The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Really Good Movies That Flopped

Go down 
+6
Razzly
Frank Rizzo
Toyland Chairman
wildhoney66
Angie Matera
Otaku4Life
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
jasn0_X

jasn0_X

Really Good Movies That Flopped - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really Good Movies That Flopped   Really Good Movies That Flopped - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 2:10 pm

"John Carter" - I was deployed overseas when it was rolling into theaters so I missed a lot of the advertising for it.  And supposedly that is what killed the movie.  Personally I was interested after seeing the trailer.  However it seemed to me that the Disney name being slapped across it and the trailers that mostly showed Phantom Menace-esque aliens had to have hurts its chances.

I heard from other people that gave it a chance that it was good and got around to renting it on Amazon.  I thought it was really fun and odd adventure movie.  Its a shame that it kind of flopped.  What I also found interesting is some critics were jumping on the "its a flop!" bandwagon almost right out of the gate even though it was on pace to make an OK amount of money.  That negativity definitely hurt too...

And is it just me or are the negative critics' tendencies to gang up on a movie and bad marketing the main reasons that these good movies flop..?
Back to top Go down
ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: Really Good Movies That Flopped   Really Good Movies That Flopped - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 11:08 pm

Yeah, JOHN CARTER's marketing was terrible.  I didn't care much for the movie itself, but I admire its ambition.  I'd rather watch a John Carter sequel than another lazy-ass Bayformers movie, that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
http://anxietycloset.storenvy.com
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Really Good Movies That Flopped   Really Good Movies That Flopped - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 11:19 pm

Is it not true that a good chunk of the people who were in charge of advertising for John Carter were fired after it bombed so badly?
Back to top Go down
ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: Really Good Movies That Flopped   Really Good Movies That Flopped - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 11:50 pm

They did boot one of the studio heads, Rick Ross; although they might have been planning to do that anyway.  Disney's one of the last companies on earth I'd want to work for.
Back to top Go down
http://anxietycloset.storenvy.com
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Really Good Movies That Flopped   Really Good Movies That Flopped - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 7:26 am

i haven't seen John Carter. but if memory serves me right Brad said the same thing about how it was marketed. my folks went and saw it and liked it as well. they also said the same thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Really Good Movies That Flopped   Really Good Movies That Flopped - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Really Good Movies That Flopped
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2