Share | 

All about Stephen King

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: All about Stephen King   Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:11 am

wildhoney66 wrote:
see i don't know why people love that book. i thought it was a piece of shit. it's like he didn't know what the book was even about. or rather he was trying to find a way with it. granted i'm grateful that he got to be successful writer because of it. there's no doubt about that. & the original film kicks fucking ass.

but the book sucks ass. he's even said in various interviews pretty much close to what i just said. though i was more blunt about than he normally is. he doesn't think it's one of his best either.

i did buy his new one though. i just haven't read it just yet

You're talking about Carrie here? I liked the book but it's one of those rare instances of the movie being better.

My favorites would have to be The Stand (yeah, even the extended edit), Misery, The Shining, Pet Semetary and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon; I also really love all his writing-as-Richard-Bachman stuff (except for The Regulators. The Regulators was friggin awful).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://anxietycloset.storenvy.com
wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: All about Stephen King   Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:46 am

here's the thing some of this way may agree on and some we may not. i haven't read all of his books so i can't say all of his books are good or bad. but Carrie i saw the movie the original film thousands of films before i finally got around to actually reading the book. so i dunno if i was spoiled by the film or not? but i love the (1976) film i fucking HATE the book. it bored me to be honest. hell even like i may have said even SK thinks it's a shitty book that

he's grateful for being released. anyways. "The Regulators' i did think was a shitty book i loved 'Desperation' but i thought 'the regulators with the same characters and everything some of them did different actions and so on.

i love the concept on how he came up with that. or someone did if it wasn't SK. if say he would have had "Deperation' stop at some point and continue maybe with "The Regulators' i dunno if i still would have liked it to be honest. part of it was i think some of the book i believe was part letters. kinda going back to the way he did "Carrie' honestly.

i don't like the way that one is either. anyways Tom gordon you loved ? really? that one bored me to fucking death as well. it's one of his worst. nothing happend in it at all. if you love it that's fine i'm not going to start a fight here.

but i thought it was one of his worst. i've read and if i've posted all this before my apologies i forget if i have or not.
i read the uncut version 1st. so by the time i did get around to get around to reading the cut version i could easily tell what was cut. and the cut version after the uncut version is a piece of shit. and that's why i prefer the uncut version.

other people may prefer the cut version as i call it and that's fine with me too. i haven't read all of the bachman books. but i loved "Thinner' and though 'the long walk' is a favorite of mine it's also a stupid book as well.

only cause it's a book about walking and it's not written as well as some of his other stuff. but still at the same time it's a fun book to read. and when someone gave me the paperback of it a reprint signet did in the 90's. i think it was?

i read it in 3 days i think it was? cause i could NOT put it down. so it does appeal to me as well. i have read it a couple times since than. honestly that one would i think be a fun movie to make. if the right script came along and the right actors. and everything else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: All about Stephen King   Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:07 am

wildhoney66 wrote:

i don't like the way that one is either. anyways Tom gordon you loved ? really? that one bored me to fucking death as well. it's one of his worst. nothing happend in it at all. if you love it that's fine i'm not going to start a fight here.

but i thought it was one of his worst. i've read and if i've posted all this before my apologies i forget if i have or not.
i read the uncut version 1st. so by the time i did get around to get around to reading the cut version i could easily tell what was cut. and the cut version after the uncut version is a piece of shit. and that's why i prefer the uncut version.

A lot of people hate it, I think I'm in the minority on liking it; but I like survivalism stories. No big deal.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: All about Stephen King   Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:15 pm

well actually you aren't the only one who likes Tom Gordon. quite a lot of people like it for some reason. i belong to a website that i'm just right now to lazy to look up. well it's Stephen King website pretty much and quite a lot of people on there love it. but to each their own is what i always say.

kinda like how i don't mind the transformers movies but if you ask if it's as good as the original film or the original cartoon i'm going to say fuck no. i don't hate that those films like a lot of people do. i enjoy them for what they are which aren't great movies by any means. but they are fun movies. sure they have plenty of faults that's for damn sure. but hey i enjoy them. they kill a rainy afternoone sometimes. anyways

i started reading "Under The Dome' last night i'm only on page 55 i think? or 57 i forget. either way i'm that far into it. what do you think of that one?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Angie Matera

PostSubject: Re: All about Stephen King   Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:35 pm

obin_gam wrote:
Frank Rizzo wrote:
unrealbe wrote:
The dark tower books are pure genius. I loved reading those.
Have read some of his other work here and there.

I really wish the dark tower books would be turned into movies, they'd make a huge load of money I think.

