The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Dub and heavy bass music

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Subterfuge

Subterfuge

Dub and heavy bass music Empty
PostSubject: Dub and heavy bass music   Dub and heavy bass music EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 12:59 am

Hey guys.

I was wondering if any of you are into dub and it's infinite variations? For those who don't know, dub ( not dubstep ) is a form of reggae that evolved from Jamaica in the 1960/70's that's slightly more psychedelic and dance oriented. It's the origin of the remix if you will. Sound engineers back then used to play around with reggae hits by taking out the vocals and boosting bass frequencies while adding different sound effects to the mix like delays and reverbs; the result being one hell of a spaced out, bass driven, monster rythm machine.

Nowadays dub, or the art of remixing music, has infiltrated every genre and subgenre and we now have multiple variations like Dub Techno, Dub Step ( which is an hybrid of reggae dub and 2 step, a british subgenre of electronic dance music ) and many more. I am a dub explorer myself and I thrive on discovering where the legacy of the jamaican sound pioneers of the 60's and 70's is going year after year although I do go back from time to time to the classics of old: Lee Scratch Perry, King Tubby and Scientist to name a few.

So, anyone else like to surf the subsonic soundwaves of etheric magnificience that is dub?
Back to top Go down
Angie Matera

Angie Matera

PostSubject: Re: Dub and heavy bass music   Dub and heavy bass music EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 1:27 am

Subterfuge wrote:
Hey guys.

I was wondering if any of you are into dub and it's infinite variations? For those who don't know, dub ( not dubstep ) is a form of reggae that evolved from Jamaica in the 1960/70's that's slightly more psychedelic and dance oriented. It's the origin of the remix if you will. Sound engineers back then used to play around with reggae hits by taking out the vocals and boosting bass frequencies while adding different sound effects to the mix like delays and reverbs; the result being one hell of a spaced out, bass driven, monster rythm machine.

Nowadays dub, or the art of remixing music, has infiltrated every genre and subgenre and we now have multiple variations like Dub Techno, Dub Step ( which is an hybrid of reggae dub and 2 step, a british subgenre of electronic dance music ) and many more. I am a dub explorer myself and I thrive on discovering where the legacy of the jamaican sound pioneers of the 60's and 70's is going year after year although I do go back from time to time to the classics of old: Lee Scratch Perry, King Tubby and Scientist to name a few.

So, anyone else like to surf the subsonic soundwaves of etheric magnificience that is dub?

Out of those people i only know scratch Perry. For Jamican music i only really know some old school reggea(even though i dont smoke weed lol). Ive heard Bob Marley and the wailers be labled as Dub b4. Id be intrsted in looking into more dub(im really open minded when it comes to music). Any suggestions besides the ones you've listed?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/angelina.matera
Subterfuge

Subterfuge

PostSubject: Re: Dub and heavy bass music   Dub and heavy bass music EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 1:59 am

I don't smoke grass ( anymore ) either but dub can be enjoyed without it, thankfully, even though cannabis really does enhance the experience ( the dubwise experience and others as well hehe ).

But yes, basically, anyone equipped with a nice subwoofer or some good headphones can appreciate the mind-bending qualities of dub music, old and new, because dub has been around since the 1960s and it has shaped the way dance music is produced and composed. Without the influence of jamaican producers, modern music, popular and underground, would not be what it is today. In other words, there'd be a lot less mojo if it were the case Cool

And in short, dub has leaked and infiltrated all the styles and niches over time, whether it be pop music, ambient, techno, world, rap, you name it, dub has a hand in it. So yes, I'm full of suggestions. Right now I'm really into what is call Deep Techno or Dub Techno which sounds like a soundtrack from the post-apocalyptic future to me but there's a lot more out there, from more reggae sounding dub all the way to stuff that's as far away from the jamaican roots as it's possible to make. But here are some names to check out for sure:

Rhythm & Sound
joergmuller
Biodub
Deadbeat
O.T.T
P.Laoss
Quantec
Sly and Robbie
Dry and Heavy ( Japanese dub reggae! )
King Midas Sound
Intrusion
Fluxion
Jah Shaka
Scientist
King Tubby

And here are some 'choons to go along with that dubwise post! Enjoy!

Back to top Go down
Angie Matera

Angie Matera

PostSubject: Re: Dub and heavy bass music   Dub and heavy bass music EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 2:17 am

Subterfuge wrote:

I don't smoke grass ( anymore ) either but dub can be enjoyed without it, thankfully, even though cannabis really does enhance the experience ( the dubwise experience and others as well hehe ).

But yes, basically, anyone equipped with a nice subwoofer or some good headphones can appreciate the mind-bending qualities of dub music, old and new, because dub has been around since the 1960s and it has shaped the way dance music is produced and composed. Without the influence of jamaican producers, modern music, popular and underground, would not be what it is today. In other words, there'd be a lot less mojo if it were the case Cool

And in short, dub has leaked and infiltrated all the styles and niches over time, whether it be pop music, ambient, techno, world, rap, you name it, dub has a hand in it. So yes, I'm full of suggestions. Right now I'm really into what is call Deep Techno or Dub Techno which sounds like a soundtrack from the post-apocalyptic future to me but there's a lot more out there, from more reggae sounding dub all the way to stuff that's as far away from the jamaican roots as it's possible to make. But here are some names to check out for sure:

Rhythm & Sound
joergmuller
Biodub
Deadbeat
O.T.T
P.Laoss
Quantec
Sly and Robbie
Dry and Heavy ( Japanese dub reggae! )
King Midas Sound
Intrusion
Fluxion
Jah Shaka
Scientist
King Tubby

And here are some 'choons to go along with that dubwise post! Enjoy!

those songs aint too bad. ill defintaly check these artists u listed out
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/angelina.matera
Subterfuge

Subterfuge

PostSubject: Re: Dub and heavy bass music   Dub and heavy bass music EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 2:23 am

Indded they are! Let me add something a little more upbeat! Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dub and heavy bass music   Dub and heavy bass music Empty

Back to top Go down

Dub and heavy bass music
Page 1 of 1