The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Godzilla! ゴジラ!

Go down 
+5
PCDOS
tonythe chosen
The Original Greaser Bob
Frank Rizzo
OrlandoEastwood
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
OrlandoEastwood

OrlandoEastwood

Godzilla! ゴジラ! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Godzilla! ゴジラ!   Godzilla! ゴジラ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 2:53 am

Entertainer13 wrote:
I none the less don't find the US cut of Biolante that bad. Gojira on the other hand... dear god, just subtitle and market it was all we ever needed. *hugs his copy*

Godzilla Vs Biollante wasn't edited. Miramax released it as is with the Toho International Dub. I like that HBO and Miramax released the Godzilla Vs Biollante in Widescreen in it's OAR of 1.85:1. I first saw it in 1994 when my grandmother took me into Blockbuster and they had all of the other Godzilla films that I had all ready owned that was released by Star Makers and New World Video and then they had that and I was so excited to see it since it was new to me at the time.

I have several releases of Gojira/Godzilla, King of the Monsters. I have the Simitar VHS of Godzilla, KOTM and a bootleg VHS of Gojira I had purchased off of eBay in 2003. DVD wise, I have the Simitar DVD of Godzilla, KOTM and I used to own the Classic Media 2002 release until my little brother broke the disc. I have the 2006 Classic Media DVD of both Gojira and Godzilla, KOTM. And then I own the Blu-ray by Classic Media of Gojira.

As much as I love the Classic Media Blu-ray, the main thing I hate the most about that damn Blu-ray is the fact that the Godzilla, King of the Monsters isn't present on the disc. The only reason why they didn't put the movie on this disc is because there wasn't an HD master of the film and the only copy that Toho has of the film is a VHS copy in their archives. Classic Media had a collector who owned an actual 16mm print of the film, but chose to not use it. They used the end credits from his copy that had the credits with whole funky looking background.

That was laziness on Classic Media's behalf. Godzilla, KOTM is pretty much a completely different film on it's own and it should be preserved. They should have gone back to that collector and use his copy. Hell, if they couldn't do that, they could have taken their HD Master for the Japanese film and then take the Raymond Burr footage from KOTM and upscale that to HD and make a somewhat decent HD transfer of Godzilla, King of the Monsters. The Raymond Burr footage only consists of 20 minutes. 20 minutes out of 80 minutes upscaled to HD isn't that bad.
Back to top Go down
http://www.orlandoeastwoodfilms.tk
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla! ゴジラ!   Godzilla! ゴジラ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 9:08 am

OrlandoEastwood wrote:
The Dude wrote:
OrlandoEastwood wrote:
I know that bootleggers made a killing back in the day with Godzilla movies. They probably still do now since some of the Japanese versions still aren't out here yet in the U.S. Here in the U.S, the only Godzilla films to get a legit releases are Godzilla Vs Megalon, Godzilla 1985, and Godzilla Vs Biollante.
Actually, the original cut of Gojira has since seen a legitimate US DVD release.

I know, I had a typo. The only ones that did not get legit releases are those three films.
Okay, that makes more sense. Still, I could swear when I was a kid Godzilla vs. Biollante was one of the Godzilla flicks I rented from Blockbuster, and the tape seemed legit enough. In any case, I wasn't terribly hard to find.
Back to top Go down
OrlandoEastwood

OrlandoEastwood

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla! ゴジラ!   Godzilla! ゴジラ! - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 10:28 am

The Dude wrote:
Okay, that makes more sense. Still, I could swear when I was a kid Godzilla vs. Biollante was one of the Godzilla flicks I rented from Blockbuster, and the tape seemed legit enough. In any case, I wasn't terribly hard to find.

The Dude, what I am talking about is with DVD releases. Godzilla Vs Biollante did have a VHS release by the U.S. co-distributor HBO video in association with Miramax. That VHS was the only home entertainment release that the film did get released here in the United States. The only Godzilla films to NOT get a legit DVD releases here in the United States are Godzilla Vs Megalon, Godzilla 1985, and Godzilla Vs Biollante.

With Godzilla Vs Megalon, Goodtimes Home Entertainment owned the rights and they've been broke as hell and gone through Chapter 11 and have been trying to get back on their feet.

With Godzilla 1985, the rights are jumbled. Television rights are owned by Warner Bros. Home Videos rights are with Lakeshore Entertainment who have had it for a long time. A DVD release was planned at one point but was stalled because they wanted the Japanese version on the disc but couldn't negotiate the rights with Toho. They could only release the copy they own the rights too, the US Version with Raymond Burr edited into the film.

With Godzilla Vs Biollante, Miramax owns the rights.

Edit:

Here's some still shots from Godzilla Vs Biollante. Sourced from the EVS Home Entertainment DVD release from Thailand.

A creepy still shot taken from the Behind the Scenes shows that there's a mechanical Godzilla.

Godzilla! ゴジラ! - Page 2 Biollante01

The rest of the screencaps are in the spoilers.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
http://www.orlandoeastwoodfilms.tk
Second Hand Store

Second Hand Store

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla! ゴジラ!   Godzilla! ゴジラ! - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 5:37 am

Big fan as well. The only two movies I remember crying at as a child was the second Hulk movie from the 70's where he falls off the helicopter and dies, and Godzilla vs Gigan, after King Ghidora and Gigan beat the shit out of Godzilla and bury him. I thought Godzilla was dead and I sobbed. Bambi did nothing for me, but those green beasties man...I loved them.

Anyway, I was wondering, I heard something a while back about a new US/Toho production of Godzilla. Is that really happening and does anyone have any up to date information?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Godzilla! ゴジラ!   Godzilla! ゴジラ! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Godzilla! ゴジラ!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2