Share | 

What Big Boxes do you own?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
gregmcduck

PostSubject: What Big Boxes do you own?   Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:08 pm

The title speaks for itself.

As for myself, I have three MGM/UA big boxes in the same style as the Christmas Story big box: the 1986 Gregory Hines/Billy Crystal buddy cop movie "Running Scared," the 1975 Walter Matthau/George Burns buddy... vaudeville act movie "The Sunshine Boys," and 1977's reincarnation thriller "Audrey Rose."

Not exactly the most exciting collection, but I just started. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cactus_Matt

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:11 pm

I'd love to collect VHS' but I don't have the space, resources nor really the means (sure I could buy from the Internet but that's hardly ideal). The only Big Box I have is a clam shell Gumby volume from my childhood. Good times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nilbog302

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:28 pm

On January 8, I acquired a Big Box VHS from a Goodwill store! It is DEATH AT LOVE HOUSE from Prism Entertainment, and I got it for just one dollar (the standard price for VHS tapes there)! The film is a TV movie from 1975 produced by Aaron Spelling and starring Kate Jackson and Robert Wagner. Here's a synopsis of the movie. Who knew that Goodwill stores could hold such treasures at excellent prices? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/viralhunter
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:56 am

I picked up a couple of Big Boxes from some friends at the local flea market:

Bride of the Monster
[Only admins are allowed to see this image]

The Gates of Hell (aka City of the Living Dead)

Oasis of the Zombies
A clamshell, actually, but close enough.

I'm not sure what to call these...they're like less-bulky clamshells.

Halloween

Plague of the Zombies
Back to top Go down
View user profile
New Blood

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:25 am

I own big boxes of Gates of Hell aka City of the Living Dead and I Spit On Your Grave.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagnaRyu

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:45 am

the Big Boxes i have are

Maniac Cop ~ Starring Bruce Campbell (1988)
Cyber Tracker ~ Starring Don "The Dragon" Wilson (1994)
Sanctuary ~ starring Mark Dacascos (1998)
TimeLock ~ starring Jeff Speakman (1999)

All four of which are Big Boxes made by a video store. Meaning they bought the VHS with the cardboard sleeve, cut it up and used it as the label of the Clamshell-esque vhs case.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagnaRyu

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:49 am

Nilbog302 wrote:
On January 8, I acquired a Big Box VHS from a Goodwill store! It is DEATH AT LOVE HOUSE from Prism Entertainment, and I got it for just one dollar (the standard price for VHS tapes there)! The film is a TV movie from 1975 produced by Aaron Spelling and starring Kate Jackson and Robert Wagner. Here's a synopsis of the movie. Who knew that Goodwill stores could hold such treasures at excellent prices? Very Happy

Oh I know Goodwills are a great place to find some VHS treasures. I picked up such classics at Godzilla vs. Ghidrah, Godzilla vs. Gigan, Godzilla vs. Cosmic Monster, Maniac Cop 2, Tales from the Darkside Movie, and one of the crown jewels in my VHS collection....Monster Squad w/ the BlockBuster sticker still on it Very Happy.

Oh and the four VHS tapes in the big plastic cases that i mentioned in this thread were also from Goodwill.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
anothercafejava

PostSubject: Big Boxes 'n shit   Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:41 am

I only have a few
Silent Night, Deadly Night ~ USA Home Video
Poor White Trash II ~ Magnum Entertainment
Exterminator 2 ~ MGM

I guess I'll count my clamshells for the hell of it
Shivers ~ Anchor Bay
and in the mail I have a beta of White Fire (no idea who the distributor is but the cover is a work of art!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:03 am

MagnaRyu wrote:
Nilbog302 wrote:

Oh I know Goodwills are a great place to find some VHS treasures. I picked up such classics at Godzilla vs. Ghidrah, Godzilla vs. Gigan, Godzilla vs. Cosmic Monster, Maniac Cop 2, Tales from the Darkside Movie, and one of the crown jewels in my VHS collection....Monster Squad w/ the BlockBuster sticker still on it Very Happy.

Oh and the four VHS tapes in the big plastic cases that i mentioned in this thread were also from Goodwill.
Thirft stores are where it's at.
I've picked up The Evil Dead, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Way of the Dragon and a few others I can't remember there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smallerdemon

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:15 am

In my heart I own the Big Box version of Night of the Comet. In reality I own the Wal-Mart $5 SLP cardboard cover VHS of Night of the Comet. I made a DVD of that for my 40th birthday a year or so before it was released on DVD. Plus, my DVD menu screens were like 1000 times better.

