The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Bob_Bobbson

Bob_Bobbson

Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review) Empty
PostSubject: Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review)   Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review) EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 1:38 am

I'm sure this sounds really weird, but I just got this in the mail from Amazon a couple days ago. Yes, Ciro Ippolito's italian unauthorized sequel to Alien is on Blu-ray in North America.

Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review) 5594517144_d06e944ac8_mAlien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review) 5593939151_95d0dc3e09_mAlien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review) 5593933731_d3abe5e6f2_m

Really, it is strange to see a movie like this out on Blu-ray, but it's even weirder to think this movie beat films widely regarded by the mainstream as classics, such as Citizen Kane and Ben Hur, to the format.

Alien 2 is the first release by newcomer home video studio, Midnight Legacy. They say they will specialize in films just like this, various films in the horror and exploitation genres that are long forgotten by many, but do have a cult following. Each release will be numbered (Sort of like a Criterion Collection for Cult films, i guess) and they will all be limited to 30,000 copies each.

The disc is extremely impressive. The video quality of the transfer is frankly, much better than Alien 2 deserves. The film has a clarity and fine detail to it (while retaining the graininess of the film stock) that you would expect more from films shot this year, than a 30 year old film that was not well taken care of. The sound is also very good, with an English DTS-MA stereo soundtrack. The only extras on the disc are several minutes of gore effects test footage (without sound) and a trailer that came from some dutch VHS release (in English, but with non-removable dutch subtitles.)

All in all, this is an amazing first release for Midnight Legacy, and I am eagerly awaiting their next one. I am also happy that after seeing this, Anchor Bay's I Spit On Your Grave Blu-Ray, and various releases by Blue Underground and Synapse, that there are companies out there finally giving these genre and cult films the attention and treatment they deserve.

Last edited by Bob_Bobbson on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:12 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Fixing some grammar.)
Back to top Go down
http://bobbobbson.blogspot.com
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review)   Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review) EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 1:54 am

I'm not surprised that a low-budget movie like this got a blu-ray release. It seems that lots of forgotten films get them, even some non-cult movies. But it's surprising that this is getting a high-budget, high-quality transfer into the medium. Even if the movie's not that good, I have to commend Midnight Legacy for doing this sort of thing to hard-to-find cult films. For once, cult fanbases are getting some attention.

Nice review.
Back to top Go down
relauby

relauby

PostSubject: Re: Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review)   Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review) EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 2:24 am

Thanks for posting this. I've seen just about none of these particular types of movies and it's nice to have a way for some titles to be highlighted and I can follow the path from there and maybe break into this stuff a little bit. I'll be sure to follow Midnight Legacy closely. Also, if anyone's wondering, they do also do DVD releases of all their stuff, not just Blu-Ray.
Back to top Go down
Bob_Bobbson

Bob_Bobbson

PostSubject: Re: Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review)   Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review) EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 2:49 am

Relauby wrote:
Thanks for posting this. I've seen just about none of these particular types of movies and it's nice to have a way for some titles to be highlighted and I can follow the path from there and maybe break into this stuff a little bit. I'll be sure to follow Midnight Legacy closely. Also, if anyone's wondering, they do also do DVD releases of all their stuff, not just Blu-Ray.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. It seems like all their promo materials focus on the Blu-Ray so much that I forgot about the DVD. I'll post threads like this whenever I get a DVD or Blu-Ray of movies like this. I know there is demand for them, but they don't seem to be to highly publicized for some reason.

If you want other ones to follow though,

Blue Underground Puts out some amazing product on DVD and Blu-Ray. Their big releases coming up is Argento's Deep Red, Inferno, and Cat o' Nine Tails.

Synapse Films Releases some great things too. They have the license to some of the Hammer films. They just released Hammer's Vampire Circus on Blu and DVD

And last but not least, Severin Films who released Birdemic Laughing But they have released some good stuff too, like the original Inglorious Bastards with Fred Williamson.

Also, if you are in the UK or have the ability to play region free DVDs or Blu-rays, Arrow Video is awesome.
Back to top Go down
relauby

relauby

PostSubject: Re: Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review)   Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review) EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 3:03 am

Bob_Bobbson wrote:
Relauby wrote:

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. It seems like all their promo materials focus on the Blu-Ray so much that I forgot about the DVD. I'll post threads like this whenever I get a DVD or Blu-Ray of movies like this. I know there is demand for them, but they don't seem to be to highly publicized for some reason.

If you want other ones to follow though,

Blue Underground Puts out some amazing product on DVD and Blu-Ray. Their big releases coming up is Argento's Deep Red, Inferno, and Cat o' Nine Tails.

Synapse Films Releases some great things too. They have the license to some of the Hammer films. They just released Hammer's Vampire Circus on Blu and DVD

And last but not least, Severin Films who released Birdemic Laughing But they have released some good stuff too, like the original Inglorious Bastards with Fred Williamson.

Also, if you are in the UK or have the ability to play region free DVDs or Blu-rays, Arrow Video is awesome.

Thanks for the help man. I've actually checked out Severin before after hearing about Birdemic, but that was a long time ago and I forgot to go back and check it out after watching Birdemic.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review)   Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review) EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
I have to commend Midnight Legacy for doing this sort of thing to hard-to-find cult films. For once, cult fanbases are getting some attention.
It would be nice if Midnight Legacy would release anything besides Alien 2, though.
http://www.midnight-legacy.com/library.html

it's weird too, because I went on their site before it was revamped and it had an entire catalog of titles, so i don't know what happened.
Back to top Go down
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review)   Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review) EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 3:13 am

Well, I can assume that they'll eventually release more movies of the same type.

Also, I could imagine a market for these types of movies in laserdisc, HD DVD, betamax, etc. It would be cool if they released those mediums.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review)   Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review) EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 3:16 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
Well, I can assume that they'll eventually release more movies of the same type.

Also, I could imagine a market for these types of movies in laserdisc, HD DVD, betamax, etc. It would be cool if they released those mediums.
I'm not so sure about HD-DVD...

I don't know about Midnight Video, though. It seems like it's almost been a year since the release of Alien 2 was announced, and they have yet to make any new announcements since then.
Back to top Go down
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review)   Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review) EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 3:18 am

I guess HD DVD isn't the same as the others, seeing how it's basically a different brand of blu-ray.

Who knows, hopefully Midnight Legacy will announce more stuff soon. We'll have to wait and see...
Back to top Go down
Bob_Bobbson

Bob_Bobbson

PostSubject: Re: Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review)   Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review) EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 3:20 am

The Dude wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:

I'm not so sure about HD-DVD...

I don't know about Midnight Video, though. It seems like it's almost been a year since the release of Alien 2 was announced, and they have yet to make any new announcements since then.

I almost get the feeling that they were waiting to see how Alien 2 sold before announcing anything else. Either that or they have some licenses they are working on that haven't been finalized yet.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review)   Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review) EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 3:20 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
I guess HD DVD isn't the same as the others, seeing how it's basically a different brand of blu-ray.

Who knows, hopefully Midnight Legacy will announce more stuff soon. We'll have to wait and see...
It would be nice if they eventually rose to the status and output of companies like Grindhouse Releasing, Rolling Thunder Productions and Shriekshow. It's nice to see the cult fans get some service.
Back to top Go down
Vendaval FJ

Vendaval FJ

PostSubject: Re: Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review)   Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review) EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 3:52 pm

The Dude wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:
I have to commend Midnight Legacy for doing this sort of thing to hard-to-find cult films. For once, cult fanbases are getting some attention.
It would be nice if Midnight Legacy would release anything besides Alien 2, though.
http://www.midnight-legacy.com/library.html

it's weird too, because I went on their site before it was revamped and it had an entire catalog of titles, so i don't know what happened.

They used to be a VHS site, that sold tapes for VERY high prices. I'd say finding titles like this in pristine condition is a very hard task. From what I know, they are working on getting something else released, but seeing as how they're going for the especially obscure stuff with strict guidelines, I imagine it's difficult to be speedy.
Back to top Go down
http://forgottenjunk.webs.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review)   Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review) Empty

Back to top Go down

Alien 2: On Earth...on Blu-Ray?? (Sort of a review)
Page 1 of 1