The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

I just read...

Go down 
+6
Razzly
Tabascofanatikerin
EccentricSnob
Frank Rizzo
Inquisitor
80'sDavid
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Tabascofanatikerin

Tabascofanatikerin

I just read... Empty
PostSubject: I just read...   I just read... EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 11:34 pm

The title says it. If there's already a thread like that then I'm sorry but I haven't seen one here.

Today I finished reading "Nothing to envy" by Barbara Demick, a very very interesting book including stories about living in North Korea. Parts were shocking, more parts were depressing and hard to believe. It just makes me hope more that the North Korean People will get their freedom someday soon.
Back to top Go down
http://tabascofanatikerin.deviantart.com
80'sDavid

80'sDavid

I just read... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just read...   I just read... EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 2:49 am

That sounds like a really interesting read. North Korea's such a surreal and isolated place that I can't help but find it sort of morbidly intriguing. I can't imagine how restrictive and bizarre it would be to live in somewhere so immersed in totalitarianism. Another interesting book about it is Pyongyang by Guy Delisle which is a graphic novel memoir of his time visiting the country.

I've just finished reading Our Band Could Be Your Life by Michael Azerrad which is a non-fiction book documenting the indie music scene in the USA from the early 80's to the early 90's. It consists of sections outlining the rise of the bands most important to the rise of the independent music scene that evolved from punk into hardcore and eventually grunge. I mainly got it for the sections on The Replacements and Fugazi but ended up learning a lot about how all the other bands featured in the book came about and influenced one another. The DIY attitude of a lot of those bands and their rejection of the corporate and mainstream was quite inspiring but I found several sections made me kind of angry, especially stuff dealing with early Hardcore bands; there's something ridiculously hypocritical about a bunch of guys thinking they're non-conformists but all wearing the same clothes and beating up anyone who doesn't fit in with their perceived cultural ideal.

I've also been reading a book of oriental (mostly Japanese) ghost stories by Lafcadio Hearn which is extremely interesting stuff though I'm only about halfway through so far.

Back to top Go down
http://thepeoplewholooklikebrianlewis.blogspot.co.uk
Tabascofanatikerin

Tabascofanatikerin

I just read... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just read...   I just read... EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 1:09 pm

80'sDavid wrote:
That sounds like a really interesting read. North Korea's such a surreal and isolated place that I can't help but find it sort of morbidly intriguing. I can't imagine how restrictive and bizarre it would be to live in somewhere so immersed in totalitarianism. Another interesting book about it is Pyongyang by Guy Delisle which is a graphic novel memoir of his time visiting the country.
That's true, all of this seems to be too bizarre in our world nowadays. That's why it's important to have stories told by people who used to live there instead of just swallowing everything the country's leaders want us to see.
The comic book "Pyongyang" is something I wanna read someday, too. I only read a few pages out of curiousity but haven't read the entire book so far.
Back to top Go down
Inquisitor

Inquisitor

I just read... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just read...   I just read... EmptySun Oct 19, 2014 9:39 pm

I just finished World War Z.  I'm a bit late to the game, but I caught the movie on netflix some weeks past thought it wasn't that good, watched Brad and Dave's Midnight screenings, heard Dave talk about the book and decided to check it out based on his description.  I thoroughly enjoyed myself reading it, which was surprising to me, I didn't think I would.  To me the horror genre is not one that translates to the written word very well.  Don't get me wrong, it can be effective, but creating a visceral and horrifying atmosphere is something that has to be done interactively to be the most effective.
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

I just read... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just read...   I just read... EmptySun Oct 19, 2014 10:40 pm

The only thing the book and movie had in common was the title, movie is absolutely *nothing* like the book...
Back to top Go down
metateen

metateen

I just read... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just read...   I just read... EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 6:34 pm

To quote GoodBadFlicks about the zombies in World War Z...

"No Blood"
Back to top Go down
EccentricSnob

EccentricSnob

I just read... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just read...   I just read... EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 5:17 am

The Disaster Artist - I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH! Okay for those who don't know it is the book about the production of The Room from Greg Sestero's (aka: Mark, as in Oh hai Mark!) perspective, and also about how he (a fairly normal guy) got involved with acting and becoming Tommy Wiseau's (possibly only) friend. It is told very well and it is a personal hilarious story that is just so amazing. My only problems is that the parts dealing with The Room's production weren't as enjoyable as the more personal parts, but even then those parts were enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory

I just read... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just read...   I just read... EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 7:52 am

EccentricSnob wrote:
The Disaster Artist - I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH! Okay for those who don't know it is the book about the production of The Room from Greg Sestero's (aka: Mark, as in Oh hai Mark!) perspective, and also about how he (a fairly normal guy) got involved with acting and becoming Tommy Wiseau's (possibly only) friend. It is told very well and it is a personal hilarious story that is just so amazing. My only problems is that the parts dealing with The Room's production weren't as enjoyable as the more personal parts, but even then those parts were enjoyable.

Oh, my favorite parts were the production stuff! Maybe because a lot of my friends are into film-making and community theater - I could somewhat relate to it (though none of my friends are as crazy as Tommy lol). It's a great book, definitely essential reading for anyone who's suffered through THE ROOM!

Last books I finished were Night Film - a thriller about a journalist who becomes obsessed with the (apparent) suicide of a cult film director's daughter. I got curious about it b/c it kept getting compared with House Of Leaves which I read a while back - but they're not all that similar. Both books have some unconventional narrative structure (although HOL is much more ambitious), and both books feature a filmmaker and a somewhat unlikeable narrator, but that's about it. NF is a fairly straightforward mystery/thriller; HOL is a very surreal horror story. I liked both books, don't get why they got compared so much though.
Also finished The Light Between Oceans - total chick lit tearjerker and I loved it tongue
Back to top Go down
http://anxietycloset.storenvy.com
Tabascofanatikerin

Tabascofanatikerin

I just read... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just read...   I just read... EmptyTue Dec 02, 2014 8:02 pm

My latest book was "The Lost Diary of Count von Cosel" by Count von Cosel a.ka. Carl Tänzler.
You may know this true story: In 1929 an older German doctor falls in love with a young female patient because he thinks that she was his promised bride and love of his life. She dies of tuberculosis, gets a mausoleum by von Cosel and almost two years later he steals her body and takes her home where she would "live" as his bride and wife for nine years until the discovery.

I find the story very fascinating and I was looking forward to reading his own words about it.
Unfortunately it's not his diary (which would mean that he wrote everything nobody but him should know in a book) but more like memoires which were written for readers and for the public. And I would rather have read more about living with his "wife" than about how he  
furnished his new homes or how he got along with a neighbour. But still, I'm glad I read that.

Other books I finished in the meantime:

Sven Himmen - Wach durch die Traumwelt (Awake through dream world)
A fantasy book written by a friend of mine. It was quite okay.

Stephen Fry - The Fry Chronicles
Another opportunity to fall in love again with Fry Very Happy

Max Goldt - Die Chefin verzichtet (the (female) boss declines)
One of the newest books by Max Goldt, a man who writes intelligent, funny and original columns.

EDIT:
Yesterday I finished Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol". It was the first time I read this book. It's quite nice to read in the evenings before Christmas (and I freaking love Christmas).
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

I just read... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just read...   I just read... EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 7:21 am

last year i read One For The Money' by Janet Evanovich and sorry if i spelled her last name wrong. it was a medicore book but than so is the film. anyways right after that i started the 2nd novel called Two For The Dough

and i got burnt out by it after 146 pages. on friday i picked up the book again after months after leaving it alone and i really enjoyed it. if you wonder why i even picked up the 2nd novel at all is cause i was told the 1st novel was medicore and that the 2nd one was when the series started to get good. and i was told right because i loved the 2nd novel i ended up reading for like 8 or 9 hrs. something i haven't done in i dunno how long to be honest.

and i loved it. reading that long again felt great to be honest. and i ended up finishing the novel. anyways, the book was far far better than the 1st novel. it was not only written better but paced better and things happend at a much faster pace too. i think if the book is given to the right person if they do another film, and maybe recast they can do a much better film than the 1st film. that brad & everyone pretty much hated a couple years back.

anyways, now i'm reading Post Mortem by Patrica Cornwell and this is a book i picked up oh shit it had to be in the early 2000's. and now i'm finally getting around to read it! anyways it's another series of novels. with the Stephanie plum series there's 21 books so far. with the Kay Scarpetta Novels which is the one i'm currently reading there's 23 so far. anyways i started that on saturday on page 30, why page 30? cause i had started reading it a few months back and i got tired have re-reading the first two chapters again.

anyways now i'm on page 180. and it's so far a medicore book but i'm not done with it yet. sometimes in a series the 1st book isn't the greatest. another example in my opinion is Pier's Anthony's Xanth Series. his 1st novel in the series came out in (1977) And it's called A Spell for Chameleon and it won some awards and most people love it. i think it's a weak novel and so is the 2nd novel too. the 3rd one is the one really good one i think.

i'm sure there are others but that's all i can think of for now. i've typed enough at the moment anyways,
sorry for the rambling by the way
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

I just read... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just read...   I just read... EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 7:24 am

iv'e long since finished that one,read "Blood Relatives' a (1975) medicore book by Ed McBain and i read another Ed McBain book as well. (1971)'s. Hail Hail, The Gang's All Here' that one was a good one i think. i'm about to finish
(1997)'s "Three To Get Deadly by Janet Evanovich' i'll have that one done tonight. i'm on the last chapter in fact.
i have no idea what i'm reading next
Back to top Go down
Tabascofanatikerin

Tabascofanatikerin

I just read... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just read...   I just read... EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 12:23 pm

Recently, about half a month ago, I finished George Orwell's "Coming up for Air", again a very good book by Orwell. Like a little trip to the 1900's and late 1930's.

Right now, now and then, I read a book about keeping cats in flats and appartments. Very interesting to read, I hope I will use this knowledge in the future Smile
Back to top Go down
Razzly

Razzly

I just read... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just read...   I just read... EmptySat Jun 13, 2015 5:29 am

The Shia Revival: How Conflicts within Islam Will Shape the Future.

This book is useful in one's studies although I question it's accuracy and objectivity. I myself believe it simply points out the petty bullshit a bunch of big guys sling all over the place in attempts to wield more and more power, Of course, because of the strife and hardship caused by this petty bullshit snowballing, it's gone beyond petty and transcended to a new level and dickery. Fanatacism and the inability to accept accountability. A tale of people who gave up basic rationality and labeled it devilish, than refuse to acknowledge how that brilliant decision is biting them in he ass over and over again.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

I just read... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just read...   I just read... EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 1:37 am

i just got done reading late last nite Patrica Cornwell's (1992) Mystery All that Remains and it was a good book. i have no idea what i'm going to start on next though
Back to top Go down
Toyland Chairman

Toyland Chairman

I just read... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just read...   I just read... EmptyThu Aug 27, 2015 2:52 am

Marvel CIVIL WAR novelization. Course the next CAPTAIN AMERICA film will probably be nothing like it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/
metateen

metateen

I just read... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just read...   I just read... EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 6:24 am

most unlikely, finished reading marvel secret wars...the 1984/85 version. Very interesting though, hate how some characters got de-powered.
Back to top Go down
Toyland Chairman

Toyland Chairman

I just read... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just read...   I just read... EmptySun Jan 24, 2016 1:17 am

MARVEL CIVIL WAR novelization - pretty good

JAWS - It's okay, but not great. The movie is a massive improvement. Too much filler and subplots in the book. And the characters aren't as likable. The ending even feels a little rushed.

PSYCHO - Again the film is better, but still a generally creepy book. The 1998 remake should have considered staying closer to the book. It could have worked.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/
ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory

I just read... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just read...   I just read... EmptySun Sep 18, 2016 12:13 am

THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN - Welp. I really kind of hated it. Not only was the conclusion to this "thriller that shocked the world" insultingly easy to see coming, the characters kind of defy you to invest in them. I know at the beginning Megan's going to die, Anna's a stupid bitch, the male characters exist only to be abuser tropes and Rachel is... just.. so damn passive. I was interested in the movie before now b/c I love Emily Blunt but this does not bode well.

ME BEFORE YOU - Yeah, didn't like this one either. Basically it's PYGMALION but Higgins is a quadroplegic and Eliza never really achieves any agency. The plot involves a semi-interesting Right to Die debate but I just didn't care enough about these characters for it so have any impact.
Back to top Go down
http://anxietycloset.storenvy.com
Sponsored content

I just read... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just read...   I just read... Empty

Back to top Go down

I just read...
Page 1 of 1