The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

British shows on Netflix!

Go down 
+8
Frank Rizzo
shaun millington
Mongoose
Shaun239
Cactus_Matt
Mother of Invention
The Original Greaser Bob
LucasChad
12 posters
AuthorMessage
LucasChad

LucasChad

British shows on Netflix! Empty
PostSubject: British shows on Netflix!   British shows on Netflix! EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 9:00 am

Recently at the start of the new year, I started watching different British comedy shows on Netflix Instant Streaming. First there's Monty Python's Flying Circus before moving on to Fawlty Towers. Then I tried watching Black Adder which is good because NF doesn't have Mr. Bean available. I just got done watching all four seasons of A Bit of Fry and Laurie. Those that love the show House MD should seek out watching a young Hugh Laurie being hilarious.

I'm thinking of watching Red Dwarf next but I want to ask some of you guys if it's any good. Nine seasons must be a lot to watch!
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: British shows on Netflix!   British shows on Netflix! EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 9:13 am

I never saw Red Dwarf, so I can't weigh in on that one. I would, however, highly recommend Father Ted. It's a sitcom about three catholic priests banished to a remote island community off the coast of Scotland as punishment for various, terrible things they did.
Back to top Go down
Mother of Invention

Mother of Invention

PostSubject: Re: British shows on Netflix!   British shows on Netflix! EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 10:55 am

TopGear?

Whose Line is it Anyway?
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: British shows on Netflix!   British shows on Netflix! EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 11:27 am

Mother of Invention wrote:
Whose Line is it Anyway?

^This^
Back to top Go down
Cactus_Matt

Cactus_Matt

PostSubject: Re: British shows on Netflix!   British shows on Netflix! EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 11:42 am

The Dude wrote:
Mother of Invention wrote:
Whose Line is it Anyway?

^This^

I much prefer the American version.
Back to top Go down
Cactus_Matt

Cactus_Matt

PostSubject: Re: British shows on Netflix!   British shows on Netflix! EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 11:48 am

As for British shows, Red Dwarf is a must, but bare in mind that the first series is a bit slow to get going, the later series' are much better.

Other great (older) shows are One Foot In The Grave, Absolutely Fabulous, Allo Allo, The Young Ones, Bottom.

And as The Dude mentioned, Father Ted, that's epic win.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: British shows on Netflix!   British shows on Netflix! EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 1:10 am

Cactus_Matt wrote:
As for British shows, Red Dwarf is a must, but bare in mind that the first series is a bit slow to get going, the later series' are much better.

Other great (older) shows are One Foot In The Grave, Absolutely Fabulous, Allo Allo, The Young Ones, Bottom.

And as The Dude mentioned, Father Ted, that's epic win.
I love Father Jack, man.
Back to top Go down
Shaun239

Shaun239

PostSubject: Re: British shows on Netflix!   British shows on Netflix! EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 1:07 am

Spaced, if its on there and also The League of Gentlemen.
Back to top Go down
Mongoose

Mongoose

PostSubject: Re: British shows on Netflix!   British shows on Netflix! EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 3:46 am

I get a kick out of The Inbetweeners whenever I get a chance to watch it. Unfortunately, as far as I know, it isn't available through netflix.
Back to top Go down
shaun millington

shaun millington

PostSubject: Re: British shows on Netflix!   British shows on Netflix! EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 6:55 am

I really love Red Dwarf (and being a British person) I got to meat Lister and Rimmer, the same day I meet Lance Henriksen, best day ever

My best shows are, in no order:

Red Dwarf
One Foot in The Grave
Farther Ted
Black Adder
Bottom
The Young Ones

and thats all I can think of for now.

The only bad things about these is that each series as like 6 to 8 episodes because the BBC doesn't give them much budget, except for there 50 year running shows, which bore the ass off of me, and we have to pay TV licenses to fund the shows, but it goes to the long running shows mostly, which sucks.
Back to top Go down
http://shauntm.deviantart.com/
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: British shows on Netflix!   British shows on Netflix! EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 7:27 am

I *love* The Young Ones! Rik Myall FTW!
Back to top Go down
moonsknight

PostSubject: Re: British shows on Netflix!   British shows on Netflix! EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 1:08 pm

I suppose I'll be the one to make the obligatory Doctor Who suggestion. If you like Sci-Fi and British humor you really can't go wrong watching Doctor Who.
Back to top Go down
morpheuslow

PostSubject: Re: British shows on Netflix!   British shows on Netflix! EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 9:49 am

The Dude wrote:
I never saw Red Dwarf, so I can't weigh in on that one. I would, however, highly recommend Father Ted. It's a sitcom about three catholic priests banished to a remote island community off the coast of Scotland Ireland as punishment for various, terrible things they did.

Sorry for correcting you but it's Ireland, it's just one of those things that bugs Irish people is that people think that Ireland is part of Scotland or they both are the same place much like Canadians get annoyed being confused for Americans and New Zealanders hate being called Australian.

I guess Father Ted could be considered a British sitcom because it was funded by Channel 4 but it was written and acted by Irish people and the outdoor scenes were filmed in Ireland.

I would also recommend The Young Ones and Bottom as great British sitcoms

[Edit]
Also Green Wing which is weird but once you get into it awesome
Back to top Go down
TobyMobias

TobyMobias

PostSubject: Re: British shows on Netflix!   British shows on Netflix! EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 5:40 am

If you've ever watched "Doctor Who", but thought 'needs more sex and violence', then Torchwood might be up your alley.

Alternately, if you thought it needed more of a mystery angle (but retaining the aliens and sci-fi), you might enjoy "The Sarah Jane Adventures", which is much better than their previous title "Doctor Who, now with more Scooby-Doo!"
Back to top Go down
http://blip.tv/masterpiecefanfic
Son Of Jack Deth

Son Of Jack Deth

PostSubject: Re: British shows on Netflix!   British shows on Netflix! EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 7:32 am

Red Dwarf is a must. I consider it one of the funniest shows ever written. Personal opinion of course. Also, it's only 8 seasons with each season generally only 6 episodes long. So it shouldn't take you too long to rip through them. Then there was a mini-series called "Back To Earth" which is quite bad. I cannot recommend that at all. Most fans wouldn't either.

If you are strictly looking for comedies, I also recommend highly, "Black Books". Funny show with dry dark wit.

In the science fiction action category I recommend "Primeval". The first two seasons are the best, after that it goes down hill a bit but is still worth watching.

Want something different in the detective genre, then check out "The Last Detective" Starring ex Doctor Peter Davison. The stories are excellent, and the acting top drawer old man.

Enjoy.
Back to top Go down
morpheuslow

PostSubject: Re: British shows on Netflix!   British shows on Netflix! EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 8:36 am

Coupling and Spaced also great Brit shows
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: British shows on Netflix!   British shows on Netflix! Empty

Back to top Go down

British shows on Netflix!
Page 1 of 1