The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Comic Book Thread

Go down 
+12
Tabascofanatikerin
Hybrid Pig-Boy
OriginalHorndog
Tom Badguy
Feldon
Son Of Jack Deth
Benjamin-J
Frank Rizzo
Azarias Kale
Entertainer13
Kaneda
Eckertmania
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 10:56 pm

Bumping up just to say that Batman: The Long Halloween is a *sweet* graphic novel, and it kicks about 230 different kinds of ass.
Back to top Go down
Son Of Jack Deth

Son Of Jack Deth

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 12:03 am

Frank Rizzo wrote:
Bumping up just to say that Batman: The Long Halloween is a *sweet* graphic novel, and it kicks about 230 different kinds of ass.

LOL. We just discussed this on our podcast. I love this comic so much. I truly consider it one of the best comics ever written.

If you want some subversive fun, I recommend "Secret Six" by Gail Simone. Great stuff.
Back to top Go down
Feldon

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 9:32 am

Are you guys certain this is a comic thread and not a Grant Morrison appreciation thread? In any case, Grant Morrison is my favourite mainstream comics writer and really one of the few that I follow. Bigger fan of his non-superhero stuff though: Invisibles is by far my favourite work of his; WE3, Vinmanarama, The Mystery Play and Kill Your Boyfriend, are all excellent. Flex Mentallo is getting collected up this year after lengthy legal trouble with the Charles Atlas estate.

I've seen the documentary, I really liked it, though the people I watched it with thought it was pretentious. I liked seeing a glimpse into the life of one of my literary heroes. Also, since it hasn't been mentioned here, Grant Morrison appears in multiple Chemical Romance videos.

So yeah, there are my two cents. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Eckertmania

Eckertmania

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 8:13 pm

Feldon wrote:
Are you guys certain this is a comic thread and not a Grant Morrison appreciation thread?

Can't it be both?
Back to top Go down
http://asliceomind.wordpress.com/
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 8:26 am

Eckertmania wrote:
Feldon wrote:
Are you guys certain this is a comic thread and not a Grant Morrison appreciation thread?

Can't it be both?

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
Azarias Kale

Azarias Kale

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 EmptyWed May 11, 2011 2:31 pm

I would say that the Invisibles is amazing but honestly Long Halloween wasn't as good as say Green Lantern Legacy or the Death of Captain Marvel.

Back to top Go down
Eckertmania

Eckertmania

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 EmptyWed May 11, 2011 9:15 pm

Yeah, Long Halloween hasn't aged very well. It's still an alright story, but it just doesn't read as well as it did the first time. I don't know, maybe Loeb's more modern stuff has soured me on his writing overall.
Back to top Go down
http://asliceomind.wordpress.com/
Azarias Kale

Azarias Kale

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu May 12, 2011 2:46 pm

Loeb has done a few things that were exceptional like I love Batman: Hush and I believe he did Fallen Son: the Death of Captain America, I thought they were good, though will say his TV/Film credits aren't good.
Back to top Go down
Tom Badguy

Tom Badguy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 12:48 am

Azarias Kale wrote:
Loeb has done a few things that were exceptional like I love Batman: Hush and I believe he did Fallen Son: the Death of Captain America, I thought they were good, though will say his TV/Film credits aren't good.

I like Hush and his work with the X-Men Age of Apocalypse series and the Onslaught Epic. My favorite of his would be the work he does with Tim Sale like in the Long Halloween and Dark Victory.

I also really like Mark Millar. Old Man Logan may be my favorite comic so far.

I am also a fan of Grant Morrison and Frank Miller. You got to love Frank Miller's "God Damn" Batman.
Back to top Go down
http://www.geekjuicemedia.com
OriginalHorndog

OriginalHorndog

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 3:38 am

Tom Badguy wrote:
You got to love Frank Miller's "God Damn" Batman.

The best one he did was Year One. I thought Dark Knight was kind of meh. Before they did Batman Begins, Darren Aronofsky was supposed to adapt Year One with Frank Miller.
Back to top Go down
http://horndogs1.blogspot.com
Hybrid Pig-Boy

Hybrid Pig-Boy

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 2:12 pm

I'm not that much of a "comics" kind of guy, in terms of traditional superheroes, though I do own and love Watchmen. I grew up more with newspaper comics, so I do love me some Calvin and Hobbes; Bill Watterson is a friggin' genius, and I miss the man's work. Also a big fan of The Far Side.

My favorite "graphic novel" (We're allowed to say that here, right? Is that too snobby of me to say? XD) of all time is the complete set of Maus by Art Spiegelman. I first read it when I was in middle school, and it was mind-blowing. I re-read it frequently and I see something new in it every time, especially since I got his MetaMaus companion. Such a deep, dark (and true!) story presented in perhaps the most offset way imaginable. It's what many - including me - feel put comics on the map as serious art.
Back to top Go down
Tabascofanatikerin

Tabascofanatikerin

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 07, 2014 12:12 pm

I love reading comic books. As a child I read way more comics than actual books (which wasn't that good for my education btw...).

