The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Go down 
+81
Tabascofanatikerin
Razzly
Inquisitor
Skibz
Ninty64X
The_Stone_Guest
Toyland Chairman
ZappaDave
Alyxx
metateen
80'sDavid
aga
EvilSpirit
AstaKask
EccentricSnob
fubar_in_pittsburgh
perkele
kraufen
jasn0_X
Hybrid Pig-Boy
polygonalchemist
Subterfuge
Longinus
theGerman
Kayna
Weezy-LUiGi
The Man in Black
Eckertmania
Santa Dog II
ItsVince725
gunflyer
Ashxking
PanzerschreckLeopard
LeMunson
Randy Spears
Brakywaki
Tykittaa
Indiana Groans
DanteRespite
Rudiger
Jerky McSquirt
IAKO
UnholyMephistopheles
Salim
Captain Smack-Pigeon
Second Hand Store
Candyman
TheCinemaCynic
barrylikesbnbns
moonsknight
Vendaval FJ
O'Hara
Dyson sphere
unrealbe
gregmcduck
Angie Matera
obin_gam
KingLDub
UnknownKadath
MonkeyMan
Son Of Jack Deth
relauby
Bassbait
PCDOS
Frank Rizzo
ScrotumusMaximus
Mondo a Go-Go
tonythe chosen
Tommy Wiseau
Lady stardust
ermac
LeperMessiah117
Kaneda
A Cockatrice
Mother of Invention
JustinDP
The Original Greaser Bob
LucasChad
thegormer
Minuto
85 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
AuthorMessage
Skibz

Skibz

What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 38 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2014 11:37 am

EccentricSnob wrote:
Citizen Toxie: Toxic Avenger IV: Managed to dethrone Poultrygeist as my favorite Troma movie, and it is amazing. I mean, can you really go wrong with a Diaper Mafia in your B-movie, or even a side-kick named Lardass? - 10/10 (And yes, I've also seen the original. I honestly prefer this movie because this one is way more over-the-top and funnier than the original).

If I had to rank Lloyd(/Michael)'s films...

'Tromeo & Juliet' -> 'Poultrygeist' -> 'The Toxic Avenger' -> 'Troma's War' -> 'Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.' -> 'Class of Nuke 'em High' -> 'Terror Firmer' -> 'The First Turn-On!' -> 'The Toxic Avenger Part II' -> 'Stuck On You!' -> 'Squeeze Play!' -> 'Citizen Toxie' -> 'Waitress!' -> 'Tales from the Crapper' -> 'The Battle of Love's Return' -> 'The Toxic Avenger Part III' -> 'The Girl Who Returned'

I only saw parts of 'Big Gus, What's the Fuss?', but I'm sure it'd be near the bottom. I know a lot of people really love 'Toxie IV', but I'm in the minority of those who don't. To me, it felt like Troma was trying a bit too hard to be intentionally cheesy, offensive and low-budget; it worked for the meta-humor of 'Terror Firmer', but it just felt cheap for a Toxie film. I'll give it this much: at least things happen in it, unlike the excruciatingly boring 'Toxie III'.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theskibz
EccentricSnob

EccentricSnob

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 38 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 5:23 am

Skibz wrote:

If I had to rank Lloyd(/Michael)'s films...

'Tromeo & Juliet' -> 'Poultrygeist' -> 'The Toxic Avenger' -> 'Troma's War' -> 'Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.' -> 'Class of Nuke 'em High' -> 'Terror Firmer' -> 'The First Turn-On!' -> 'The Toxic Avenger Part II' -> 'Stuck On You!' -> 'Squeeze Play!' -> 'Citizen Toxie' -> 'Waitress!' -> 'Tales from the Crapper' -> 'The Battle of Love's Return' -> 'The Toxic Avenger Part III' -> 'The Girl Who Returned'

I've only seen (of those, but outside of that list I've seen Surf Nazis Must Die and Class of Nuke 'Em High 2): The Toxic Avenger (1 and 4 only), Class of Nuke 'Em High, Poultrygeist, and parts of Terror Firmer (I didn't finish it because outside distractions). I'd probably go Citizen Toxie, then Poultrygeist (this and Citizen Toxie would get a 10/10), then Terror Firmer, then Toxic Avenger, and the Class of Nuke 'Em High.
Back to top Go down
Skibz

Skibz

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 38 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 5:47 am

The 'Nuke 'em High' sequels were actually directed by Eric Louzil and 'Surf Nazis' by Peter George. I had to limit it to just Kaufman's films; as I've seen the near-entirety of the Troma library up to 2008, that would be way too long of a list to make.

I'm one of the few who really love 'Nuke 'em High' 2 & 3, so I'd put them relatively high on my list. 'Surf Nazis Must Die' has one of the greatest titles, posters and trailers in film history, but the movie itself is dreadfully dull and incoherent.
Back to top Go down
EccentricSnob

EccentricSnob

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 38 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 7:59 pm

Skibz wrote:
The 'Nuke 'em High' sequels were actually directed by Eric Louzil and 'Surf Nazis' by Peter George. I had to limit it to just Kaufman's films; as I've seen the near-entirety of the Troma library up to 2008, that would be way too long of a list to make.

I'm one of the few who really love 'Nuke 'em High' 2 & 3, so I'd put them relatively high on my list. 'Surf Nazis Must Die' has one of the greatest titles, posters and trailers in film history, but the movie itself is dreadfully dull and incoherent.

Fair enough, because Kaufman has made some of the better Troma titles, even though I honestly prefer the second Nuke 'em High over the first.

And shame on you! Surf Nazis Must Die had a sweet score, which aside from that I agree with you.
Back to top Go down
AstaKask

AstaKask

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 38 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 11:19 pm

Cabin in the Woods 9/10

This movie kicked ass! If you haven't seen it, do.
Back to top Go down
Skibz

Skibz

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 38 EmptyWed Nov 12, 2014 2:32 pm

EccentricSnob wrote:
Skibz wrote:

Fair enough, because Kaufman has made some of the better Troma titles, even though I honestly prefer the second Nuke 'em High over the first.

And shame on you! Surf Nazis Must Die had a sweet score, which aside from that I agree with you.

I love the cartoonish aesthetic of the 'Nuke 'em High' sequels. Troma really perfected their style around 1988-1993, and despite Lloyd and Michael only being producers, the 'Nuke 'em' sequels epitomize it. Also, Brick Bronsky is easily my favorite Troma star, and not just because his name is "Brick Bronsky".

I really want to like 'Surf Nazis'...I own the t-shirt and I'm actually even good friends with the guy who played Mengele. It definitely has its merits and it has some great ideas and visuals, but it's so poorly paced and badly structured. I'll be lenient towards it because there are some much, much, much worse Troma films to sit through ('Actium Maximus', 'Dumpster Baby', 'Body Parts', most of the movies on the Toxie Triple Terror DVD packs, etc.), but it's still one film I'd love to see the Snob tackle.
Back to top Go down
Weezy-LUiGi

Weezy-LUiGi

PostSubject: RE: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 38 EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 3:23 am

Interstellar:
What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 38 Whoa-311
Back to top Go down
Toyland Chairman

Toyland Chairman

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 38 EmptySun Nov 23, 2014 1:12 am

What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 38 Godzilla1985

First saw this as a kid, and it's still one of my most favorite Godzilla films. Got the 1997 reissue VHS, but it still includes the GODZILLA MEETS BAMBI cartoon. The American footage doesn't add much, and Raymond Burr doesn't have as much to do as he did in GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS, but I love that they tried to make it a direct sequel to the US version. I wish Toho and Legendary Pictures would come together to make a third film in the "Steve Martin" continuity. Make it about the grandson who appeared briefly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/
The_Stone_Guest

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 38 EmptySun Nov 23, 2014 6:19 am

I saw Abel Gance's "Napoleon" last night. For something made in 1927, this film holds up IMMENSELY well and was totally ahead of its time. A good deal of its historical accuracy is questionable though, and not just because Napoleon talks to some ghosts in one scene.

Almost certainly the version I saw is the one that Francis Ford Coppola was involved in restoring. There's also a 5-hr version that is not going to hit DVD or Blu-Ray in North America anytime soon because Coppola's being a prick and insists on his version, probably because his old man did the score.
Back to top Go down
http://the-stone-guest.livejournal.com/
Ninty64X

Ninty64X

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 38 EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 6:43 am

The last movie I watched was Dumb and Dumber. I really enjoyed it, especially due to all the little details throughout it. Anyone who sees it as a typical stupid comedy is definitely missing out on the big picture. Some of the gross out jokes fell flat, but overall it's a great comedy that I'd love to have in my collection.
Back to top Go down
Weezy-LUiGi

Weezy-LUiGi

PostSubject: RE: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 38 EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 8:07 pm

Birdman
geek Like the boys said in the Midnight Screening, the cast and camerawork really makes this movie. There were moments when, as a theatrical veteran, I questioned Riggan's talent as a theatrical performer, but overall the movie was phenomenal and defintiely one of my top faves of the year. 4.8/5

Gone Girl
affraid Well that was chilling. Again, cast was really great. My dad had some continuity problems later in the movie, but overall a definite awards contender Exclamation 4.4/5
Back to top Go down
AstaKask

AstaKask

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 38 EmptySun Nov 30, 2014 10:54 pm

Airplane.

This was back when spoof movies were actually funny.
Back to top Go down
Tabascofanatikerin

Tabascofanatikerin

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 38 EmptyMon Dec 01, 2014 1:35 am

Sorry for not showing up for longer in this forum. My bad.
In the meantime I was moving to somewhere else, I have a lot to travel now to my working place and have less time for writing stuff like this. But I wanna take a few minutes to check what was going on here.

And I wanna tell you for a start what movies I have watched since then but in a few sentences:

Hotel Transylvania

Actually not that bad. It has its ups (especially the very cartoony animation and the relationship between Dracula and his daughter) but also its downs (some jokes, the plot in general and especially the totally annoying human teenager who falls in love with Dracula's daughter).

Goodnight, Mr. Foot

A short cartoon that is a bonus on the "Hotel Transylvania" DVD.
Visually it's okay enough but even for a few minutes the plot is way too thin and boring.

Coraline

A very fine, almost-perfect animated movie with great visuals and story, plus I can imagine this as one of the best horror movies for kids ever.

ParaNorman

I can repeat what I just wrote about Coraline. What makes this movie a tiny little bit not-as-good is the slapstick humor between all the more serious, tragic scenes (which I personally enjoyed more). I love the main character and the witch plot.

BoJack Horseman

Only the first episode but after that I gave it up. Doesn't really entertain me, it reminds me of the Family Guy humor too much.

Her

The second time (now on DVD). I still love it.

Thumbelina (my first movie watched via Netflix)

The Don Bluth one.
Very mediocre and dated and I have some issues with it (like the messages and how damned rush everything in this movie seems to be, even the seasons) but there's still some charme left as well as good animations and a lot of unintentional funny moments.

Sharknado 2

Oh god...but it's a bit better than the first one, I guess. I really enjoyed the weather broadcast scenes (with the shark icons).

The Powerpuff Girls: Dance Pantsed

I was shown this, just to tell that I'm not a PPG fan.
I know the show a bit and it's quite enjoyable.
But this special which is like a pilote or something was strange. The design is very different but most of all: it wasn't really funny or suspenseful. The girls were annoying and the Professor behaved in an embarassing way. Oh and Ringo Starr starred in this (AND made advertisement for this cartoon). Weird.

Gremlins

Haven't seen this for many years.
It's a fine 80's monster family comedy movie but not a masterpiece in my opinion. Afterwards I had the sudden urge of reading the MAD parody of that movie again.

Nightcrawler

My movie in the theater as my birthday event.
It was okay. I may be one of the very few who don't think of this as a masterpiece. I enjoyed Jake Gyllenhaal (I generally enjoy him) and some scenes but still, it didn't leave a grand impression on me. But afterwards I watched Brad's review on this and I enjoyed that.

Enchanted (Netflix)

Funny: I like this movie more than "Frozen" (which I find too mediocre, unoriginal and sometimes annoying).
"Enchanted" has some funny, enjoyable characters and the combination of fairytale world and reality ended up well. But this movie could be shorter.

A Christmas Carol (the Zemeckis motion-capture version from 2009) (Netflix)

Admitted, I know only a small handfull of "Christmas Carol" adaptations (mostly the Disney one with Scrooge McDuck) and I didn't grow up with the story (but still know it).
This version gave me enough entertainment, good scenes and Christmas feeling. Not perfect or fantastic but still worth a watch if you like Christmas movies.
Back to top Go down
http://tabascofanatikerin.deviantart.com
perkele

perkele

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 38 EmptyMon Dec 01, 2014 2:38 am

Tabascofanatikerin wrote:

BoJack Horseman

Only the first episode but after that I gave it up. Doesn't really entertain me, it reminds me of the Family Guy humor too much.

I thought BoJack Horseman was really great. Although it kinda shifts too much into a serious drama towards the end of the first season, at least for my taste. I really can't stand Family Guy but liked this one, maybe it's just me, but I don't think they're similar shows at all. I think you should at least give the second episode a shot.
Back to top Go down
perkele

perkele

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 38 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2014 2:28 am

Just got back from seeing Interstellar. I really don't have much to say, except that it's definitely the best movie I've seen this whole year, and definitely Nolan's best movie. Those of you who happened to read my long and rambling thread about life and universe earlier this year know that I'm really into this kind of stuff, and this movie resonated with me on every level. It was so emotionally engaging and thrilling, I was literally on the edge of my seat for the last hour of this thing.

If you start to think about it too much afterwards, It kinda falls apart a bit, but I'm totally willing to forgive it for all the reasons I stated above.
Back to top Go down
Otaku4Life

Otaku4Life

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 38 EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 3:19 am

"The Interview"
Really funny movie.
I wish it was released in more theaters.
I had to travel out of town to see it.
Id' rater see it on the big screen instead of on a streaming site.
Back to top Go down
Tabascofanatikerin

Tabascofanatikerin

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 38 EmptyFri Jan 02, 2015 2:34 am

My vacation soon ends and this is what I have watched so far

Movies:

Poseidon Rex
Typical "Gigantic wild animal hunts stupid, decently attractive people" movie. Well, there are worse films of that kind and at least a few funny moments in this crap.

A Liar's Autobiography: The Untrue Story of Monty Python's Graham Chapman
This time with my father (who is also a Monty Python fan but found this Biopic way too extreme and naughty).

Targets
A really suspenseful movie about two plots: One is about an angry old actor having enough with making films (played by Boris Karloff) but the other is about a normal young guy having enough with his boring family life - and starting a killing spree (he loves hunting, you see). It's an older movie which challenges your patience more but it pays off.

Little Lord Fauntleroy
The first time I've seen this holiday classic. It wasn't that great or touching for me but it gave me and my dad some opportunities to make jokes ("Grandfather appears to really love me as his slaps become more gentle...").

The Muppet Christmas Carol
This time with my mom who is a Muppets fan. And I admit, I like it more than the last (and first) time I saw it. A funny, beautiful and nice movie.

Terminator 1
Awesome, just awesome! About everything in it is well done.

Life of Brian
On Christmas day Wink (and it's still my favourite movie of all time)

Shorts:

The Adventures of André and Wally B.
A very thin story but for 1984, wow, this animation is quite impressive stuff.

Space Cat Hob
I like the animations and the cat's design as well as the soundtrack.

Tin Toy
Again: Impressive animations for this time period with a funny ending.

The Lady and the Reaper
A funny short about the death to an old lady (that disturbingly starts quite touching and serious). Full of live (ironically).

Don't hug me, I'm scared I + II + III
I'm glad I checked them out because I enjoyed these three quite much, especially the second one about time. Very well done on many levels.

Blackfly
The song was nice but everything else was not really appealing to me.

The Midnight Parasites
How it would like if Terry Gilliam was Japanese and would create animations for some horror show. Sick and abstract, very fascinating to watch (and to listen since there is no sound, only creepy music).

Zero
Not quite a subtle short about social classes, tolerance and acceptance but it has a nice ending (and the main character reminds me of sack boy from the "Little Big Planet" games).

Toy Story Toons: Hawaiian Vacation
I'm totally not a fan of jokes about Hawaii but this short is still worth a watch, especially because of Ken, he's funny!

Chainsaw Maid
Like "Midnight Parasites" the atmosphere is made by the soundtrack, the animation is stop motion that's at least a bit sloppy.

The Maker
A short that could deserve a few more minutes about a rabbit thing creating another rabbit. Too short, fascinating.

The Sandman
Damn, this is another candidate for "Scariest animated short", just because of the ending!

The Lost Thing
Very boring, visually it's okay. The ending is designed nicely but in the end it's a boring short, like "Mr. Hublot" (both shorts btw won an Academy Award).

Omelette
A 2 Minutes-short about a dog helping his master in cooking omelette. Very short but cute and visually fine.

This Way up
It's a macabre, dark, funny short about two men carrying a coffin to the funeral (which turns out to be harder than they thought). It could be shorter (the last two minutes or so could be cut out and it would be fine), it's okay but nothing very funny or special.

Tangled Ever After
The short about the wedding of the couple of Disney's "Tangled". The short gets funnier and funnier, the gags are quite good as well as the animation. Yes, I laughed a few times.

Fallen Art
A very interesting short about the senseless waste of young soldiers' lives. The climax is very strange and I probably won't get this out of my mind for a while.

Ha! Ha! Ha!
A Betty Boop cartoon from 1934 about laughing gas. The ending is very bizarr but maybe just normal for 1930's cartoons.

Balance
A German stop motion short about cooperation and greed between people. An interesting work of art.

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
Another not-so-subtle short with a message, this time about books. Still: Quite heart-warming, nicely done in many ways and I like the fact that Mr. Morris Lessmore is designed after Buster Keaton.

The Cat with Hands
A mix between live action and stop motion. A short I wished that was longer because of the great atmosphere and story.

Kick-Heart
A Japanese short about wrestling and love (yeah). Not always exciting but the climax with the final wrestling match is created well.

Bambi meets Godzilla
I get the idea that it's all meant to be funny but still: Very little animation, no story but a lots of credits to roll. Not the things I'd like to enjoy in an animated short.

Anna & Bella
Two old sisters look back at their lives as sisters. The animation is full of life and the story started out well but the serious turn it suddenly took near the end was almost uncomfortable, that way it didn't really fit.

She and her Cat: Their Standing Points
The story about a cat telling about his beloved female owner is really something to like but it could have deserved more atmosphere, time and a bit more story.

Sisyphus
Amazing animation and sound!

Someone's Gaze (Dareka no Manazashi)
A quite touching Japanese short about the relationship between a grown-up daughter and her old parents.

Fumiko's Confession
More like a very short slapstick number. The animation is alright but strangely enought it wasn't that entertaining.

French Roast
A funny short with nice character designs and a story about a business man unable to pay all the coffees in a café.

The Cat came back
Some kind of an animated musical number about a grumpy old man trying to get rid off a kitten. It was alright but that's it. Very mediocre.

Fresh Guacamole
Just two minutes short without a story but the visuals are great and overall it's creative.

The God
Nice short about how it looks like when a God (Shiva in this case) isn't able to fight off a fly.

The Wheel
A clever story about two living rocks watching the development of mankind.

The Employment
Actually a short worth a watch with fine animation and a dark atmosphere about people having jobs as chairs, tables, elevators, cabs and so on.

Also I could complete watching all episodes of the Austrian (funny) crime TV series "Kottan ermittelt".
Back to top Go down
Tabascofanatikerin

Tabascofanatikerin

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 38 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 11:09 pm

Some movies I watched during the last 1 1/2 weeks or so:

Executive Koala

A Japanese flick from the director of "Calamari Wrestler" about a Koala man working a usual businessman job but hiding a dark secret. In the beginning it's as crazy as you can think but in the end you pretty much get used to it and the movie seems to rely entirely on the fact that a dude runs around as a koala the whole time and (almost) nothing else. The climax is too long and the movie overall could be shorter. It's fine for watching but I personally don't have the urge to watch it again in the near future.

RawHead Rex

A typical 1980's cheap monster movie. It's quite funny to see how little the budget must have been, the monster can also be amusing in a few scenes. The acting is very bad, the posessed priest is my favourite. But generally it's bad, nothing special and something you can only enjoy with friends.

