The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

WW2 Imperial Japanese Anime

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Otaku4Life

Otaku4Life

WW2 Imperial Japanese Anime Empty
PostSubject: WW2 Imperial Japanese Anime   WW2 Imperial Japanese Anime EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 8:02 pm

After watching Brad's new video of Sarah watching "Bugs Bunny Nips The Nips", I asked myself a question.
"What's the name of the first motion-length anime ever made?"
It was the Imperial Japanese propaganda film "Momotaro's Divine Sea Warriors".
The animation was influenced by Disney's "Fantasia".
During the American occupation of Japan, the film was confiscated and burnt.
It was known to be lost until one surviving negative was discovered in a warehouse in 1983.
It was re-released in 1984 and is still available on VHS in Japan.
This proves that during harsh times like war, there will always be some kind of propaganda on both sides of the battle.

Last edited by Otaku4Life on Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:42 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
jaltesorensen

jaltesorensen

PostSubject: Re: WW2 Imperial Japanese Anime   WW2 Imperial Japanese Anime EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 1:45 am

It's always fascinating to watch WW2 propaganda movies. Just to watch the distorted views different parts of the world have of each other, based on lack of information, the policy of the country and the political situation (war-time). Ive seen many of the american propaganda movies, but never japanese ones. So i will give this a watch, when i get the time (it's running time is too long for casual view).

Speaking of japanese movies, i would love to see the 1933 japanese remake of King Kong:

WW2 Imperial Japanese Anime Kingkongedo38

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasei_Kingu_Kongu

But im afraid it is lost forever.
Back to top Go down
Otaku4Life

Otaku4Life

PostSubject: Re: WW2 Imperial Japanese Anime   WW2 Imperial Japanese Anime EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 2:58 am

jaltesorensen wrote:

Speaking of japanese movies, i would love to see the 1933 japanese remake of King Kong:

There's a rumor saying that the Japanese King Kong remake was unknowingly destroyed by us Americans when we dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima.

I hope that there will be another negitive hidden away somewhere.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: WW2 Imperial Japanese Anime   WW2 Imperial Japanese Anime EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 3:09 am

Otaku4Life wrote:
jaltesorensen wrote:

There's a rumor saying that the Japanese King Kong remake was unknowingly destroyed by us Americans when we dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima.

I hope that there will be another negitive hidden away somewhere.
More likely it was destroyed in a raid on Tokyo, assuming it ever actually existed at all; there are some flm historians who don't believe the movie was ever made in the first place, owing to the lack of documentation about it. I think the evidence it ever existed are a couple of stills and an obscure newspaper advertisement.

Either way, finding a copy of Japanese King Kong is even less likely than finding a copy of London After Midnight.
Back to top Go down
Otaku4Life

Otaku4Life

PostSubject: Re: WW2 Imperial Japanese Anime   WW2 Imperial Japanese Anime EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 3:27 am

There's also some critically acclaimed pre-WW2 propoganda films according to Wikipedia such as "Triumph of the Will" from Nazi Germany and "The Battleship Potemkin" from the Soviet Union.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_movies#Propaganda

Disney aslo had some classic WW2 anti-war propaganda films such as "Der Feuher's Face", "Education For Death", "Reason & Emotion" and others.

Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: WW2 Imperial Japanese Anime   WW2 Imperial Japanese Anime EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 3:32 am

Don't forget Russian Rhapsody.

Back to top Go down
Otaku4Life

Otaku4Life

PostSubject: Re: WW2 Imperial Japanese Anime   WW2 Imperial Japanese Anime EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 3:47 am

Of all the WW2 cartoons made by Warner Bros, this is my favorite out of the bunch.
Back to top Go down
LeMunson

LeMunson

PostSubject: Re: WW2 Imperial Japanese Anime   WW2 Imperial Japanese Anime EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 7:40 am

I have been interested in that film a while, I remember reading that the director just died two years ago. It's pretty unbelievable that someone as innovative, I suppose (there's probably a better word), had evaded the limelight almost completely in this age of anime popularity.

There's a torrent of it if anyone else is like me, and hates watching things on youtube.
Back to top Go down
enemycoke

enemycoke

PostSubject: Re: WW2 Imperial Japanese Anime   WW2 Imperial Japanese Anime EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 4:45 pm

I've always loved the idea of propaganda cartoons
The idea of taking something silly like bugs bunny and having him murder the entire fleet just tickles me.
I mean just imagine if you went to the movies now and saw mickey mouse spelunking only to fine Taliban members in an underground caves
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WW2 Imperial Japanese Anime   WW2 Imperial Japanese Anime Empty

Back to top Go down

WW2 Imperial Japanese Anime
Page 1 of 1