The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

My Horror Film Watch-a-thon

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

My Horror Film Watch-a-thon Empty
PostSubject: My Horror Film Watch-a-thon   My Horror Film Watch-a-thon EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 1:45 am

Every summer I have a tradition of watching a movie a day, which for someone my age is pretty special and awesome. This year, though, I want to focus on horror and exploitation movies - both of which I don't know too much about. And since I don't know much about them, I need the help of people who do. How about you guys?

Give me a lot of suggestions for movies to watch - and I mean a lot - that fit under the category of horror or exploitation. Suggest whatever you think is the most entertaining or well-made, even movies which are very well-known (I've seen embarrasingly few horror movies). Maybe when I watch them, I'll write a blurb about each one, describing what I thought. I'll start in a few weeks, when my break officially starts.

What suggestions do you guys have?
Back to top Go down
Mondo a Go-Go

Mondo a Go-Go

PostSubject: Re: My Horror Film Watch-a-thon   My Horror Film Watch-a-thon EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 4:35 am

I'm doing the same thing! I'm going with the Video Nasties myself; it's a good cross-section of exploitation subgenres, but I'm not looking forward to the cannibal films that much.
Back to top Go down
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: My Horror Film Watch-a-thon   My Horror Film Watch-a-thon EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 5:01 am

Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
I'm doing the same thing! I'm going with the Video Nasties myself; it's a good cross-section of exploitation subgenres, but I'm not looking forward to the cannibal films that much.

Oh really? That sounds pretty awesome. I'm looking forward to watching Cannibal Holocaust, but I should check out more of the other Nasties, especially the more infamous ones.
If you have any suggestions about which ones I should watch, I'd love to hear them.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: My Horror Film Watch-a-thon   My Horror Film Watch-a-thon EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 8:45 am

Well, you've got your basics like A Nightmare on Elm Street, Hellraiser and your what have you's. I probably don't need to list them all, because chances are you're already aware of them.

Then you've got:
  • Audition

• Alien

• Anguish

• Dead Alive

• The Beyond

• From Dusk Till Dawn

• Murder Party

• Phantasm

• Race With the Devil

• The 'burbs
    (Okay, so this really isn't a horror movie at all, but you should watch it regardless)

• The Abominable Dr. Phibes

• The Changeling

• The Frighteners

• The Mist

• The Mothman Prophesies

• The Raven

• Them!

• Videodrome
    (Eh...not really a horror film in the strictest sense, but has definite horror elements, and is a worthy watch anyways)

• Wild Zero

The following are some movies that I haven't gotten to see yet, but come highly recommended by various figures in the horror community.

• The Coffin Joe Trilogy

• I Saw the Devil

• Kill Them All and Come Back Alone

• Love from Mother Only

• Angel Heart

• Aswang

• The Entitiy

• Man Bites Dog

• The Ordeal

• Cut Throats Nine
Back to top Go down
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: My Horror Film Watch-a-thon   My Horror Film Watch-a-thon EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 9:22 am

The Dude wrote:
Well, you've got your basics like A Nightmare on Elm Street, Hellraiser and your what have you's. I probably don't need to list them all, because chances are you're already aware of them.

Then you've got:
(list)

Thanks for those suggestions. The only one of those I've seen is Alien, but I've been meaning to rewatch it anyways.
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: My Horror Film Watch-a-thon   My Horror Film Watch-a-thon EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 10:29 am

Also add in Creepshow and Creepshow 2.
Back to top Go down
relauby

relauby

PostSubject: Re: My Horror Film Watch-a-thon   My Horror Film Watch-a-thon EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 6:34 am

The Dude wrote:
Man Bites Dog

Really? Man Bites Dog is considered to be essential horror movie viewing? I just found it really boring.
Back to top Go down
Mondo a Go-Go

Mondo a Go-Go

PostSubject: Re: My Horror Film Watch-a-thon   My Horror Film Watch-a-thon EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 3:50 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:

Oh really? That sounds pretty awesome. I'm looking forward to watching Cannibal Holocaust, but I should check out more of the other Nasties, especially the more infamous ones.
If you have any suggestions about which ones I should watch, I'd love to hear them.
I'm starting tonight, so I'll let you know as I progress. But I've seen The Beyond, The Evil Dead, The House by the Cemetery, Tenebrae, Inferno, and Zombi 2 before, and I'd recommended them all. Check out some of Dario Argento's films; Suspiria is beautiful, as are Inferno and Deep Red.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: My Horror Film Watch-a-thon   My Horror Film Watch-a-thon EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 1:03 pm

Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:

I'm starting tonight, so I'll let you know as I progress. But I've seen The Beyond, The Evil Dead, The House by the Cemetery, Tenebrae, Inferno, and Zombi 2 before, and I'd recommended them all. Check out some of Dario Argento's films; Suspiria is beautiful, as are Inferno and Deep Red.
Just by-the-by, if your plan is to watch all 72 video nasties, you better be prepared for some very boring sits.
Back to top Go down
Mondo a Go-Go

Mondo a Go-Go

PostSubject: Re: My Horror Film Watch-a-thon   My Horror Film Watch-a-thon EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 8:23 pm

The Dude wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:

Just by-the-by, if your plan is to watch all 72 video nasties, you better be prepared for some very boring sits.
Yeah, I know it going into it. SS Experiment Camp in particular sounds awful, but at least I'll be able to say I've seen it.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: My Horror Film Watch-a-thon   My Horror Film Watch-a-thon EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 8:37 am

Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:

Yeah, I know it going into it. SS Experiment Camp in particular sounds awful, but at least I'll be able to say I've seen it.
Yeah, it's something I'd also like to try, just to be able to say I've done it.
Back to top Go down
Mondo a Go-Go

Mondo a Go-Go

PostSubject: Re: My Horror Film Watch-a-thon   My Horror Film Watch-a-thon EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 1:13 am

The Dude wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:

I have hope; a lot of people have trashed Joe D'Amato's Absurd (Brad reviewed it as Zombi 6: Monster Hunter), but I liked it. The middle ripped off Halloween, but I thought the beginning and end did enough interesting things to make it feel pretty different.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: My Horror Film Watch-a-thon   My Horror Film Watch-a-thon EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 7:48 am

Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:

I have hope; a lot of people have trashed Joe D'Amato's Absurd (Brad reviewed it as Zombi 6: Monster Hunter), but I liked it. The middle ripped off Halloween, but I thought the beginning and end did enough interesting things to make it feel pretty different.
Still arguably the worst movie in the Zombie series, however, what with there being no zombies and all.
Back to top Go down
Mondo a Go-Go

Mondo a Go-Go

PostSubject: Re: My Horror Film Watch-a-thon   My Horror Film Watch-a-thon EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 1:01 am

The Dude wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:

Still arguably the worst movie in the Zombie series, however, what with there being no zombies and all.
Well, it was never intended to be a Zombi movie, so you can't fault it for that.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: My Horror Film Watch-a-thon   My Horror Film Watch-a-thon EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 7:52 am

Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:

Well, it was never intended to be a Zombi movie, so you can't fault it for that.
I guess, though aside from the Fulci/Mattei version of Zombi 3, I don't think any of them were really intended to be Zombi movies, not legitimate ones, anyways. Though again, bringing up the point of legitimacy where Zombi is concerned really doesn't mean a damn thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Horror Film Watch-a-thon   My Horror Film Watch-a-thon Empty

Back to top Go down

My Horror Film Watch-a-thon
Page 1 of 1