Ron Howard is alread on it Smile It will be a filmtrilogy + miniseries

1. Feature Length Film #1
2. TV Season (used as a bridge to...)
3. Feature Length Film #2
4. TV Season (Roland as a young gunslinger)
5. Feature Length Film #3
Spoiler:

Thats getting me worried because i always found Ron howard overated . hopefully he will get this done right. Im a huge Stephen King fan my favorites being The Stand and The Darktower series(though the last few DT books werent that great). ive read several of his works and like most of them and only disliked a few(wasn't a fan of Tommyknockers at all and didnt like Geralds game). My favorite author of all time though is H.P.Lovecraft . i love everything he wrote.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/angelina.matera
wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: All about Stephen King   Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:40 pm

oh i love "The Tommyknockers' the book and the film even though the film was cheesy as hell. and Ron Howard though is a favorite of mine as a director. i do agree that his way of wanting to do 'the dark tower' series is fucked up.

i dunno how i'd do it but it's just a fucked up way of doing it the way he wants to do it. i dunno how else to put it to be honest. i also am a huge SK fan but i also think he's done some shitty books. i love a LOT of auhtors and ther'es not many authors where i love all their work to be honest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Angie Matera

PostSubject: Re: All about Stephen King   Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:42 pm

wildhoney66 wrote:
oh i love "The Tommyknockers' the book and the film even though the film was cheesy as hell. and Ron Howard though is a favorite of mine as a director. i do agree that his way of wanting to do 'the dark tower' series is fucked up.

i dunno how i'd do it but it's just a fucked up way of doing it the way he wants to do it. i dunno how else to put it to be honest. i also am a huge SK fan but i also think he's done some shitty books. i love a LOT of auhtors and ther'es not many authors where i love all their work to be honest.

What way does he want to do it? Do you mean how its gonna be made into both movies and tv-series or is he gonna tone it down or something?
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/angelina.matera
wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: All about Stephen King   Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:48 pm

well i forget how it was announced, awhile back he wanted to do a big ass film of the 1st book and i think add my favorite of the series so far 'the drawing of the three' into i think? or something? i forget what all he wanted to do but the tv series that was going to be made was going to take place during 'the 4th book. and it was going to be i believe only 13 episodes? that isn't enough episodes to do back story or tell a story if ya ask me.

my hope is they make them one at a time and with the longer ones make them part 1 & part 2 like they been doing as of late. with that series it NEEDS to be done. with 1st two books i don't think it needs it. and maybe or maybe not with the 3rd one. but the 4th one has so much shit in it that it would need to be 2 parts. the rest of the series as well.

and that's a thing where i don't think greed would be an issue but it'd give the fans what they want. now i dunno how they are going to do it. but i'm sorry Javier Bardem who was going to play roland for awhile. was a shitty choice.

he was i think totally wrong for the part. hell i say get Bruce Fucking Cambell! sorry for my bad spelling that guy kicks ass!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roland19

PostSubject: Re: All about Stephen King   Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:58 pm

I figured they'd just adapt all of Roland's flashbacks and Wizard and Glass for the tv series.

Either way the movies will probably be screwed up some how.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: All about Stephen King   Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:49 am

that's my point it's a shitty idea and even if HBO did get it which would help. 13 episodes isn't enough to tell. yes they can be Faithful but still it's a big ass book so in short doing it for 13 episodes is a stupid ass idea. i'm curious to see the Tv series of "Under the dome' to be honest. cause that isn't set for only a 13 episode tv series but they are doing only it as a 13 episode season cause well let's face it most shows only do 13 episodes when it's on say in the summer or mid season replacement.

like "Castle' 1st season they only did i think 10 episodes for example. and that later got a full season the following season cause it was a hit. so telling Rolands back story in Wizard & Glass which i could NOT remember the name for some reason last nite. he he. wouldn't work unless it was on for a couple of years ore more. than after that 1 season it was going to tie in the next film. but since we got a new Dark Tower book out last year and the deal was made before

that book was i think written? i know it was before it was put out. i dunno what the fuck is going to happen right now. Javer Bardem has since THANKFULLY dropped out. either way it's going to be fucking EXPENSIVE to make this whole series no matter who makes it! even IF HBO ends up doing it just as an hr. long tv series that's a show that would have to be on for at least 20 years before it gets to the end of the story to be honest. cause of how much info is needed to not piss it's fans off. fans like us. so in short it's a tough call on how it should be made either way. they'd also have to get a cast that would be ready to do the role for a long time.

