The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Angry Video Game Nerd

Go down 
+11
wildhoney66
Jannaj
Salim
yakityyakblah
Bassbait
A Cockatrice
The Original Greaser Bob
Loxx O)))
guudermann
JustinDP
Cactus_Matt
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

The Angry Video Game Nerd - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Angry Video Game Nerd   The Angry Video Game Nerd - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 9:01 am

i dunno some of them have been good some have been bad. i liked the latest one. and the Lloyd Kaufman one is funny as hell. i think it has more to do with the fact that he's said that now that he'd one over 100 episodes he's having trouble not repeating himself. saying the same jokes over and over i think to him just got tiring. so he's trying different ways to keep the show still good. and the low special fx that he has quit doing really doesn't bother me at all to be honest. they are fun to watch yes this is true, but if it is causing him to release episodes even further and further from when i want them to which is at lest once a month. than i can live without them. plus they no doubt can be pretty time consuming.

i think the same thing can be said about Brad as well when it comes to the snob. he loves to play him there is no question about that. but instead of repeating himself he does different things such as the i spit on your grave episodes for example. where it's out of character and in character and it i think keeps him interested in the character in doing so. James is think doing that as well. writing the scripts for the nerd is no doubt time consuming, i dunno how long it takes brad to write an episode of the snob but the same can be said there.

but he doesn't have kids either. James now does. and that's prolly why he is trying ad libbing it maybe? so it is prolly easier for brad to do all these shows than it is for James now. i think it's smart they both do various shows cause you will get tired playing the same character if you don't. that's why you see actors during the hiatus in tv shows do movies cause it's their vacation from this tv series they are on. they may love working on it but they need to take a break from it for at least a little while.

so it makes sense for internet reviewers like Brad or James or spoony to do various characters into their show.
or have different shows. like i said it's smart i think. so i dunno if James is tired of the character. the film i have no doubt he's tired of working on it. i'm sure he just wants to finish the damn thing and than maybe going back to focus on his family 1st. there's no question in that. than his site doing whatever show, and hopefully posting a new Nerd episode once a month. so him experimenting with the show after 100 episodes doesn't bother me.

also one thing i've noticed is that when someone goes a long time without writing it can go a bit stale. James doesn't do the show as often as he used to. and during the making of the film it also maybe that he got out of practice. kinda like if your favorite band last did an album 30 years ago and than they come out with a new album, sometimes the new album is bad cause they stopped writing for 30 years. some of the stuff stephen king wrote after he had his accident for awhle wasn't very good cause he was out of practice. than it slowly got better. and there ya go. this is my few cents anyways. i dunno i may be wrong about all this or i may be right.

take your pick i guess.
Back to top Go down
Skibz

Skibz

PostSubject: Re: The Angry Video Game Nerd   The Angry Video Game Nerd - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 11:17 am

80'sDavid wrote:
Weirdly I actually found the Big Rigs episode to be the funniest thing he's done in a while. It's certainly noticeable that the AVGN is less of a character now and more a slight exaggeration of James actual personality (classic AVGN would have responded to the "You're Winner" screen with actual rage or disbelief rather than what seemed to be sincere laughter) but I feel it's pretty much just down to James maturing as a writer/performer. I mean I think he IS tired of the character and probably jaded by being made to feel like a one trick pony with the nerd (he seems much more motivated when it comes to stuff like Monster Madness) but he seems to have been going through a kind of metamorphosis of late. His last few episodes have been pretty uninspired and lacklustre but I thought this one really distilled elements of old school AVGN and his actual critical personality into something genuinely funny and entertaining.

The problem I had with 'Big Rigs' was that most of the video was gameplay footage and the Nerd's commentary was primarily just pointing out the game's flaws rather than making jokes about it. Sometimes a game's flaws can be funny by itself (e.g. the "Plumbers Don't Wear Ties" review), but 'Big Rigs' is such a well-known bad game that the Nerd didn't add anything new to it.

