The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Site upgrade

Go down 
+2
jaltesorensen
perkele
6 posters
AuthorMessage
perkele

perkele

Site upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Site upgrade   Site upgrade EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 4:48 am

The new site layout is good for the most part, but there are few issues I have with it.

I don't like the way you have to scroll through the old episodes. There's only a handful of them on a single page, whereas in the old version there was always 100 of them on the same page. I guess it's because the episodes are shown with the blip player in the episode menu so it would be impossible to show that many at one time. I don't really need that feature and my browser is already having trouble downloading all of the blip player windows, but maybe it's just me. However, on the front page I WOULD like the ability to instantly watch the video without having to go to its own page.

Does anyone else agree with me?
Back to top Go down
jaltesorensen

jaltesorensen

Site upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site upgrade   Site upgrade EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 5:16 am

I like the new comment system.
I like how it is easier to find the different shows on the front page.

But I do agree that as it is now it is way to hard to find the shows im looking for (and the droids).

Before (the redesign) i did find the videos i wanted by reading a long lists of shows (or by searching for words) - which was great because there was a lot of shows on one page, and it loaded instantly.
Now there are fewer shows on each page, and they load slowly because they have these large pictures (title-cards) on them. But they are more visually pleasing with the title-card and such, and that is better because it gives some information. And I just love looking at them.

But there is an obvious solution to this. And that is instead of having the 10 videos, with full resolution title card, we could have 50 videos with THUMBNAIL-size-title cards. That way we both have pages that load quickly, we have a lot of videos on one page and we have the visual information of the title-card (but in reduced form). The trad-off of course will be that you have to go to another page to view the video. But is that bad? I dont think so.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

Site upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site upgrade   Site upgrade EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 10:44 am

that's not a bad idea. though other than that the site does look good. I wondered when it would get finished.
Back to top Go down
Duebius D

Duebius D

Site upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site upgrade   Site upgrade EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 12:19 am

I think a video list in the style like Spoony used to have, or what the avgn has currently would be awesome (videos linked from a title card splash)

jaltesorensen wrote:

But there is an obvious solution to this. And that is instead of having the 10 videos, with full resolution title card, we could have 50 videos with THUMBNAIL-size-title cards. That way we both have pages that load quickly, we have a lot of videos on one page and we have the visual information of the title-card (but in reduced form). The trad-off of course will be that you have to go to another page to view the video. But is that bad? I dont think so.
Lol, i should pay more attention

Site upgrade Vk6e1xswv
Back to top Go down
ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory

Site upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site upgrade   Site upgrade EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 12:59 am

The fewer videos per page, the more pages you have to click on. I see what's goin' on here.  Wink 

I actually really like the new look of the site though. It's a little sleeker & more "inviting."
Back to top Go down
http://anxietycloset.storenvy.com
jaltesorensen

jaltesorensen

Site upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site upgrade   Site upgrade EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 12:09 am

After having used the new design for some while I only have one complaint.

I find it too hard to find the older videoes. I tried to find the Snob's review of Death Nurse (1 and 2). I love watching the snob reviewing these classics.

But the problem is that I do not remember when it was puplished on the site, so the archive function is useless for me.

And I dont want to go through endless pages of 10-videoes. Those pages take long to load.

I eventually used google to find Death Nurse. And I just think it should be easier to find the older videoes on the site. Unless I there are some function on this website that makes it easy to find older videoes by search or something that I dont know about.
Back to top Go down
80'sDavid

80'sDavid

Site upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site upgrade   Site upgrade EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 12:24 am

jaltesorensen: Why not just use the search feature on the site to find reviews that you specifically want to see? I just put "Death Nurse" into the search bar in the cinema snob banner at the top and the first two results were the Death Nurse and Death Nurse 2 reviews.

I can understand it being annoying if people just want a list of old videos to choose from or can't remember the title of a movie reviewed though.
Back to top Go down
http://thepeoplewholooklikebrianlewis.blogspot.co.uk
jaltesorensen

jaltesorensen

Site upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site upgrade   Site upgrade EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 12:29 am

80'sDavid wrote:
jaltesorensen: Why not just use the search feature on the site to find reviews that you specifically want to see? I just put "Death Nurse" into the search bar in the cinema snob banner at the top and the first two results were the Death Nurse and Death Nurse 2 reviews.

I can understand it being annoying if people just want a list of old videos to choose from or can't remember the title of a movie reviewed though.

I've used this site and upgrade for a while, and only now that you mentioned it did i notice it :-)

It's kinda anonymous. But great.

The only drawback I can think of now are if I want to watch old snob videoes, and I cant remember the title of them. Or I have forgotten about them. In the old site it listed like 50 videoes at a time in text. I used to look through them and suddenly get the urge to want to re-watch and old classic.

But that is one the thing you have to accept with webdesign. You cant get all the features. There will be tradeoffs going from an older design to a new one.
Back to top Go down
80'sDavid

80'sDavid

Site upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site upgrade   Site upgrade EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 12:40 am

I've got to admit, I do kind of miss the days of scanning through a huge list of old Snob episodes just to pick one out at random or find one you'd totally forgotten about but I think it was a sacrifice worth making because all the other aspects of the site are a lot better. Brad has acknowledged the issue but said there's unfortunately nothing they can do about it. The search feature is pretty useful most of the time anyway.
Back to top Go down
http://thepeoplewholooklikebrianlewis.blogspot.co.uk
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

Site upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site upgrade   Site upgrade EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 8:50 am

i do too. and i realize that brad doesn't do radio drome anymore. but you'd think he would have kept the ones he did do on the site as well. oh well
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Site upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site upgrade   Site upgrade Empty

Back to top Go down

Site upgrade
Page 1 of 1