like ya know the Harry Potter films. where the kids grew up on screen pretty much. it's going to take at least a decade
to make the whole series. cause filming it will take months than the special FX. the CGI and shit. and if they are smart they will pretty much do the series like harry potter did.

they'd film a film and sometimes they would go right into the next one. but sometimes they'd take a year off to give the cast a break. i think the break for between the 1st and 2nd film was a few months off. cause those films are going to be really exhausting to make.

and i dunno if i'd want Ron Howard to make all of them but to start with the 1st film i could see it. it really depends on how the 1st movie ends up to be honest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: All about Stephen King   Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:04 am

wildhoney66 wrote:
well actually you aren't the only one who likes Tom Gordon. quite a lot of people like it for some reason. i belong to a website that i'm just right now to lazy to look up. well it's Stephen King website pretty much and quite a lot of people on there love it. but to each their own is what i always say.

kinda like how i don't mind the transformers movies but if you ask if it's as good as the original film or the original cartoon i'm going to say fuck no. i don't hate that those films like a lot of people do. i enjoy them for what they are which aren't great movies by any means. but they are fun movies. sure they have plenty of faults that's for damn sure. but hey i enjoy them. they kill a rainy afternoone sometimes. anyways

i started reading "Under The Dome' last night i'm only on page 55 i think? or 57 i forget. either way i'm that far into it. what do you think of that one?

I thought Under The Dome was great for about the first half but the characters were pretty one-dimensional and that drags it down in the second half. Also the ending was, I thought, really dumb. That's my $.02, anyway.

I hadn't heard any of that about Dark Tower getting adapted. Ron Howard seems like an odd choice; I would've thought Frank Darabont or maybe even Tarantino would've been a more natural fit, although it probably won't matter. To me this kind of feels like making the WATCHMEN movie - it's never going to turn out quite right.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: All about Stephen King   Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:26 am

I Believe Frank D. was at one point attached to it. before Ron Howard of course. i think he even wrote a script but either him or King didn't think it was good enough i forget which. i think he did write a few different scripts. none were good from what i hear. i of course may be wrong about all that.

but hell even J.J. Abrahms was going to do it as well. which was a perfect fit i think. but he never could come up with a good enough script either from what i hear. and in the end he said fuck it and was scared to touch it cause he didn't want the die hard fans to go off on his ass. but than now he does Star Wars? hmmm.????

odd huh? anyways, last i heard about anything to do with the film version of "The Dark Tower' was that from the budget that Ron Howard & Brian Grazer want to use no studio so far wants to touch it. and when it was getting developed i think
the money kept going up than what the studio wanted. so they backed out in fear of it being a flop i think.

Ron Howard Still wants to do it but i haven't heard jack shit about anything as of late. personally i'd love to see it done as a film series. i've wanted to see that since the 90's when i 1st read the first 3 books.

but honestly for years it was a series that could NOT be done right at all cause the technology wasn't right for years.
kinda like them not wanting to make a "Miss Saigon' film & that has been tried but they realized that would also cost far to much. that was years ago though that i heard that. so who knows about today.

when the budgets are fucking terrible. but honestly i think when the right people and the right script comes along. the series i think can be done right. i mean let's face it i may HATE CGI as much as the next guy.

but when it's done right i don't mind it. like for the Lord of the rings' films it's done to help the story and the film so i have no issues on that front. and let's face it if you've ever read the books the series would need CGI in it. quite a LOT!

maybe not as much in the 1st film of course. until maybe later in the book when Roland & Jake are in that Cart running way from those zombies or whatever those things are called? those things would most likely be CGI.

so would Roland going down in that basement and talking to that Demon in the 1st book. but compared to the later books. and the 2nd one i don't think would need a lot of it either. cause most of it takes place in our world. i am curious on how they would have Roland talk to Eddie or Susannah when he goes through those doors though.

and for Under the dome thank you. i've heard good things about the book. some love it. some love it and hate the ending and some hate it. so it i guess varies to whoever reads it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: All about Stephen King   Mon May 06, 2013 9:45 am

i never got around to finishing it unfortunally. and it wasn't cause i thought it was shit. it was cause my attention span is shit these days. now i'm reading "IT" well it has to be like the 10th time or so. cause i've read it many times through the years. i hope that the remake of it follows the book even more than the (1990) film did. granted some love the film and some hate it. i love it so it being a tvm and not putting in certain things doesn't bother me.

some of the shit in (1990) let's face it weren't my guess allowed now if it was made today more could be shown no doubt. the film is suppose to be 2 parts. and if they are both long as fuck and follow the book even more and is good i'll be happy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mayan_Grungecaster

PostSubject: Re: All about Stephen King   Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:27 am

I honestly think The Dark Tower would work better as a television series on HBO.

