Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

All about Nostalgia Chick

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DonGrif

PostSubject: All about Nostalgia Chick   Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:44 am

So what do you think of the female version of Nostalgia Critic? I'm of course talking about the Nostalgia Chick!

I like her reviews even though she used to have alot of her friends in them. But I think she has read all the comments about this because her friends are not in there as much as they used to. Good thing Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Loxx O)))

PostSubject: Re: All about Nostalgia Chick   Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:51 am

I like her videos. She's pretty entertaining, it's a shame that she isn't that active. And yeah... I was a big fan of all the skits and stuff she tried to do. I prefer it more when these guys just sit and talk. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yakityyakblah

PostSubject: Re: All about Nostalgia Chick   Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:00 am

When you stick your friends into your reviews your kind of putting your audience in an awkward position if it doesn't work. Nella has gotten better over all and I think they've gotten better at figuring out how to use her.

Over all I like the Nostalgia Chick's reviews. She comes at it with a more scholarly approach that has her actually saying something about what she's reviewing as opposed to just going for jokes. I appreciate that and over all I think that is something more of the reviewers should attempt to do. For instance the way that many of the Snob's reviews actually end up giving you some insight about the companies and circumstances around these movies. In between the much appreciated T&A of the Big Box vids you are learning about the history of those types of movies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Loxx O)))

PostSubject: Re: All about Nostalgia Chick   Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:03 am

Yeah, that is one of the things I like about her. She comes across as intelligent and informed. I'm not saying these other people aren't intelligent... but they're going for the easy jokes and laughs.

Not to derail this thread, but another reviewer that I quite enjoy is Happy Video Game Nerd. In his videos he does talk about the history of the game and the companies behind them. Also, there is the fact that he's talking about the good in games makes him different. Very cool guy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yakityyakblah

PostSubject: Re: All about Nostalgia Chick   Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:12 am

Yeah, to be honest the angry reviewer schtick is getting old. There's only so many ways you can over react to some piece of media that isn't very good. I think ultimately it's more important that you're bringing an interesting perspective to the reviews.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JustinDP

PostSubject: Re: All about Nostalgia Chick   Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:27 am

I enjoy Lindsey's stuff.

Though, I admit I think she probably should dial back the feminism stuff just a tad since it often gets in the way of the humor.

Still, I've always found her to be one of the more entertaining of the group. Its kind of nice to have a female perspective which can often be a rarity with nerdly things.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mondo a Go-Go

PostSubject: Re: All about Nostalgia Chick   Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:38 pm

I love the Chick. She is funny, honest, and has little quirks that just work. My only gripes would be that she's getting away from the "Nostalgic Girly Stuff" concept and more into analyzation of various concepts in film which isn't bad, but I would like to see her do more straightforward reviews. Also, am I the only one who finds her current trend of putting in music really distracting? Maybe it's because I like library music and immediately start thinking about which track she used instead of paying attention to the review.

The Showgirls review is pretty epic. That movie is such an amazing failure on all accounts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yakityyakblah

PostSubject: Re: All about Nostalgia Chick   Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:54 pm

The girly movie thing makes her a gimmick, the more thoughtful "I'm going to film school" reviews actually gives her a unique perspective on things.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
polygonalchemist

PostSubject: Re: All about Nostalgia Chick   Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:24 pm

I really do like her more scholarly vidoes as of late, as well. She really does have some good insight, and I hope she does more of those.

I think her original casting as the "Female Nostalgia Critic" really put her in a box. She clearly wants to do a lot more of the serious critical videos, but judging by the comments on her videos, everyone just wants her to go back to the girlie stuff. I donno if she's losing interest in those or not, but perhaps she should consider splitting off a new series for the more serious stuff, or passing the torch if it's not what she really wants to do anymore. I donno, the one anime girl who's name escapes me at the moment did a pretty good video on Land Before Time recently, maybe she's looking to tackle more western animation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Loxx O)))

PostSubject: Re: All about Nostalgia Chick   Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:43 am

You're thinking of Marz Gurl, which I can't stand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All about Nostalgia Chick   

Back to top Go down

All about Nostalgia Chick
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1