The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

HBO Yakuza Series Coming Soon

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Otaku4Life

Otaku4Life

HBO Yakuza Series Coming Soon Empty
PostSubject: HBO Yakuza Series Coming Soon   HBO Yakuza Series Coming Soon EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 7:23 pm

Last night, I was at the Japan Society in New York City to meet Robert Whiting (author of "Tokyo Underworld").

He mentioned that there will be a HBO series about the yakuza coming soon called, what else, "Tokyo Underworld".

It's by the producers of the "Sopranos" and the pilot will be directed by Martin Scorsese.

Originally, it was suppose to be a feature film by Dreamworks, Paramount and Warner Bros.

It was also suppose to be a "3-hour R-rated epic with lots of sex and violence" that was turned into a "PG-13 comedy/drama with Ben Stiller's name attached to it".

There were 14 scripts written by Jason Cahill ("The Sopranos") and Nicholas Pileggi ("GoodFellas").

But was put on hold after being threatened by lawsuits and would be called "an embarrassment" to Japan.

However, HBO had the rights to the book and is now in production.

Sound like a good show. Can't wait to see it.

www.japanculture-nyc.com/2012/02/17/robert-whitings-adventures-in-the-tokyo-underworld/

Last edited by Otaku4Life on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:19 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Santa Dog II

Santa Dog II

PostSubject: Re: HBO Yakuza Series Coming Soon   HBO Yakuza Series Coming Soon EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 8:37 am

Sounds awesome but I unfortunately don't get HBO.
Back to top Go down
Jeevesie

Jeevesie

PostSubject: Re: HBO Yakuza Series Coming Soon   HBO Yakuza Series Coming Soon EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 4:58 am

Given the string of HBO series I've loved in the past, I can't wait to see how this turns out! Here's hoping it lives up to the promise of the premise. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HBO Yakuza Series Coming Soon   HBO Yakuza Series Coming Soon Empty

Back to top Go down

HBO Yakuza Series Coming Soon
Page 1 of 1