Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23 ... 41  Next
AuthorMessage
UnknownKadath

Location : I live in my namesake, of course!.. Okay, in real life - Japan.

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:45 pm

Son Of Jack Deth wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:
M - A very good film which is not too dated considering when it was made. Pretty atmospheric and chilling.

Birdemic (Rifftrax version) - I like Rifftrax. I've seen Birdemic. Why not?

M has such a modern feel for a film so old. I truly believe you could film that exact same script today and it would be just as powerful and timely.

Possibly, but please don't give Hollywood any ideas. Not to say they couldn't do it right but I'm still sick of remakes.

Tommy Wiseau wrote:

I actually have yet to check out a Rifftrax. I've wanted to for awhile. Is it worth sitting through that Garbage again to hear said riff? Birdemic was just... awful. Really, really awful. If the Riff is good though I'd be willing to sit through it again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:40 am

UnknownKadath wrote:
Son Of Jack Deth wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:
M - A very good film which is not too dated considering when it was made. Pretty atmospheric and chilling.

M has such a modern feel for a film so old. I truly believe you could film that exact same script today and it would be just as powerful and timely.

Possibly, but please don't give Hollywood any ideas. Not to say they couldn't do it right but I'm still sick of remakes.

Tommy Wiseau wrote:

I actually have yet to check out a Rifftrax. I've wanted to for awhile. Is it worth sitting through that Garbage again to hear said riff? Birdemic was just... awful. Really, really awful. If the Riff is good though I'd be willing to sit through it again.

Usually rifftrax are worth sitting through, but they usually only make the film sort of entertaining. There's a few good movies that have riffs, like the original Willy Wonka. But the funniest riff I've ever seen is for The Room, so I'd suggest that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:01 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:
Son Of Jack Deth wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:

Tommy Wiseau wrote:

Usually rifftrax are worth sitting through, but they usually only make the film sort of entertaining. There's a few good movies that have riffs, like the original Willy Wonka. But the funniest riff I've ever seen is for The Room, so I'd suggest that.

Heh, I might check that out. "The Room" is one of the ones that my theatre has adopted as a cult thing, having gatherings with a shadow-cast and people in the audience having fun with the movie. Obviously that stuff started with Rocky Horror, and since "Troll 2" and "The Room" started getting lots of attention - they've been picked up too. RHPS will always reign supreme (Plus it's a better movie on its own personal merits, but that's besides the point.) but there's a lot of fun to be had; especially Troll 2. My wife played Creedence at the most recent showing and had a blast hamming it up. We haven't actually been involved with The Room yet, but we've been contributors to the RHPS Shadow cast for a few years, playing Riff-Raff and Magenta. Well, usually. Last year she talked me into playing Dr. Frank'n'furter since our regular got sick. Plus I think she had some creepy desire to see me dressed as Frankie. Suspect

*ahem*

Anyways. Finally saw the remake of True Grit, dunno why it took so damn long to end up here...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:07 am

UnknownKadath wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:
Son Of Jack Deth wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:

Tommy Wiseau wrote:

Heh, I might check that out. "The Room" is one of the ones that my theatre has adopted as a cult thing, having gatherings with a shadow-cast and people in the audience having fun with the movie. Obviously that stuff started with Rocky Horror, and since "Troll 2" and "The Room" started getting lots of attention - they've been picked up too. RHPS will always reign supreme (Plus it's a better movie on its own personal merits, but that's besides the point.) but there's a lot of fun to be had; especially Troll 2. My wife played Creedence at the most recent showing and had a blast hamming it up. We haven't actually been involved with The Room yet, but we've been contributors to the RHPS Shadow cast for a few years, playing Riff-Raff and Magenta. Well, usually. Last year she talked me into playing Dr. Frank'n'furter since our regular got sick. Plus I think she had some creepy desire to see me dressed as Frankie. Suspect

RHPS is a fun movie, but it's not really worth comparing to The Room. Aside from being cult classics, they're entertaining in their own merits.

If you're interesting in seeing The Room, don't watch it in the theatre the first time. With all the crowd noise, it's near impossible to make out the lines. However, for Room obsessives like myself, it's incredibly entertaining at a midnight screening.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:16 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:
Son Of Jack Deth wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:

Tommy Wiseau wrote:

RHPS is a fun movie, but it's not really worth comparing to The Room. Aside from being cult classics, they're entertaining in their own merits.

If you're interesting in seeing The Room, don't watch it in the theatre the first time. With all the crowd noise, it's near impossible to make out the lines. However, for Room obsessives like myself, it's incredibly entertaining at a midnight screening.

I'm not comparing it to The Room, really besides the cult experience. Like I said, I honestly feel that RHPS on its own merits is superior. I have seen The Room without the audience participation, in fact the first few times it was shown at my theatre - the only time the audience said anything is they all shouted "YOU'RE TEARING ME APART!" Otherwise it was a straight showing. I was also one of the people to suggest The Room to be played there, actually. My wife & I watched it just out of curiosity after hearing claims of "WORST MOVIE EVAR," and we had a laugh with it and once she, a few friends and I suggested it for a cult showing - they tested it out one midnight, and there was actually a pre-built audience so it worked out well.

It was only about 4 or 5 months later that audience participation started happening when we did our 3rd showing after getting a buttload of requests for it; that was also around the time the NC reviewed it, actually.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:53 am

UnknownKadath wrote:

Like I said, I honestly feel that RHPS on its own merits is superior.
Just out of curiosity, do you mean as a movie, or as an experience? I'm not arguing your opinion or anything, but I think it's pretty obvious RHPS is a better movie.
Quote :
It was only about 4 or 5 months later that audience participation started happening when we did our 3rd showing after getting a buttload of requests for it; that was also around the time the NC reviewed it, actually.

Coincidence? I think not...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:05 pm

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:

Just out of curiosity, do you mean as a movie, or as an experience? I'm not arguing your opinion or anything, but I think it's pretty obvious RHPS is a better movie.

Yeah, I meant 'as a movie.'

On topic, just watched Paprika. Love that movie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:46 am

UnknownKadath wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:

Been meaning to see it. Looks pretty funky.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:40 am

The Dude wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:

Been meaning to see it. Looks pretty funky.

It's really good. I'm a fan of Satoshi Kon, I was quite sad when he passed. I'm often a bit overtly critical regarding the actual "animation" quality of a lot of Japanese animated movies/shows, and while that's really nitpicking when it comes to whether or not I actually like the movie I still often hate how stiff or awkward a lot of it appears to me. Whenever a facial expression is superimposed over the characters face, I get annoyed. There are exceptions like Miyazaki but for me Kon was arguably the best animator in that regard, his movies were so beautiful and everything flowed.

Plus it helps that the movies he made were very enjoyable as well. Paprika is probably my favourite of his, because I have an ardent love of mind-fuckery and psychology; even though I fear psychiatrists. Except my wife of course. Paprika is more or less about a machine that lets people go into their own dreams, and how it later gets fucked up and causes their dreams to take control of them until they actually become real. The concept is pretty damn cool, really.

I think another reason I love it though is the eponymous character of Paprika. She's quite literally a creature born of pure ID, and she treats dreams like movies. I love the way her character is portrayed, and the way she interacts with herself in the real world is interesting. I think she's one of the most memorable female protagonists in recent memory.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:46 pm

From Dusk Till Dawn.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:55 pm

The Dude wrote:
From Dusk Till Dawn.

I've always had mixed feelings on that; kinda feels like they Frankensteined the beginning of one movie with the middle and end parts of another. I did definitely enjoy the majority of the film though, it just began unpleasant and weird for me and it was somewhat jarring to have a huge switch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:00 am

UnknownKadath wrote:
The Dude wrote:
From Dusk Till Dawn.

I've always had mixed feelings on that; kinda feels like they Frankensteined the beginning of one movie with the middle and end parts of another. I did definitely enjoy the majority of the film though, it just began unpleasant and weird for me and it was somewhat jarring to have a huge switch.
I kind of dug it. They set it up like it's going to be a crime film, with some dark humor, but then all of a sudden, fucking vampires. I appreciate movies that realize how ridiculous they are.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:46 am

The Dude wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:
The Dude wrote:
From Dusk Till Dawn.

I kind of dug it. They set it up like it's going to be a crime film, with some dark humor, but then all of a sudden, fucking vampires. I appreciate movies that realize how ridiculous they are.

Like I said, the opening actually genuinely bothered me. Then again the way they let on to what Quentin's character did to their hostage really upset me, that's a topic that bugs me and when they flashed the corpse - no matter how instantaneous it got to me a little. I know that's strange, but it just did. Still, love the rest though.

I have not watched a movie in over a day and a half. A new record. It'll be broken tonight though since I have shift at the theatre tonight. They're playing "Enter the Void" I think, don't really know anything about it but I usually watch whatever they play; if I'm not interested or don't like it though I can just read while making sure our old ass projector doesn't explode.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mondo a Go-Go

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:21 am

Foxy Brown. It really works better as a Coffy sequel; I'm sad AIP changed it at the last second.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:32 am

UnknownKadath wrote:
The Dude wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:
The Dude wrote:
From Dusk Till Dawn.

Like I said, the opening actually genuinely bothered me. Then again the way they let on to what Quentin's character did to their hostage really upset me, that's a topic that bugs me and when they flashed the corpse - no matter how instantaneous it got to me a little. I know that's strange, but it just did. Still, love the rest though.

I give Rodriguez credit for that scene. He handled it a way that still made the subject as disturbing as it should be, be was tasteful enough to prevent it from being exploitative.

