HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Mystery Science Theater 3000

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Toyland Chairman

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000   Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:41 am

So the show is coming back with 14 episodes. New hosts. Doesn't sound like Joel will cameo anytime soon, but him appearing in the first new episode would be nice. In the same way he appeared in the SOULTAKER episode. Or he could just pop up at the end to talk with the new host.

I hope I can like this. I would have preferred the original cast members all return for a reunion film, then consider a "reboot".
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/
Skibz

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000   Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:35 am

The "reboot" really confuses me...as far as I can tell, Joel is the only person involved and he's predominantly doing behind-the-camera work with a whole new cast and writing crew. The only thing that really makes it 'Mystery Science Theater 3000' is the name and the presence of the Bots, which is unfortunately the same thing that could've been said about the disastrous 2007 Flash cartoons Jim Mallon and Paul Chaplin did. Is seeing the old Bots again really that big of an accomplishment if they're written for and voiced by entirely new people?

I don't mean to be cynical since there's a lot of talented people working on the show and I'm sure the riffing itself will be top-notch, but the 'MST3k' branding, the return of the robots and introducing new characters as the "children" of Dr. Forrester and TV's Frank feels so shallow, especially coming after the dissolution of the admittedly so-so Cinematic Titanic. I feel like this will be Joel's version of The Film Crew, and not in a good way.

I'll definitely give it a shot, but I'd be less skeptical if Joel was producing, say, a straight riffing series utilizing a revolving door of popular comedians, rather than resurrecting the entire 'MST3k' franchise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/theskibz

Mystery Science Theater 3000
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2