The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

books that should be or could be turned into movies

Go down 
+6
80'sDavid
Tabascofanatikerin
Angie Matera
unimehe
LeMunson
Frank Rizzo
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

books that should be or could be turned into movies Empty
PostSubject: books that should be or could be turned into movies   books that should be or could be turned into movies EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 8:55 am

i'm talking about books we have loved as adults or as kids that haven't been made into films but it'd be interesting how they'd be turned into film. ok here's one "Sideways Stories from wayside school. by Louis Sachar' shit i spelled his last name wrong.

anyways that's one of my favorite books as a kid. that series would be pretty hard to make into a live action film cause the school is built to be 30 stories high with rooms right on top of one another. so doing that in real life would be pretty difficult. there's a few in this great series. my favorite is 'sideways school is falling down'

that's a book where it'd be fun if it was CGI or if pixar made it. in that style per say. another one that'd have to be done that way cause it'd look like shit if it was live action is the 'Bunnicula' books by "James Howe' again a kid's author

but he also did teen books too. another favorite of mine growing up. the dog and cat are friends living in a house. and it's really hard to explain but they talk. and when they have animals talk in films in live action it doesn't always look good.

so either CGI it or pixar it. in that style. i hate CGI but if it's done right i don't mind it. but i don't mind it in say B movies where it's not really suppose to look good either.

terry brooks books would have to be made like the lord of the rings films. where it's live action and they would use CGI in some of the film. if the right person did it, they'd be good films.

another kids author i was going through my kids books recently last night in fact, and that's why i got these kids books on my mind. a great series that'd be fun for film is the 'My Teacher is an alien' series by bruce coville' an author who

i don't think many people have actually heard of. that's all i can think of for now. but does anyone else have any idea's?
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: books that should be or could be turned into movies   books that should be or could be turned into movies EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 10:17 am

Wayside school *was* made into an animated series in 2007, though it differed quite a bit from the books.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: books that should be or could be turned into movies   books that should be or could be turned into movies EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 11:02 am

it was? that i did NOT know to be honest. was it any good?
Back to top Go down
LeMunson

LeMunson

PostSubject: Re: books that should be or could be turned into movies   books that should be or could be turned into movies EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 11:45 am

I'd love to see The Catcher In The Rye if done right, presumably by a good director. With the author dead now, that might be coming eventually.

A bit off-topic, but would anyone else absolutely love for them to do A Series Of Unfortunate Events TV series? The movie kind of sucked, and it's obvious that the only way of getting everything in the books out is in a Game Of Thrones style show.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: books that should be or could be turned into movies   books that should be or could be turned into movies EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 12:26 pm

i doubt they will ever put that into a film since it's got that john lennon connection. and tv shows will be fine as well. i haven't seen that film but wasn't there going to be a series of films or something? but that just didn't happen?

if anyone here is a Piers anthony fan i'd love if they did oh so many of his books. his xanth series for one.

that'd make great movies. or hell even if it was just a tv series for say HBO. kinda like how spawn back in the 90's was on HBO that was a great show. there are some kids books i grew up on i'd love to see as a tv show if it wasn't made into a feature film. or a tv movie. but the thing is i don't want it to look like no shitty ass preschool drawing that a LOT Of cartoons are drawn now.

all the cartoons these days pretty much look like my 5 year old niece and my almost year old nephew drew! that's how bad the animation is now. in short it looks like fucking shit.
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: books that should be or could be turned into movies   books that should be or could be turned into movies EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 8:42 pm

LeMunson wrote:
I'd love to see The Catcher In The Rye if done right, presumably by a good director. With the author dead now, that might be coming eventually.

I've heard mixed things about this. Some sources claim that the estate of J.D Salinger (his widow and daughter) have said that, under no circumstances, will any of Salinger's works (Especially Catcher) be made into a stage show, a TV series, or a movie.

However, other sources claim that, apparently, Salinger's will states that he *would* allow Catcher to be made into a movie after his death, so as to benefit his widow and daughter with the money it would make.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: books that should be or could be turned into movies   books that should be or could be turned into movies EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 1:28 am

i forgot about that Frank, i think what i heard is that he doesn't want it to be made into a film or tv show like you said. at all. i dunno if it was said after lennon was shot or before that. does anyone know?
Back to top Go down
unimehe

PostSubject: Re: books that should be or could be turned into movies   books that should be or could be turned into movies EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 6:16 am

And here I thought I might be the only one to remember "My Teacher is an Alien/Fried My Brains/Glows in the Dark/Flunked The Planet".

Yeah, I totes want to see those as films.

Also, in the realm of kids' books: R.L. Stine's Fear Street books. Especially the Cheerleaders saga.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: books that should be or could be turned into movies   books that should be or could be turned into movies EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 6:25 am

i don't think i read any christopher pike books, i know i used to get some of his books and start them but i can't really recall if i've ever actually finished any of them.

and i'm glad no thrilled that someone other than me has heard of the great Bruce Coville.

there's also a kids book called "Ghost a la mode' where a kid befriends a ghost. to my knowledge they only did 2 books

and i forget if that title is the 1st one or the 2nd one but that would make a fun film.
Back to top Go down
unimehe

PostSubject: Re: books that should be or could be turned into movies   books that should be or could be turned into movies EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 7:10 am

wildhoney66 wrote:
i don't think i read any christopher pike books, i know i used to get some of his books and start them but i can't really recall if i've ever actually finished any of them.

and i'm glad no thrilled that someone other than me has heard of the great Bruce Coville.

there's also a kids book called "Ghost a la mode' where a kid befriends a ghost. to my knowledge they only did 2 books

and i forget if that title is the 1st one or the 2nd one but that would make a fun film.

Christopher Pike actually had one of his books made into a tv movie, starring Tatyana Ali and the late Johnathan Brandis. I've looked for it everywhere. Can't find it.
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: books that should be or could be turned into movies   books that should be or could be turned into movies EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 8:32 am

i'm sure you can find it someplace. hell request it my friend.
Back to top Go down
unimehe

PostSubject: Re: books that should be or could be turned into movies   books that should be or could be turned into movies EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 3:37 am

wildhoney66 wrote:
i'm sure you can find it someplace. hell request it my friend.
So I did some hunting and found fall into darkness on the YouTube. I'm excited!
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: books that should be or could be turned into movies   books that should be or could be turned into movies EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 8:05 am

NICE, i didn't expect you to find it THAT fast but sweet.
Back to top Go down
Toyland Chairman

Toyland Chairman

PostSubject: Re: books that should be or could be turned into movies   books that should be or could be turned into movies EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 6:25 am

It's just me, but a more faithful adaptation of PLANET OF THE APES if it counts. And I'd like to see some elements from the non-Fleming novels made into Bond movies. It's just weird they haven't done that yet.

Roger Moore's biography MY WORD IS MY BOND was apparently going to be made with Johnny Depp. Not sure what happened with it. I would've liked to see that actually.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/
Angie Matera

Angie Matera

PostSubject: Re: books that should be or could be turned into movies   books that should be or could be turned into movies EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 7:37 am

id like to see movies of some of Joe Hills work. ther Lock and key or Heart shaped box
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/angelina.matera
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: books that should be or could be turned into movies   books that should be or could be turned into movies EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 7:47 am

actually that doesn't sound like a bad idea if they used the book for it's source. and i believe they were going do that way back when but just didn't have the budget or the techonology back than. so it's doable now. but there also is the thing that nobody wants a remake of the original film. i've never read the book so i dunno how different it was just that the setting is way different than the sets that were used in the original film.
Back to top Go down
Angie Matera

Angie Matera

PostSubject: Re: books that should be or could be turned into movies   books that should be or could be turned into movies EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 8:05 am

i never read the book ether but if they do decide to do another planet of the apes but closer to the book that probally wouldnt be for along time since Rise is suppose to be the start of a new series. unless it would still work as a sequal. s it true that Tim burtons mess of a remake is acutally closer?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/angelina.matera
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: books that should be or could be turned into movies   books that should be or could be turned into movies EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 8:11 am

they are making a new one it comes out next year and will shoot i think this summer? it's called Dawn something i think?

look it up on IMDB i forget the actual title. Franco isn't going to be in it though
Back to top Go down
Toyland Chairman

Toyland Chairman

PostSubject: Re: books that should be or could be turned into movies   books that should be or could be turned into movies EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 8:19 am

DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES is coming, and then a third. It's probably too soon for the Taylor storyline, but I would not be surprised is someday down the line this continuity results in a remake.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

In the novel THE MONKEY PLANET, the ape world was not earth, they spoke a different language, and the apes lived in modern cities (guns, cars, buildings, etc.) Some ideas, such as the ape slaves origin did make it into the sequels, though.

Last edited by Toyland Chairman on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wildhoney66

wildhoney66

PostSubject: Re: books that should be or could be turned into movies   books that should be or could be turned into movies EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 8:20 am

ahh thank you.
Back to top Go down
Tabascofanatikerin

Tabascofanatikerin

PostSubject: Re: books that should be or could be turned into movies   books that should be or could be turned into movies EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 2:36 am

I can only think of one book that would turn out interesting as a movie: It's "Making History" by Stephen Fry.
This story contains parallel universes, changing history by preventing Adolf Hitler's birth, British humour and a gay romance.
I was excited about the book and I still am. And when I turned on my inner head-cinema I imagined that - if done right - this could also look well as a movie.
Back to top Go down
http://tabascofanatikerin.deviantart.com
80'sDavid

80'sDavid

PostSubject: Re: books that should be or could be turned into movies   books that should be or could be turned into movies EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 7:39 pm

"As I Lay Dying" by William Faulkner is one of my favourite books and I'd love to see an adaptation by the Coen brothers. I think they'd be able to inject just the right mix of Gothicism and dark humour to pull it off. Paul Thomas Anderson might also do a good job of it.

I think a lot more of Philip K Dick's work could be used as the source for very interesting Science fiction movies. "Ubik" and "The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch" in particular, though they'd have to be handled artfully and not diluted into mindless blockbusters. Keeping on the sci-fi theme I think Alfred Bester's "The Stars My Destination" has the potential to be adapted into an awesome film.

Horror-wise I'd love to see some of Ramsey Campbells short stories expanded into movies. He's fast becoming my favourite horror writer; Strange, understated stories with an emphasis on atmosphere (something I think would translate wonderfully to a visual format) that often build to genuinely terrifying and unique endings. In fact It'd be great to see an anthology of Campbell adaptations, it could be fairly cheap to make too as most of the tales make use of basic urban or rural environments. Stories like "Mackintosh Willy", "Call First", "Again", "The Companion" and "In The Trees" could make extremely effective short films.

Back to top Go down
http://thepeoplewholooklikebrianlewis.blogspot.co.uk
ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory

PostSubject: Re: books that should be or could be turned into movies   books that should be or could be turned into movies EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 1:16 am

I would love to see a movie of Pope Brock's CHARLATAN, or at least the events that it's about. I think somebody like Paul Thomas Anderson or Steve McQueen could really do that material justice.
I'd also love to see someone take a crack at Dan Simmons' THE TERROR, although that would probably work better as a miniseries. SUMMER OF NIGHT could be good too.
Back to top Go down
http://anxietycloset.storenvy.com
Toyland Chairman

Toyland Chairman

PostSubject: Re: books that should be or could be turned into movies   books that should be or could be turned into movies EmptySun Nov 23, 2014 1:54 am

Robert Bloch's sequel novels PSYCHO 2 and PSYCHO HOUSE.
Back to top Go down
AstaKask

AstaKask

PostSubject: Re: books that should be or could be turned into movies   books that should be or could be turned into movies EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 2:43 pm

Oh, for a good adaptation of The Dark is Rising series.

And of course, Morgan Freeman reading the phone book. Just to see if it would be as exciting as everyone says it would be.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: books that should be or could be turned into movies   books that should be or could be turned into movies Empty

Back to top Go down

books that should be or could be turned into movies
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next