Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

So what's the philosophy this board has on criticism?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
yakityyakblah

PostSubject: So what's the philosophy this board has on criticism?   Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:39 am

Say for instance I didn't like the next Snob video, maybe I didn't like some new theme song or something. If I come on this board and go, hey not a fan of that new theme song I prefer the normal one. Am I going to be labeled a troll and get banned, or will I get a nice conversation and feedback?

Cause being as this is a new forum I'd like to get in on this, but I don't want to post here if this place is a no criticism zone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kaneda

PostSubject: Re: So what's the philosophy this board has on criticism?   Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:41 am

I liked it just because it is Pierre Kirby.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: So what's the philosophy this board has on criticism?   Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:42 am

yakityyakblah wrote:
Say for instance I didn't like the next Snob video, maybe I didn't like some new theme song or something. If I come on this board and go, hey not a fan of that new theme song I prefer the normal one. Am I going to be labeled a troll and get banned, or will I get a nice conversation and feedback?

Cause being as this is a new forum I'd like to get in on this, but I don't want to post here if this place is a no criticism zone.
So long as you're polite and fair about you're criticism, I don't foresee any problems.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ermac

PostSubject: Re: So what's the philosophy this board has on criticism?   Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:44 am

I think I've seen Brad state a couple of times that he is very open to criticism. Just be constructive, not an ass-clown.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
yakityyakblah

PostSubject: Re: So what's the philosophy this board has on criticism?   Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:46 am

Well I'm more than happy to keep my end of that bargain. I was just being hypothetical by the way, I don't actually have any criticisms, it's just I know a lot of the boards around other TGWTG personalities... aren't quite as open to anything that isn't blind praise.

Glad to join up. Sorry for making a new thread on my first post, I know that's bad etiquette, but I just wanted to make sure this was a place I'd actually want to post.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ermac

PostSubject: Re: So what's the philosophy this board has on criticism?   Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:47 am

I know where you are coming from. This is actually the only forum for a internet personality where I have a registration. The other places are just not worth my time or attention.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kaneda

PostSubject: Re: So what's the philosophy this board has on criticism?   Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:47 am

I never heard of that. Past forums I nave been to, the first posts I have made were new threads.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yakityyakblah

PostSubject: Re: So what's the philosophy this board has on criticism?   Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:53 am

More popular boards that get a lot of traffic tend to frown on people making new threads before the poster gets used to the rules and how people like to act. This is kind of a brand new board though, so I guess we're kind of in the genesis of all of that any way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: So what's the philosophy this board has on criticism?   Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:51 am

yakityyakblah wrote:
it's just I know a lot of the boards around other TGWTG personalities... aren't quite as open to anything that isn't blind praise.
That would be because they are pussies...I'm looking at you, Handsome Tom.

yakityyakblah wrote:
More popular boards that get a lot of traffic tend to frown on people making new threads before the poster gets used to the rules and how people like to act. This is kind of a brand new board though, so I guess we're kind of in the genesis of all of that any way.
It may also have something to do with the fact that there are no mods.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A Cockatrice

PostSubject: Re: So what's the philosophy this board has on criticism?   Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:07 am

The Dude wrote:
yakityyakblah wrote:
it's just I know a lot of the boards around other TGWTG personalities... aren't quite as open to anything that isn't blind praise.

yakityyakblah wrote:

But Brad occasionally comes on!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: So what's the philosophy this board has on criticism?   Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:10 am

A Cockatrice wrote:
The Dude wrote:
yakityyakblah wrote:

yakityyakblah wrote:

But I don't think he's ever actually complained about any of our activities. Granted, the forum's only been up for a few day, but if those couple of days are any indication, he seems content to let us talk and be merry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cactus_Matt

PostSubject: Re: So what's the philosophy this board has on criticism?   Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:58 am

The Dude wrote:
A Cockatrice wrote:
The Dude wrote:
yakityyakblah wrote:

yakityyakblah wrote:

But I don't think he's ever actually complained about any of our activities. Granted, the forum's only been up for a few day, but if those couple of days are any indication, he seems content to let us talk and be merry.

Well based on the kind of guy Brad is I very much doubt he'll be ruling us with an iron fist...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JustinDP

PostSubject: Re: So what's the philosophy this board has on criticism?   Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:03 pm

The only moderation I've noticed here is Brad deleted one of my posts, and I essentially started the post by saying he's welcome to delete it if he didn't want the info out considering it had to do with blocking ads on blip.tv

Anything related to people discussing Brad's stuff, and all of the other internet reviewers had remained in tact even if it was something about not liking somebody.

I think it mostly depends on how the information is presented.

For example it would be acceptable to say the following:

"I felt the Snob's latest video wasn't very good, as it focused too much on his love of Crystal Pepsi rather than being snobbish as I've enjoyed previously"

This probably wouldn't be accepted or well received by him or the fans:

"I didn't like his video so I hope he gets cancer."

So, so long as you do it like example 1 and less like example 2 I doubt anybody is gonna throw a fit. Though, I can understand you being a little worried. I've read stuff about Spoony's forum that makes it sound like not blindly liking everything is a bannable offense. I don't actually post there though so I can't personally verify.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: So what's the philosophy this board has on criticism?   Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:37 am

JustinDP wrote:
The only moderation I've noticed here is Brad deleted one of my posts, and I essentially started the post by saying he's welcome to delete it if he didn't want the info out considering it had to do with blocking ads on blip.tv

Anything related to people discussing Brad's stuff, and all of the other internet reviewers had remained in tact even if it was something about not liking somebody.

"I felt the Snob's latest video wasn't very good, as it focused too much on his love of Crystal Pepsi rather than being snobbish as I've enjoyed previously"

So, so long as you do it like example 1 and less like example 2 I doubt anybody is gonna throw a fit. Though, I can understand you being a little worried. I've read stuff about Spoony's forum that makes it sound like not blindly liking everything is a bannable offense. I don't actually post there though so I can't personally verify.
I take it Spoony abuses the Banhammer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tobbii

PostSubject: Re: So what's the philosophy this board has on criticism?   Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:58 am

JustinDP wrote:

On Spoony's forum it works like this.

Spoony can take criticism and often change his work based on it. Spoonys more "crazy" fans yell out everyone who attempts to criticize Spoony at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sirtobbii.blogspot.com
yakityyakblah

PostSubject: Re: So what's the philosophy this board has on criticism?   Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:00 am

Spoony treats the ban hammer like his personal ego shield. I understand he probably does get a lot of people that are just being assholes to get a rise out of him, but it's gotten kind of out of control.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: So what's the philosophy this board has on criticism?   Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:05 am

yakityyakblah wrote:
Spoony treats the ban hammer like his personal ego shield. I understand he probably does get a lot of people that are just being assholes to get a rise out of him, but it's gotten kind of out of control.
"Power corrupts", man.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tobbii

PostSubject: Re: So what's the philosophy this board has on criticism?   Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:13 am

yakityyakblah wrote:

That's not the experience I've had with it. But then again, I haven't been to his forum for a little while now.
Back to top Go down
Invisible Crane

PostSubject: Re: So what's the philosophy this board has on criticism?   Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:57 am

I can understand what's being said here, Spoony's forum is a mess of bans and censorship when it comes to criticism (but I've heard Scarlett is more responsible for that than Spoony is). Now as far as I'm concerned I will say there are certain aspects of TGWTG I'm not fond of but I don't go blindly trolling them in such a way that would warrant a ban, if I have something to say I'll say it in a constructive manner. You'll find there are a number of people on the net who chronicle Spoony's banhammer antics though, I hope this forum does not go the same route
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yakityyakblah

PostSubject: Re: So what's the philosophy this board has on criticism?   Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:02 am

Well in all honesty it is his website, he can do what he likes with it. But being unreasonable with fans tends to make you lose fans. I obviously don't know him personally so I can't make any claims about his character, but I do moderate a few different boards and in my experience trying to go all 1984 on the moderation tends to back fire. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Spoony won that mashable award this year, that may be in part because of how he treats his fans. Going into an angry rant that last time he won instead of being gracious to his fans probably didn't help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tobbii

PostSubject: Re: So what's the philosophy this board has on criticism?   Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:15 am

yakityyakblah wrote:
Well in all honesty it is his website, he can do what he likes with it. But being unreasonable with fans tends to make you lose fans. I obviously don't know him personally so I can't make any claims about his character, but I do moderate a few different boards and in my experience trying to go all 1984 on the moderation tends to back fire. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Spoony won that mashable award this year, that may be in part because of how he treats his fans. Going into an angry rant that last time he won instead of being gracious to his fans probably didn't help.

Well the award from last year was not there this year, he was in "web personality" instead, which is heavy competition.

But this is turning in to something for the "All About Spoony" topic.
Back to top Go down
yakityyakblah

PostSubject: Re: So what's the philosophy this board has on criticism?   Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:31 am

Good point, any who glad this place is as laid back as I hoped it would be.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: So what's the philosophy this board has on criticism?   Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:38 am

We'll have to wait until we get mods for the forum. I think the mods here will do a good job of banning/punishing only when completely necessary, as Brad's fans seem to be mature and non-fanboyish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Griff Morivan

PostSubject: Re: So what's the philosophy this board has on criticism?   Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:44 am

In defense of Spoony's forum, I don't actually know for sure how valid that is. See, the thing is, I'm a mod on the Spoony Forum's ventrilo server, and I have never actually seen any of this ultrastrict moderation take place. Not a mod on the forum, mind you. But the only people in the vent that talks about Spoony's overactive banning and so forth are the vent's already known troublemakers and trolls. And the only Forum mod, the owner of the vent, doesn't moderate the boards where criticism would take place.

Hell, I've spoken negative of a Spoony Video before, and it never got deleted. He even quoted me and agreed that it was an issue. Something about a video's lighting, and it was some time ago.

Incidentally, I totally volunteer for some janitorial duties around this joint.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.Morivanism.wordpress.com
yakityyakblah

PostSubject: Re: So what's the philosophy this board has on criticism?   Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:53 am

It's not technical aspects he bans people for. It's more things like say when he changed the intro for that one review, he freaked out because people said they didn't like the new version.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So what's the philosophy this board has on criticism?   

Back to top Go down

So what's the philosophy this board has on criticism?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next