Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Scream! Factory Appreciation Thread (Halloween III: Season of the Witch, TerrorVision, Hospital Massacre, etc.)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JLBishop84

PostSubject: Scream! Factory Appreciation Thread (Halloween III: Season of the Witch, TerrorVision, Hospital Massacre, etc.)   Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:51 am

Shout! Factory have gone the obscure horror route recently with their Scream! Factory line of releases. Their 2012 releases thus far have included Brad Jones' favorite "Halloween III: Season of the Witch," as well as John Carpenter's "They Live," "Halloween II," "Terror Train," "The Funhouse," "The Island" (Michael Caine...not Michael Bay!), and a movie I haven't seen since the glory days of cable: 1982's "Death Valley." In quick succession, they've announced further releases of "The Burning," "The Nest," "The Incredible Melting Man," "Night of the Comet," "Hospital Massacre," "From Beyond," "Lifeforce," "The Town That Dreaded Sundown," and a double feature of 1986's "TerrorVision" and 1987's "The Video Dead." Having come of age in the VHS era, I am nevertheless full of excitement about these titles getting special edition DVD/Blu-Ray releases and plan to collect as many as I can. If anybody else is following their releases, or like me consider Diane Franklin to be someone who really deserved to be America's sweetheart, please drop in a reply and keep this thread alive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mondo a Go-Go

PostSubject: Re: Scream! Factory Appreciation Thread (Halloween III: Season of the Witch, TerrorVision, Hospital Massacre, etc.)   Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:35 am

Their Halloween and Funhouse DVDs are immaculate- beautiful transfers, lots of extras, and reversible box art so you can have the original posters or the new paintings. I can't wait for TerrorVision and the Video Dead. What a pair! I hope they treat them like Shout's Corman double Features and have a setting to watch them as a real double feature with trailers and ads in between, but maybe VHS centric.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLBishop84

PostSubject: Re: Scream! Factory Appreciation Thread (Halloween III: Season of the Witch, TerrorVision, Hospital Massacre, etc.)   Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:28 am

That grindhouse viewing mode was pretty sweet...first time I got it on Shout! Factory at least was when I picked up "The Evil/Twice Dead" combo. The Something Weird! library is chock full of titles with classic interstitials and schlock trailers, just like the "Wanda the Sadistic Hypnotist" and "Dr. Sex" pair which Brad touched upon. It just seems natural given their expanding catalog and is perhaps the best way to incorporate previews and trailers for their movies whilst upholding tradition. The overall consistency of their releases is what's commendable: the only release thus far to really skimp on the extras is "The Island." Even though the excellent Arrow Video in the UK provided a fully-loaded BD edition of Tobe Hooper's "The Funhouse" (and an exemplary DVD release of "Slaughter High"), I still picked up the Scream! disc for the unique features it had to offer.

The "TerrorVision/Video Dead" release details proved to be a very generous surprise: I taped the former off Turner Classic Movies one night just because I loved the ensemble cast with Gerritt Graham, Mary Woronov, Jon Gries, and, of course, Diane Franklin. All of them appear to be providing on-camera interviews for a new making-of featurette, and both Franklin and Gries have joined Ted Nicolaou for the commentary. The appearance of Mrs. Franklin just made me smile, as, besides from being one of the loveliest women of the 1980s, I really thought she was someone who deserved a much more prolific resume than what I've seen, and has proven multi-faceted upon further research (she sang the National Anthem at Dodgers). And having been collecting movies for so long, I think this is the first time I've ever seen her appear in a single DVD bonus feature. She was missing from the "Bill & Ted" box set, and the cult followings for "The Last American Virgin" and "Better Off Dead..." haven't really been immortalized for posterity on special edition disc. Between this and her recent autobiography over at Amazon, it's a pleasure to hear from her.

The "Halloween III" release was the first one I watched out of the box, naturally, and the transfer was impeccable. The Scope framing, attention to detail and pleasing warmth in colors despite its age was like an awakening to someone having internalized this through VHS. And it was finally rewarded a slate of extras that really honor the film's late-blooming re-evaluation and esteem. No 5.1 audio, but I really didn't care. It was just the notion that Shout! Factory had so much respect for their titles that, if they gave them booklets/liner notes inside the cases, they'd truly be the Criterion Collection of niche horror.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLBishop84

PostSubject: Phantasm II goes Blu   Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:30 am

I own the old Anchor Bay UK boxed set of the entire Phantasm series which came in that oversized sphere case. I guess I was that desperate to own the first sequel on DVD, and it had a commentary track with Don Coscarelli, Angus Scrimm and Reggie Bannister. Just recently, Scream! Factory announced final specs for the bonus features on their 3/26 Blu-Ray/DVD release of Phantasm II:

- Audio Commentary with director/writer Don Coscarelli and actors Angus Scrimm and Reggie Banister
- “The Ball is Back!” Documentary – featuring new interviews with writer/director Don Coscarelli, actors Reggie Banister, Angus Scrimm, Paula Irvine, Samantha Phillips and more!
- Vintage Behind the Scenes footage: Makeup Effects
- Vintage Behind the Scenes footage: On the Set
- “The Gory Days with Greg Nicotero” Featurette
- Deleted Scenes from archival film elements from Don Coscarelli’s archive
- Additional Scenes – alternate takes and deleted gore footage from the workprint
- Original TV Spots
- Trailers for Phantasm , Phantasm II & Phantasm III
- Still Galleries (Behind the Scenes , Makeup Effects , Hollywood Premiere )
- Rare short film starring Rory Guy (aka Angus Scrimm) as Abraham Lincoln

The artwork is probably going to be the reversible sort with the original theatrical art on the other side, although this newly-commissioned design hews close enough and most clearly lacks the faces of Mike and Liz reflected in the sphere. I had this on VHS, and I thought it was a bit more gonzo in a somewhat derivative way. I mean, after Stuart Gordon, Sam Raimi and Tobe Hooper kept finding new ways to go over-the-top, there's only one way to blow down the bar, and that's with a quadruple-barreled shotgun. But the Tall Man is a great bogeyman, no matter how many Hemicudas get detonated or heads get drilled, and Reggie is still a loveable stooge. I'm waiting in this one because it is so entertaining.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scream! Factory Appreciation Thread (Halloween III: Season of the Witch, TerrorVision, Hospital Massacre, etc.)   

Back to top Go down

Scream! Factory Appreciation Thread (Halloween III: Season of the Witch, TerrorVision, Hospital Massacre, etc.)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1