The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Favorite Films of 2010

Go down 
+10
Cactus_Matt
Bassbait
Stray13
anothercafejava
Frank Rizzo
A Cockatrice
Mondo a Go-Go
PCDOS
The Original Greaser Bob
Azarias Kale
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Azarias Kale

Azarias Kale

Favorite Films of 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Favorite Films of 2010   Favorite Films of 2010 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 7:09 am

(Due to a mix-up with where this was posted before, let's call mulligan and retry this)

My #1 is probably due to the fact that it made me feel like my childhood wasn't as lost as I thought it was.

My List would have to be:

10.) Black Swan
9.) Inception
8.) The King's Speech
7.) Ondine
6.) The Tempest
5.) Four Lions
4.) Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole
3.) Shutter Island
2.) A Crowd of Three OR 13 Assassins
1.) Toy Story 3

To be fair, I've yet to see True Grit, though I don't think I will since I could never take Jeff Bridges seriously as anything threatening, he's The Dude not Rooster Cogburn. And yes, two foreign films tied for second, because I'm a foreign film nut who has to watch everything flashed in front of him as long as it has Andy Lau (which neither does if I recall) or directed by Takashi Miike (13 Assassins).

Now, I definitely have to bring up that I really thought that The Social Network wasn't a good movie at all.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Films of 2010   Favorite Films of 2010 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 9:41 am

Azarias Kale wrote:

To be fair, I've yet to see True Grit, though I don't think I will since I could never take Jeff Bridges seriously as anything threatening, he's The Dude not Rooster Cogburn.
I thought the same, until I actually saw True Grit. I have too say, Bridges pulls off the part better than Wayne did.
Back to top Go down
Azarias Kale

Azarias Kale

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Films of 2010   Favorite Films of 2010 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 9:44 am

Oh, I'll admit that I got to see it a an hour or so ago and you know what, Jeff Bridges actually pulls it off better than I could even imagine. The film is pretty great and Bridges doesn't come off as Bridges in it, in a good way, if that makes any sense.
Back to top Go down
PCDOS

PCDOS

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Films of 2010   Favorite Films of 2010 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 8:52 am

i havent seen all that many films in 2010

but my favorites would have to be
inception
toy story 3
and paranormal activity 2
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Films of 2010   Favorite Films of 2010 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 4:23 am

Azarias Kale wrote:
Oh, I'll admit that I got to see it a an hour or so ago and you know what, Jeff Bridges actually pulls it off better than I could even imagine. The film is pretty great and Bridges doesn't come off as Bridges in it, in a good way, if that makes any sense.
I feel you; he plays the part in a suitably nasty way, but betrays just enough benevolence to make the character likable.
Back to top Go down
Mondo a Go-Go

Mondo a Go-Go

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Films of 2010   Favorite Films of 2010 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 6:35 am

I didn't see a whole lot of new stuff, but I actually really liked Devil. Except for crazy "El Diablo!" jelly guy, it was a pretty effective horror picture. The photography was great, the acting wasn't bad, and the twist was a surprise. Toy Stroy 3 was nice as well.
Back to top Go down
A Cockatrice

A Cockatrice

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Films of 2010   Favorite Films of 2010 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 1:00 pm

I didn't even see any movies in the theater in 2010. I always get around to them when they're released on video.
Back to top Go down
Azarias Kale

Azarias Kale

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Films of 2010   Favorite Films of 2010 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 12:25 am

The Dude wrote:
Azarias Kale wrote:
I feel you; he plays the part in a suitably nasty way, but betrays just enough benevolence to make the character likable.
Oddly, probably the best critique of how he played it I heard.

I really don't go to the theaters anymore, either. Though there are a few exceptions that make me really go to the movies.

Plus, Devil was better than I thought it was going to be, though the ending was a bit lackluster.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Films of 2010   Favorite Films of 2010 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 8:35 am

Azarias Kale wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Azarias Kale wrote:
Oddly, probably the best critique of how he played it I heard.
I have my moments.
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Films of 2010   Favorite Films of 2010 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 8:47 am

Of all the films I saw, Jonah Hex was my favorite.

*prepares to duck hurled rotton fruit*
Back to top Go down
Azarias Kale

Azarias Kale

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Films of 2010   Favorite Films of 2010 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 8:51 am

Frank Rizzo wrote:
Of all the films I saw, Jonah Hex was my favorite.

*prepares to duck hurled rotton fruit*
Definitely might be due to not liking Jonah Hex to begin with, I thought it was a bit dull.

And Dude, you've certainly have far too many that I've noticed.
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Films of 2010   Favorite Films of 2010 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 8:54 am

far too many what exactly?
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Films of 2010   Favorite Films of 2010 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 8:55 am

Azarias Kale wrote:
Might have something to do with my tendency to over-saturate the forum with posts.
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Films of 2010   Favorite Films of 2010 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 8:56 am

Oh crap, I thought you were talking to me at first, my bad.
Back to top Go down
Azarias Kale

Azarias Kale

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Films of 2010   Favorite Films of 2010 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 9:25 am

The Dude wrote:
Azarias Kale wrote:
Might have something to do with my tendency to over-saturate the forum with posts.
I try to do the same thing.

