The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Guilty pleasures of music

Go down 
+13
CowboyCrocket
AstaKask
Alyxx
Otaku4Life
ChaosTheory
Sickler
Angie Matera
Subrick
thatguyontheright1
The Original Greaser Bob
Frank Rizzo
Mondo a Go-Go
UnknownKadath
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Angie Matera

Angie Matera

Guilty pleasures of music - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guilty pleasures of music   Guilty pleasures of music - Page 2 EmptySat May 18, 2013 8:49 am

Celebrity Sex Scandal wrote:
My favorite song, ever.

i wouldnt call these guys a guilty pleasure. there really talented.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/angelina.matera
Otaku4Life

Otaku4Life

PostSubject: Re: Guilty pleasures of music   Guilty pleasures of music - Page 2 EmptySat May 18, 2013 10:47 am

Back to top Go down
Razzly

Razzly

PostSubject: Re: Guilty pleasures of music   Guilty pleasures of music - Page 2 EmptySat May 18, 2013 10:29 pm

Angie Matera wrote:
Celebrity Sex Scandal wrote:
My favorite song, ever.

i wouldnt call these guys a guilty pleasure. there really talented.
I know, but the idea of being kidnapped and imprisoned in someone's basement is really appealing to me.

I guess that's my excuse for saying it's a guilty pleasure.
Back to top Go down
Alyxx

Alyxx

PostSubject: Re: Guilty pleasures of music   Guilty pleasures of music - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 3:38 am

Not proud to admit this but this is the music I grew up on and it always makes me nostalgic.

Back to top Go down
http://alyxxgameroom.blogspot.no
AstaKask

AstaKask

PostSubject: Re: Guilty pleasures of music   Guilty pleasures of music - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 6:59 pm

It's the ultimate "laugh at the freaks" music.
Back to top Go down
Inquisitor

Inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: Guilty pleasures of music   Guilty pleasures of music - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 4:32 pm

Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
Ayu is fun! No need to feel guilty! Smile

If you want guilt, I like the Spice Girls.

You beat me to it. In spite of all the other music I listen to, I actually kinda dig the Spice Girls. They’re infinitely better than anything in the last decade worth of shit on the radio.
Back to top Go down
ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: Guilty pleasures of music   Guilty pleasures of music - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 11:38 pm

Also, I like Robbie Williams (older stuff anyway), Bowling for Soup, and

EDIT: Genesis with Phil Collins as the frontman (although Peter Gabriel's solo work is fantastic). the Genesis albums ...And Then There Were Three, Abacab, and Genesis, are you satisfied you insufferable pedant?

Last edited by ChaosTheory on Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://anxietycloset.storenvy.com
Skibz

Skibz

PostSubject: Re: Guilty pleasures of music   Guilty pleasures of music - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2014 10:05 am

ChaosTheory wrote:
...and Genesis with Phil Collins as the frontman (although Peter Gabriel's solo work is fantastic).

It's an understandable generalization, but I always nitpick comments like that because people always forget that Genesis still produced some excellent and still very progressive albums with Collins at the helm before they gradually started moving in a more overtly pop direction. 'A Trick of the Tail' and 'Wind & Wuthering' are just as good and richly complex as anything the band produced with Gabriel, and they're actually my personal favorite Genesis albums.

I'd start discussing 'Duke' at length, but it just doesn't feel right unless I'm directing two hookers to degrade themselves in front of a VHS camcorder.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theskibz
Alyxx

Alyxx

PostSubject: Re: Guilty pleasures of music   Guilty pleasures of music - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 6:57 pm

The pop Genesis albums are my favourites to be honest. Sometimes I just want decent pop/rock music and those serve wonderfully.
Back to top Go down
CowboyCrocket

PostSubject: Re: Guilty pleasures of music   Guilty pleasures of music - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 9:48 pm

Even if Ferris Bueller didn't exist I'd still like this song.
Back to top Go down
Skibz

Skibz

PostSubject: Re: Guilty pleasures of music   Guilty pleasures of music - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 2:23 pm

Alyxx wrote:
The pop Genesis albums are my favourites to be honest. Sometimes I just want decent pop/rock music and those serve wonderfully.

