The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What Big Boxes do you own?

Go down 
+24
Otaku4Life
TheUnknownMovieFan
gunflyer
Jeevesie
Indiana Groans
Brakywaki
thatguyontheright1
enemycoke
unrealbe
Frank Rizzo
cyberdalek
lyger
Azarias Kale
Mondo a Go-Go
Deadpool
Duckman
smallerdemon
anothercafejava
MagnaRyu
New Blood
The Original Greaser Bob
Nilbog302
Cactus_Matt
gregmcduck
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Azarias Kale

Azarias Kale

What Big Boxes do you own? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   What Big Boxes do you own? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 10:37 am

The Dude wrote:
Azarias Kale wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Azarias Kale wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Azarias Kale wrote:
I still own hundreds of VHSes, most of which are blanks that were recorded over... which oddly makes I Spit On Your Grave and Last House On The Left feel a lot more dirty.
Really gives them that nasty, "got this from some sketchy fuck in a seedy shop downtown" feel.
Especially since in between "I Spit" and "Last House" was Faces of Death... I felt like the cops were about to bust in on me and I was 12 so that explains my life.
There are those, myself included, who argue that certain movies benefit from being seen on tape. Your story helps illustrate what we're on about.
I think most films benefit being on tape over DVD. Like Cloverfield, for example. The movie wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be but on video tape it would have had a much deeper impact. I was the last one in my family to get a DVD player solely because I had all my favorite movies on VHS, which is now all on DVD which is now me bitching about needing to get a blu-ray player.
And the journey continues...
Just can't wait 'til it's all goes the way of the Beta Max and becomes strictly a digital medium without hard-copies other than people in pitch black room, selling bootlegs to those of us who like having a tactile experience when it comes to entertainment.

But back to Big Boxes, there's one I think the Snob would love that I uncovered going through my many boxes. Its called Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama. Now THAT movie is worth a DVD release haha
Back to top Go down
lyger

lyger

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   What Big Boxes do you own? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 8:17 am

The only ones I have are these:

Blood Feast (1984 release from Comet Video)
[Only admins are allowed to see this image]

Psycho which is more of a book type box than the normal big box where you have to pull a tray out
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   What Big Boxes do you own? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 8:51 am

lyger wrote:
Psycho which is more of a book type box than the normal big box where you have to pull a tray out
I kind of prefer the book-style to the tray-box. Feels classy.
Back to top Go down
cyberdalek

cyberdalek

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   What Big Boxes do you own? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 12:54 am

I just got back from a thrift store and I got Big Boxes of "The Dirty Dozen", "The Blob", & "Superman: The Movie"
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   What Big Boxes do you own? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 1:50 am

cyberdalek wrote:
I just got back from a thrift store and I got Big Boxes of "The Dirty Dozen", "The Blob", & "Superman: The Movie"

ooooh, nice finds man.
Back to top Go down
cyberdalek

cyberdalek

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   What Big Boxes do you own? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 2:06 am

Thanks, in fact they are the first big boxes I have ever found so im really glad that they are my first ones.
Back to top Go down
gregmcduck

gregmcduck

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   What Big Boxes do you own? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 2:48 am

Just found a new one at a pawn shop: "Tilt" from 1979, starring Brooke Shields as a pinball wizard who travels cross-country to compete in pinball contests. From good ol' Continental Video.
Back to top Go down
cyberdalek

cyberdalek

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   What Big Boxes do you own? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 3:35 am

Nice, I'll have to look that up since I'm a HUGE pinball fanatic.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   What Big Boxes do you own? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 7:55 am

gregmcduck wrote:
Just found a new one at a pawn shop: "Tilt" from 1979, starring Brooke Shields as a pinball wizard who travels cross-country to compete in pinball contests. From good ol' Continental Video.
I wonder if the marketers who came up with The Wizard had ever seen it?
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   What Big Boxes do you own? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 7:57 am

The Dude wrote:
gregmcduck wrote:
I wonder if the marketers who came up with The Wizard had ever seen it?

Brooke would like to have a word with Fred Savage...
Back to top Go down
Nilbog302

Nilbog302

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   What Big Boxes do you own? - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 1:14 am

Last month at Spence's Bazaar in Dover, I purchased EYES OF LAURA MARS from Columbia Pictures Home Entertainment, one of the very first Big Boxes in fact. And two weeks ago, while buying an Intellivision, I also found THE TERMINATOR from Thorn-EMI Video, the first home video release of this movie! Each one was $4 (3 for $10), and I also got McBAIN among others. Here are the photos of all the Big Boxes that I own and have described here on the forum:

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/viralhunter
unrealbe

unrealbe

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   What Big Boxes do you own? - Page 2 EmptyFri May 13, 2011 5:39 am

I've got a few, should really dust some of. I know I have a big box of house
Back to top Go down
enemycoke

enemycoke

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   What Big Boxes do you own? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 2:26 am

I used to have the old cardboard big box of A Clockwork Orange but haven't been able to find it
Back to top Go down
thatguyontheright1

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   What Big Boxes do you own? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 2:38 am

I only have 1 big box vhs, and that is "The Executioners Song" with Tommy Lee Jones. Meh, I collect Big Disk formats more (Laserdisc and CED)
Back to top Go down
Brakywaki

Brakywaki

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   What Big Boxes do you own? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 6:44 am

I'm positive I have quite a few somewhere, but right offhand I have this beauty nearby

Back to top Go down
Indiana Groans

Indiana Groans

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   What Big Boxes do you own? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 4:13 pm

Brakywaki -- 8000 dollars? Holy Shit! But with a box that gorgeous I'm sure it was worth every penny.

My sole Big Box is Short Circuit 2. The case is pretty swish, it has a mixture of orange and cyan with a picture of Johnny Five on the front. Can't find an image of it anywhere. Must be rare. If I remember correctly the tape itself was blue and not black, the tape cover on the top edge being orange.

I used to have The Hitcher in a Big Box too.
Back to top Go down
Brakywaki

Brakywaki

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   What Big Boxes do you own? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 8:15 am

I lucked out and only paid a buck for it at Half Price Books about 5 years ago.

Shit was so cash.

/pun
Back to top Go down
cyberdalek

cyberdalek

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   What Big Boxes do you own? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 2:01 am

Heres one I just got for $1

Back to top Go down
Brakywaki

Brakywaki

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   What Big Boxes do you own? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 7:12 am

I legitimately envy you. That shit still isn't on dvd.
Back to top Go down
cyberdalek

cyberdalek

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   What Big Boxes do you own? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 8:22 am

Brakywaki wrote:

LOL it was the first big box I have ever found at the new thrift store that opened near me and I was so happy to find one. I have never even heard of this movie before but it does sound familiar. Did brad review this or mention it in any of his videos?
Back to top Go down
Brakywaki

Brakywaki

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   What Big Boxes do you own? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 4:33 am

cyberdalek wrote:
Brakywaki wrote:

LOL it was the first big box I have ever found at the new thrift store that opened near me and I was so happy to find one. I have never even heard of this movie before but it does sound familiar. Did brad review this or mention it in any of his videos?

I don't think he ever did, but it's a classic in its own right. It was the first American-made Ninja film, from tbe Cannon Group (who pretty much OWNED action in the 80s) and it's totally amazing (in a ridiculous way) from start to finish.
Back to top Go down
enemycoke

enemycoke

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   What Big Boxes do you own? - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 1:18 am

Back to top Go down
Jeevesie

Jeevesie

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   What Big Boxes do you own? - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 5:04 pm

I now own a Portugese copy of Silent Night, Deadly Night part 2 in a big box! Thank you European cinema. Smile
Back to top Go down
gunflyer

gunflyer

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   What Big Boxes do you own? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 9:02 am

The ONLY Big boxes I still own are some of those old episodes of the classic Transformers series, like SOS Dinobots.
Back to top Go down
TheUnknownMovieFan

TheUnknownMovieFan

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   What Big Boxes do you own? - Page 2 EmptyFri May 04, 2012 6:55 am

I've got Amicus's Asylum (1972) and Return to Oz. Plus, for reasons that are unclear to me, I have the original Vestron release of Dirty Dancing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   What Big Boxes do you own? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What Big Boxes do you own?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next