And Rizzo, no problem. I get quite confusing.
Back to top Go down
anothercafejava

anothercafejava

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Films of 2010   Favorite Films of 2010 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 10:23 am

Azarias Kale wrote:
(Due to a mix-up with where this was posted before, let's call mulligan and retry this)

To be fair, I've yet to see True Grit, though I don't think I will since I could never take Jeff Bridges seriously as anything threatening, he's The Dude not Rooster Cogburn.

The Dude is just part of Jeff Bridges, he surfaces in the character and writing of Rooster in True Grit, the aspect of just not giving a fuck.

My personal favorite of 2010 is 127 Hours.

As for the others, I don't feel like putting in an orderly list
Toy Story 3
Inception
Life During Wartime
The King's Speech
Four Lions

I wanted to love Enter the Void so badly, but that last hour and a half just got so repetitive and tedious to the point where the visuals and style weren't doing anything for me anymore, though the first hour of that flick is amazing!

Same goes for Black Swan in terms of wanting to love it. It was amazing during first viewing, but all of it's flaws started to show during the second viewing. Both movies are still good though.
Back to top Go down
Stray13

Stray13

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Films of 2010   Favorite Films of 2010 EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 12:01 am

Machete. Hands down.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bannedfromthevideostore.com
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Films of 2010   Favorite Films of 2010 EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 12:05 am

Stray13 wrote:
Machete. Hands down.

Loved that movie! Especially Cheech Marin in it.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Films of 2010   Favorite Films of 2010 EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 7:29 am

Stray13 wrote:
Machete. Hands down.
That was probably the most fun I had at a movie this year, Jackass 3-D excluded.
Back to top Go down
Bassbait

Bassbait

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Films of 2010   Favorite Films of 2010 EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 10:49 am

Azarias Kale wrote:

Now, I definitely have to bring up that I really thought that The Social Network wasn't a good movie at all.

The Big Lebowski was the WORST film I've seen him in. No offense, especially to fans of the movie, but is that REALLY the role he should be most well known for? All of the jokes fell flat for me (except the ashes of his dead friend getting on his face. That was funny). Everything about that film screamed "Hey, you like Coen Bros? Well too bad!". It just really bothered me.

I prefer him in the original Tron, but I think he did a really good job in True Grit.

And The Social Network SUCKED. Although I also nominate Inception for other most over-rated movie of the year. It's a dumb action movie that people somehow felt like their minds exploded watching it. I could suggest a million movies from the 60's to the late 90's that took every aspect of Inception and did it earlier, and better. First two movies that come to mind are 2001 and The Matrix.

Woops, I forgot to mention my favorites of 2010. Well, I didn't see a lot. So Toy Story 3 is number one. Like Pixar COULD screw up. But seriously speaking, Toy Story 3 made every other movie look bad. Much better than Inception and The Social Network, but guess which ones are more likely to win best picture...
Back to top Go down
Bassbait

Bassbait

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Films of 2010   Favorite Films of 2010 EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 10:54 am

anothercafejava wrote:

I wanted to love Enter the Void so badly, but that last hour and a half just got so repetitive and tedious to the point where the visuals and style weren't doing anything for me anymore, though the first hour of that flick is amazing!

Same goes for Black Swan in terms of wanting to love it. It was amazing during first viewing, but all of it's flaws started to show during the second viewing. Both movies are still good though.

Sorry if this is a double post, but I need to mention it:

Surreal films need to be left to the pros. All of the modern surrealist films do a decent job, but they always try too hard and fall flat because they write themselves into corners.

David Lynch and Stanley Kubrick, my two favorite directors, are best at it. Eraserhead is classic, and even Lynch's most recent, "Inland Empire" has a much better grip on surrealism than most of today's directors who attempt it.
Back to top Go down
Cactus_Matt

Cactus_Matt

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Films of 2010   Favorite Films of 2010 EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 12:29 pm

Bassbait wrote:
anothercafejava wrote:

Sorry if this is a double post, but I need to mention it:

Surreal films need to be left to the pros. All of the modern surrealist films do a decent job, but they always try too hard and fall flat because they write themselves into corners.

David Lynch and Stanley Kubrick, my two favorite directors, are best at it. Eraserhead is classic, and even Lynch's most recent, "Inland Empire" has a much better grip on surrealism than most of today's directors who attempt it.

Exactly, that's part of the reason why I hate Richard Kelley's films so goddamn much.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Films of 2010   Favorite Films of 2010 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 3:11 am

Bassbait wrote:
Azarias Kale wrote:

The Big Lebowski was the WORST film I've seen him in. No offense, especially to fans of the movie, but is that REALLY the role he should be most well known for? All of the jokes fell flat for me (except the ashes of his dead friend getting on his face. That was funny). Everything about that film screamed "Hey, you like Coen Bros? Well too bad!". It just really bothered me.
Cool story, bro.
Back to top Go down
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Films of 2010   Favorite Films of 2010 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 5:52 am

Bassbait wrote:

Never seen 70's King Kong?
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Films of 2010   Favorite Films of 2010 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 8:16 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
Bassbait wrote:

Never seen 70's King Kong?

Or Little Fockers?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Films of 2010   Favorite Films of 2010 Empty

Back to top Go down

Favorite Films of 2010
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next