The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Mystery Science Theater 3000

Go down 
+8
Inquisitor
Tabascofanatikerin
Angie Matera
Mondo a Go-Go
ChaosTheory
wildhoney66
theGerman
Frank Rizzo
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Empty
PostSubject: Mystery Science Theater 3000   Mystery Science Theater 3000 EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 8:24 pm

Can't believe this forum has been going almost a year and a half now and we're only just *now* creating a thread on MST3K.

So come on then lads (and lasses), what are your thoughts on this wonderful show?
Back to top Go down
theGerman

theGerman

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000   Mystery Science Theater 3000 EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 11:21 pm

It's one of the reason I hate not growing up in America...was able to catch some episodes on YT like Pod People, Pumaman or Laserblast. The only thing I got besides that is the DVD for the MST3K-Movie. Never knew why they even bothered to release it here, because I don't remember, that the show actually aired in any form here.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000   Mystery Science Theater 3000 EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 1:22 am

honestly i thought there was a thread for it! i love it it's as simple as that. i own sets 1-3. than jump ahead i have 24-25 i believe. plus also 'the crawling hand, mitchell' all on dvd. and on VHS i have 'Gunslinger' i think that's about it.

though i did download the entire show from various sites it took me nearly 4 years to finish doing that. i finsished earylier this year in fact. but i still plan on getting the whole show on dvd IF i can. so i've got the KTMA years. well the released episodes that is. i don't have the so called Lost episodes that Jim Mallon has in his house.

DAMN HIM! PUT THEM OUT FUCKER! ya know? i don't care how bad they are i want to ya know SEE THEM!
speaking of if you watch starting with episode 4 i believe you will see the change in the show on how the 4th episode is easily the worst one in the entire history of the show cause it's just Joel in the theatre. but if you watch the show

from the 4th the show slowly gets better. it's hard to tell if you watch them out of order though.
city of death is my favorite one from that season. if i ever meet the guys i'll tell them this too.

just like i'll say this, if you go in expecting the show to be as good as say in season 5. you will be dissapointed
but if you go in knowing they had no budget at all, and only did it for fun back than. no scripts and did it only to fill a time
slot.and you go in with in open mind like i did you will enjoy it. but it takes awhile to get used to the original format.

josh is annoying. but honestly once you get used to him i don't mind him that much. but of course tv's frank is a LOT better by far. there's no doubt about that. has anyone other than me seen all the KTMA episodes?
Back to top Go down
ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000   Mystery Science Theater 3000 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 4:03 am

This show holds a special place in my heart, for sure! I discovered it pretty late: it was freshman year of college & I'd found that Saturday mornings were the best time to do laundry, so I'd sit & watch this while I waited for my clothes to dry. Instant addiction cyclops I have volumes 4, 5, 12 & 14 and MITCHELL on dvd and ATOMIC BRAIN, THE MOTION PICTURE & MANOS on VHS. I'm hoping to add more. You can catch a lot of the complete eps on youtube now that the video time limit has changed, even KTMA eps, so that's cool too.

Has anyone caught any of the Cinematic Titanic videos? It's Joel, Frank, Trace, Mary Jo and I think Josh doing basically the same thing as MST3K (really ghastly flicks too like LEGACY OF BLOOD and FRANKENSTEIN"S CASTLE OF FREAKS).
Back to top Go down
http://anxietycloset.storenvy.com
Mondo a Go-Go

Mondo a Go-Go

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000   Mystery Science Theater 3000 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 6:20 am

ChaosTheory wrote:
This show holds a special place in my heart, for sure! I discovered it pretty late: it was freshman year of college & I'd found that Saturday mornings were the best time to do laundry, so I'd sit & watch this while I waited for my clothes to dry. Instant addiction cyclops I have volumes 4, 5, 12 & 14 and MITCHELL on dvd and ATOMIC BRAIN, THE MOTION PICTURE & MANOS on VHS. I'm hoping to add more. You can catch a lot of the complete eps on youtube now that the video time limit has changed, even KTMA eps, so that's cool too.

Has anyone caught any of the Cinematic Titanic videos? It's Joel, Frank, Trace, Mary Jo and I think Josh doing basically the same thing as MST3K (really ghastly flicks too like LEGACY OF BLOOD and FRANKENSTEIN"S CASTLE OF FREAKS).

I saw Cinematic Titanic live and it was a hoot! They riffed "Rattlers," a Harry Novak flick about snakes. The cast was really gracious, too, and they stayed for signings and the like long after the show.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000   Mystery Science Theater 3000 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 12:22 pm

see i can't get into their shit after MSTK3000 for some reason. i dunno why but the magic feels gone. it just isn't the same i guess. and i enjoy the KTMA days honestly. if you watch them in order you can see the writing getting slowly better. one joke i wish they had kept was calling the mads Dickweeds! they used that joke like i think

once or twice during i think the 1st offical season aka the 2nd season and that's about it.
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000   Mystery Science Theater 3000 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 12:28 pm

And the movie too... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000   Mystery Science Theater 3000 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 8:47 am

it's been a long time since i last saw the movie. but it breaks my heart that there was pretty much no

fucking promotion for it! none and it flopped because of that and also cause the film it went up against which i forget what it was right now. i believe was a HUGE A list movie that kicked it's ass.
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000   Mystery Science Theater 3000 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 9:13 am

the story goes that the executives for Universal were down to two movies to do major promotion for, MST3K The Movie or Barbed Wire, the Pamela Anderson action flick.

.....three guesses as to which one got the major promotion.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000   Mystery Science Theater 3000 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 9:23 am

only 3 come on? i have tried to watch barb wire many times. and it's just so BAD that i wish brad would do it but it's a year after his cut off date. damn i wish he would get rid of that. but oh well i guess. anyways. honestly other than her looks i've never seen why people love pamela anderson. she has no talent at all whatsover.

Back to top Go down
Angie Matera

Angie Matera

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000   Mystery Science Theater 3000 EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 7:26 am

one of my top shows ever. i own all the volumes on dvd and the movie on vhs.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/angelina.matera
Toyland Chairman

Toyland Chairman

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000   Mystery Science Theater 3000 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 7:04 am

A hit and miss show, but MST3K is one of my favorite shows. I like Mike more to be honest. The movies and riffing just got better as the series progressed. The Joel episode CATELINA CAPER is one of my favorites, though.

Last edited by Toyland Chairman on Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000   Mystery Science Theater 3000 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 7:53 am

some people prefer mike and some prefer Joel. i like both guys honestly. each had their own style. like any show they did some great shows and some weak ones no matter which season you are in. god i miss this show
Back to top Go down
Toyland Chairman

Toyland Chairman

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000   Mystery Science Theater 3000 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 8:11 am

wildhoney66 wrote:
some people prefer mike and some prefer Joel. i like both guys honestly. each had their own style. like any show they did some great shows and some weak ones no matter which season you are in. god i miss this show

Apparently Cinematic Titanic is ending. Or at least no longer touring. I wonder if they would be able to pull off a second MST3K movie. A reunion film would rock, but apparently the cast is either too busy, or Jim Mallon has no interest. There's plenty of public domain films to choose from.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000   Mystery Science Theater 3000 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 8:13 am

or they just feel the show has run it's course and since they had the guys come home to earth at the end of the series there would be no reason for them to go back up in space.
Back to top Go down
Toyland Chairman

Toyland Chairman

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000   Mystery Science Theater 3000 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 8:26 am

wildhoney66 wrote:
or they just feel the show has run it's course and since they had the guys come home to earth at the end of the series there would be no reason for them to go back up in space.

They could probably make a good story that explains their return to space, but somehow I doubt they would bother.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000   Mystery Science Theater 3000 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 8:29 am

as much as i would love if they returned to it i also doubt they would do that as well. also another reason is as you know the film flopped when it came out due to the studio that released it. no promotion for it. the limited run and the very little theatres it played in. and the time it was put out in. i forget what was released at the same time. but that film fit into the show honestly.

and they closed the offices of Big Brain or whatever the company is called. other than having the dvd's put out. that's it.

Back to top Go down
Tabascofanatikerin

Tabascofanatikerin

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000   Mystery Science Theater 3000 EmptyWed Mar 05, 2014 4:17 pm

I really like the concept of MST3K!
And I really wish this series would be available in Europe but it was never aired on TV and either you order it from the US or order the few available, very expensive VHS tapes at German Amazon or have to get the series in not-so-kosher ways.

The only thing we (in Germany) got was the movie (including "This Island Earth" ), released in about 2005 with a German dubbing that actually got pretty well although a bunch of jokes had to be changed for German audiences. Even one of my favourite comedians was involved in the dubbing and writing. But thank God there's also the original audio on the same DVD.
Anyway, I saw the movie and laughed my ass off. I loved it!

However, I do really want to get to know the series better. I hope I can catch up on as many episodes as possible in the future.
Back to top Go down
http://tabascofanatikerin.deviantart.com
ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000   Mystery Science Theater 3000 EmptyWed Mar 05, 2014 10:44 pm

"Mitchell" is a really good gateway episode. "Giant Spider Invasion," "Girl in Gold Boots," "The Atomic Brain," the two "Hired" shorts, "Final Sacrifice" and "Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla" are all good ones to start with too.
If either youtube or netflix is an option for you, there's a lot of episodes available there.

Back to top Go down
Inquisitor

Inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000   Mystery Science Theater 3000 EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 7:02 pm

wildhoney66 wrote:
only 3 come on? i have tried to watch barb wire many times. and it's just so BAD that i wish brad would do it but it's a year after his cut off date. damn i wish he would get rid of that. but oh well i guess. anyways. honestly other than her looks i've never seen why people love pamela anderson. she has no talent at all whatsover.

Snapping my fingers man, you heard 'em, I heard 'em.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/9527-barbwire
Back to top Go down
Skibz

Skibz

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000   Mystery Science Theater 3000 EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 8:52 pm

Inquisitor wrote:
wildhoney66 wrote:

Snapping my fingers man, you heard 'em, I heard 'em.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/9527-barbwire

I love 'Barb Wire'...there are infinitely worse films than that one, but diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, I guess. I agree with Ebert's review, it's hard to hate something so committed to its own stupidity.

Same for Pam Anderson; she ain't gonna win an Academy Award or anything, but as someone foolish enough to walk the thin line between ironic and genuine enjoyment of both 'Baywatch' and 'V.I.P.', I think she works perfectly for the type of camp schlock that she specializes in.

I thought RiffTrax did 'Barb Wire', but apparently I'm wrong? I'm really surprised they haven't gotten around to that one, especially considering how Gramercy infamously chose to spend money marketing 'Barb Wire' over 'MST3k: The Movie', inevitably contributing to the failure of the latter.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theskibz
metateen

metateen

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000   Mystery Science Theater 3000 EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 10:00 pm

I do love me some MST3K although its been a while since I've seen it.

I do enjoy the Angels Revenge episode mainly for the obscurity of the film as well as some of the references. Let's not forget that charming song! "Shine your love" ... A personal favorite of mine. Pod People and Incredible Melting Man are close seconds. ~
Back to top Go down
ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000   Mystery Science Theater 3000 EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 12:21 am

It seems Shout! Factory is trying to get the show syndicated on PBS.

http://www.mst3kinfo.com/?p=18637

That would be pretty sweet! If it happens they should start with OVERDRAWN AT THE MEMORY BANK Laughing
Back to top Go down
AstaKask

AstaKask

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000   Mystery Science Theater 3000 EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 1:06 am

Could they cover The Room?
Back to top Go down
Skibz

Skibz

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000   Mystery Science Theater 3000 EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 3:47 pm

AstaKask wrote:
Could they cover The Room?

RiffTrax already tackled that one: http://www.rifftrax.com/the-room

They actually did a surprisingly good job on it. 'The Room' already provides a plethora of laughs on its own; trying to riff it would be like trying to riff a comedy and I don't envy the guys for having attempted it. Similarly, it's not as good as the one they did for 'Birdemic' but better than the one they did for 'Troll 2'.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theskibz
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000   Mystery Science Theater 3000 Empty

Back to top Go down

Mystery Science Theater 3000
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next