The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Favorite genre of literature

Go down 
+9
Frank Rizzo
UnknownKadath
PCDOS
Kaneda
Lady stardust
JennyWoreBlack
jaedimaster
ermac
Cactus_Matt
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Cactus_Matt

Cactus_Matt

Favorite genre of literature Empty
PostSubject: Favorite genre of literature   Favorite genre of literature EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 11:29 am

My favourite genre is fantasy, although I admit some of it can be repetitive. The Name of the Wind is my favourite novel of all time, not only because of how involving and well written it is but because how well it uses the fantasy genre and changes it just enough. My favourite genre to write, however, is mystery.
Back to top Go down
ermac

PostSubject: Re: Favorite genre of literature   Favorite genre of literature EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 11:38 am

Fantasy is also the choice for me Smile By coincidence I am currently reading The Name of the Wind, and am so far very pleased. Also I am eagerly awaiting the Game of Thrones series, that should air in april. I'm not that enthusiastic about the books, because Martin will up and kick it and Brandon Sandersen will have to finish those too...
Back to top Go down
jaedimaster

PostSubject: Re: Favorite genre of literature   Favorite genre of literature EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 12:01 pm

I personally love to read either Sci-Fi or Fantasy. I am currently re-reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, well that and IT. I honestly really love any type of book genre. I am the kind of person that just wants to read anything and everything.

Although writing I'm trying my hand at fantasy....We'll see how that goes.
Back to top Go down
JennyWoreBlack

JennyWoreBlack

PostSubject: Re: Favorite genre of literature   Favorite genre of literature EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 12:18 pm

I like fantasy genre as well but my love is horror and has been for a very long time.
Back to top Go down
http://bobenny.us
Lady stardust

Lady stardust

PostSubject: Re: Favorite genre of literature   Favorite genre of literature EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 6:32 pm

I tend to read horror nowadays(Lovecraft).
Back to top Go down
Kaneda

Kaneda

PostSubject: Re: Favorite genre of literature   Favorite genre of literature EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 9:59 pm

Do comic books count?
Back to top Go down
Cactus_Matt

Cactus_Matt

PostSubject: Re: Favorite genre of literature   Favorite genre of literature EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 3:22 am

Kaneda wrote:
Do comic books count?

Well it counts as reading, and I suppose by definition it could be considered literature but you're welcome to make a comic thread if you want. Smile
Back to top Go down
PCDOS

PCDOS

PostSubject: Re: Favorite genre of literature   Favorite genre of literature EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 9:02 am

i mostly read science fiction, fantasy and horror
Back to top Go down
UnknownKadath

UnknownKadath

Location : I live in my namesake, of course!.. Okay, in real life - Japan.

PostSubject: Re: Favorite genre of literature   Favorite genre of literature EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 7:16 am

Horror - Then again I'm a horror nut in every art form. I have a soft spot for Stephen King, as well as H.P. Lovecraft - who I've been reading since a little kid. lol. My parents were obsessed with him (Hence naming me "Kadath") and introduced me to him when I was pretty young. I still remember some of the looks I got from teachers when they saw me reading Lovecraft in primary school.

I also have an obsession with folkloric horror, I enjoy folklore in general - but I especially love the spooky ones. That obsession started when I reading those "Scary Stories to tell in the Dark" books as a child, as well as all the local legends and folklore I soaked up in the moors of England where I was born. I kind of wish I could've been there for a larger portion of my life. I feel at home in a place rich with dark mythology, probably one of the reasons I am attracted to rural places. Hearing stories about haunted towns, devils that roam the plains, people raised by beasts or spirits that warn of disaster and death - I find it all fascinating, and I have read hundreds of books on the matter and put my knowledge of Japanese, Latin and German to read books about it that aren't available in English.

That's my favourite genre; but I also like Sci-fi (Namely Phillip K. Dick).
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Favorite genre of literature   Favorite genre of literature EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 7:19 am

Horror, Sci-Fi, and Humor.
Back to top Go down
Son Of Jack Deth

Son Of Jack Deth

PostSubject: Re: Favorite genre of literature   Favorite genre of literature EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 9:28 am

Well, I don't read as much fiction as I used to, but back when I did my favorites were detective stories and science fiction. I read a lot of Philip K Dick. I also would also fall in love with one or two books from a particular author such as the books "Tai Pan" and "Nobel House" from James Clavell or "If Tomorrow Comes" by Sydney Sheldon. I don't like their other books.

Back to top Go down
Duckman

Duckman

PostSubject: Re: Favorite genre of literature   Favorite genre of literature EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 5:35 pm

I'm rather fond of those "Choose Your Own Adventure" books. Different outcome each time. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://kingrow.webs.com
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Favorite genre of literature   Favorite genre of literature EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 8:25 pm

Duckman wrote:
I'm rather fond of those "Choose Your Own Adventure" books. Different outcome each time. Wink

After awhile though, I would memorize all of the paths and be able to finish the story in about 2 minutes.
Back to top Go down
Kayna

Kayna

PostSubject: Re: Favorite genre of literature   Favorite genre of literature EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 9:14 am

Fantasy and SciFi with a heavy dose of the classics. Nobody ever gets Frankenstein's monster right.

I also read a lot of Medieval Icelandic literature and Arthurian stuff both new and old.
Back to top Go down
80'sDavid

80'sDavid

PostSubject: Re: Favorite genre of literature   Favorite genre of literature EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 7:04 am

I'm not a fan of fantasy and I'm very picky when it comes to Science fiction; I like Philip K Dick and Frank Herbert, and just finished reading The Forever War by Joe Haldeman which I really enjoyed. Also Kurt Vonnegut is one of my favourite authors (though I tend to prefer his books that don't contain elements of Sci-Fi). Horror literature is something I've never really delved too deep into other than Stephen King and Lovecraft, both of whom i adore. I guess the stuff I read most of isn't really genre material as such. Here's some of my other favourite writers though:

F. Scott Fitzgerald
Richard Brautigan
William Faulkner
Brett Easton Ellis
J.D Salinger
Flannery O'connor

Mainly just regular old 20th century fiction I guess.
Back to top Go down
http://thepeoplewholooklikebrianlewis.blogspot.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite genre of literature   Favorite genre of literature Empty

Back to top Go down

Favorite genre of literature
Page 1 of 1