It seems to be an "either or" with most people, and I can't say I blame them. People who dig the '80s pop of "Invisible Touch" aren't likely the same people who will appreciate a seven-part 23-minute progressive epic like "Supper's Ready" and vice versa. I lie in the middle. The Phil-fronted 'Wind & Wuthering' is very rich and progressive but has a softer edge than the grandiose theatricality of the Gabriel albums and somehow it's one of the greatest albums I've ever heard. They did maintain some progressive elements on all of their pop albums, but it's very disappointing to hear such extremely talented musicians play basic pop. Same goes for Yes' unfortunate foray into pop/adult contemporary at the same time. At least Rush kept the complex musicianship even if the song structures and time signatures became more "normal".

But I've ranted enough.
Back to top Go down
Alyxx

Alyxx

PostSubject: Re: Guilty pleasures of music   Guilty pleasures of music - Page 2 EmptyWed May 13, 2015 8:48 pm

Genesis basically turned into a different band yeah. But at least they made very good pop music...
Back to top Go down
Razzly

Razzly

PostSubject: Re: Guilty pleasures of music   Guilty pleasures of music - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 10, 2015 4:04 am

Christian rock music is as bad as manele and hip-hop. I used to know a guy who'd listen to christian rock music all the time. I always thought he was a bit of a gay fruitcake, but he meant well.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Guilty pleasures of music   Guilty pleasures of music - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 10, 2015 7:22 am

oh i love Genesis's pop music as well as their early stuff. Please don't ask is easily a favorite of mine. that's from (1980)'s Duke which is a great concept album actually
Back to top Go down
Skibz

Skibz

PostSubject: Re: Guilty pleasures of music   Guilty pleasures of music - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 11, 2015 5:12 am

Razzly wrote:
Christian rock music is as bad as manele and hip-hop. I used to know a guy who'd listen to christian rock music all the time. I always thought he was a bit of a gay fruitcake, but he meant well.

All genres have their good and bad. I like some musically fantastic progressive rock bands who work Christian themes into their music, but rarely have I come across the "Christian rock" band who wasn't passably generic at best.

I am, however, a huge fan of Five Iron Frenzy, a Christian ska-rock band who wore their faith on their sleeve but sang more about themes of Christian hypocrisy, genocide, blind nationalism and much deeper subjects than the praise and worship lyrics commonly associated with Christian music. Left-leaning Christian bands are an unfortunate rarity, but right-wing Evangelism does everything in its power to drown out any Christian voices who don't fit their interpretations of their beliefs.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Guilty pleasures of music   Guilty pleasures of music - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 11, 2015 6:24 am

i don't like christian Rock either but i don't think they are friut cakes. when i was in my teens i had a job coach and she'd pick me up cause i had no license to drive. and we'd take turns jamming to my music one day and her's the next and she loved Christian Rock and i hated it but it was a fair deal i think. i think she if memory serves me right went to a concert once and at the concert or after it or something they had a bootleg of that concert i think for sale. it's been 20 years so my memory could be wrong on that. and i do agree that all genres have terrible music.

i love love Rock Music but there's plenty of bands from it i think are terrible. for example
Back to top Go down
Inquisitor

Inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: Guilty pleasures of music   Guilty pleasures of music - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 6:48 pm

Skibz wrote:
Razzly wrote:

All genres have their good and bad. I like some musically fantastic progressive rock bands who work Christian themes into their music, but rarely have I come across the "Christian rock" band who wasn't passably generic at best.

I am, however, a huge fan of Five Iron Frenzy, a Christian ska-rock band who wore their faith on their sleeve but sang more about themes of Christian hypocrisy, genocide, blind nationalism and much deeper subjects than the praise and worship lyrics commonly associated with Christian music. Left-leaning Christian bands are an unfortunate rarity, but right-wing Evangelism does everything in its power to drown out any Christian voices who don't fit their interpretations of their beliefs.

I also like Five Iron Frenzy. Another example of christian rock without the preachy overtones is the heavy metal band 'Demon Hunter'.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guilty pleasures of music   Guilty pleasures of music - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Guilty pleasures of music
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2