us your best.

For me, my biggest confession of Heresy is a newer development. I can not fucking stand Stanley Kubrick. If you come on TSE's vent, you probably know about Streetwraith, a guy who frequents the vent. Well, we got to talking, and he pointed out all these... problems, with Kubrick's style. And while I'm not nearly as fully versed in these issues as he is, the more I try to go back and rewatch these movies, the more I see he's right. Now, it's not to say I hate all of Kubrick. I like the first half of Full Metal Jacket. But the rest... I dunno. I really just can't stand his style these days.

I'm working on relieving the problem, but I am a cinematic newbie. Raised in kind of a sheltered life, I was raised mostly on popcorn flicks and the PG side of the spectrum of cinema. It's really only been since I turned seventeen or so that I've started to see good movies, and so many of the classics, I still need to see. So as much as I fancy myself a buff, I'm no where near.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Morivanism.wordpress.com
Screwadu

Screwadu

Snobish Heresy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 7:59 pm

For a second there I thought you said "brush against the groin" and oh, the memories just came rushing back.
Back to top Go down
http://thetexasunderground.blogspot.com/
Griff Morivan

Snobish Heresy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 8:04 pm

Screwadu wrote:
For a second there I thought you said "brush against the groin" and oh, the memories just came rushing back.
That concerns me on like... eight levels.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

Snobish Heresy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 1:00 am

I didn't like Inception as much as everyone else seemed to.
Back to top Go down
Griff Morivan

Snobish Heresy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 1:13 am

Actually, I'm with you there. I thought it was fine, it was a decent flick, but I think it kinda suffers from this weird thing where it was the mainstream movie that was accessible and good for everyone, but because it's been so long since a mainstream accessible came out, everyone drooled all over the fucking thing. Which is kind of a shame, you know? Cause it was a good flick. It just... wasn't THAT good, c'mon, people.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

Snobish Heresy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 1:19 am

Griff Morivan wrote:
Actually, I'm with you there. I thought it was fine, it was a decent flick, but I think it kinda suffers from this weird thing where it was the mainstream movie that was accessible and good for everyone, but because it's been so long since a mainstream accessible came out, everyone drooled all over the fucking thing. Which is kind of a shame, you know? Cause it was a good flick. It just... wasn't THAT good, c'mon, people.
Yeah, I liked it well enough, and there were a lot of cool looking scenes, but I never felt that any of the characters were ever fully fleshed out. Also, it kind of bugged me how they spend time explaining every remote mechanism of the dream world, except for how they're all sharing the same dream to begin with.

Also the ending pissed me off.
Back to top Go down
Second Hand Store

Second Hand Store

Snobish Heresy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 5:45 am

I honestly think the Godfather movies are terribly overrated. They aren't bad. I don't know, I just found them extremely middle of the road. In fact I couldn't sit through Part 2. It was so boring, and I can sit through slow paced long movies. I actually really love 2001, especially the first thirty minutes, which are without dialogue. I just don't get why they are such lauded films.

I also frakking hated There Will Be Blood. Ugh, what a horrible soundtrack.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

Snobish Heresy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 6:31 am

SumatranRatMonkey wrote:
I also frakking hated There Will Be Blood. Ugh, what a horrible soundtrack.
Well man, at least it wasn't the Watchmen soundtrack.
Back to top Go down
Screwadu

Screwadu

Snobish Heresy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 6:40 am

I haven't seen one of the movies Snob talks about. I'm more the ROBOT MONSTER-era type of awful.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

Snobish Heresy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 6:44 am

Screwadu wrote:
I haven't seen one of the movies Snob talks about. I'm more the ROBOT MONSTER-era type of awful.
Come to mention it, I don't think I have either. Not even Troll 2 or Dolomite...I need to remedy this.
Back to top Go down
Screwadu

Screwadu

Snobish Heresy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 7:54 am

I take it back. After perusing the archives, I realized that I have seen a few Snob films, wayyyyy back on new release day in the mom-n-pop video store by the barracks. I blame my lack of memory on the fact that when I was picking them out I was usually plastered out of my mind on a deadly combination of Domino's, pork skins and Raspberry Ripple.

