Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Movies you loved but you now feel are dated.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Randy Spears

PostSubject: Movies you loved but you now feel are dated.    Thu May 02, 2013 4:10 am

I was listing to Raidodrome were they were discussing the '90s and got me to thinking of movies I used to love then, but might not love today because they just were dated. For me most of them are '90s movies.

I remember I used to love Swingers when it came out. And I still do even though I haven't seen it in years. But looking back I might shake my head at all the Neo-Lounge craze back them. I still can't believe people wanted to bring back swing music or '40 dress style.

Another one off the top of my head of Singles. I haven't seen that in years as well. But I don't know if I would like it if I saw it today. Would the grunge cameos hold up today? I always thought Singles was the opposite side of the 90's romantic coin to Reality Bites. I recently saw "RB" and hated it. The whole, I'm smarter/cooler then everyone else mindset was annoying. I have a feeling Singles would be just like that.

Does anyone else have movies they used to like but not anymore because they're dated?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: Movies you loved but you now feel are dated.    Fri May 03, 2013 12:58 am

I feel the same way about a lot of the Tarantino-knockoffs that came out in the 90s (GO, 2 DAYS IN THE VALLEY, THINGS TO DO IN DENVER WHEN YOU'RE DEAD, NATURAL BORN KILLERS, SUICIDE KINGS, SFW, the list goes on); teenage me bought that stylized pseudonihlistic attitude hook line and sinker but rewatching most of them it's just embarrassing; there were waaaayyyyy too many filmmakers who saw RESERVOIR DOGS and thought, "Hey, I can do that. It's easy!"

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://anxietycloset.storenvy.com
wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Movies you loved but you now feel are dated.    Fri May 03, 2013 10:30 am

Singles i agree is an outdated film but i still love that film. it's so 90's. the same can be said about ferris bueler and

of course Fast Time as well. those are pure 80's yet those are films i just love to death. there have been plenty of films i've watched and loved as a kid and now i think are shit. i can't think of any off the top of my head but there are plenty.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theGerman

PostSubject: Re: Movies you loved but you now feel are dated.    Fri May 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Here it comes...Power Rangers the Movie.
Loved it as a kid. My typical sunday afternoon was watching the movie while playing the awesome Genesis Game.
Just recently got my hand on the movie again and...let's just say it doesn't hold up. The Game is still awesome and Kimberly is still hot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: Movies you loved but you now feel are dated.    Fri May 03, 2013 9:04 pm

CLUELESS - which I actually still love but it is so very very 90s.

I agree about FERRIS BUELLER too; all the John Hughes movies really, I like a lot of them but I don't think they could be made now, or in any decade other than the 80s.

When it comes to movies I loved as a child that have not held up; pretty much any of the live-action Disney movies from the 70s - THE APPLE DUMPLING GANG, THE UGLY DASCHUND, NO DEPOSIT NO RETURN, THE BAREFOOT EXECUTIVE, MILLION DOLLAR DUCK, THE NORTH AVENUE IRREGULARS. I seriously had all these movies memorized. So much greenscreen! Laughing
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Movies you loved but you now feel are dated.    Sat May 04, 2013 5:31 am

yes Clueless was a favorite of mine. even the tv show was decent. at least when it was still on. i haven't seen either in years so i dunno what i'd think of either now. as for Power Rangers

i never liked that show. i tried to watch a few episodes back than but only cause i was bored and nothing else was on. man was that a shitty show. the movie was pretty bad even than too!

anyways one that is Dated and it's a fantastic Movie is 'It's a mad mad mad mad World"! it's been remade a couple times. only ones that tried to copy that i can think of off the top of my head is' million dollar mystyery i believe is the title of it from (1987) with Tom Bosley. from Happy Days and a shit load of other people as well.

there's that one and "Rat Race' as well that (2001) film and that one i actually have never seen. but you might as well say those are remakes cause they are both comedies and they both have a shitload of famous actors in it, who were either at ome point really big or currently at least than famous. as for the originally everything about it is great.

but i can't see that one EVER being remade at least done well anyways. even if it's tried again it's still NOT the same.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Angie Matera

PostSubject: Re: Movies you loved but you now feel are dated.    Sat May 04, 2013 11:22 am

wildhoney66 wrote:
yes Clueless was a favorite of mine. even the tv show was decent. at least when it was still on. i haven't seen either in years so i dunno what i'd think of either now. as for Power Rangers

i never liked that show. i tried to watch a few episodes back than but only cause i was bored and nothing else was on. man was that a shitty show. the movie was pretty bad even than too!

anyways one that is Dated and it's a fantastic Movie is 'It's a mad mad mad mad World"! it's been remade a couple times. only ones that tried to copy that i can think of off the top of my head is' million dollar mystyery i believe is the title of it from (1987) with Tom Bosley. from Happy Days and a shit load of other people as well.

there's that one and "Rat Race' as well that (2001) film and that one i actually have never seen. but you might as well say those are remakes cause they are both comedies and they both have a shitload of famous actors in it, who were either at ome point really big or currently at least than famous. as for the originally everything about it is great.

but i can't see that one EVER being remade at least done well anyways. even if it's tried again it's still NOT the same.

I agree with u on Power rangers. i was never into that show found it to be really stupid even as a kid. Its a mad mad mad mad world is a classic. ive seenrat race as well and didnt like it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/angelina.matera
ColonelStrayn

PostSubject: Re: Movies you loved but you now feel are dated.    Sun May 05, 2013 1:08 am

Some of the old Stephen King TV miniseries. I remember liking Storm of the Century, The Stand, and It scared me half to death as a kid. I think they're just kind of goofy now.

Braveheart and every cheesy, pseudo-historical sword and sandal movie like it, except 300. That one, at least, knew it was based on a graphic novel, not real life, and didn't try to be anything else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Movies you loved but you now feel are dated.    Sun May 05, 2013 2:21 am

Storm of the century is a decent one. it's never been a favorite and that's only because i never liked the ending to it.

The Stand' i fucking LOVE! i can't remember if i was before or after i read the book i think it was after. i've read both
versions actually. and i think the longer cut is far far far better the the original version. anyways, the film i fucking love. i did not expect them to add everything. but even though they did still cut a lot out. i wasn't surprised either.

i was quite suprised on how much i enjoyed it actually. as for IT. i've read that one too. and yes they have cut a LOT out of that one too. i saw the film 1st that time. i remember as a kid funny enough i wasn't allowed to see the film! even though by the time it i had seen plenty of horror movies by than. and yes that film has given me nightmares funny enough. but so has the book as well. it too me 2 years to convince my brother who got it and read it when it was 1st released he was was now that i think about it the same age i was when the tv movie aired in (1990)!

but anyways i still love the film. you prolly are right it is outdated but i don't care i love both the film and the book.

my hope is since they are remaking it into a movie. is they make part 1 a long ass movie say like 155 minutes for example or longer. and they make part 2 about the same. it would be prolly a bit shorter. my guess is but it really depends on how long the 1st film is and how much they did put in that 1st part. i dunno who i'd want as Pennywise.

but i love Tim Curry's Version. and if he returns i'd be fine with that. but have him do it a little darker than tv allows.
he can be both joking around with them and also a scary motherfucker.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ColonelStrayn

PostSubject: Re: Movies you loved but you now feel are dated.    Sun May 05, 2013 2:31 am

I wonder how many people actually have coulrophobia (fear of clowns) because of It.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Toyland Chairman

PostSubject: Re: Movies you loved but you now feel are dated.    Sun May 05, 2013 5:53 am

ROBOTECH: THE MOVIE
The funny thing is this movie actually takes place in 2027, but because of the anime footage taken from MEGAZONE 23, and the music of course, this movie screams 1980's. But I love the 80's retrospective feel, so it doesn't really bother me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/
wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Movies you loved but you now feel are dated.    Sun May 05, 2013 7:42 am

that is a good question. Sean did you get scared shitless when you 1st saw the film "IT" as a kid?

as for i did but i also got that form the book as well. both i love. anyways, as for clowns i'm not scared of them but i can't stand them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Toyland Chairman

PostSubject: Re: Movies you loved but you now feel are dated.    Mon May 06, 2013 1:47 am

wildhoney66 wrote:
that is a good question. Sean did you get scared shitless when you 1st saw the film "IT" as a kid?

I don't recall being scared. I was never afraid of clowns, so I probably didn't think much about it. I was probably already long desensitized into horror by the time I saw this one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/
ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: Movies you loved but you now feel are dated.    Mon May 06, 2013 1:52 am

ColonelStrayn wrote:
Some of the old Stephen King TV miniseries. I remember liking Storm of the Century, The Stand, and It scared me half to death as a kid. I think they're just kind of goofy now.

Braveheart and every cheesy, pseudo-historical sword and sandal movie like it, except 300. That one, at least, knew it was based on a graphic novel, not real life, and didn't try to be anything else.

