The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried?

Go down 
+8
jasn0_X
AstaKask
80'sDavid
Tabascofanatikerin
Deadpool
Cactus_Matt
A Cockatrice
MagnaRyu
12 posters
AuthorMessage
MagnaRyu

MagnaRyu

What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried? Empty
PostSubject: What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried?   What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried? EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 10:57 am

So we have a thread in here about what normal food everyone doesn't like.
So I thought we needed one where we could post the strangest foods, snack foods and drinks we have all tried.

I myself have eaten and liked a number Japanese snacks, such as cylindrical rice crackers wrapped with Nori (can't remember the name) it totally tastes like Fish Food, but I liked it.
Back to top Go down
A Cockatrice

A Cockatrice

PostSubject: Re: What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried?   What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried? EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 11:10 am

MagnaRyu wrote:
So we have a thread in here about what normal food everyone doesn't like.
So I thought we needed one where we could post the strangest foods, snack foods and drinks we have all tried.

I myself have eaten and liked a number Japanese snacks, such as cylindrical rice crackers wrapped with Nori (can't remember the name) it totally tastes like Fish Food, but I liked it.

Back when I was a kid my mom had a co-worker from Japan who would bring all sorts of Japanese and Asian snacks. A lot were cracker and fish related. I can't for the life of me remember the brand names but I do remember the crazy packaging.
Back to top Go down
Cactus_Matt

Cactus_Matt

PostSubject: Re: What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried?   What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried? EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 3:19 pm

I've had kangaroo several times, including kangaroo sausages (they call them 'kanga bangas'). I've also had black pudding on multiple occasions, but I don't consider either of these food items especially weird.
Back to top Go down
Deadpool

Deadpool

PostSubject: Re: What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried?   What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried? EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 3:33 pm

Live octopus in korea. It was like oldboy without the inadvertent incest.

Then agian, i'm half asian. I'll eat anything. I've eaten canned silkworms. I've eaten salted liquorice. I've eaten nordic slaughter and haggis. When i lived in afghanistan i couldn't digest most afghan food. Something about the oil being used just made me sick to my stomach, so i lived off of military MRE's that the US base would just give to me. Those are amazing to me. I've always always enjoyed them except for the turkey meat. It was always just off.

My grandfather used to also deep fry pig tails for me to eat. They're amazing.
Back to top Go down
MagnaRyu

MagnaRyu

PostSubject: Re: What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried?   What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried? EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 9:19 pm

Haggis is truly good, especially if its made the right way. Unfortunately in the United States we can't use sheep stomach in cooking in restaruants and you can't buy it; at least not officially.

Black Pudding is also very good.

I've eaten alligator, rattlesnake, emu, sauteed mealworms on spaghetti, chocolate covered grasshoppers
Back to top Go down
Tabascofanatikerin

Tabascofanatikerin

PostSubject: Re: What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried?   What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried? EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 1:47 pm

As I already wrote in the "Food you hate" thread I tried natto a few times.
I think this is the strangest food I've tried so far.

If you don't know what that is: Natto is a dish of fermented soybeans, you can also say: Expired or rotten soybeans but very popular in Japan where it comes from. It's a traditional breakfast there and also used as a small meal or top on sushi.
It has a very slimy texture, has a very own (strong) taste and smell. It's often eaten with rice, soy sauce and chopped spring onions.

To be fair: I was already informed when I got the chance to buy this in a Japanese store. I already knew that many people dislike it and why. I knew about the unusual taste for Non-Asian tongues. And I knew about the texture.

I TRIED to like it but I failed because the smell and taste are a bit too extreme for me. I totally respect and understand it when others like it but personally I wouldn't buy this anymore.

Maybe Umeboshi is something I could list here: Also traditional Japanese food, a heavily salty and sour tasting pickled fruit (plum/apricot) but this is something I actually like, especially with rice.
Oh and Kimchi (Korean fermented cabbage, slightly sour and hot). I love it!

I also wanna tell you what the strangest restaurant is I've visited so far: The "Gesellschaftsraum" in Munich which is famous for creating intentional strange but creative meals and drinks (like sweet desserts mixed with vegetables or bread made out of curry and beetroot, they also use very strange spices like cherry pepper. Also in my melon mineral water there were not only melon but also tomate pieces and mint leaves).
I can't exactly recall all things I ate there but I recall that EVERYTHING was unusual.
A fine, very interesting place for adventurous people.
Hey, if Brad could do plane flights maybe this would be great material for a "Brad Tries" episode (or special) Smile
Back to top Go down
http://tabascofanatikerin.deviantart.com
80'sDavid

80'sDavid

PostSubject: Re: What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried?   What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 5:21 am

Well I live in a pretty back-water town so don't get that much opportunity to try interesting foods but the weirdest I can recall having would be curried grasshoppers (that my friend brought to a local music festival) and flying fish eggs (In a Japanese restaurant in Cambridge). I've had a lot of other Sashimi and some rather strange Japanese snack foods too and other slightly odd Asian foods like kimchi, tempeh, kamaboko etc.