Slugs
Friday the 13th, Part V: A New Beginning
Troll
Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky
Deathrow Gameshow
Silent Night Deadly Night, Part 2
New Year's Evil

Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

Snobish Heresy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 7:55 am

Would it be poor snobbery to say that James Cameron and Christopher Nolan are possibly the two most overrated directors in Hollywood?
Back to top Go down
JustinDP

JustinDP

Snobish Heresy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 10:14 am

I have to agree with the whole Stanley Kubrick thing.

I wanted to like the guy. I enjoyed the first half of Full Metal Jacket immensely. The second half not so much. When I tried to watch 2001 I legitimately fell asleep.

Still, I'm willing to give the guy a shot, as I haven't seen A Clockwork Orange yet.

People always seem to find it shocking I didn't enjoy Shaun of the Dead much. But it wasn't that I absolutely hated it as a film. I just went into it going "okay, parody of zombie movies" and I didn't feel they really went as far with it as they could have. Though admittingly British humor doesn't always click with me.
Back to top Go down
Griff Morivan

Snobish Heresy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 12:11 pm

JustinDP wrote:
I have to agree with the whole Stanley Kubrick thing.

I wanted to like the guy. I enjoyed the first half of Full Metal Jacket immensely. The second half not so much. When I tried to watch 2001 I legitimately fell asleep.

Still, I'm willing to give the guy a shot, as I haven't seen A Clockwork Orange yet.

People always seem to find it shocking I didn't enjoy Shaun of the Dead much. But it wasn't that I absolutely hated it as a film. I just went into it going "okay, parody of zombie movies" and I didn't feel they really went as far with it as they could have. Though admittingly British humor doesn't always click with me.
Honestly, half the draw of the Simon Pegg (I know there is a more apt name, but it's the first coming to mind) is the fact that these movies are remarkably dry comedy. And that... you kind of have to have a bone dry sense of humor to get into it.

As for Clockwork Orange... well, it's certainly dated. It's probably the one I enjoy the most, but that's probably because Malcolm McDowell more than anything Kubrick accomplished. It's just... I dunno. It's not that it's bad, cause of the Kubrick movies, this one is probably the least... I dunno. Kubricky... well, no, that's not true...

Okay, I have no idea why I like that one better than the others.
Back to top Go down
Second Hand Store

Second Hand Store

Snobish Heresy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 2:41 pm

I didn't care for Clockwork Orange. 2001, Shining, Fullmetal, and especially Dr. Strangelove, I loved. That's all I really have to say about it. I can see why some people don't like them. It's whatevs.
Back to top Go down
Tobbii

Tobbii

Snobish Heresy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 4:18 pm

I fucking hate James Cameron, every statement or comment he makes is plain stupid and his movies in the past 20 years has SUCKED. Also, Avatar is terrible.

I LOVE Star Wars: Episode III, I never understood the hatred for this part of the prequel trilogy, don't get me wrong. I HATE Episode I and Episode II was really boring. But Episode III is in my view up there with the rest of the original trilogy.

I think Nicolas Cage is the most underrated actor in hollywood at the moment.

I thought The Wicker Man was a good film, even outside the goofy aspect.

I love Tron and Tron: Legacy.

But the biggest heresy is...

I really do like Uwe Boll's Alone in the Dark, I think it's a pretty faithful sequel to the terrible AitD: The New Nightmare that was meant to reboot the franchise with the entire "Abkani" things. It always bugged me when people go "He obviously knows nothing of AitD" when he actually took his time to research upon the then new reboot which was set to be a series. Of course 1 comic, 1 game and 1 film later it flopped and we got a new sequel to the original trilogy ignoring the comic, game and film reboot meaning that the second AitD film had NOTHING to do with the previous film and was in fact much worse even though it wasn't made by Boll.
Back to top Go down
http://sirtobbii.blogspot.com
Cactus_Matt

Cactus_Matt

Snobish Heresy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 5:33 pm

I thought Scott Pilgrim vs The World was the worst movie I saw last year.