I still kind of like IT; the sections when the characters are kids held up pretty well, I think, the adults not so much. I'm not scared of clowns but I am scared of Tim Curry....
THE STAND was pretty uneven for me, but it is my favorite King book so probably no movie would've met my expectations Cool I did really like Gary Sinise as Stu. I remember liking ROSE RED but I don't know if it would hold up on rewatch. Don't think I ever saw STORM OF THE CENTURY.
Back to top Go down
kraufen

PostSubject: Re: Movies you loved but you now feel are dated.    Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:18 am

That would be pet semetary for me. I love that movie, but its honestly super dated now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skibz

PostSubject: Re: Movies you loved but you now feel are dated.    Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:09 am

I'm not sure how I would differentiate movies that are "dated" to movies that were purely products of their time. I was born in 1988, but even so, I'm never really alienated whenever I see, like, a '70s film that's full of '70s things. I can't think of a film merely made in the past as "dated" because therefore ALL films are dated by extension.

I think the closest I can come to saying a film feels "dated" to me is when I watch those heaps of mid-to-late 1990s techno-thrillers where computers were the hot new thing but screenwriters knew nothing about them (e.g. 'Hackers'). I consider something like nonsensical computerspeak to be more "dated" than something like Dolemite's wardrobe, mostly because it was it was an inaccurate contemporary speculation of what technology would become, rather than something which was just a product of its time period. (Ironically, it was an accurate speculation of what technology in film and TV would become because the portrayals of both a hacker's and a computer's abilities are still just as ridiculously wrong.)

I also remember a Marx Brothers movie where Groucho describes a talkative person as having been "vaccinated with a phonograph needle". That joke is incredibly dated, but the films themselves still manage to be timeless as a whole.

wildhoney66 wrote:
anyways one that is Dated and it's a fantastic Movie is 'It's a mad mad mad mad World"!  it's been remade a couple times.
'IAMMMMW' is one of my all-time favorite movies; I think the film itself has held up relatively well, though its derivatives (I don't know if I'd call them "remakes") have not. 'Million Dollar Mystery', 'Midnight Madness', 'Scavenger Hunt', 'Cannonball Run', etc. all seem very dated. 'Rat Race' very much so, if only for the inclusion of "Who Let the Dogs Out?" and "All Star" on the soundtrack, the latter of which is actually performed by Smash Mouth in the film. That would totally scream 1998 if the film hadn't been made in 2001.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/theskibz
wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Movies you loved but you now feel are dated.    Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:52 am

midnight madness i belive was filmed in (1979) cause Michael J.Fox turned 18 when that was filmed. great film. but like you said dated. scavenger hunt was terrible as well. a great cast wasted. i love the cannonball run films as well. Rat Race i've actually never seen but i fucking HATE the song who let the dogs out? that song i have no idea how it even became a hit? all it is, is a bunch of morons screaming that and barking like idiots.  that's it and they repeat that over and over. and over.

it's like a needle to the brain when i hear that song.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skibz

PostSubject: Re: Movies you loved but you now feel are dated.    Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:04 am

The song's annoying, but it doesn't bother me as much. The only thing that bothers me about it is that - me being a fan of Caribbean music genres (read: me being a nerd) - 90% of the American public think that song represents all soca music, which it doesn't. It's a pet peeve of mine on the same level of how 90% of the American public think No Doubt and Sublime represent ska music. At least calypso is still under the radar.

Truthfully, I thought 'Rat Race' was really fun. Sure, it's dumb as a sack of apples, but for that type of movie, all I expect is fast-paced slapstick and cheap gags, and it delivered.
Back to top Go down
Angie Matera

PostSubject: Re: Movies you loved but you now feel are dated.    Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:44 am

Skibz wrote:
The song's annoying, but it doesn't bother me as much. The only thing that bothers me about it is that - me being a fan of Caribbean music genres (read: me being a nerd) - 90% of the American public think that song represents all soca music, which it doesn't. It's a pet peeve of mine on the same level of how 90% of the American public think No Doubt and Sublime represent ska music. At least calypso is still under the radar.

Truthfully, I thought 'Rat Race' was really fun. Sure, it's dumb as a sack of apples, but for that type of movie, all I expect is fast-paced slapstick and cheap gags, and it delivered.
Yeah i hate that song to i remeber beinga kid and everyone was singing it and it annoyed the fuck about me even back then. And i don't know anything about Soca music but i do have a Pet peeve simliar to that. i hate that people think garbage like Marilyn Manson,My chemical Romance,Slipknot and Evanessance is gothic music. True gothic music is stuff like Sisters of mercy,Joy divison,45 grave,Siousxie and the Banshees,London after midnight ect. i remeber seeing Rat race once and not liking it.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Movies you loved but you now feel are dated.    Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:01 am

one of my favorite groups is No Doubt. and i don't consider them a Ska band. yes in the early years they were a ska band. but if you listen to their later stuff starting in say (2000) they pretty much left it. and i think their newest one has some. but it's nowhere near as much as in "Tragic Kingdom'

and i'm not really a Ska fan either. just them and i don't consider them their focal point or whatever you want to call it. but there's no doubt no pun intended  people out there who like you said do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Angie Matera

PostSubject: Re: Movies you loved but you now feel are dated.    Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:14 am

yeah i dont think i ever liked anything that is ska.
Back to top Go down
Skibz

PostSubject: Re: Movies you loved but you now feel are dated.    Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:19 am

Angie Matera wrote:
i do have a Pet peeve simliar to that. i hate that people think garbage like Marilyn Manson,My chemical Romance,Slipknot and Evanessance is gothic music. True gothic music is stuff like Sisters of mercy,Joy divison,45 grave,Siousxie and the Banshees,London after midnight ect.
I'll second that; in high school I was also a big fan of classic gothic rock/post-punk and gothic industrial/EBM, and was equally dismayed by people's association of the scene with the likes of Marilyn Manson.

I don't think any subculture's music is properly represented by the media, and I don't think there's any genre that's properly represented in American media. America has the unfortunate tendency to take any genre of music with a rich cultural heritage (whether world music or a label with a rich subculture and ideology like punk or goth) and thoroughly whitewash it into the latest pop trend to market to teenagers. When you get right down to it, there's really no difference between, say, Marilyn Manson and Ricky Martin; they're both pop stars, they're just wear different clothes.

wildhoney66 wrote:
one of my favorite groups is No Doubt. and i don't consider them a Ska band. yes in the early years they were a ska band. but if you listen to their later stuff starting in say (2000) they pretty much left it. and i think their newest one has some. but it's nowhere near as much as in "Tragic Kingdom'
Well, the actual fans know the difference, but to the average person, when you mention a really niche genre of music - such as ska - their minds will obviously go to what's been mass-marketed to them as "ska" rather than what actually is "ska". I totally don't blame the American Generation Y for immediately connecting "ska" with the hit singles of hugely successful bands like No Doubt or Sublime rather than the 1960s Jamaican singers I equate it with, but being that I really don't like Sublime or punk-ska, having people think I do when I say I like the genre can get really annoying.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Movies you loved but you now feel are dated.    Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:21 am

well their 1st album is a ska album. and there's a couple songs i like but the album is shit. the next one they did i forget the name of it at the moment is one that takes awhile to like the music. but 'tragic kingdom' is a great album. it's kinda a mixture of different music not just ska.  and the later albums aren't ska at all. sorry for going off topic

and your right, being a fan i can tell the difference. an example that is a pretty good example is the beach boys, they have really never been a surf band. like everyone thinks they are. they did a couple surf albums. this was the way their music worked at the start, it started out being a surfing band, than it was songs about cars, than it was girls, than it was adult relationships. so you see their styles of music changed. and if you listen to a song you gotta check out called "Little Pad' from their (1967) album Smiley Smile' they are high off their ass when they recorded it back than.

and the song isn't terrible either. it just makes me laugh cause a few of those songs they sang in they are high as fuck on whatever drugs they were on at the time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skibz

PostSubject: Re: Movies you loved but you now feel are dated.    Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:32 am

I'm aware of No Doubt's history; I've heard the stuff they recorded in the '80s and I've even talked with former vocalist Alan Meade on several occasions. I also like the whole 2-Tone/Mod era of ska of the '80s, but I never thought No Doubt were one of the better of the California scene back then...less so when they tried sounding like Fishbone on those first two albums. I'll admit 'Tragic Kingdom' is a solid pop-rock album, but...that sort of stuff just isn't my cup of tea.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: Movies you loved but you now feel are dated.    Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:48 am

i don't have anything they did in the 80's to be honest. their 1st album came out in (1992) anyways, fair enough. unlike the man of steel review that gave brad all that hate for not liking the film.

even though it's not that big of a deal, he didn't like it that's fine by me. anyways my point is when someone doesn't like a group i do. my atitude is ok that's fine. i don't listen to Sublime either. anyways if anyone wants to stop talking about music at least in this thread i'm ok with that as well.

and does anyone look at say the police academy films and think how outdated those films now are?

i'm talking about the 80's ones not part 7. which i thought was an ok film. it's not one i hate to be honest. or how the Scream Series at least the first 2 films feel outdated now as well.

also really you talked with the former singer? NICE! i wonder what kind of stories he had to say. he he
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movies you loved but you now feel are dated.    

Back to top Go down

Movies you loved but you now feel are dated.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next