The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What are you listening to?

Go down 
+60
wildhoney66
ChaosTheory
Otaku4Life
Inquisitor
Kristen D
fubar_in_pittsburgh
AstaKask
Necromangler
CowboyCrocket
80'sDavid
JetJunkie
EccentricSnob
aga
EvilSpirit
theGerman
kraufen
Weezy-LUiGi
Subterfuge
Longinus
Fresh Metallic
barrylikesbnbns
Vendaval FJ
OriginalHorndog
Son Of Jack Deth
lady_ash2112
obin_gam
Duckman
CGC002
A Cockatrice
Bassbait
tonythe chosen
Frank Rizzo
The Mighty Skub
Tommy Wiseau
KingLDub
bloodypitofhorror
ScrotumusMaximus
Mondo a Go-Go
Angie Matera
Nephilim
Abbath Doom Occulta
Loxx O)))
yakityyakblah
TheCinemaCynic
Eckertmania
Slait
Lady stardust
JustinDP
Deadpool
UnholyMephistopheles
Mother of Invention
Kaneda
LeperMessiah117
anothercafejava
JennyWoreBlack
ozzyrulz777
LucasChad
thegormer
The Original Greaser Bob
64 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17 ... 31  Next
AuthorMessage
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

What are you listening to? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to?   What are you listening to? - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 1:55 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
I guess they like their young Jeff Bridges less rubbery and creepy.
The rubbery creepiness made for a good antagonist, though.

tonythe chosen wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Love Boris have you ever seen them live?
Unfortunately, I live in Florida, which is a terrible state to be in if you're hoping your favorite band will come through on tour. The closest Boris ever came was that I can remember was Tallahasse, which is still a several hour drive away from where I live.
Back to top Go down
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to?   What are you listening to? - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 2:03 am

The Room soundtrack... which I have to admit, is actually pretty good. It fits the movie perfectly. Too bad it's really repetitive.

The music in this scene is awesome in particular:
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to?   What are you listening to? - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 8:56 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
The Room soundtrack... which I have to admit, is actually pretty good. It fits the movie perfectly. Too bad it's really repetitive.

This might just be me, but it sounds like a weird, vaguely arty version of a song I might here in the background of a Winnie the Pooh episode. Which actually does match his facial expressions pretty well.
Back to top Go down
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to?   What are you listening to? - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 9:08 am

The Dude wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:

This might just be me, but it sounds like a weird, vaguely arty version of a song I might here in the background of a Winnie the Pooh episode. Which actually does match his facial expressions pretty well.

That's what's great about the music.
Back to top Go down
Bassbait

Bassbait

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to?   What are you listening to? - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 9:23 am

To quote the band itself, the band I currently have been running through:

"S! Y! L!

S! Y! L!"

Strapping Young Lad, the only music BY the mentally disturbed, FOR the mentally disturbed.

My favorite song right now is "Happy Camper". That song is INTENSE.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to?   What are you listening to? - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 3:27 am

Am I the only one who thinks that Strapping Young Lad is just an unrepentantly awful band, and that Devin Townsend himself is an over-rated hack (Ziltoid the Omniscient aside)?
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to?   What are you listening to? - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 5:08 am

Probably. I've never seen anything but love for the guy. Personally, I think him and his bands are alright. Don't go out of my way to listen, but I don't think it's horrible.
Back to top Go down
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to?   What are you listening to? - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 5:58 am

The Dude wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks that Strapping Young Lad is just an unrepentantly awful band, and that Devin Townsend himself is an over-rated hack (Ziltoid the Omniscient aside)?

I'm not sure about Devin Townsend, but add me to the list of SYL haters.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to?   What are you listening to? - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 6:24 am

Light This City - Firehaven
Back to top Go down
Bassbait

Bassbait

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to?   What are you listening to? - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 7:59 am

The Dude wrote:

Ya, and I don't like The Big Lebowski. Not even a little.

It's a taste that not everybody can appreciate. His albums can be incredibly well produced a lot of the time (Alien? Best production I've ever heard). His back up band, with GENE HOGLAN (Gene the machine) on drums is just great. His vocal range is unmatched in my opinion. He has a wall of chaotic sound that requires people to really sit down and listen.

But are you telling me that "Almost Again"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwuReRw23_0

is bad music? I think it's all about what you've heard. Plenty of people don't like bands based on one or two songs. SYL's sound is so varied throughout their 5 albums that you can't really listen to one or even 5 to 10 songs and get the full experience. That's why I love them. Feel free to dislike them, but don't call them "unrepentantly awful". They sure have more talent musically than you will probably ever end up achieving, and that's coming from someone who usually doesn't say things like that.

Also, I'd like to throw Detox out there. That song is classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f20L0msLsM

Back to top Go down
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to?   What are you listening to? - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 8:20 am

Bassbait wrote:
The Dude wrote:

It's a taste that not everybody can appreciate. His albums can be incredibly well produced a lot of the time (Alien? Best production I've ever heard). His back up band, with GENE HOGLAN (Gene the machine) on drums is just great. His vocal range is unmatched in my opinion. He has a wall of chaotic sound that requires people to really sit down and listen.

is bad music? I think it's all about what you've heard. Plenty of people don't like bands based on one or two songs. SYL's sound is so varied throughout their 5 albums that you can't really listen to one or even 5 to 10 songs and get the full experience. That's why I love them. Feel free to dislike them, but don't call them "unrepentantly awful". They sure have more talent musically than you will probably ever end up achieving, and that's coming from someone who usually doesn't say things like that.

Sorry, some of us just don't like that band. I don't like any of the songs you posted. It may be good in your opinion, but me and The Dude share a different one.
Back to top Go down
A Cockatrice

A Cockatrice

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to?   What are you listening to? - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 8:42 am

The Dude wrote:

I agree. But then again I am a music snob, and typically only like music made before the year 2000.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to?   What are you listening to? - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 9:16 am

A lot of music I listen to is recorded 2000+ but sounds like it was recorded in the 70s.

Kylesa - Drop Out
Back to top Go down
ozzyrulz777

ozzyrulz777

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to?   What are you listening to? - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 11:23 am

The Dude wrote:
Loxx O))) wrote:
Burzum - Valen
Varg Vikernes...if ever there was a black-metal musician I should like to shoot in the face.

Me too.
Back to top Go down
ozzyrulz777

ozzyrulz777

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to?   What are you listening to? - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 11:29 am

Loxx O))) wrote:
Light This City - Firehaven

LOVE this band. I saw them when they were on tour with HORSE The Band, The Number Twelve Looks Like You, and So Many Dynamos. They killed.
Back to top Go down
Angie Matera

Angie Matera

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to?   What are you listening to? - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 6:25 pm

Loxx O))) wrote:
Probably. I've never seen anything but love for the guy. Personally, I think him and his bands are alright. Don't go out of my way to listen, but I don't think it's horrible.
I agree 100 perecent he just doesnt do anything for me. i never heaard the 2 bands the dude listed though
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/angelina.matera
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to?   What are you listening to? - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 12:39 pm

I wish I could have seen Light This City live. Would be nice if they got back together at some point. If only just to tour. Stormchaser was a good place for them to end musically.

Light This City - Beginning With Release
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to?   What are you listening to? - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 7:38 am

Bassbait wrote:

1) Objection: Relevance

Bassbait wrote:

His albums can be incredibly well produced a lot of the time (Alien? Best production I've ever heard).

2) Being a good producer does not make him a good musician.

Bassbait wrote:

His back up band, with GENE HOGLAN (Gene the machine) on drums is just great. His vocal range is unmatched in my opinion. He has a wall of chaotic sound that requires people to really sit down and listen.

3) His back-up band does nothing for me, coming of as bland and boring at best,and his vocal range is exceeding flat to me; nothing about his vocals moves me to feel any strong emotion, and his so-called "wall of chaotic" sound falls flat,
inspiring no fascintation whatsoever.

Bassbait wrote:

is bad music?

4) Yes...that's exactly what I'm saying. "Almost Again" is bad music. I hold the same opinion about "Detox". Neither,
brings anything I find interesting to the table, and instead sounds generic and uninspired."Detox" in particular just
sounds like basic metal wankery.

Bassbait wrote:
They sure have more talent musically than you will probably ever end up achieving, and that's coming from someone who usually doesn't say things like that.

5) Objection: Relevance

It is true that I am no musician. However, I question what that has to do with your point. Apparently you are having trouble supporting your own argument, as you now resort to personal attacks, while at the same time gratifying yourself.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to?   What are you listening to? - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 8:22 am

Yeah... people can have their opinions of what they like without being able to do what they dislike. I can't stand Dragonforce, but those guys have more technical skill than I'll ever have or ever want.

Chelsea Wolfe - Feel Something
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to?   What are you listening to? - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 8:49 am

Loxx O))) wrote:
Yeah... people can have their opinions of what they like without being able to do what they dislike. I can't stand Dragonforce, but those guys have more technical skill than I'll ever have or ever want.
More than any reasonable musician could ever possibly use.
Back to top Go down
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to?   What are you listening to? - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 8:58 am

The Dude wrote:
Loxx O))) wrote:

The only one with talent is the lead guitarist, really. The rest of them use programs to sound faster and better.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to?   What are you listening to? - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 9:03 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Loxx O))) wrote:

The only one with talent is the lead guitarist, really. The rest of them use programs to sound faster and better.
True that. I've seen vids of them live, and it actually is pretty funny. And grossly out of time.
Back to top Go down
CGC002

CGC002

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to?   What are you listening to? - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 9:04 am

Recently got this album, and boy do I love this track.
Back to top Go down
http://collin.co.nr
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to?   What are you listening to? - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 6:39 pm

Chelsea Wolfe - Bounce House Demons
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to?   What are you listening to? - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 2:59 am

Rocky Horror soundtrack on vinyl. feels so good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to?   What are you listening to? - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

What are you listening to?
Page 4 of 31Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17 ... 31  Next