The Godfather, Star Wars, Jurassic Park and Indiana Jones are all highly overrated. Most I can't even sit through.

And I love The Spice Girls Movie.
Back to top Go down
bloodypitofhorror

bloodypitofhorror

Snobish Heresy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 12:51 am

Okay, don't hit, but I hated the Star Trek movie and loved Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy movie. Oh and I loved the A-Team movie.

I think I need help.

Last edited by bloodypitofhorror on Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://bloodypitofreviews.blogspot.com
bloodypitofhorror

bloodypitofhorror

Snobish Heresy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 12:52 am

Tobbii wrote:
I fucking hate James Cameron, every statement or comment he makes is plain stupid and his movies in the past 20 years has SUCKED. Also, Avatar is terrible.

I LOVE Star Wars: Episode III, I never understood the hatred for this part of the prequel trilogy, don't get me wrong. I HATE Episode I and Episode II was really boring. But Episode III is in my view up there with the rest of the original trilogy.

I thought The Wicker Man was a good film, even outside the goofy aspect.

But the biggest heresy is...

I really do like Uwe Boll's Alone in the Dark, I think it's a pretty faithful sequel to the terrible AitD: The New Nightmare that was meant to reboot the franchise with the entire "Abkani" things. It always bugged me when people go "He obviously knows nothing of AitD" when he actually took his time to research upon the then new reboot which was set to be a series. Of course 1 comic, 1 game and 1 film later it flopped and we got a new sequel to the original trilogy ignoring the comic, game and film reboot meaning that the second AitD film had NOTHING to do with the previous film and was in fact much worse even though it wasn't made by Boll.

OH, I hated Avatar as well. I was so bored.
Back to top Go down
http://bloodypitofreviews.blogspot.com
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

Snobish Heresy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 1:00 am

Tobbii wrote:
I fucking hate James Cameron, every statement or comment he makes is plain stupid.

I LOVE Star Wars: Episode III

Agreed. I'm not sure I don't love Episode III, but it's still a worthy entry.
Back to top Go down
JustinDP

JustinDP

Snobish Heresy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 1:05 am

I'm rare in the sense that I actually liked all six of the Star Wars films. I never really had any issues with the newer trilogy. Ewan McGreggor is pretty top notch, as was Liam Neeson before him. The only really downside to me was Hayden's "acting" in certain scenes.
Back to top Go down
A Cockatrice

A Cockatrice

Snobish Heresy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 1:13 am

JustinDP wrote:
I'm rare in the sense that I actually liked all six of the Star Wars films. I never really had any issues with the newer trilogy. Ewan McGreggor is pretty top notch, as was Liam Neeson before him. The only really downside to me was Hayden's "acting" in certain scenes.

I honestly thought that the Phantom Menace was an OK movie, I also enjoyed Revenge of the Sith quite a bit. But I'm with the bandwagon on hating Clone Wars for the forced romance.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

Snobish Heresy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 1:20 am

JustinDP wrote:
It's very hard to connect Hayden to James Earl Jones.

To be honest, I liked all of the Star Wars films except for Phantom Menace, and even then I'd be lying if I were to say that there wasn't a single cool moment.
Back to top Go down
tonythe chosen

Snobish Heresy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 2:41 am

I think Gus Van Sants films SUCK. just really cant stand them.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

Snobish Heresy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 2:47 am

I fucking hated both Juno and Where the Wild Things Are.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Snobish Heresy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy Empty

Back to top Go down

Snobish Heresy
Page 1 of 11Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Cinema Snob :: Other Stuff :: General Discussion-
Jump to: