The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

1980s babe Diane Franklin's autobiography.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
JLBishop84

1980s babe Diane Franklin's autobiography. Empty
PostSubject: 1980s babe Diane Franklin's autobiography.   1980s babe Diane Franklin's autobiography. EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 5:23 pm

I was born in the 1980s, but somehow I had a really cool elementary school teacher who showed me Better Off Dead and introduced me to the first actress who I crushed heavily on (in my own head, at least) for at least two years before moving out of Mesa: Diane Franklin. I immediately rented TerrorVision and it kind of made me a little sad to realize that for someone I considered an appealing actress, she had a very limited career once the 1990s rolled in. Seeing as how Brad has spotlighted the BoD soundtrack in one "80s Dan" special and also Russell Brand's bio in "A Clockwork Orgy," I feel compelled to share Franklin's recent autobiography with all my fellow Snob-lodytes. It's on Amazon in paperback and Kindle-friendly formats and it's called "The Excellent Adventures of the Last American, French-Exchange Babe of the 1980s." If you've ever had a crush on not just Franklin, but any 1980s B-movie fixture, this is quite an enriching read. It's a thorough look back at her showbiz career from childhood to motherhood, filled with anecdotes, war stories and critical insight into how she got perceived as a babe. She talks about European sensibilities, angel/siren archetypes, standards of independent women contrasted to her screen personae, and gives attention to every aspect of her showmanship pursuits from modelling to commercials to TV work and features.

Fans of any of her film work starting with The Last American Virgin (a movie which I first saw at 19 when it got issued on DVD and kind of now equate as an example of Al Pacino's speech about instinct from Devil's Advocate) will really enjoy her reflections on these projects. They're honest, candid, passionate analyses and appraisals of what made these films special enough to carry on, and she gives each of them perspective. I got the feeling that Franklin was a natural actress and just has the biggest heart and perkiness that anybody would be privileged to witness.

Forgive me for gushing too much in lieu of telling too much, but Franklin has this intoxicating enthusiasm and passion for creativity that has only rekindled and deepened my amour for the actress who played Monique Junet. Granted, she got out of the business early enough to focus on marriage and having children, which she talks about in the epilogue, but I look at that with the most positive outlook: she followed her heart and let time grant her the cult stardom which she so rightfully deserves. Franklin is now 50 years old, and I am pleased to report that as a friend on Facebook, she really looks as stunning as she did way back in her cutie pie 1980s heyday. I'm also pleased to say she has a radio program where she talks to fellow female stars such as Claudia Wells, Jill Schoelen, Heather Langenkamp, and one-time co-stars such as Kimmy Robertson, Amanda Wyss and Mary Woronov.

"I think all you need is a small taste of success, and you will find it suits you," Monique Junet once said. And the woman who brought her to life is undeniably giving her legacy the love and positivity any fan deserves. I don't think it deserves a hard sell or a soft sell, but as someone who feels such a giddy thrill after 15 years, it's worthy of a "heart sell" recommendation. And if you want to see Diane Franklin in a more recent and hilarious role, one which is kind of like Kristen Bell meets Rodney Dangerfield, watch this video, and the book link is right next to it:

Diane's book
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: 1980s babe Diane Franklin's autobiography.   1980s babe Diane Franklin's autobiography. EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 11:51 pm

Good God but you really *do* love Diane Franklin, lol

never seen such a large amount of gushing before...
Back to top Go down
JLBishop84

PostSubject: Re: 1980s babe Diane Franklin's autobiography.   1980s babe Diane Franklin's autobiography. EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 8:40 am

If my geekgasms helped move copies of this book, then this should go on to outsell "The Da Vinci Code." I'm astounded myself at how much love I have for Diane Franklin, but that's just the luck of my adolescence. Seeing her as Monique at an impressionable age in Better Off Dead made me fall madly for her, and when I checked out TerrorVision from the Video Update, it made me surrender with a smile to just unbridled respect. The latter movie does get trashed a lot, but I love its playfully campy spirit all around from the genre send-ups and performances, and for the longest time I felt Diane's comic chops were underrated. That's why I chose the "Toon Wolf" clip to spotlight her recently, because she is just so gifted at comedy and deserves a second wind in that particular entertainment field. I am first and foremost a 15 years and running fan, and I want my passion to help bring this book to the attention of cult movie completists. I've done a lot of street team work in the past, but never has it been this poignant and so deeply personal. I just can't help but think she's actually using nostalgia for empowering, enlightening, exciting and entertaining purposes (in the abbreviated form: "Eeee!") , and even if she didn't strike me as a very lovely woman now or that if all I had was this book to help me carry on her legacy, I would still champion "The Excellent Adventures of the Last American, French-Exchange Babe of the 1980s" to the highest heavens. It's a warm embrace that deserves the same kind of treatment back at it.

"You're in love...have a beer." drunken

But all gushing (hopefully) aside, this was the most pleasant surprise I've had in a while from a long-time fixture of my cool book, which is of course where I like to think Brad Jones himself resides. Kind of makes me wonder if Team Snob could end up getting to interview Mrs. Franklin in the future.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1980s babe Diane Franklin's autobiography.   1980s babe Diane Franklin's autobiography. Empty

Back to top Go down

1980s babe Diane Franklin's autobiography.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Cinema Snob :: Other Stuff :: To the Book Depository!-
Jump to: