The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Snobish Heresy

Go down 
+46
80'sDavid
ChaosTheory
Spitfire
NotMarkyMark
wildhoney66
Kayna
Frank Rizzo
Santa Dog II
VonSpyder
AVPGuyver21
Dr. Poqui-chan
bjohn268
AssimanDHI
daipanda
MonkeyMan
Son Of Jack Deth
polygonalchemist
morpheuslow
moonsknight
Entertainer13
IAKO
oneyedjohn
Mondo a Go-Go
TheCinemaCynic
Deadpool
Tommy Wiseau
Eckertmania
Angie Matera
Mother of Invention
ermac
LeperMessiah117
UnholyMephistopheles
relauby
Salim
Admin
tonythe chosen
A Cockatrice
bloodypitofhorror
Cactus_Matt
Tobbii
JustinDP
Second Hand Store
The Original Greaser Bob
Screwadu
Griff Morivan
50 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Angie Matera

Angie Matera

Snobish Heresy - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy - Page 8 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 8:21 am

i saw equilbrium and i hated it
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/angelina.matera

▲

PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy - Page 8 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 7:10 pm

Angie Matera wrote:
i saw equilbrium and i hated it
THISTHISTHIS
I can't stand that movie
Back to top Go down
AssimanDHI

PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy - Page 8 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 10:48 pm

Some of you were talking about NGE.
Hate to say this, but NGE is just poor man's version of Space Runaway Ideon. Sorry.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy - Page 8 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 3:08 am

AssimanDHI wrote:
Some of you were talking about NGE.
Hate to say this, but NGE is just poor man's version of Space Runaway Ideon. Sorry.
I don't know much about anime, but I know what I like.
Back to top Go down
AssimanDHI

PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy - Page 8 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 9:15 am

Take it as a suggestion.
NGE has so many similiarities to Ideon, that you would probably like Ideon as well.
Back to top Go down
Angie Matera

Angie Matera

PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy - Page 8 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 5:08 pm

AssimanDHI wrote:
Take it as a suggestion.
NGE has so many similiarities to Ideon, that you would probably like Ideon as well.
Yeah i am a big fan of both series lol. im noit a fan of naruto or bleach though
Back to top Go down
Angie Matera

Angie Matera

PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy - Page 8 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 5:11 pm

Son Of Jack Deth wrote:
I think Insurrection is the best of the Star Trek next generation crew films.

I abhor Kevin Smith movies except Clerks.

I hated Jurassic Park 2, X-Men 2, Spiderman 2, and thought The Dark Knight was terribly over-rated.
i am a fan of kevin smith except cop out and jersey girl. i agree with u on jurrassic park 2 and i hate all 3 spider mans. i dont know if this is more geek herisey then snob hersey but i have never seen a single thing involing anything after the oringal crew.(except the new Star trek but has the oirngal crew just new actors)
Back to top Go down
Son Of Jack Deth

Son Of Jack Deth

PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy - Page 8 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 10:06 pm

Angie Matera wrote:
Son Of Jack Deth wrote:

I hated Jurassic Park 2, X-Men 2, Spiderman 2, and thought The Dark Knight was terribly over-rated.
i am a fan of kevin smith except cop out and jersey girl. i agree with u on jurrassic park 2 and i hate all 3 spider mans. i dont know if this is more geek herisey then snob hersey but i have never seen a single thing involing anything after the oringal crew.(except the new Star trek but has the oirngal crew just new actors)

Star Trek is more a generational thing, so I wouldn't call it any sort of heresy myself to have not seen them. I grow up in a period when Star Trek 2 was a theatrical event. Since that film, I have only missed one Star Trek film in the theater and that was Nemesis (and that turned out to be a good choice).

As for Kevin Smith films, he is all yours. Smile
Back to top Go down
Angie Matera

Angie Matera

PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy - Page 8 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 3:01 am

Son Of Jack Deth wrote:
Angie Matera wrote:
Son Of Jack Deth wrote:

Star Trek is more a generational thing, so I wouldn't call it any sort of heresy myself to have not seen them. I grow up in a period when Star Trek 2 was a theatrical event. Since that film, I have only missed one Star Trek film in the theater and that was Nemesis (and that turned out to be a good choice).

As for Kevin Smith films, he is all yours. Smile
Oh it is kinda ironic that i who am only 21 only know the oringal series and movies lol
Back to top Go down
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy - Page 8 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 8:33 am

I third the Equilibrium hate.
Back to top Go down
bjohn268

PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy - Page 8 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 8:39 am

While I don't hate manga, I hate that some of their readers have the attitude that reading One Peice or what-ever-flavor-of-the-month is superoir then the lastest Batman, Spider-Man or Green Lantern. Sometimes I just want to tell all of the 14-year-olds who horde around the manga section at Barnes and Noble that all their reading is a poorly drawn, poorly written black and white comic book.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy - Page 8 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 9:30 am

bjohn268 wrote:
While I don't hate manga, I hate that some of their readers have the attitude that reading One Peice or what-ever-flavor-of-the-month is superoir then the lastest Batman, Spider-Man or Green Lantern. Sometimes I just want to tell all of the 14-year-olds who horde around the manga section at Barnes and Noble that all their reading is a poorly drawn, poorly written black and white comic book.
Hmm...second.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Poqui-chan

Dr. Poqui-chan

PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy - Page 8 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 10:11 am

I like "The Boondock Saints"

I think this might be the worst first post ever.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Poqui-chan

Dr. Poqui-chan

PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy - Page 8 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 10:19 am

bjohn268 wrote:

If you're going to insult an entire medium at least don't list a shounen as your example. Much like Spiderman, One Piece stopped being good a long time ago.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy - Page 8 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 11:18 am

Dr. Poqui-chan wrote:
bjohn268 wrote:

If you're going to insult an entire medium at least don't list a shounen as your example. Much like Spiderman, One Piece stopped being good a long time ago.
He's not insulting the media, he's expressing disdain for the kind of kids who get a sense of superiority from reading manga while shunning western comics.
Back to top Go down
Mondo a Go-Go

Mondo a Go-Go

PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy - Page 8 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 6:38 pm

I didn't hate the 2009 Friday the 13th. It was more an alternate part 2 or 3 than a remake, which made it easier to accept. I couldn't stand most of the characters and the "kids doing stuff/each other" scenes that pad out the plot and murder parts of the movie, but when it was good I thought it really worked. Clay's hunt to find his sister was cool in a vaguely giallo way, it didn't have that glossy, modern horror look, and the continuity nods were fun (recreating the end of the first movie and announcing it as such, Jason wearing the Town that Dreaded Sundown pillowcase from Part 2 until finding the mask in the barn recreated from Part 3, campers telling Jason's story around the fireplace like in Part 2, etc.). It absolutely could have been better, but for what it was, I didn't mind.
Back to top Go down
bjohn268

PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy - Page 8 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 7:37 pm

The Dude wrote:
Dr. Poqui-chan wrote:
bjohn268 wrote:

He's not insulting the media, he's expressing disdain for the kind of kids who get a sense of superiority from reading manga while shunning western comics.

Yes, many of it's readers think their reading something more then what it is...a comic book from Japan. Just like die hard anime fans...at the end of the day, all you're watching is a cartoon...from Japan...no better or worse then Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny or Scooby Doo.
Back to top Go down
moonsknight

PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy - Page 8 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 8:44 pm

bjohn268 wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Dr. Poqui-chan wrote:
bjohn268 wrote:

Yes, many of it's readers think their reading something more then what it is...a comic book from Japan. Just like die hard anime fans...at the end of the day, all you're watching is a cartoon...from Japan...no better or worse then Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny or Scooby Doo.

You're kind of comparing apples and oranges. Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, and Scooby Doo can be compared to a few anime, like Azumanga Daioh and other "slice of life" and comedy anime that don't have any sort of overarching plot, but if you're going to compare the majority of anime to western cartoons at least use cartoons of a similar vein. Justice League, Gargoyles, Batman: The Animated Series, and so on are all much better comparisons than Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny when talking about most anime.

Back to top Go down
Son Of Jack Deth

Son Of Jack Deth

PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy - Page 8 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 9:02 pm

moonsknight wrote:
bjohn268 wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Dr. Poqui-chan wrote:
bjohn268 wrote:

You're kind of comparing apples and oranges. Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, and Scooby Doo can be compared to a few anime, like Azumanga Daioh and other "slice of life" and comedy anime that don't have any sort of overarching plot, but if you're going to compare the majority of anime to western cartoons at least use cartoons of a similar vein. Justice League, Gargoyles, Batman: The Animated Series, and so on are all much better comparisons than Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny when talking about most anime.

I believe Bjohn's point wasn't comparative style or story, but that to the Japanese "anime" is simply short for "animation" and to them is no different than the way we perceive animation here.
Back to top Go down
bjohn268

PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy - Page 8 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 10:01 pm

[quote="Son Of Jack Deth"]
moonsknight wrote:
bjohn268 wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Dr. Poqui-chan wrote:
bjohn268 wrote:

I believe Bjohn's point wasn't comparative style or story, but that to the Japanese "anime" is simply short for "animation" and to them is no different than the way we perceive animation here.[/quote]

Yes, at the end of the day Manga is just a comic book, from Japan. It's in the same relm as DC or Marvel. And yes, at the end of the day anime is a cartoon, from Japan. And it's in the same relm as Disney, Loony Toons and Hanna-Barbera.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Poqui-chan

Dr. Poqui-chan

PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy - Page 8 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 1:29 am

[quote="bjohn268"]
Son Of Jack Deth wrote:
moonsknight wrote:
bjohn268 wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Dr. Poqui-chan wrote:
bjohn268 wrote:

I believe Bjohn's point wasn't comparative style or story, but that to the Japanese "anime" is simply short for "animation" and to them is no different than the way we perceive animation here.[/quote]

Yes, at the end of the day Manga is just a comic book, from Japan. It's in the same relm as DC or Marvel. And yes, at the end of the day anime is a cartoon, from Japan. And it's in the same relm as Disney, Loony Toons and Hanna-Barbera.

That's stupid. Something isn't any less of an artform because it is animated or drawn. It's just as legitimate a medium as literature or film. Comparing Evangelion or Akira to Looney Toons is like comparing the films of Alfred Hitchcock to Jingle All the Way.
Back to top Go down
bjohn268

PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy - Page 8 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 1:51 am

[quote="Dr. Poqui-chan"]
bjohn268 wrote:
Son Of Jack Deth wrote:
moonsknight wrote:
bjohn268 wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Dr. Poqui-chan wrote:
bjohn268 wrote:

That's stupid. Something isn't any less of an artform because it is animated or drawn. It's just as legitimate a medium as literature or film. Comparing Evangelion or Akira to Looney Toons is like comparing the films of Alfred Hitchcock to Jingle All the Way.

I never said it was less of an artform. I just find it interesting that many die hard manga and anime fans think it's more than what it is, a comic book and cartoon. At the same time dismissing DC/Marvel and anyother American animation, because their just comic books or cartoons.

But manga is no better or worse then DC or Marvel. And anime is no better or worse then Loony Toons or Hanna-Barbera.

Maybe you need to take off the wapanese and weeaboo glasses.

Last edited by bjohn268 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dr. Poqui-chan

Dr. Poqui-chan

PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy - Page 8 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 1:55 am

[quote="bjohn268"]
Dr. Poqui-chan wrote:
bjohn268 wrote:
Son Of Jack Deth wrote:
moonsknight wrote:
bjohn268 wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Dr. Poqui-chan wrote:
bjohn268 wrote:

I never said it was less of an artform. But manga is no better or worse then DC or Marvel. And anime is no better or worse then Loony Toons or Hanna-Barbera.

Maybe you need to take off the wapanese and weeaboo glasses.

Alright, then I guess all film is on the same level as Looney Tunes as well.
As for weeaboo, do you even know what that means? I don't fucking want to be Japanese.
Back to top Go down
IAKO

PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy - Page 8 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 2:01 am

Comparing Evangelion and Akira to Looney Tunes is definitively not like comparing a Alfred Hitchcock movie to Jingle All the Way. There's supposedly some really brilliant moments in the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons, Tex Avery directed some of these and he's definitively not highly regarded for nothing. But these and Akira are still very different kind of cartoons, can't really compare them.

I think there's some misunderstanding here, it doesn't matter if were talking about good/bad American comics/cartoons or a good/bad Japanese manga/cartoon, they are still all included in the "comic book"/"cartoon" art form. Of course, Akira is probably better than you're average shitty kid cartoon, whatever the country of origin is.

Unless, maybe I'm reading all of this wrong.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Poqui-chan

Dr. Poqui-chan

PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy - Page 8 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 2:04 am

I Am a Knock Off wrote:
Comparing Evangelion and Akira to Looney Tunes is definitively not like comparing a Alfred Hitchcock movie to Jingle All the Way. There's supposedly some really brilliant moments in the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons, Tex Avery directed some of these and he's definitively not highly regarded for nothing. But these and Akira are still very different kind of cartoons, can't really compare them.

I think there's some misunderstanding here, it doesn't matter if were talking about good/bad American comics/cartoons or a good/bad Japanese manga/cartoon, they are still all included in the "comic book"/"cartoon" art form. Of course, Akira is probably better than you're average shitty kid cartoon, whatever the country of origin is.

Unless, maybe I'm reading all of this wrong.

I think we're all reading this wrong. This feels like one big clusterfuck of misunderstanding.
Also yes comparing akira to Looney Tunes is like comparing Alfred Hitchcock to Jingle All the Way in that they're both very different things that share nothing in common but the fact that they're either film or animation. Anime and manga are comic books and cartoons, but comic books and cartoons are on the same level as film, so his entire point is stupid.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Snobish Heresy   Snobish Heresy - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Snobish Heresy
Page 8 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Cinema Snob :: Other Stuff :: General Discussion-
Jump to: