The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Go down 
+81
Tabascofanatikerin
Razzly
Inquisitor
Skibz
Ninty64X
The_Stone_Guest
Toyland Chairman
ZappaDave
Alyxx
metateen
80'sDavid
aga
EvilSpirit
AstaKask
EccentricSnob
fubar_in_pittsburgh
perkele
kraufen
jasn0_X
Hybrid Pig-Boy
polygonalchemist
Subterfuge
Longinus
theGerman
Kayna
Weezy-LUiGi
The Man in Black
Eckertmania
Santa Dog II
ItsVince725
gunflyer
Ashxking
PanzerschreckLeopard
LeMunson
Randy Spears
Brakywaki
Tykittaa
Indiana Groans
DanteRespite
Rudiger
Jerky McSquirt
IAKO
UnholyMephistopheles
Salim
Captain Smack-Pigeon
Second Hand Store
Candyman
TheCinemaCynic
barrylikesbnbns
moonsknight
Vendaval FJ
O'Hara
Dyson sphere
unrealbe
gregmcduck
Angie Matera
obin_gam
KingLDub
UnknownKadath
MonkeyMan
Son Of Jack Deth
relauby
Bassbait
PCDOS
Frank Rizzo
ScrotumusMaximus
Mondo a Go-Go
tonythe chosen
Tommy Wiseau
Lady stardust
ermac
LeperMessiah117
Kaneda
A Cockatrice
Mother of Invention
JustinDP
The Original Greaser Bob
LucasChad
thegormer
Minuto
85 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
AuthorMessage
Tabascofanatikerin

Tabascofanatikerin

What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 37 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 37 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 11:44 pm

Movies I watched in the last few weeks:

The neverending Story (German version)

A rewatch after many years. I enjoyed it again and it was a very nice experience to watch this fantasy movie of my childhood again.

The Master

It's weird...everyone praises "The Master" but I can't. Don't get me wrong, it's a decend movie about how cults might work (and it's clear as sunlight that this cult in the movie is suppoused to be Scientology, just look at the techniques, the time area, the ship, how they talk...!) but in the end leaves too many unanswered questions to the viewer who might have looked for answers. In the end I even felt that this cult was the best thing the main character could happen to (a character who wrecks his life with alcohol, aggression, lack of love and interest in others and an unhealthy sexual appetite). If you ask me I can even recommend a German TV movie about Scientology more which is called "Until nothing remains", a movie that names the cult and the bad consequences, based on real events.
"The Master" is not a bad movie but I wouldn't praise it as a masterpiece.

Let there be light

The main bonus material on the "The Master" DVD. It's a 1946 documentary about traumatized soldiers coming back from World War II and how well they got treated and healed. Historically it's very interesting to watch but no one can tell me that a traumatized person, soldier or no soldier, can be healed - in such little time - like nothing bad happened. Also, the scenes are "not staged"? I don't quite think so.

Sin City: A Dame to kill for

Finally I could see this movie (and even had the whole room for myself). And even though I agree to Brad Jones that the long time span might be fault of the film's box office failures I still think it's a good "Sin City" movie and in it you don't feel the nine years difference that much (aside from the late actors that, of course, couldn't be cast). I had fun, there were really good and beautiful scenes, also some really painful scenes and some good cameos (Christopher Lloyd Very Happy)).
Sure it has elements that sucked or were a bit boring, I wasn't impressed like I was in 2005 when the first movie came out (and when I was "just" 21) and I don't think the sequel is better but I say the movie is fun, go watch it.
Back to top Go down
http://tabascofanatikerin.deviantart.com
ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 37 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2014 8:38 pm

Tabascofanatikerin wrote:
Movies I watched in the last few weeks:

The Master

It's weird...everyone praises "The Master" but I can't. Don't get me wrong, it's a decend movie about how cults might work (and it's clear as sunlight that this cult in the movie is suppoused to be Scientology, just look at the techniques, the time area, the ship, how they talk...!) but in the end leaves too many unanswered questions to the viewer who might have looked for answers. In the end I even felt that this cult was the best thing the main character could happen to (a character who wrecks his life with alcohol, aggression, lack of love and interest in others and an unhealthy sexual appetite). If you ask me I can even recommend a German TV movie about Scientology more which is called "Until nothing remains", a movie that names the cult and the bad consequences, based on real events.
"The Master" is not a bad movie but I wouldn't praise it as a masterpiece.

I found THE MASTER disappointing, partly b/c I just did not care about Joaquin Phoenix's character at all, but also it seemed like the movie was holding back in some ways regarding the methods of the officially-not-Scientology-but-it-absolutely-is cult. Effective and creepy performances from Hoffman and Amy Adams, but I've seen better.

Last night THE ACT OF KILLING was on PBS, and wow. It follows Anwar Congo and some of the other high-level killers from Indonesia's paramilitary takeover in the 1960s. The director asked these people to make their own movie about the events (which, from the clips shown, is a straight-up propaganda piece) and follows them in the process of making it. What's disturbing about this movie, isn't even the awful things they did, but how open and casual they all are about it. Congo seems to get upset reliving the past, but is he really feeling remorse, fear of being depicted as a monster, or is everything in this movie an act? I'm not sure. 8.5/10
Back to top Go down
http://anxietycloset.storenvy.com
perkele

perkele

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 37 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2014 10:31 pm

Con Air - Pretty standard mid 90's action film. Personally I like a more insane Nicolas Cage, but his performance was ok. Malkovich was the one who stole the show this time. The action just kept going and going for a little too long, so I kinda zoned out in the end.
Back to top Go down
perkele

perkele

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 37 EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 4:59 pm

Oh, forgot to mention the creepy scene with Steve Buscemi and that little girl. What the hell was that all about? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
EccentricSnob

EccentricSnob

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 37 EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 10:30 pm

I actually saw two John Waters movies recently, and yes, I'm finally getting around to see his movies.

Desperate Living - Best part is the creativity of this movie, and it's sorta like GTA as in you like seeing this characters in a movie (plus it essentially takes you to another world of sorts), but would never want to meet them. Biggest issue is that the film just felt slow at parts, but still a good watch - 7/10.

Female Trouble - Again, very similar to Desperate Living, and similar pros and cons. However, the ending was lame in this, and at least in Desperate Living John figured out what characters he wanted to succeed in the end as opposed to this. Still, it's good. 6.5/10
Back to top Go down
ZappaDave

ZappaDave

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 37 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 12:46 pm

i'm watching part of Frank Zappa's Baby Snakes before i have to go to an appointment. Great concert flick. Love the way they filmed it.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 37 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 6:46 am

i met John waters waaaaaay back in (1995) he was a nice guy actually. the last film i watched was that Charlie Chan film "Behind the curtain' (1929) which is Boris Karloff's 1st sound film but the film itself was a piece of shit.
Back to top Go down
Tabascofanatikerin

Tabascofanatikerin

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 37 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 5:05 pm

Lately I finally sat down and watched the 2004 remake of "Dawn of the Dead" (the original 1978 version is among my favourite movies).
I have to say that the remake is a very fine zombie movie. It showed good zombies and fine effects but it also concentrated on the surviving of the protagonists which was very cool and even came up with great ideas (like the games the survivers invent to keep entertainment up). And the mall scenario still works fine. Also it's one of the zombie movies where the characters are rememberable (especially Ving Rhames is awesome).
However, I dislike the musical choices (I like metal and punk and stuff, but songs like "People who died" just don't fit here) and the abrupt endings of important scenes (one or two times because of the music). Like the remake tries too hard to be hip and cool for younger adults. Still, definitely worth a watch.

Yesterday I watched my dad's DVD "Van Halen Live: Right here, right now". It's the only official filmed live concert by Van Halen from 1993.
And yes, the band served great music and put much energy in their performance, I also enjoyed the solo numbers (maybe except for the drum solo). However, the visual quality could have been better and it's very confusing when
1. the film's actually combining two concerts (from two evenings in Fresno, CA) so the band members constantly change clothes from scene to scene and you wonder what music from which evening you're actually listening to
2. the concert gets interrupted from time to time whenever a band member has something to tell about the music, the band... (which was filmed before or after the concerts).
I'd say it was a fine experience with some minor flaws on DVD.
Back to top Go down
EccentricSnob

EccentricSnob

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 37 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 9:31 pm

wildhoney66 wrote:
i met John waters waaaaaay back in (1995) he was a nice guy actually.

Lucky, you met him before I was born.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 37 EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 4:25 am

which version did you watch of dawn of the dead anyways? i have the directors cut of it and i love it. and that's a remake i didn't expect to say that about. apparently the directors cut from what my brother told me. he saw it in the theatre way back when. and it's got more character development and so on. like that girl's father' who died he had been bitten. in the directors cut his part was bigger than in the theatrical cut. just to use as an example.

as for John Waters he was promoting a book he had written back in (1987) i think? his bio and i think it had been reissued or something? reprinted whatever the hell it's called? either way if i met him today i'd prolly buy a film of his on blu-ray for him to sign.
Back to top Go down
Tabascofanatikerin

Tabascofanatikerin

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 37 EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 11:25 pm

Dead Alive (a.k.a. Braindead)

While I was packing all my DVDs yesterday for moving I remembered that I should refresh my memories of the classic horror movie "Dead Alive" again which I haven't seen in years.
Damn, it's still a wonderful splatter movie! And immediately I remembered why I loved this movie so much: A movie being so over the top it's great again including a lot of humour, splatter & gore, a goofy hero, a funny girlfriend and great zombie creatures.
It was a good idea to rewatch "Dead Alive" and to see that it's still one of my favourite movies (maybe not top 5 or so but still!).
Back to top Go down
ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 37 EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 11:03 pm

THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL - Wes Anderson's latest is the tale of a social-climbing hotel concierge (Ralph Fiennes) and his lobby boy protogé Zero (Tony Revolori) who get caught up in a murder and will dispute among the upper class; also there's a military regime in place b/c the hotel is kind of in a war zone. It's Agatha Christie meets, well, Wes Anderson.
Lots of minor roles and cameos from former Anderson casts including Willem Dafoe, Adrien Brody, Edward Norton, Tilda Swinton, Jason Schwartzman, Harvey Keitel, Owen Wilson, Bob Balaban, and of course, Bill Murray. I loved this a lot, but not quite as much as MOONRISE KINGDOM. 8.5/10
Back to top Go down
Otaku4Life

Otaku4Life

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 37 EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 11:20 am

"Transformers: Age of Extinction"
What a piece of shit that was.
I rented this for free from my local Redbox with a winning Monopoly game piece from McDonald's.
Back to top Go down
EccentricSnob

EccentricSnob

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 37 EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 8:36 pm

Eating Raoul: Definition of a hidden gem and a hell of a dark comedy. 10/10
Back to top Go down
perkele

perkele

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 37 EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 9:04 pm

So I was watching TV last night and saw few movies. Although I was playing Civ 4 at the same time so it might be more fair the say that I only saw like 2/3 from each one of them...

Anyway, the first one was The Thing (2011). Yes, it's bad. Although I wasn't AS mad as Brad and the others were... It's just such a useless piece of fucking nothingness that has none of the things that made the John Carpenter version one of my personal favorites of all time.

Next up: Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning. Ok at this point I really should have turned off the pc because I had no fucking clue what was going on most of the time. I remembered that Brad had talked about this one at some point, so I went and watched his vlog, and I pretty much agree on what he said. The movie is fucking weird and dark in tone, but the action was awesome.
Back to top Go down
ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 37 EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 11:03 pm

THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY - Ben Stiller as a guy who's never gone anywhere or done anything, can barely work up the nerve to talk to his office crush (Kristen Wiig). He lives through his daydreams until work forces him to track down an elusive photojournalist. I was pretty charmed by this; I could really sympathize with Walter and it had gorgeous setpieces. I also loved the EHarmony guy (Patton Oswalt). 7/10

FIRESTARTER - Pretty okay King adaptation, the strongest elements were the performances from Drew Barrymore and George C. Scott. The "fire shooting" effects haven't aged too well though. 6/10

XMEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST - The most ambitious Xmen movie yet
Pros:
1.DAT FASS
2.Peter Dinklage owning it as Trask, the villain who thinks he's the good guy
3.James McAvoy gives like a Shakespeare-level performance here, esp. in the first half.
4.Hugh Jackman gets nekkid.
5. I was really expecting to hate Quicksilver (because of those asinine Hardee's commercials) but he was hilarious.

Cons:
1. I'm sick of everything revolving around Wolverine. Nothing against Jackman, I just find that character so boring.
2. The narrative was pretty good overall, but I think they're trying a little too hard to keep the continuity of the series together. I think they could do a lot more if they had hit "reset" with FIRST CLASS.
3. But seeing as they didn't, I would've gotten into Mystique's storyline more if it had been Rebecca Romijn playing her instead of Jennifer Lawrence.
4. So just what the hell was JFK's mutant power supposed to be? Really stiff hair and extra lying skills? That plot point was stupid.
5. I hate Nice Guy Beast. Fuck him. Fuck him right in his whiny ear.

I had fun though. 8/10.
Back to top Go down
perkele

perkele

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 37 EmptySun Oct 19, 2014 12:25 am

ChaosTheory wrote:

Cons:
1. I'm sick of everything revolving around Wolverine. Nothing against Jackman, I just find that character so boring.
I didn't really consider Wolverine to be the main character here. He was simply moving the plot forward, but the film itself is about Xavier and Magneto. And I really like the Wolverine character, but he needs and interesting plot and other interesting characters around him, hence why i thought the 2013 Wolverine movie was fucking boring.
Quote :
2. The narrative was pretty good overall, but I think they're trying a little too hard to keep the continuity of the series together. I think they could do a lot more if they had hit "reset" with FIRST CLASS.
I agree that the continuity is pretty much messed up beyond belief at this point. Most importantly I can't fathom how the beginning of this movie fits with the rest of the series. And *SPOILERS* it's really confusing how at the end of Wolverine (2013) Xavier and Magneto ask Wolverine for help, obviously foreshadowing Days of the Future Past, but those films take place something like a decade apart from each other. Whaaaa..?
Quote :
3. But seeing as they didn't, I would've gotten into Mystique's storyline more if it had been Rebecca Romijn playing her instead of Jennifer Lawrence.
But they did reset everything, didn't they? As of the end of days of future past, none of the earlier movies ever happened besides First Class and Wolverine is now the only one who remembers those events.
Quote :

4. So just what the hell was JFK's mutant power supposed to be? Really stiff hair and extra lying skills? That plot point was stupid.
Yeah, that was probably the dumbest moment in the franchise.
Quote :

I don't mind him.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 37 EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 10:58 am

i havent' seen this yet. but i plan too. i hear there's a longer cut that's coming out next year and i plan on getting that. anyways, i love Beast. i dunno how he is in the film so i can't complain about it. anyways the last thing i watched wasn't a film but i bought "The Tenth Planet' for you doctor who fans and it's a good serial but it's not a favorite of mine to be honest.
Back to top Go down
ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 37 EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 2:28 am

[quote="perkele"]
ChaosTheory wrote:

Cons:
I didn't really consider Wolverine to be the main character here. He was simply moving the plot forward, but the film itself is about Xavier and Magneto. And I really like the Wolverine character, but he needs and interesting plot and other interesting characters around him, hence why i thought the 2013 Wolverine movie was fucking boring. [quote]

I agree that the love-hate relationship between Charles & Erik is (and always has been) the true driving force of the movies, and probably what most people are actually going to them to see. But Wolverine is, for whatever reason, the character the filmmakers always market the hardest and they put him at the forefront when he really shouldn't be. In the comic version of DoFP I think it was actually Kitty who went back in time; there wasn't any real reason to change that.
I didn't see the 2013 Wolverine movie. I saw the other one (in the theater like a dummy) and that was plenty bad enough.

Quote :
But they did reset everything, didn't they? As of the end of days of future past, none of the earlier movies ever happened besides First Class and Wolverine is now the only one who remembers those events.
Quote :

Prof X seemed to remember the same things too, but maybe not. The options for APOCALYPSE do seem pretty wide open. I'm standing by my statement that Romijn is a better Mystique though :p

Quote :

I don't mind him.

Here's the thing about guys like Hank McCoy. Their lives are ten times harder than everyone else's and nothing is ever their fault; and they will always let you know about it. If you don't have one in your life consider yourself very very lucky.
It probably doesn't help that I really liked Kelsey Grammer's version of the character in X3 (which was about the only good thing in that movie.)

anyway, sorry about the late response, I've been at work.
Back to top Go down
ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 37 EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 2:37 am

Saw THE EQUALIZER this weekend. It was okay.
Back to top Go down
perkele

perkele

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 37 EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 4:41 am

One more minor thing about the x-men, I think the reason why Xavier knows about those "erased" events is because he reads Wolverine's mind.
Back to top Go down
The_Stone_Guest

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 37 EmptySat Nov 01, 2014 1:48 am

I saw the WW-II film Fury the other day.

Shia LaBeouf is in it. He plagiarizes the late Bruno Kirby's mustache.
Back to top Go down
http://the-stone-guest.livejournal.com/
Otaku4Life

Otaku4Life

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 37 EmptySat Nov 01, 2014 8:22 am

I've watch free RedBox rentals using my winning Monopoly pieces from McDonald's.
"Transformers; Age of Extinction"
"Godzilla 2014"
"47 Ronin"
"American Hustle"
"Neighbors"
Back to top Go down
ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 37 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2014 1:16 am

The MGM channel ran a Vincent Price marathon on Halloween. I managed to catch THE PIT & THE PENDULUM, THE HAUNTED PALACE, FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER, MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH and COMEDY OF TERRORS.

Back to top Go down
EccentricSnob

EccentricSnob

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 37 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2014 5:21 am

Citizen Toxie: Toxic Avenger IV: Managed to dethrone Poultrygeist as my favorite Troma movie, and it is amazing. I mean, can you really go wrong with a Diaper Mafia in your B-movie, or even a side-kick named Lardass? - 10/10 (And yes, I've also seen the original. I honestly prefer this movie because this one is way more over-the-top and funnier than the original).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 37 Empty

Back to top Go down

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?
Page 37 of 41Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next