The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A place to discuss the Halloween franchise...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Subrick

A place to discuss the Halloween franchise... Empty
PostSubject: A place to discuss the Halloween franchise...   A place to discuss the Halloween franchise... EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 9:43 am

Because why not? To start, here's my thoughts on each of the movies in the franchise.

Halloween: One of the greatest movies of all time. Still genuinely scary and suspenseful to this day.

Halloween II: Pretty good. I don't mind that it's more violent than the last one because I think it serves the movie well, plus the movie is still quite scary.

Halloween III: Extremely overhated movie. Why it got the hate it got and still kinda does is beyond me.

Halloween IV: Probably the best of the sequels. The acting is my favorite thing about this movie; everyone turns in a great performance.

Halloween V: I like the movie, but I can see why a lot of people wouldn't. This is where the series really started falling prey to the shittier conventions of the slasher genre.

Halloween VI: I haven't seen it in full, but from what I have seen of it it doesn't look very good. The Producer's Cut looks infinitely superior.

Halloween H2O: Haven't seen it in years, but I don't remember it being that good.

Halloween Resurrection: One of the most magnificently terrible movies I have ever seen.

Rob Zombie's Halloween: For what it is, I thought it was really damn good. I liked that Rob Zombie put his own spin and style on the story of the original movie while remaining faithful to the source material when it counts. I'm also probably one of the only people on the planet that's seen the movie that likes that he tried to give an explanation as to why Michael became what he became.

Rob Zombie's Halloween II: I enjoyed it, but as with Halloween V I can see why people would really hate it. In contrast to my thoughts on (what I've seen of) Halloween VI, I think the theatrical cut is a lot better than the Director's Cut. You don't have Michael Myers talk, Rob Zombie. You just don't.

So there be my thoughts, now for you.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Subrick
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: A place to discuss the Halloween franchise...   A place to discuss the Halloween franchise... EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 10:02 am

I've seen a big 180 when it comes to Halloween III.

It used to be *everyone* said it was a horrible movie, now I see everyone going "It wasn't *that* bad of a movie..."
Back to top Go down
Subrick

PostSubject: Re: A place to discuss the Halloween franchise...   A place to discuss the Halloween franchise... EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 10:09 am

That 80s Dan video about it was actually really accurate. People like myself that were born after the heyday of the Halloween series don't share the same hatred of that movie as people who lived during that time since we don't have the same perspective of the series as the older viewers might have.
Back to top Go down
theGerman

theGerman

PostSubject: Re: A place to discuss the Halloween franchise...   A place to discuss the Halloween franchise... EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 2:26 pm

Never got around to see the third one sadly. Loved the first two ones...only ones I own on DVD.
4-6 i only watched on german TV which most likely means cut to pieces...like the 4th one, but never cared much for 5 and 6. H20 was a good idea, but wasn't executed well. In Resurrection I kinda liked the beginning where they got Jamie Lee Curtis to be a part of the franchise for the last time...the rest was crap.
As for the Rob Zombie-Remakes...I really like the first one, because it showed more of Michael's past and how he became that disturbed little boy. Second one wasn't that bad, but it just got too weird at some point what made the movie lose me.
Back to top Go down
Subrick

PostSubject: Re: A place to discuss the Halloween franchise...   A place to discuss the Halloween franchise... EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 5:51 pm

I honestly didn't mind the "artiness" of Rob Zombie's H2. Most of the time when people delve into weird arty nonsense that makes little to no sense I can look past it if the overall product is enjoyable and entertaining.
Back to top Go down
Mondo a Go-Go

Mondo a Go-Go

PostSubject: Re: A place to discuss the Halloween franchise...   A place to discuss the Halloween franchise... EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 7:26 am

My thoughts:

Halloween: A classic that still holds up. Jamie Lee Curtis makes the film for me, acting exactly how anyone would in her situation and bridging the catatonic Barbara from NOTLD and the survivalist action heroines of movies like Alien and A Nightmare on Elm Street. Fun fact: the house hwere Tommy Doyle lives in the movie a block over from where they shout Elm Street.

Halloween 2: A fantastic sequel! I love how Carpenter makes reference to the first movie then turns it in on it's head, like the pumpkin in the opening tearing open to reveal the skull. It's gorier and more action-oriented than the first, but I think it works in the movie's favor; also, setting it on the same night but moving the action to the hospital was inspired. If I were to watch one of the Halloween movies it would be the first, but the two are definitely part of a greater whole.

Halloween 3: Watching this movie on Halloween night is a tradition of mine; it just feels like Halloween! I love the story, I love masks, I love the scenes of kids trick or treating...it's just fantastic. I really think most of the movie's problems could be eliminated by just calling it "Halloween: Season of the Witch" and playing the main theme at the beginning. As it stands, though, I absolutely love Halloween 3.

Halloween 4: I liked this more the second time. It's another one that feels like Halloween, and the characters play off each other so well. Seeing the nostalgic costumes on Jamie's classmates is great, and the same goes for the scene in the drug store, not to mention the brilliant opening credits. The fault for me is that it doesn't really feel like a Hallowen (series) movie; it all feels kind of forced to me. That's why I'm hooked until about the climax, when the holiday trappings are cast aside, and that shouldn't be the case. The ending is clever, but I hated it when I first saw it.

Halloween 5: This was just really forgettable; I had to watch several trailers and read a few synopses to even remember what happened. It dropped the ideas set up by the end of Part 4 and just kind of limped along as a total mess, trying to do way too much at once. The problem was that it wasn't even a memorable mess.

Halloween 6: The problem with this movie was that it tried to give Halloween a mythos, like Elm Street or, to a lesser extent, Friday the 13th, and that was not a good fit for the series at all. I know the behind-the-scenes shenanigans, but it just doesn't forgive how much of a hot mess the movie is. It's kind of impressive that they made a movie where absolutely nothing works.

H20: It's better than 5 and 6, but that doesn't take much. Again, Jamie Lee makes the film, I love the Psycho references with Janet Leigh, but the story has some holes and there was too much use of jump scares. It was awfully triumphant to see Laurie get her revenge, though, and the false ending worked brilliantly. It's a pretty good film, but it only really works the first time around.

Resurrection: Good God. Like Part 6, it's just a nasty mess that ruins everything the previous movie has set up to end the series in favor of current slasher trends (in this case, found footage and self aware one-liners.)

Zombie 1: I actually really liked this movie for the most part, but it shouldn't have been called Halloween. It worked best as a deconstruction of the slasher film (the way Zombie tied in masks was brilliant), and if it were just that, spiced with references to Halloween and other genre films, it would have been great. A lot of people argue that Zombie "missed the point" by grounding Myers in a sort of reality, but if you want the Carpenter Myers, watch the Carpenter movie. Zombie couldn't beat it, and I think he knew that, so he looked at it from a different angle.

And I have yet to see Zombie's H2, though I really need to.
Back to top Go down
Subrick

PostSubject: Re: A place to discuss the Halloween franchise...   A place to discuss the Halloween franchise... EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 7:39 am

I remember watching Halloween Resurrection for the first time in years a couple weeks ago. Holy shit, is it a terrible movie. Like, not even so bad it's good. It's genuinely fucking horrible.
Back to top Go down
Hybrid Pig-Boy

Hybrid Pig-Boy

PostSubject: Re: A place to discuss the Halloween franchise...   A place to discuss the Halloween franchise... EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 10:49 am

I've only seen the first Halloween, and...really, it was lost on me. I don't know what it was, but I just didn't like it as much as I expected to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A place to discuss the Halloween franchise...   A place to discuss the Halloween franchise... Empty

Back to top Go down

A place to discuss the Halloween franchise...
Page 1 of 1