This is a series that is so packed with content that they would have to adapt each and every book as its own film if they wanted to pull it off successfully. Which probably isn't a very smart financial choice for such a risky project.

Just have a seven season TV show in which every book is adapted. Makes life much easier. Since everyone is obsessed with Game of Thrones right now, a TV adaptation in which the first season is Roland's childhood adventures in the Mejis with Susan Delgado battling the armies of John Farson would suck that audience right in
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: All about Stephen King   Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:37 am

"I honestly think The Dark Tower would work better as a television series on HBO."

This.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: All about Stephen King   Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:44 am

with the dark tower that's i think confusing on how it should be done properly. what they could do is like you said do an HBO tv show cause it being on ABC isn't the right thing to do. too much would get cut out. they easily if they want to cut back on how many films they are to do do the 1st book and run that for a couple seasons. than the 1st theatrical film would be the 2nd book. i dunno just a thought. each time i try to think on how it should be made i get a headache cause there's just so much that needs to be in the film or tv series.

i don't even know who i'd want as Roland but it sure as fuck isn't Javier Bardem that's for damn sure. Russell Crow maybe? now that's he's getting older? i dunno just a thought.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: All about Stephen King   Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:48 pm

Frank Rizzo wrote:
"I honestly think The Dark Tower would work better as a television series on HBO."

This.

Agreed.
I really don't know who I'd picture as Roland. Sam Rockwell maybe? Willem Dafoe probably could've owned it 15-20 years ago...
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: All about Stephen King   Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:58 pm

So it looks like Under The Dome is doing blockbuster business ratings wise and review wise, could this mean people will start dipping more into the King pool or TV mini-series or movies?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fubar_in_pittsburgh

PostSubject: Re: All about Stephen King   Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:33 am

Frank Rizzo wrote:
So it looks like Under The Dome is doing blockbuster business ratings wise and review wise, could this mean people will start dipping more into the King pool or TV mini-series or movies?

Saw the first episode. Saw no reason not to wait to see it in full when it hits Netflix. Wretched. And this was one of my favorite books by Mr King.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cthutube.blogspot.com/
ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: All about Stephen King   Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:14 pm

Couldn't drum much enthusiasm to watch Under the Dome. I wasn't all crazy about the book, tbh. And I really like Dean Norris but he is not who I imagined as Rennie.
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: All about Stephen King   Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:03 pm

When I first heard about the plot for the novel of Under The Dome, I pretty much went "So, it's basically The Tommyknockers.....in a dome...."

But once I read it, I liked it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fubar_in_pittsburgh

PostSubject: Re: All about Stephen King   Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:07 am

Frank Rizzo wrote:
When I first heard about the plot for the novel of Under The Dome, I pretty much went "So, it's basically The Tommyknockers.....in a dome...."

But once I read it, I liked it.

I loved it. It seemed a return to form. However, he still does not know how to end a book.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cthutube.blogspot.com/
wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: All about Stephen King   Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:40 am

there are some books of his that i have to i agree than there are others that i have to disagree with. i love the ending of the shining for example. yes it's an early book but still. i haven't read all the dark tower books yet but i love the endings to the first three books. the end of the 4th one was good but it didn't piss me off like the 3rd one when i 1st read it.

in short i think he can write a good ending, but the thing is sometimes he picks an ending we just don't like. a great ending at least i think it is well is the book 'The Dark Half' i love the book and it's a favorite of mine and i also love the film as well.

anyways, Doctor Sleep came out last week and i'm dying to read that one. has anyone picked that one up yet?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AstaKask

PostSubject: Re: All about Stephen King   Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:48 pm

The Nostalgia Critic just reviewed "the Shining" (the miniseries). I prefer my Overlook Hotels with Jack Nicholson in them, thank you very much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: All about Stephen King   Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:36 am

i love both films, if the mini-series was better cast with well a kid who CAN actually act. and though i like Rebeca DeMornay in most of the thing's i've seen her in. she's not very good in the mini-series and Steven Weber who i do like as well, he's a fine actor but he doesn't give his best performance either.

that's all for me that's hurting the film. otherwise it's great. but i enjoy both films, most of us here just grew up with the (1980) version. that's all. so we are used to that. man i wish that Kubrick had actually stuck closer to the book. instead of going his own damn way. it would have been a great film either way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All about Stephen King   

Back to top Go down

All about Stephen King
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next