Hentai Kamen

Hell yeah, what a funny Japanese movie! It's crazy as usual but even a bit crazier. Unlike "Executive Koala", it just doesn't rely on its main hero but also on funny attacks, funny villains and most of all on hilarious dialogues that would make me come back to "Hentai Kamen". See it if you haven't!

The Long Swift Sword of Siegfried

An erotic movie that would be filled with black boxes if the Snob would review it (thanks to naked boobies and asses all the time): The hero Siegfried has a good time with women here and there - that's all I can remember from the plot (okay, he marries at one point but who cares). The movie is very cheap, silly and unintentionally funny - just look at how the female characters run around there, even outdoors.

Snowpiercer

I am not very fond of the movie but I admit that it has some good scenes, ideas and actors. Outside from questions about logic the film has a quite boring hero and horribly cut action scenes. In my opinion it's so-so - not more, not less.

Dracula vs. Frankenstein

Oh God...how can a movie combining Dracula, Frankenstein's monster, a werewolf and a mummy be so awfully dull? Thank God I saw it as a part of the funny "Worst movies of all times" series on the German TV channel Tele5 so funny comments would make some moments worthwhile. I hope I'll never have to see it again.

Hugo Cabret

I dig this film as it's eye candy but also provides a nice story: It starts with a poor boy and his adventure in Paris and pretty much ends as a love letter to the birth of cinema. I like the visuals, actors and the obvious love for details (like the scenes about making silent films).
But I admit, it's pretty weird if you have seen Scorcese's "Wolf of Wall Street" before "Hugo" Wink
Back to top Go down
The_Stone_Guest

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 38 EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 12:38 pm

I saw the third and last of The Hobbit movies. It was pretty much what I expected; what I most certainly did NOT expect were the sandworms from the Dune novels to make a cameo in it.

Also, I re-watched the original V miniseries after many, many years. Doubtless I'll do a proper review eventually, but suffice it to say that back in the day, a lot of people were retching when they had seen Jane Badler swallow a guinea pig whole. It's the most iconic moment in that miniseries, but the actual sequence of her downing the critter isn't even at the par of a modern photoshopped .gif. Also, pretty much every scene with Blair Tefkin in it just makes the action grind to a halt. I know Robin isn't supposed to be the brightest bulb in the box but Jesus Christ this chick is dumb.
Back to top Go down
http://the-stone-guest.livejournal.com/
ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 38 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 2:53 am

GRAVITY - I kept waiting to feel something - anxiety, sympathy, fear, anger, ANYTHING - from this fucking thing. It's like a gift box display in a department store; yes, the presentation is immaculate but there's nothing actually there. I liked CHILDREN OF MEN but this was just prettily wrapped nothing. 2/10
Back to top Go down
http://anxietycloset.storenvy.com
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 38 EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 5:49 am

i watched a few. one called "Nightmare castle' (1965) a really really good film. with Barbra Steele. i forget what my copy of it was. it's 105 minutes i think? it had an ittalion name to it. i downloaded it. there are other versions that are shorter in fact. in fact this one i'd buy if i see that version in stores.

the other i saw was honeymoon of horror (1964) a really shitty film. the undertaker and his pals a really shitty film from (1966) i dunno what i am going to watch next yet.
Back to top Go down
Tabascofanatikerin

Tabascofanatikerin

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 38 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2015 12:17 am

I just came out of "What we do in the Shadows". It's a sweet little vampire mockumentary, I'm not fully satisfied with it but I'm still happy with having seen it. The characters can be very likeable, the setting looks great (the home of the vampires), the way they live after their rules (like giving each other drawings and fashion tipps since they cannot check themselves in the mirror) and finally there's a movie again where the effects of flying people etc. look natural and are not overloaded with obvious CGI effects.

I also wanted to see "The Tale of the Princess Kaguya" on the same day but household tasks and creative projects kept me so busy that I had to decide for one movie today. So it's the vampire movie Wink
Back to top Go down
ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 38 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 3:20 am

THE MESSENGER (2009) - Will (Ben Foster) is an enlisted man who hasn't really come to terms with his PTSD. He gets assigned to the Casualty Division with an alpha-dog type officer (Woody Harrelson). This is a slow-moving but straightforward and emotionally brutal story about the personal toll of war. There are no combat scenes, it's all about the aftermath. Tremendous performance from Foster and Harrelson was nominated for an Oscar.
If anyone's planning to see AMERICAN SNIPER, please, do yourself a favor and rent this instead; or at least watch it first.
9/10
Back to top Go down
http://anxietycloset.storenvy.com
Tabascofanatikerin

Tabascofanatikerin

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 38 EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 12:33 am

The last movies I saw (and all in theaters, whoopeee!):

What we do in the Shadows

A sweet, funny mockumentary from New Zealand about a living community of four vampires and how they live their lives.
I wouldn't say it's a comedy that makes you laugh your ass off but it has some subtle and black humor. The vampire characters make this film and they are all very likeable and funny. Even though some major things in it don't make much sense (like why vampires would let a filming crew film them and their actions if they want to be kept a secret) it's still worth a watch. I enjoyed it.

The Imitation Game

The best recent movie running in theaters I've seen for a while.
It's about the British genius Alan Turing and his efforts on breaking the Third Reich's Enigma code in order to influence World War II.
Truly a wellmade movie, well-played and exciting.
Sure there are a few flaws (like casting a Hollywood beauty as Turing's partner Joan Clarke even though she looked way different) but they don't spoil the movie for me. I also like that the main weight of the story was put on Turing's work, not on his homosexuality (even though it also plays a role, of course).
It's a movie I can definitely recommend.

The Legend of the Princess Kaguya

More or less the newest work by the Ghibli studios (however, it was pretty much finished at the same time as "The Wind rises" ).
The movie tells the old Japanese legend of a Princess from out of this world being found, adopted and raised by a humble couple until they decide to give this "heavinly gift" a life of a princess.
Without a doubt, this is - again - a beautiful movie, full of great music, atmosphere and animations (they look sketchy but still good). It's great that the viewer can make own interpretations of the story (since not everything is explained here).
But I still wouldn't call it a masterpiece. The biggest problem I had with it it's that it's way too long. The movie tells a quite thin story in over two hours which makes some sequences rather tedious.
But with that said there are still some great scenes with much beauty, atmosphere and (typical for Ghibli) love for nature.

Big Hero 6

The newest Disney CGI animated movie that started here last week.
I tell you right away what I enjoyed the most in that: It's Baymax. God, he is so sweet and likeable, he also supplied the most working jokes. But aside from that, I have to admit, I wasn't that impressed. Unfortunately, the story was too predictable and familiar, so my excitement was limited. If you want an original and more touching story about a boy and his robot, go rather watch "The Iron Giant". But still, "Big Hero 6" isn't that bad, it's just okay.
When it comes to the last few Disney movies I would say: I like "Big Hero 6" not quite as much as "Wreck-it-Ralph" but easily more than "Frozen".

Feast

The animated short that came before "Big Hero 6".
It's about a dog that loves food and how his owner's love life affects his own life.
It's - again - okay. The dog is sweet but the short isn't especially funny, touching or good-looking.

Here and then I was also shown a lot of these old "Bosko" cartoons from Warner Bros.
Does anyone here know Bosko? He was Warner Bros.' mascot and main cartoon hero of the early 1930s before the famous Looney Tunes characters Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck etc. would take that part.
These cartoons were rather tame, bland and a bit lazy (also compared to other cartoons of this era) but watching it with another person it's okay to watch.
Back to top Go down
AstaKask

AstaKask

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 38 EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 1:35 am

Tabascofanatikerin wrote:
The Imitation Game

The best recent movie running in theaters I've seen for a while.
It's about the British genius Alan Turing and his efforts on breaking the Third Reich's Enigma code in order to influence World War II.
Truly a wellmade movie, well-played and exciting.
Sure there are a few flaws (like casting a Hollywood beauty as Turing's partner Joan Clarke even though she looked way different) but they don't spoil the movie for me. I also like that the main weight of the story was put on Turing's work, not on his homosexuality (even though it also plays a role, of course).
It's a movie I can definitely recommend.

I agree. 5/5 stars.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   What Was The Last Movie You Watched? - Page 38 Empty

Back to top Go down

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?
Page 38 of 41Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next