It'd be like if someone were to review 'The Room' in 2014: they'd need to have a fresh new way of tackling it because it's already been done to death. 'Big Rigs' has been notorious for years and that "You're Winner!" screen is infamous to gamers; simply laughing at it and thus expecting its inherent absurdity to solely provide the humor just didn't work. Compare it to 'Ghostbusters': the "Conglaturation!" screen is equally infamous, yet the Nerd accompanied it with a funny "grading" sketch ("'A great game'? Well, that's just simply wrong, -20 points for that statement.") 'Big Rigs' just didn't have that same kind of effort put into it.

I never thought I'd be so analytical about an 'AVGN' video. O_o

wildhoney66 wrote:
i dunno some of them have been good some have been bad. i liked the latest one. and the Lloyd Kaufman one is funny as hell. i think it has more to do with the fact that he's said that now that he'd one over 100 episodes he's having trouble not repeating himself. saying the same jokes over and over i think to him just got tiring. so he's trying different ways to keep the show still good. and the low special fx that he has quit doing really doesn't bother me at all to be honest. they are fun to watch yes this is true, but if it is causing him to release episodes even further and further from when i want them to which is at lest once a month. than i can live without them. plus they no doubt can be pretty time consuming.

i think the same thing can be said about Brad as well when it comes to the snob. he loves to play him there is no question about that. but instead of repeating himself he does different things such as the i spit on your grave episodes for example. where it's out of character and in character and it i think keeps him interested in the character in doing so. James is think doing that as well. writing the scripts for the nerd is no doubt time consuming, i dunno how long it takes brad to write an episode of the snob but the same can be said there.

but he doesn't have kids either. James now does. and that's prolly why he is trying ad libbing it maybe? so it is prolly easier for brad to do all these shows than it is for James now. i think it's smart they both do various shows cause you will get tired playing the same character if you don't. that's why you see actors during the hiatus in tv shows do movies cause it's their vacation from this tv series they are on. they may love working on it but they need to take a break from it for at least a little while.

so it makes sense for internet reviewers like Brad or James or spoony to do various characters into their show.
or have different shows. like i said it's smart i think. so i dunno if James is tired of the character. the film i have no doubt he's tired of working on it. i'm sure he just wants to finish the damn thing and than maybe going back to focus on his family 1st. there's no question in that. than his site doing whatever show, and hopefully posting a new Nerd episode once a month. so him experimenting with the show after 100 episodes doesn't bother me.

also one thing i've noticed is that when someone goes a long time without writing it can go a bit stale. James doesn't do the show as often as he used to. and during the making of the film it also maybe that he got out of practice. kinda like if your favorite band last did an album 30 years ago and than they come out with a new album, sometimes the new album is bad cause they stopped writing for 30 years. some of the stuff stephen king wrote after he had his accident for awhle wasn't very good cause he was out of practice. than it slowly got better. and there ya go. this is my few cents anyways. i dunno i may be wrong about all this or i may be right.

take your pick i guess.

It really depends on the reviewer...there are so many factors that no one can definitively judge how one can produce content over an extended period of time.

Honestly, though I do enjoy his videos, I've never thought James Rolfe to be that strong of a comedy writer. His humor is usually pretty juvenile (in ways both good and bad), his comedy sketches usually have a pretty shaky structure and/or weak endings, and even when it comes to AVGN, I remember "moments" (i.e. effects shots, fight scenes, characters, etc.) more than I do specific jokes, one-liners or dialogue. Most of what he's best remembered for in the latter are his long scatological rants ("I'd rather ___ a ___ while a ___ takes a ___ on my ___!", etc.), and there's really only so far that can go because vulgarity isn't inherently funny.

A lot of James' videos have a very frank and straightforward tone. Take 'Monster Madness', for example: those aren't comedy reviews, they're legitimate movie reviews. He seems to be more within his comfort zone when he's being properly critical rather than trying to be funny. Make of that what you will, because I can't really draw any conclusions from it. I can only speculate, and my main speculation is that he hopes the AVGN movie will serve as a springboard to other projects, and then he'd have to inevitably retire the Nerd. He's already in his mid-30s and has a family; I don't see how he can sustain something like AVGN for much longer, and until his movie is completed, he seems to be mostly producing AVGN videos out of fan and contractual obligation. I don't think anyone can claim it's his main passion anymore.

Brad, on the other hand, is an excellent comedy writer who excels in verbal humor. Even in vlogs, humor comes natural to him, right off the cuff. In my opinion, he's never gotten stale, and he's done the same thing in evolving from an overt, detached character into incorporating more of his own personality and opinions in the Snob reviews. He just has a completely different creative mind and method...after all, keep in mind that Brad also wrote and produced his own movie based on his internet character (albeit on a much smaller scale, and note that Brad doesn't have the same Hollywood ambitions as James) with barely any change.

With James, I can only see a character when he does AVGN videos now, and always get the sense that he wants to move onto other, bigger projects...some day soon, he'll undoubtedly retire AVGN. Conversely, I see so much of Brad in his Snob videos and it's clear he puts lots of effort into the content of his site: he's quite content with where he is and will likely keep the site going as long as possible. They're just two completely different people in the same field.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theskibz
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: The Angry Video Game Nerd   The Angry Video Game Nerd - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 1:12 pm

i agree his jokes can be juvenille. sorry about my shitty spelling. i just got done watching all 119 episodes and i hadn't watched his videos like that in a long ass time. and the big rigs one wasn't one of his best. but his last one i think was a better one. i loved the one he did in november where he covered the games that are about him.

now that the film is done being made, and i've seen it too now. other than getting it put on dvd/blu-ray i wonder if he'll go back doing the nerd? last year he did i think it was 5 episodes and that was while he was working on the film. this year he's only done 2 so far. my guess he'll do one for halloween that's my guess and one for x-mas.

so that's 4 episodes which is even less this year. one does wonder if his heart is in it anymore? in the film i will admit he was quite good in it at least i thought so, better than i thought he'd be. so his heart i think was in the film. as for the show itself i dunno it's hard to tell. i think if you still do the same stuff as i've said already you will no doubt get tired of it. so him ad libbing some of the episodes i think can work. but you will no doubt have weak episodes as well. the difference i think between him & brad is Brad creates these characters and he writes for i dunno how many different shows. they are his ideas and they are each different from the snob. while James seems to create shows that don't require him to script at all cept for the nerd. if you want to keep your writing good and get better you can't do the same shit over & over. you have to do different things as well.

and most of the shows he puts on his site aren't scripted as far as i'm aware. and that no doubt won't help you at all if you want to keep doing a show that you love doing and people love watching. that also keeps you no doubt sane as well. i get that he was burnt out and thats' why he cut back on his shows but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it also made him run out of ideas to a certain extent as well.

and now he makes them even less and if you don't do writing for a long period of time i think it can get stale.
the same goes for bands as well when they don't do any writing for a long time and than they put an album out. you have to hope that their writing is still good. to use an an example the band the b-52's a favorite of mine last album 'funplex' it has some good songs but it's easily their weakest album cause they hadn't really done any real writing for nearly 20 years. that was their 1st album in 16 years! and it i think hurt the album because of that. well sorry about my rant. that's just my 10 cents i guess you could say.
Back to top Go down
perkele

perkele

PostSubject: Re: The Angry Video Game Nerd   The Angry Video Game Nerd - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 7:41 pm

I totally get if he wants to retire being the nerd. From what I've gathered in his vlogs, making AVGN was never his main goal, and after 10 years he probably wants to move to other things. Although the success of the nerd character has now allowed him to make a feature length film with a "real" budget and a theatrical release, I think, and he probably thinks too, that at this point there's not much else you can do with that character anymore. But at the same time most people will only recognize him as the AVGN, and that's gonna be a tough burden to get off his shoulders.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: The Angry Video Game Nerd   The Angry Video Game Nerd - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 2:19 am

don't forget that the fans are the ones who donated money to make the film. he didn't put a fucking cent in it.
i do get if he wants to retire the nerd character but at the same time after doing the film for so long and as far as i know the only thing that's left is putting it on dvd/blu-ray wouldn't it be a slap to the face if he did retire it?