However, I didn't grew up on the classic American comic book series like Superman, Batman, X-Men and others. I was more into Franco-Belgian comics like Asterix, Lucky Luke, Marsupilami and Spirou & Fantasio. But, of course, I got to know other great comics like Art Spiegelman's MAUS, Disney comics, Calvin & Hobbes...

So I'm just gonna put my list of comics and comic book series here that I love, mangas also included:

MAUS
Calvin & Hobbes
Asterix (but only up to #24, the comics after that suck more and more)
Lucky Luke
Comics by Max Goldt & Stephan Katz
Persepolis
Garfield
Die Pinguine ("The Penguins", a comic strip series by a good friend of mine)
The Duck comics by Carl Barks
Battle Angel Alita (probably my favourite manga series, also its sequel-like "Last Order" )
Basilisk
Azumanga Daioh
Sailor Moon
SHE - The Ultimate Weapon (also known as "Saikano" )

Also I enjoy other comics like almost everything I get to read in the MAD magazines (especially the movie spoof comics, they're awesome most of the time).
Back to top Go down
http://tabascofanatikerin.deviantart.com
80'sDavid

80'sDavid

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 07, 2014 6:38 pm

Tabascofanatikerin wrote:
I love reading comic books. As a child I read way more comics than actual books (which wasn't that good for my education btw...).

However, I didn't grew up on the classic American comic book series like Superman, Batman, X-Men and others. I was more into Franco-Belgian comics like Asterix, Lucky Luke, Marsupilami and Spirou & Fantasio. But, of course, I got to know other great comics like Art Spiegelman's MAUS, Disney comics, Calvin & Hobbes...

So I'm just gonna put my list of comics and comic book series here that I love, mangas also included:

MAUS
Calvin & Hobbes
Asterix (but only up to #24, the comics after that suck more and more)
Lucky Luke
Comics by Max Goldt & Stephan Katz
Persepolis
Garfield
Die Pinguine ("The Penguins", a comic strip series by a good friend of mine)
The Duck comics by Carl Barks
Battle Angel Alita (probably my favourite manga series, also its sequel-like "Last Order" )
Basilisk
Azumanga Daioh
Sailor Moon
SHE - The Ultimate Weapon (also known as "Saikano" )

Also I enjoy other comics like almost everything I get to read in the MAD magazines (especially the movie spoof comics, they're awesome most of the time).

Some really cool and interesting picks here, especially MAUS, Persepolis and Battle Angel Alita.

I'm in a similar boat in that I never really got into Superhero comics (Watchmen being a notable exception). I originally started reading the Star Wars stuff that Dark Horse was putting out in the 90's because I was a huge Star Wars geek as a kid and that led me onto some of the more obscure/alternative Dark Horse books; Tony Millionaire's Sock Monkey being the comic that stands out the most. Then from there I got into more alternative stuff; the aforementioned MAUS and Persepolis and stuff by Daniel Clowes, Charles Burns, Yoshihiro Tatsumi, Chester Brown, Joe Matt etc.
Back to top Go down
http://thepeoplewholooklikebrianlewis.blogspot.co.uk
metateen

metateen

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 7:08 pm

Was curious if anyone out there has heard of the comic book series Sex Criminals by Image.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 09, 2015 7:57 am

no i haven't but than there's a lot of there stuff i've never read. though i haven't bought a NEW issue of Spawn let alone seen a new issue of it in stores in years. it's still a favorite of mine. and how long it's been since i last read it? at least kept up with it i mean, Todd McFarlane or however ya spell his name? he was still working on the comic when i was still buying it. i don't think he is anymore unless i'm wrong? i've been reading digital comics lately, i stilil buy of them of course and i'll never stop doing that, but when you have old issues that i will prolly never buy cause i can't afford them. than i can at least say i've read them ya know? the last one i was reading was batman #14 from Dec. (1942)
Back to top Go down
Inquisitor

Inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 7:31 pm

wildhoney66 wrote:
no i haven't but than there's a lot of there stuff i've never read. though i haven't bought a NEW issue of Spawn let alone seen a new issue of it in stores in years. it's still a favorite of mine. and how long it's been since i last read it? at least kept up with it i mean, Todd McFarlane or however ya spell his name? he was still working on the comic when i was still buying it. i don't think he is anymore unless i'm wrong? i've been reading digital comics lately, i stilil buy of them of course and i'll never stop doing that, but when you have old issues that i will prolly never buy cause i can't afford them. than i can at least say i've read them ya know? the last one i was reading was batman #14 from Dec. (1942)

You were right about McFarlane handing off Spawn, kind of. In 2008 he returned to co-writing the comic at Issue #185. Right now he's inking for Haunt but not doing any pencil work.

Personally there are only 3 comics I have in a pull list at my comic shop. The Amanda Connor/Jimmy Palmotti teamed Harley Quinn (Should be obvious given my avatar) and Starfire, and the Adam Warren crafted Empowered.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 29, 2015 11:18 am

for my b-day this year my aunt got me the current issue of doctor who. i loved it, and the current issue of Superman. that was the 1st issue i've read of the current Superman and it was ok but nothing special. i have more batman than superman. i haven't gotten around to reading all of those that i did buy but those are ok. and notice i'm not saying i loved them. am i right in reading somewhere that they killed bruce wayne in the current series and i think Gordon is batman now? or am i wrong in this?
Back to top Go down
Inquisitor

Inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 6:51 pm

wildhoney66 wrote:
for my b-day this year my aunt got me the current issue of doctor who. i loved it, and the current issue of Superman. that was the 1st issue i've read of the current Superman and it was ok but nothing special. i have more batman than superman. i haven't gotten around to reading all of those that i did buy but those are ok. and notice i'm not saying i loved them. am i right in reading somewhere that they killed bruce wayne in the current series and i think Gordon is batman now? or am i wrong in this?

Don't know anything about Gordon being batman, I know that for a while in the early 2000's Dick Grayson assumed the roll during the Knightfall story. Only reason I know that is because there was a tie-in with Gotham City Sirens.

Speaking of supes, I really kinda wanna check out out the new 7 issue mini-series "American Alien" written by Max Landis. I like Max's writing so I think it might be a good story.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 11, 2015 9:37 am

your wrong on the years my friend Knightfall which is my favorite storyline by the way started in (1993) and finished in (1994) when you cont knights Quest & Knightsend as well and it was after that ended that Bruce handed the mantle over to Dick. so that would be in i think (1994) i don't own that issue i don't think. i'd have to look. i do have an answer about one thing though i asked, in Dec. (1942) in that issue when Bruce said he had a boner. someone told me it meant he has an idea something that he could have said just fucking said instead of i've got a boner, uh ok bruce

it made me wonder if Dick made him have that? lol
Back to top Go down
metateen

metateen

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 10, 2016 7:51 am

so I've been reading marvel secret wars 2 got through parts 1-7 (Haven't started Cool So far it's been pretty fine overall. not sure how to feel about a God wanting to live life as a normal man is pretty much how expect it to be. Though he did conquer the world at one point (Minus 2 people because Molecule man is equal to his abilities and his girlfriend Titania because he free'd her from his will) It's been pretty fair...

though, the covers are pretty interesting, though Secret Wars 2 isn't on ar with Secret Wars 1 so far...Though this one has superior covers to be honest.

The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 250px-SecretwarsII3
Back to top Go down
Inquisitor

Inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2016 2:16 am

wildhoney66 wrote:
your wrong on the years my friend Knightfall which is my favorite storyline by the way started in (1993) and finished in (1994) when you cont knights Quest & Knightsend as well and it was after that ended that Bruce handed the mantle over to Dick. so that would be in i think (1994) i don't own that issue i don't think.  i'd have to look. i do have an answer about one thing though i asked, in Dec. (1942) in that issue when Bruce said he had a boner. someone told me it meant he has an idea something that he could have said just  fucking said instead of i've got a boner, uh ok bruce

it made me wonder if Dick made him have that? lol

You're absolutely right. I was wrong on Knightfall, it was the Hush story that tied with Gotham City Sirens. that was '02-'03. Also around the same time as Blackest Night.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 11:55 am

there's a certain timeline of batman i know a very small window of it mind you but Knightfall is about all i know the most about to be honest. and of course stuff that went on before that like right after Jason Todd was killed to Tim Drake becoming Robin that was oh it had to be between (1988-1990) i downloaded some Spawn recently. i have a good number of issues not digital but it's been awhile since i last read them.

and i don't see current issues of anything in stores anymore outside of a comic book shop to be honest. and i rarely make it to there as well.

the reason i downloaded Spawn was cause there's just so much of the series i don't own. i looked it up it's currently on issue i think #260. the most current issue i have is i think #178 i think? and that's from (2008) i do own issue #1 though and it's not that great or that well written of an issue to be honest. for me on how i became a fan of Spawn. in (1995) i was working at a theatre and one guy i was working with who i wish i was still in contact with to be honest. he lent me issue #16 and the artwork and the writing is what got my attention. nowadays they from what i'm told use a computer to clean the artwork up and so forth but back than as you prolly know it wasn't that way and the artwork for me is still eye catching even though the artwork for comics is a hell of a lot better than it was back than.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2016 8:42 am

i've been reading digital of course old issues of Superman and Batman lately. i'm in Superman up to (1941) and i'm about halfway done with (1941) and in Batman i've just entered (1945) upon starting reading these last year i didn't like the way they were written, but i was thinking along the line of i'm used to reading stuff from the 70's to today. and the writing and artwork is so different back than, than it is now. and that's not a bad thing either once i got used to how these issues were written i've been having a blast reading these. Seeing in one issue i read from (1941) i think it was in? Superman Throw a Thug into a Bullet to protect someone i loved that. well actually it was the big bad for that particular story. it took me awhile a long time to get used to having Lois and Clark well NOT be together for one, and also for her NOT to know his Secret Identity.

