The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Eli Roth hate

Go down 
+23
OrlandoEastwood
Son Of Jack Deth
MonkeyMan
Angie Matera
Tommy Wiseau
Bassbait
KingLDub
IAKO
Entertainer13
Deadpool
Mondo a Go-Go
smallerdemon
relauby
DarthThought
tonythe chosen
Uzigon
bloodypitofhorror
thegormer
The Original Greaser Bob
Tobbii
DesertEagle
DrProfessor
Cactus_Matt
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Cactus_Matt

Cactus_Matt

Eli Roth hate Empty
PostSubject: Eli Roth hate   Eli Roth hate EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 6:13 am

Brad has made it very clear he doesn't like Eli Roth's films, which is a shame because for almost everything else that Brad reviews I agree with him. But I don't really understand this hatred, I mean it'd be different if Eli was making PG-13 remakes of classic horror or was trying to change horror for the worse, but his films are gory and sometimes even funny. I suppose his hatred of Roth films just annoys me because Hostel, Part II is my favourite horror film of all time and wished it got the recognition from a like-minded guy like Brad.

Anyone else got an opinion on this? Or if you're out their Brad, care to elaborate on the hate?
Back to top Go down
DrProfessor

DrProfessor

Eli Roth hate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Eli Roth hate EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 6:15 am

I'm not a fan of Eli Roth's movies either. I mean sure they have fun gore but that's about it. His characters are assholes, but not endearing assholes. I dunno, I just think he tries to hard.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/travis.whilden
DesertEagle

Eli Roth hate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Eli Roth hate EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 6:16 am

Brad's foremost criticism of Elie Roth is the way he writes dialog and the random crap he throws in his movies such as the "Pancakes!" kid.
Back to top Go down
Tobbii

Tobbii

Eli Roth hate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Eli Roth hate EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 6:17 am

I can't stand Eli Roth, and especially not Hostel.
Back to top Go down
http://sirtobbii.blogspot.com
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

Eli Roth hate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Eli Roth hate EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 6:27 am

I obviously can't speak for Brad, but I can say why I myself thought that seeing Roth decapitated was the single best moment in Piranha 3-D.

1. His sense of humor is immature at best, infuriating and degrading to the viewer at worst.
  2. Despite having built up a reputation for making immensely gory movies, he shys away from most scenes involving any explicit depiction of mutilation or murder.
  3. He is incapable of creating one...single sympathetic character.
  4. His dialogue has all the charm of an enema.
  5. He makes legitimately awful movies and tries to save face by calling them "homages", which I call bullshit on.

I could go on...
Back to top Go down
Cactus_Matt

Cactus_Matt

Eli Roth hate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Eli Roth hate EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 6:34 am

Wow, shame to see all the Eli Roth hate, he's my second favourite horror director.
Back to top Go down
DrProfessor

DrProfessor

Eli Roth hate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Eli Roth hate EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 6:44 am

Cactus_Matt wrote:
Wow, shame to see all the Eli Roth hate, he's my second favourite horror director.
To each their own. I love asian movies with British dubs. My friends all cant stand them but it's an acquired taste, like Eli Roth.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/travis.whilden
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

Eli Roth hate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Eli Roth hate EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 6:48 am

DrProfessor wrote:
Cactus_Matt wrote:
To each their own. I love asian movies with British dubs. My friends all cant stand them but it's an acquired taste, like Eli Roth.
It is amusing to hear Yakuza enforcers saying "Oi" every couple of lines, isn't it?
Back to top Go down
thegormer

thegormer

Eli Roth hate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Eli Roth hate EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 6:51 am

The only good thing Eli Roth has ever done as a filmmaker was the "Thanksgiving" trailer. Can't wait to see him fuck that up as a feature.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

Eli Roth hate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Eli Roth hate EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 7:19 am

thegormer wrote:
The only good thing Eli Roth has ever done as a filmmaker was the "Thanksgiving" trailer. Can't wait to see him fuck that up as a feature.
I just don't get why Tarantino keeps giving him work. Did he lose a bet against Roth? Did he make some kind of Faustian deal-with-the-devil, and Eli Roth is his trade-off?
Back to top Go down
Cactus_Matt

Cactus_Matt

Eli Roth hate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Eli Roth hate EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 7:24 am

The Dude wrote:
thegormer wrote:
I just don't get why Tarantino keeps giving him work. Did he lose a bet against Roth? Did he make some kind of Faustian deal-with-the-devil, and Eli Roth is his trade-off?

Maybe he likes his films. Just because you don't doesn't mean Tarantino doesn't. Like DrProfessor said he is an acquired taste.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

Eli Roth hate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Eli Roth hate EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 7:29 am

I'm willing to grant that some people like them man; he wouldn't have a career otherwise. What confounds me is the why, because from where I'm sitting, everything about him and his works exudes unlikeableness. And I don't know if acquired taste is the answer, because I can easily picture myself watching Hostel a hundred times, only to dislike it just as much as the first time.
Back to top Go down
Cactus_Matt

Cactus_Matt

Eli Roth hate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Eli Roth hate EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 7:37 am

The Dude wrote:
I'm willing to grant that some people like them man; he wouldn't have a career otherwise. What confounds me is the why, because from where I'm sitting, everything about him and his works exudes unlikeableness. And I don't know if acquired taste is the answer, because I can easily picture myself watching Hostel a hundred times, only to dislike it just as much as the first time.

I guess that's the point of contention because I have nothing but fondness for him, I think he's charming and that comes through in his work. I don't know, I suppose this becomes one of those 'agree to disagree' scenarios...
Back to top Go down
bloodypitofhorror

bloodypitofhorror

Eli Roth hate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Eli Roth hate EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 8:08 am

I don't know, maybe I'm weird, but I like Eli Roth. I'm not a huge fans of his movies, but I enjoy them in a campy sort of way. They make for excellent drinking games. I don't know, I think what made me like him wasn't his films, but his appearance in a documentary about snuff films. If you saw it, you'd either think the guy was smart and knew horror movies, or thought he was creepy.
Back to top Go down
http://bloodypitofreviews.blogspot.com
Cactus_Matt

Cactus_Matt

Eli Roth hate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Eli Roth hate EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 8:10 am

bloodypitofhorror wrote:
I don't know, maybe I'm weird, but I like Eli Roth. I'm not a huge fans of his movies, but I enjoy them in a campy sort of way. They make for excellent drinking games. I don't know, I think what made me like him wasn't his films, but his appearance in a documentary about snuff films. If you saw it, you'd either think the guy was smart and knew horror movies, or thought he was creepy.

Hooray! I'm not alone! lol
Back to top Go down
Uzigon

Uzigon

Eli Roth hate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Eli Roth hate EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 8:31 am

Cactus_Matt wrote:
bloodypitofhorror wrote:

I also agree, although I don't really consider him that great of a director, I like the 'Hostel' pictures quite a bit for their trashy quality. Just a pile of campy non-sense to set up for some entertaining torture and murder sequences.

I honestly couldn't make it through 'Cabin Fever' though, it wasn't really working for me in the first 45 min and I had a pile of DVDs to get through so I skipped it. Although, I did thoroughly enjoy 'Cabin Fever 2', Brad set me on that one and it led me to discover Ti West's other gem 'The House of the Devil'.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

Eli Roth hate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Eli Roth hate EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 9:03 am

Cactus_Matt wrote:

Quite the contrary, it almost seems like the Roth-haters are in the minority here.
Back to top Go down
tonythe chosen

Eli Roth hate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Eli Roth hate EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 9:05 am

I honestly cant stand Eli Roths films but he seems to know his horror facts and i thought he was awsome in inglorious bastards
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

Eli Roth hate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Eli Roth hate EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 9:14 am

tonythe chosen wrote:
I honestly cant stand Eli Roths films but he seems to know his horror facts and i thought he was awsome in inglorious bastards
I disagree with a lot of his horror opinions.
Back to top Go down
DarthThought

DarthThought

Eli Roth hate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Eli Roth hate EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 2:07 pm

OK I'm not going to begrudge you your liking the man; but like many i can't stand the man when he's behind the camera.

His dialog is bland and stilted at best

His characters are unlikeable to the point of wanting to see them dead, and yes this happens in a lot of horror movies but the main contention of hate is how unbeliveably stupid they are not GOD I CAN'T STAND THEIR FACE

His movies are gorefests, with no real cohesion. Horror shouldn't simply be gore it's meant to make you scared not make you shocked at how much blood it can fit into every screen!

Though that's my side of it, and as for why Tarintino keeps giving him work? Well isn't it obvious that they are friends on and off screen? He's used in alot of Tarintino's films, Tarintino gave him the greenlight to put his name on Hostel, and the trailers in grindhouse are evidence to that. Just because someone doesn't do the same quality of movie doesn't mean the person can't be a friend. I loathe Roth but I wouldn't begrudge someone to be a fan of his
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

Eli Roth hate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Eli Roth hate EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 1:12 am

DarthThought wrote:

Though that's my side of it, and as for why Tarintino keeps giving him work? Well isn't it obvious that they are friends on and off screen? He's used in alot of Tarintino's films, Tarintino gave him the greenlight to put his name on Hostel, and the trailers in grindhouse are evidence to that. Just because someone doesn't do the same quality of movie doesn't mean the person can't be a friend. I loathe Roth but I wouldn't begrudge someone to be a fan of his
That only raises more questions, though, because I've seen numerous interviews and commentaries that all involve Eli Roth, and just hearing him talk is enough to piss me off.

And as for his movies being gorefests: as far as I can tell, it's gore in-name-only. I've never seen anything particularly shocking in a Roth film, or even particularly well-done. He has a habit of cutting away from the most gruesome scenes. I don't mind a horror movie that's just out for blood and gore, so long as the film maker rembers to actually include said blood and gore.
Back to top Go down
relauby

relauby

Eli Roth hate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Eli Roth hate EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 2:51 am

I've only ever seen Cabin Fever, but in that one at least it felt like he was trying too hard. Especially with the Pancakes! kid, you can tell how desperately he wanted something silly and random in his movie for laughs. And I think people stop finding incredibly random things funny in junior high.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

Eli Roth hate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Eli Roth hate EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 6:48 am

Relauby wrote:
I've only ever seen Cabin Fever, but in that one at least it felt like he was trying too hard. Especially with the Pancakes! kid, you can tell how desperately he wanted something silly and random in his movie for laughs. And I think people stop finding incredibly random things funny in junior high.
So...he has all the wit of a fourteen-year-old girl who yells "WAFFLES!" followed by the statement "lol I'm so random."
Back to top Go down
Cactus_Matt

Cactus_Matt

Eli Roth hate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Eli Roth hate EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 5:40 pm

The Dude wrote:
Relauby wrote:
So...he has all the wit of a fourteen-year-old girl who yells "WAFFLES!" followed by the statement "lol I'm so random."

I still find random things funny... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Tobbii

Tobbii

Eli Roth hate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Eli Roth hate EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 7:32 pm

Cactus_Matt wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Relauby wrote:

I still find random things funny... Crying or Very sad

Random things can be really funny, but as soon as someone calls themselves random it's just a big facepalm of awfulness. And that goes for real life as well.
Back to top Go down
http://sirtobbii.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

Eli Roth hate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Eli Roth hate Empty

Back to top Go down

Eli Roth hate
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next