If Brad could find a big of Night of the Comet and do an episode about it... wow. That would be awesome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagnaRyu

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:44 am

smallerdemon wrote:
In my heart I own the Big Box version of Night of the Comet. In reality I own the Wal-Mart $5 SLP cardboard cover VHS of Night of the Comet. I made a DVD of that for my 40th birthday a year or so before it was released on DVD. Plus, my DVD menu screens were like 1000 times better.

If Brad could find a big of Night of the Comet and do an episode about it... wow. That would be awesome.

Look
[Only admins are allowed to see this link]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duckman

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:15 am

I have very few Big Boxes...

1. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - the animated version of the story, released in 1985. The first film version of the story I saw.

2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - the first of the movies, of course.

3. Maximum Overdrive - this is one that Brad should do a Snob video for.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://kingrow.webs.com
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:18 am

MagnaRyu wrote:
smallerdemon wrote:

Look
God bless ebay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagnaRyu

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:28 am

The Dude wrote:
MagnaRyu wrote:
smallerdemon wrote:

Look
God bless ebay.

Hallelujah! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deadpool

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:20 pm

I only have a couple actual boxes with me in new york city, most of them are back in virginia. When i move to chicago in a month, who knows what will be with me?

For now tho, i've got the korean connection, ninja wars, and a few betamax tapes in big boxes. I don't have a beta player tho.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nilbog302

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:14 pm

And I also have THE HOUSE OF THE DEVIL VHS that I acquired from the Diabolik DVD table at Monster-Mania Con 16 back in September. I got it for 2/3 the price it runs on Amazon.com; since I already bought the DVD earlier (last year to be exact), I gave the DVD in the bundle to my friend who went with me and kept the VHS. In my opinion, one must watch THE HOUSE OF THE DEVIL on VHS in order to fully appreciate Ti West's homage to the late '70s-early '80s horror/exploitation movies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/viralhunter
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:44 am

Nilbog302 wrote:
In my opinion, one must watch THE HOUSE OF THE DEVIL on VHS in order to fully appreciate Ti West's homage to the late '70s-early '80s horror/exploitation movies.
It's a fair argument.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagnaRyu

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:45 am

I forgot to mention one other VHS i own, unfortunately it isn't a big box its just a cardboard sleeve, but i own the original Heavy Metal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mondo a Go-Go

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:32 am

I got my first two big boxes today: Thriller Video's releases of Tales from the Darkside, volumes 3 & 4. The packaging's pretty beat up, but they're still great; it looks like an old comic book, complete with "Approved by the Video Code Authority" stamp.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azarias Kale

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:57 am

I still own hundreds of VHSes, most of which are blanks that were recorded over... which oddly makes I Spit On Your Grave and Last House On The Left feel a lot more dirty. But as for Big Boxes, Flesh & Blood is probably my top prized one since I will admit to having a man-crush on Rutger Hauer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:58 am

Azarias Kale wrote:
I still own hundreds of VHSes, most of which are blanks that were recorded over... which oddly makes I Spit On Your Grave and Last House On The Left feel a lot more dirty.
Really gives them that nasty, "got this from some sketchy fuck in a seedy shop downtown" feel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azarias Kale

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:11 am

The Dude wrote:
Azarias Kale wrote:
I still own hundreds of VHSes, most of which are blanks that were recorded over... which oddly makes I Spit On Your Grave and Last House On The Left feel a lot more dirty.
Really gives them that nasty, "got this from some sketchy fuck in a seedy shop downtown" feel.
Especially since in between "I Spit" and "Last House" was Faces of Death... I felt like the cops were about to bust in on me and I was 12 so that explains my life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:13 am

Azarias Kale wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Azarias Kale wrote:
Especially since in between "I Spit" and "Last House" was Faces of Death... I felt like the cops were about to bust in on me and I was 12 so that explains my life.
There are those, myself included, who argue that certain movies benefit from being seen on tape. Your story helps illustrate what we're on about.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Azarias Kale

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:22 am

The Dude wrote:
Azarias Kale wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Azarias Kale wrote:
There are those, myself included, who argue that certain movies benefit from being seen on tape. Your story helps illustrate what we're on about.
I think most films benefit being on tape over DVD. Like Cloverfield, for example. The movie wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be but on video tape it would have had a much deeper impact. I was the last one in my family to get a DVD player solely because I had all my favorite movies on VHS, which is now all on DVD which is now me bitching about needing to get a blu-ray player.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:28 am

Azarias Kale wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Azarias Kale wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Azarias Kale wrote:
I think most films benefit being on tape over DVD. Like Cloverfield, for example. The movie wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be but on video tape it would have had a much deeper impact. I was the last one in my family to get a DVD player solely because I had all my favorite movies on VHS, which is now all on DVD which is now me bitching about needing to get a blu-ray player.
And the journey continues...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Big Boxes do you own?   

Back to top Go down

What Big Boxes do you own?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next