which brings another thing i have to say. Clark to Change into Superman long before any Videos like today and none of this existed back than, would go into empty Ally's and on top of the Daily Planet's building to change into superman. my question is this of the various places he ends up changing into Superman how in the FUCK has anyone NOT seen him do so? and than you have him change from Clark Kent in his apartment into Superman and than leave outside his window. how can NO one notice this? even if Superman is THAT fast there's no doubt times he's not in a rush.

just flaws i am pointing out that's all. the same goes for these old Batman issues where him and Dick Grayson the same thing leaving out when they are in Wayne Manor. how can NO one notice them changing? they don't move quite as fast as Superman for one thing. i know i prolly sound like Josh Hadley but had he said this i would have agreed with him i'm sure. great stories though to read though, anyways, did anyone know that they went back this year to the normal numbering? and got rid of the NEW 52 ?
Back to top Go down
Inquisitor

Inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 09, 2016 2:41 am

@wildhoney66

The numbering thing is part of DC's new initiative called "Rebirth" where they explore further implications post Flashpoint.  Also if you're into looking into old comics there's a website www.getcomics.info that has TONS of publications in CBR format for free (you just have to click through several redirect pages with ads ((blocked with adblock)) )

Speaking of old format books, I've been on a tear recently going to comic shops, conventions, and half price books looking for the Volume 3 Green Arrow (Mike Grell written) series. I've been able to scrounge up a lot of it, as well as all 3 trades of Long Bow Hunters. Highly recommend. It was at a time in DC's history before Vertigo was a thing and Green Arrow had (Suggested for Mature Readers) under the DC logo.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 11, 2016 12:31 pm

actually that's where i got my batman and superman comics in fact. i found that site last year THANK GOD and i have been loving like i said reading these old issues. i'm currently on Action Comics #47 April (1942) and Superman #16 which would be May (1942) i haven't started that one yet.

as for Batman i'm a bit further on that one. i'm on Detective Comics #112 June (1946) and Batman #36 August (1946) so i am further than i last posted on here. i haven't started Batman #36 just yet i took a small break from reading because i'm currently stuck with a fucking cold and the damn thing is of course giving me a headache so i can't read much. as i said once you get used to the writing you really start to enjoy these old comics.
before WW2 Batman was dark as fuck my friend. they started to stop having it be as dark once it started i'm afraid. and it's now after WW2 and it's not as dark as it once was but they still do plenty of good murder stories. hell the current issue i'm on is one called "The Case without A Crime'

i haven't read that one yet just like a page or 2 but some of the stories do sound simliar but than they also i noticed are honestly trying different things as well. and some of it works and some of it doesn't. a good one that worked was having the Penguin go around without his umbrella and he tries a gun and different things and gets caught but it was a good story. than there was one he had an Apprentice and that was a good one but the kid and yes it was a kid by the looks of it he was either in his teens or 20's. not sure which and all he wanted to do was be a writer and that was a nice change. a really good one was when Penguin and Joker in the only time during this time Team up and that was funny as hell and a lot of fun to read. some of the stories are easily comedies and are for laughs while others are drama. and some are just plain action well you get the point they tried different things and well they had to because comics back than up until the current issue of Batman i'm on now which is the last one that they as far as i know do this is have 4 stories in each Batman issue. after #36 it goes to 3 stories and is a faster read so you will have plenty of good ones and duds if they have to write so many of ya know?

oddly Superman has after WW2 had some dark stories and gone in the other direction i may be wrong cause i don't remember them all but i like it that Superman has Killed it's more Realistic i think. where i am it's still Jerry Siegel doing all the writing and he's a pretty good writer and getting better the more issues i read but he's done some really bad stories as well like any writer. like a really bad one was one where Superman helps out a fucking Zoo because they have little animals and no one comes there barely anymore because of that and because of the war. that one was simply awful.

so either way it's a hit and miss. none of these comics are like they are today with a story arc but have their own story so it took some getting used to that too. and the slang like i said too. as for DC now is it a good thing? was i right they went back to the old numbering? i'm kind of confused on what they are doing currently since no store around here sells comics unless i get lucky enough to go a comic store or get back issues
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Comic Book Thread   The Comic Book Thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Comic Book Thread
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next