Pierre Kirby Approved.
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 It can't be unseen

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
A Cockatrice

avatar

Posts : 184
Join date : 2011-01-19
Location : Minnesota

PostSubject: Re: It can't be unseen   Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:19 pm

The Dude wrote:
A Cockatrice wrote:
The Dude wrote:
yakityyakblah wrote:
I don't personally empathize with animals. As someone who loves to eat meat I don't in any way feel violence towards animals the same way I feel anything regarding people being abused. So even real violence towards animals doesn't compare to violence or sexual assault towards a person. Especially children.
I'm in the opposite boat myself. I can handle pretty much any caliber of violence against a human being, of any age, assuming that I already know that it's staged. I don't like the idea of slaughtering an animal onscreen, because actually killing a creature for the sake of entertainment just seems wrong. For the record, I don't mind staged animal deaths.

I grew up on old Disney movies were seeing any animal death on a movie, staged or not, would make me feel much worse then a human dieing strangely enough.
Probably because animals are almost always cuter than humans, and it's just really, really easy to sympathize with something cute.

I for one believe that its Disney's evil agenda to get everyone to be wimpy hippie's and earth lovers. And thus can take over the world without any struggle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

avatar

Posts : 1298
Join date : 2011-01-19
Location : Tampa

PostSubject: Re: It can't be unseen   Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:55 pm

A Cockatrice wrote:
The Dude wrote:
A Cockatrice wrote:
The Dude wrote:
yakityyakblah wrote:
I don't personally empathize with animals. As someone who loves to eat meat I don't in any way feel violence towards animals the same way I feel anything regarding people being abused. So even real violence towards animals doesn't compare to violence or sexual assault towards a person. Especially children.
I'm in the opposite boat myself. I can handle pretty much any caliber of violence against a human being, of any age, assuming that I already know that it's staged. I don't like the idea of slaughtering an animal onscreen, because actually killing a creature for the sake of entertainment just seems wrong. For the record, I don't mind staged animal deaths.

I grew up on old Disney movies were seeing any animal death on a movie, staged or not, would make me feel much worse then a human dieing strangely enough.
Probably because animals are almost always cuter than humans, and it's just really, really easy to sympathize with something cute.

I for one believe that its Disney's evil agenda to get everyone to be wimpy hippie's and earth lovers. And thus can take over the world without any struggle.
Wait, that hasn't already happened?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ermac



Posts : 126
Join date : 2011-01-22

PostSubject: Re: It can't be unseen   Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:13 pm

I actually took Brad's word and didn't see, even out of curiosity. I actually do have a pretty straight policy for um shall I just call it, human stupidity in its purest form, and will not be seeing this movie ever. Also the same reason I never saw Human Centipede.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Loxx O)))

avatar

Posts : 102
Join date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: It can't be unseen   Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:31 am

Honestly, Human Centipede isn't bad at all. I don't know what all those people were flipping their shit about.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ermac



Posts : 126
Join date : 2011-01-22

PostSubject: Re: It can't be unseen   Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:46 am

I'm not really flipping my shit. I'm wouldn't be grossed out by the movie, I just think the whole premise is stupid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yakityyakblah

avatar

Posts : 215
Join date : 2011-01-22

PostSubject: Re: It can't be unseen   Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:02 am

The premise is the only really shocking thing about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ermac



Posts : 126
Join date : 2011-01-22

PostSubject: Re: It can't be unseen   Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:24 am

It sounds extremely stupid to me, sorry. Done for just shock purpose. Just like Serbian Film.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yakityyakblah

avatar

Posts : 215
Join date : 2011-01-22

PostSubject: Re: It can't be unseen   Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:48 am

Not even close, completely different leagues.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ermac



Posts : 126
Join date : 2011-01-22

PostSubject: Re: It can't be unseen   Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:50 am

Though being completely different, both films rely on shocking you. Or have I misunderstood the concepts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Loxx O)))

avatar

Posts : 102
Join date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: It can't be unseen   Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:50 am

I was just saying I don't understand why people made a big deal about it. It's nothing special.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheCinemaCynic

avatar

Posts : 58
Join date : 2011-01-23
Age : 23
Location : New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: It can't be unseen   Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:14 am

I watched it, I wish I didn't. I turned it off after THAT scene
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

avatar

Posts : 1298
Join date : 2011-01-19
Location : Tampa

PostSubject: Re: It can't be unseen   Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:30 am

Loxx O))) wrote:
I was just saying I don't understand why people made a big deal about it. It's nothing special.
I suppose they've never been to /b/.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CGC002

avatar

Posts : 5
Join date : 2011-01-21
Age : 21
Location : Seattle, WA

PostSubject: Re: It can't be unseen   Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:02 am

I made the mistake of reading a plot synopsis.

To anyone who has no idea what this movie is about, let that sink in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://collin.co.nr
The Original Greaser Bob

avatar

Posts : 1298
Join date : 2011-01-19
Location : Tampa

PostSubject: Re: It can't be unseen   Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:11 am

CGC002 wrote:
I made the mistake of reading a plot synopsis.

To anyone who has no idea what this movie is about, let that sink in.
Okay, while I've never seen the movie, and therefore can't speak on how actually watching it affected me, I have read the synopsis, and none of it sounds overwhelming the way everyone says it is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lady_ash2112

avatar

Posts : 9
Join date : 2011-01-22
Location : Scottsdale AZ

PostSubject: Re: It can't be unseen   Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:39 am

The Dude wrote:
yakityyakblah wrote:
I don't personally empathize with animals. As someone who loves to eat meat I don't in any way feel violence towards animals the same way I feel anything regarding people being abused. So even real violence towards animals doesn't compare to violence or sexual assault towards a person. Especially children.
I'm in the opposite boat myself. I can handle pretty much any caliber of violence against a human being, of any age, assuming that I already know that it's staged. I don't like the idea of slaughtering an animal onscreen, because actually killing a creature for the sake of entertainment just seems wrong. For the record, I don't mind staged animal deaths.

I know exactly what you mean. I don't think the human deaths in Cannibal Holocaust would make me flinch but the animal deaths I cannot handle. I watched the clip from CH of the turtle getting slaughtered just out of curiosity... I needed a few cold showers after that. Despite how authentic that woman impaled on the pole looked on the screen, you know that it was still fake. Because we all know that actually killing a person for entertainment would have some serious legal repercussions. However this was back in a time when animal cruelty wasn't a hot button issue like it is now.

As far as Serbian Film goes, I really don't have a desire to see it. Never really appealed to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ladyashpresents.blogspot.com/
The Original Greaser Bob

avatar

Posts : 1298
Join date : 2011-01-19
Location : Tampa

PostSubject: Re: It can't be unseen   Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:46 am

lady_ash2112 wrote:
The Dude wrote:
yakityyakblah wrote:
I don't personally empathize with animals. As someone who loves to eat meat I don't in any way feel violence towards animals the same way I feel anything regarding people being abused. So even real violence towards animals doesn't compare to violence or sexual assault towards a person. Especially children.
I'm in the opposite boat myself. I can handle pretty much any caliber of violence against a human being, of any age, assuming that I already know that it's staged. I don't like the idea of slaughtering an animal onscreen, because actually killing a creature for the sake of entertainment just seems wrong. For the record, I don't mind staged animal deaths.

I know exactly what you mean. I don't think the human deaths in Cannibal Holocaust would make me flinch but the animal deaths I cannot handle. I watched the clip from CH of the turtle getting slaughtered just out of curiosity... I needed a few cold showers after that. Despite how authentic that woman impaled on the pole looked on the screen, you know that it was still fake. Because we all know that actually killing a person for entertainment would have some serious legal repercussions. However this was back in a time when animal cruelty wasn't a hot button issue like it is now.
I've never seen Cannibal Holocaust, mostly because I know that I would feel like a jackass after watching, for having sat through several animal mutilations for the sake of entertainment. I felt pretty bad just seeing that snake killed in Friday the 13th.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yakityyakblah

avatar

Posts : 215
Join date : 2011-01-22

PostSubject: Re: It can't be unseen   Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:17 am

The Dude wrote:
CGC002 wrote:
I made the mistake of reading a plot synopsis.

To anyone who has no idea what this movie is about, let that sink in.
Okay, while I've never seen the movie, and therefore can't speak on how actually watching it affected me, I have read the synopsis, and none of it sounds overwhelming the way everyone says it is.

Butt fucking your own son or an infant doesn't phase you as a concept?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

avatar

Posts : 1298
Join date : 2011-01-19
Location : Tampa

PostSubject: Re: It can't be unseen   Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:50 am

yakityyakblah wrote:
The Dude wrote:
CGC002 wrote:
I made the mistake of reading a plot synopsis.

To anyone who has no idea what this movie is about, let that sink in.
Okay, while I've never seen the movie, and therefore can't speak on how actually watching it affected me, I have read the synopsis, and none of it sounds overwhelming the way everyone says it is.

Butt fucking your own son or an infant doesn't phase you as a concept?
In the context of a film, no, not particularly. I even know a couple of people who managed to find humor in some of the more ludicrous, cock-related death scenes. You probably know the ones.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Loxx O)))

avatar

Posts : 102
Join date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: It can't be unseen   Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:12 am

Those animal killings aren't the main draw of Cannibal Holocaust. I was just saying, it's worse seeing an actual death of anything over a fake death of a person or child or whatever. The real disturbing part of CH is the story.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

avatar

Posts : 1298
Join date : 2011-01-19
Location : Tampa

PostSubject: Re: It can't be unseen   Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:00 am

Loxx O))) wrote:
The real disturbing part of CH is the story.
The story of an exploitation movie that tries to be more than it is?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yakityyakblah

avatar

Posts : 215
Join date : 2011-01-22

PostSubject: Re: It can't be unseen   Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:50 am

The Dude wrote:

In the context of a film, no, not particularly. I even know a couple of people who managed to find humor in some of the more ludicrous, cock-related death scenes. You probably know the ones.

A yes, often referenced, rarely executed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: It can't be unseen   

Back to top Go down
 
It can't be unseen
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Cinema Snob :: The Cinema Snob-
Jump to: