The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Man of steel

Go down 
+5
RandyPan
theGerman
kraufen
Frank Rizzo
perkele
9 posters

So what did YOU think?
Oh it was so awesome, Brad is such a hater
Man of steel I_vote_lcap42%Man of steel I_vote_rcap
 42% [ 5 ]
Didn't feel one way or the other about it, what a forgettable movie
Man of steel I_vote_lcap42%Man of steel I_vote_rcap
 42% [ 5 ]
This movie SUCKED!
Man of steel I_vote_lcap16%Man of steel I_vote_rcap
 16% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

AuthorMessage
perkele

perkele

Man of steel Empty
PostSubject: Man of steel   Man of steel EmptySat Jun 29, 2013 3:18 am

I just came back from seeing Man of Steel. Let me sum up my feelings about it.

At first I was like: meh

Then I was like: meh

Then I was like "Oh c'mon, really?"

Then I was like: "My god, is this still going on?"

Then I was like: "Well finally it's over with...

WHAT THE FUCK, IT'S STILL GOING ON??"

So, yeah. Didn't win me over. Bunch of generic cgi and pointless characters, and those random flashbacks which Brad already pointed out. I think the most embarassing moment was when the generals and the scientist are discussing that terraforming gravity machine or whatever, and the scientist says something like: "My god. They're making the Earth like Crypton. I'm afraid there will be no human race after this." The line delivery was just something out of this world.

Overall just a very lame experience, although I wasn't as mad as Brad was.

Last edited by perkele on Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

Man of steel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man of steel   Man of steel EmptySat Jun 29, 2013 3:55 am

This really is a movie that has my friends evenly divided

half of them are going "OMG, THIS MOVIE FUCKING RULED!"

The other half are going "OMG, THIS MOVIE FUCKING SUCKED!"

There doesn't seem to be a full consensus either way.
Back to top Go down
kraufen

Man of steel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man of steel   Man of steel EmptySat Jun 29, 2013 6:04 am

Most of the people on another forum I browse really hated it, mind you thats maybe like 10 people max so that doesn't count for much.
Back to top Go down
theGerman

theGerman

Man of steel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man of steel   Man of steel EmptySat Jun 29, 2013 5:23 pm

I enjoyed it in the Cinema. Liked the way they showed more of Krypton and the little changes they did to the origin story we already saw a million times in the other movies etc...the tornado-thing was really dumb though.
Wasn't pissed off because of the disregard for human life either, but liked the over the top battle scenes that could be taken from a live action DBZ-Movie...no...not Evolution, not the chinese and also not the korean one. One that has yet to be made.
Altogether it was a good watch at the cinema, but totally forgettable afterwards. And the 3D was really unnecessary.
Back to top Go down
RandyPan

RandyPan

Man of steel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man of steel   Man of steel EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 1:36 pm

I'm not gonna say you're dumb if you don't like this movie, but, honestly,  most of the nitpicks I've heard against it are worthy of this response:

Back to top Go down
ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory

Man of steel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man of steel   Man of steel EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 9:56 pm

I .... haven't actually seen it yet.
Back to top Go down
http://anxietycloset.storenvy.com
Razzly

Razzly

Man of steel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man of steel   Man of steel EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 12:30 am

I don't like superman.
Back to top Go down
perkele

perkele

Man of steel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man of steel   Man of steel EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 12:35 am

RandyPan wrote:
I'm not gonna say you're dumb if you don't like this movie, but, honestly,  most of the nitpicks I've heard against it are worthy of this response:

These are the main reasons I disliked this movie. (You can decide whether they are nitpicks or not.)

1. Nobody is interested in the origin story of superman, we have seen it a hundred times already. Yes, they changed some things, but still.

2. Charachters were pretty two-dimensional and dialoge was so bad I was embarrassed in some parts. Michael Shannon elevated the movie a little with his charisma. Good actors like Laurence Fishburne were wasted in pointless roles.

3. The movie was TOO LONG.

4. There was so much bad cgi that this could as well have been just a cartoon.

5. The tone. Ok, so there's this trend nowdays to make every movie DARK and GRITTY and EDGY. That works with Batman, who's a dark character to begin with, but it doesn't quite work here. Especially when they don't go all the way with it. So the result is this kind of a mess that doesn't quite know whether it wants to be this Avengers-type fun and flashy film or be like The Dark Knight.

6. Random flashbacks placed totally irrationally without any context to present events (Brad pointed these out also). The whole structure of this movie is kind of weird, and not in a good way.

7. Fuck you Hollywood and next summer please make something that is not:

- a remake
- a sequel
- part of a franchise
- adaptation of a previous source material, like a book

Last edited by perkele on Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
perkele

perkele

Man of steel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man of steel   Man of steel EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 12:45 am

I do have one nitpick too. In the early chase scene with Russel Crowe and those dragon-type things, there are these goddamn quick zoom-ins. I hate when they do that in movies nowdays. Just like shaky-cam, "quick out of focus" and other gimmicks to make action scenes look more "realistic" (aka found footage -esque) this thing needs to die too. They do it just to desperately cover the fact that 99% of the scene is cgi. I think I've ranted about this minor detail long enough now.
Back to top Go down
RandyPan

RandyPan

Man of steel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man of steel   Man of steel EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 5:32 am

These are the main reasons I disliked this movie. (You can decide whether they are nitpicks or not.)

1. Nobody is interested in the origin story of superman, we have seen it a hundred times already. Yes, they changed some things, but still.

Yes, but how many times have Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet been redone? Superman's origin can be played with, but those two(with a few exceptions) are always the same plays.

2. Characters were pretty two-dimensional and dialogue was so bad I was embarrassed in some parts. Michael Shannon elevated the movie a little with his charisma. Good actors like Laurence Fishburne were wasted in pointless roles.

This is less a nitpick than "I disagree". I loved Amy Adams as Lois Lane, and I thought Henry Cavill was great. And while I realize this is hardly the case with everyone, a lot of people who shit on Cavill's performance just didn't like him because he wasn't Christopher Reeve.

3. The movie was TOO LONG.

It's a comic book movie. They tend to run long.

4. There was so much bad CGI that this could as well have been just a cartoon.

Eh, didn't think it was that bad.

5. The tone. Okay, so there's this trend nowadays to make every movie DARK and GRITTY and EDGY. That works with Batman, who's a dark character to begin with, but it doesn't quite work here. Especially when they don't go all the way with it. So the result is this kind of a mess that doesn't quite know whether it wants to be this Avengers-type fun and flashy film or be like The Dark Knight.

Again, not really a nitpick. I thought the tone worked fine.

6. Random flashbacks placed totally irrationally without any context to present events (Brad pointed these out also). The whole structure of this movie is kind of weird, and not in a good way.

Would you have preferred the entire first hour be Clark's childhood? I thought they handled it rather well.

Yeah, when I said nitpicks, I meant like the whole "Superman doesn't kill" thing. Guys, Superman killed Zod in the comics, and he killed him in Superman II. And unlike Superman II, here he actually shows remorse.
Back to top Go down
aga

aga

Man of steel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man of steel   Man of steel EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 8:54 am

I thought it was beautiful, but bleh. I saw it for free though.
Back to top Go down
Toyland Chairman

Toyland Chairman

Man of steel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man of steel   Man of steel EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 2:39 am

It's okay. Nice action, and I like Lois. I don't care for the darker Superman they were aiming for.

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

I don't think it was necessary he kill Zod either.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/
Sponsored content

Man of steel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Man of steel   Man of steel Empty

Back to top Go down

Man of steel
Page 1 of 1