after making fans pay for the film? now don't get me wrong i wouldnl't be surprised if he did retire the charater at some point. Brad no doubt will retire the snob character at some point too. i hope it's not for a long ass time though. but he also has other shows that people love not just the snob character. so i don't think he'd get hurt because of that. anyways as for James Rolfe, i get that it takes a long ass time to make a film and well finish it

as we had to wait forever for him to finish the film. no doubt he did prolly get tired with the film as well. but he also said though he's got idea's for another film. he doesn't plan on starting work on another one for awhile.

that i can understand as well. cause the film took at least nearly 2 years to make and finish. that's a long time to make a film.
Back to top Go down
Skibz

Skibz

PostSubject: Re: The Angry Video Game Nerd   The Angry Video Game Nerd - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 9:58 am

wildhoney66 wrote:
don't forget that the fans are the ones who donated money to make the film. he didn't put a fucking cent in it.
i do get if he wants to retire the nerd character but at the same time after doing the film for so long and as far as i know the only thing that's left is putting it on dvd/blu-ray wouldn't it be a slap to the face if he did retire it?

How? What more do you want from him? To keep producing AVGN videos until he's 50? A movie as esoteric as his could only have been aided through fan donations, same as how donations and merch sales helped That Guy With the Glasses produce their own movies. If anything, a feature-length film is a perfect send-off for a character he's been independently creating content for almost a decade. Fans donated specifically to the movie, and now they finally have the movie...what more can he offer? I 100% agree with perkele's comments.

wildhoney66 wrote:
and now he makes them even less and if you don't do writing for a long period of time i think it can get stale.
the same goes for bands as well when they don't do any writing for a long time and than they put an album out. you have to hope that their writing is still good. to use an an example the band the b-52's a favorite of mine last album 'funplex' it has some good songs but it's easily their weakest album cause they hadn't really done any real writing for nearly 20 years. that was their 1st album in 16 years! and it i think hurt the album because of that. well sorry about my rant. that's just my 10 cents i guess you could say.

I agree to an extent, but it depends on the artist. People write and create in different ways. I'm one who believes that you're more likely to produce weaker material when you keep forcing yourself to produce material over an extended period of time, rather than if you take a long break between releases. To use The B-52's as an example again, I think 'Funplex' is a much stronger and more consistent album than 'Good Things'. Same with Devo's 'Something for Everybody' over 'Smooth Noodle Maps' which came 20 years prior. Or the work of pretty much any band from the '70s or '80s, back when you had to consistently put out material to remain in the limelight...when you keep writing material solely out of contractual obligation, you're inevitably going to start exhausting your ideas. In most bands' cases, they keep trying to repeat the formula that initially made them successful, but they only end up making a paler imitation. I feel current AVGN is very much the same way.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theskibz
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: The Angry Video Game Nerd   The Angry Video Game Nerd - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 7:02 am

to use as an example where a band didn't do that and did have to put product out rather quickly in the 60's the beach boys where if you listen to each album in that decade hell heading into the early 70's! each album got better i think. when Brian Wilson was at the helm each album was vastly different and touched upon different things. when he grew tired of singing about surfing he changed it to cars, than it was girls than it was relationships. and pet Sounds is in my opinion the best album ever made with Sgt. Pepper being No. 2 hell that album influenced the beatles to write Sgt. Pepper and to top it and they did come close. though Pepper was a bigger hit & Pet Sounds only hit NO. 10. anyways even when he wasn't at the helm they still were putting great albums out. as for the Nerd and my apologizes for going off topic a bit. they are my favorite band of all time so i can do that sometimes.

anyways with the Nerd, if you watch his last video he did put in the video that he was going to retire not having made any kind of influence to people. than he played that i forget what it was called the fixed edition of Castlevania 2 that someone had made. and at the end he says he's not retiring. so who knows if he will or not. and no i don't expect him to still be doing it at age 50. and the album for the b-52's was called Good Stuff which i love. anyways no i don't want the nerd character to retire but i know he will at some point. i do think that if he wanted to retire he should just do one final long video and before that announce it. i really doubt he'd close the site down though as that is his income.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Angry Video Game Nerd   The Angry Video Game Nerd - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Angry Video Game Nerd
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2