I've actually probably had more weird drinks than I have foods. I'm really into beer and there's an amazing shop in the city of York that just has this incredible selection of beers from all over the place so I've had Chilli pepper beer, stout made using Oysters, Seaweed beer, Heather ale, Coconut beer, several smoked porters etc. Nothing too crazy, but maybe considered a little strange by some.
Back to top Go down
http://thepeoplewholooklikebrianlewis.blogspot.co.uk
AstaKask

AstaKask

PostSubject: Re: What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried?   What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 1:38 pm

An Icelandic delicacy involving taking a poisonous shark, leaving it to rot for 30 days and then fermenting it. It tasted like ammonia.
Back to top Go down
jasn0_X

jasn0_X

PostSubject: Re: What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried?   What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried? EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 12:23 pm

I had those Moutain Dew chips recently...they were horrible....  cyclops 
Back to top Go down
Tabascofanatikerin

Tabascofanatikerin

PostSubject: Re: What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried?   What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried? EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 11:43 pm

jasn0_X wrote:
I had those Moutain Dew chips recently...they were horrible....   cyclops 
Seriously: How does this taste anyway? I just cannot imagine... scratch And who asks for this? *g*
Back to top Go down
http://tabascofanatikerin.deviantart.com
theGerman

theGerman

PostSubject: Re: What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried?   What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried? EmptyTue May 06, 2014 8:25 pm

Recently checked out two drinks a german site called Kenkodojo gave away for free. One was a Green Juice made mostly out of Kale, green pepper and Spinach. It was pretty disgusting. The other one was a Brown Rice and Soy Drink which I liked a lot, because it had banana puree in it which made it taste a little bit like banana milk.
Back to top Go down
80'sDavid

80'sDavid

PostSubject: Re: What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried?   What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried? EmptyTue May 06, 2014 8:39 pm

Did any of you guys outside the UK get those mint chocolate flavoured Pringles around Christmastime? I didn't get to try them but I heard they were pretty disgusting.
Back to top Go down
ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried?   What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried? EmptyWed May 07, 2014 3:11 am

80'sDavid wrote:
Did any of you guys outside the UK get those mint chocolate flavoured Pringles around Christmastime? I didn't get to try them but I heard they were pretty disgusting.

I don't recall seeing those, but then I wasn't exactly looking for them. Sounds pretty bad, but I do like sweet & salty so I'll have to watch for them next holiday season.

Weirdest thing I've eaten? Probably Rocky Mountain Oysters. (If you have to ask, you don't want to know) pale 
Back to top Go down
http://anxietycloset.storenvy.com
80'sDavid

80'sDavid

PostSubject: Re: What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried?   What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried? EmptyWed May 07, 2014 3:43 am

ChaosTheory wrote:

I don't recall seeing those, but then I wasn't exactly looking for them. Sounds pretty bad, but I do like sweet & salty so I'll have to watch for them next holiday season.

Weirdest thing I've eaten? Probably Rocky Mountain Oysters. (If you have to ask, you don't want to know) pale 

Jeez, I try to remain open minded with food but I think I'd pretty much draw the line at Rocky Mountain Oysters those are almost at the level of that whiskey with a dessicated human toe floating in it on my list of foodstuffs to NEVER try.

As for the pringles, I like sweet and salty to an extent; I adore chocolate covered pretzels for example, and these might have been okay if they were just plain salted Pringles covered in actual mint chocolate but apparently they were mint chocolate FLAVOURED, if you get the delineation. And that sounds all kinds of gross to me for some reason.
Back to top Go down
Alyxx

Alyxx

PostSubject: Re: What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried?   What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried? EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 2:18 am

Norwegian Lutefisk, as strange as it is, is traditional Norwegian food though far from everyone likes it over here.

I don't think I've ever had bugs though so nothing that would beat the sour cream and onion crickets.
Back to top Go down
http://alyxxgameroom.blogspot.no
ZappaDave

ZappaDave

PostSubject: Re: What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried?   What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried? EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 2:37 am

i'm fairly western-conventional in that regard. the strangest thing i've eaten is crab or octopus rings (tasty).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried?   What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried? Empty

Back to top Go down

What's the Strangest Food, Snack Food or Drink You Have Tried?
Page 1 of 1