UnknownKadath wrote:

I have not watched a movie in over a day and a half. A new record. It'll be broken tonight though since I have shift at the theatre tonight. They're playing "Enter the Void" I think, don't really know anything about it but I usually watch whatever they play; if I'm not interested or don't like it though I can just read while making sure our old ass projector doesn't explode.
I just read about Enter the Void today. It's by the same guy who did Irreversible. It centers around a drug user who dies as a result of a deal-gone-sour, and then follows his "Ghost" in a psychedelic exploration of the afterlife. Looks legit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Angie Matera

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:45 pm

i watched a bunch Push start (the ed glaser film), Hill run red,meet the choppaheads,The burning,Judgement night, and the pest all in one sitting. all of them were entertaining cept the pest that sucked. sat through all these cause ive been sick with hay fever Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/angelina.matera
Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:06 pm

I dunno, to me John Leguizamo is pretty funny.

He managed to give me the only chuckles I got from watching Super Mario Brothers even.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:18 am

Swing Kids
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:01 am

The Dude wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:
The Dude wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:
The Dude wrote:
From Dusk Till Dawn.

I give Rodriguez credit for that scene. He handled it a way that still made the subject as disturbing as it should be, be was tasteful enough to prevent it from being exploitative.

I didn't feel it was pushing it, really; but you have to realize I'm really sensitive to it. Even Bergman's "Virgin Spring" kind of made me wince a little and it's on the tame end of the spectrum - especially seeing as it was "remade" (Read: Fucked up) into Last House on the Left (Though I don't hate it as much as it might sound; but I am not and never will be a fan.) and even worse re-re-fucked up by "Chaos," probably the only one of the lot where I actually question the real life moral merits of the people who made it.

UnknownKadath wrote:

I just read about Enter the Void today. It's by the same guy who did Irreversible. It centers around a drug user who dies as a result of a deal-gone-sour, and then follows his "Ghost" in a psychedelic exploration of the afterlife. Looks legit.

It was alright. It certainly had energy, and while it took a lot of pushing from my wife to see Irreversible all the way through (You can guess why as mentioned above; thankfully the skip button helped when she convinced me to retry) I suppose I liked the way it was made; and this Gasper Noel fellow is an interesting director. Can't say I'm going to start keeping an eye out for his flicks because at times the way he pushes certain subjects feels pretentious (And this is from someone who farts on all day about movies like "Stalker" and "The Wall.") and honestly kind of mean spirited. Decent and unique enough though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:55 am

UnknownKadath wrote:
It was alright. It certainly had energy, and while it took a lot of pushing from my wife to see Irreversible all the way through (You can guess why as mentioned above; thankfully the skip button helped when she convinced me to retry) I suppose I liked the way it was made; and this Gasper Noel fellow is an interesting director. Can't say I'm going to start keeping an eye out for his flicks because at times the way he pushes certain subjects feels pretentious (And this is from someone who farts on all day about movies like "Stalker" and "The Wall.") and honestly kind of mean spirited. Decent and unique enough though.
I've heard Noel described as a provocateur, which given the subject matter of his films, seems to fit the bill. I wouldn't call his work means spirited, however. I appreciate the fact that there are still folks who are willing to push envelopes, regardless of whatever range of negative responses they may garner; it shows that they're unwilling to back down to popular conception of what is "allowed", and by doing so, may inspire others who are less assured to pursue their own ideas. /digression.

Oh, and I almost forgot: The last movie I watched was A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:03 am

The Dude wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:
I've heard Noel described as a provocateur, which given the subject matter of his films, seems to fit the bill. I wouldn't call his work means spirited, however. I appreciate the fact that there are still folks who are willing to push envelopes, regardless of whatever range of negative responses they may garner; it shows that they're unwilling to back down to popular conception of what is "allowed", and by doing so, may inspire others who are less assured to pursue their own ideas. /digression.

Oh, and I almost forgot: The last movie I watched was A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge.

I don't totally disagree with what you said. When I used the term "Mean Spirited" though, there felt a few times in the movies I've seen of his that just feel like an attack - the thing is, they're actually the less "provocative" moments usually. It's hard to explain, but the way some characters acted in "In The Void" had this weird undertone that felt as though Gasper was injecting the ideal that those people were unsavable cads - y'know, just like you. They just all felt like projections of "Standard Folk," presented as though standard folk have no potential in the world at all.

Freddy's Revenge is probably the Nightmare I'm most indifferent too. It just feels lukewarm to me, not as awful as some people feel though. I can't say I see it as the worst of the series like a lot of people I know do. I think that honor goes to... oh fuck, what was the one that was done by the same person who did bloody Tank Girl? I think it was the Sixth one; can't remember.

Also just watched Peter Rottentail on a dare. I have a vendetta against the Polonia Brothers and vowed to never watch their spunk again, but dammit 60 dollars was worth it. Kind of. I better get some good mileage out of that 60 because every time I watch a Polonia Bros. movie, I literally dig into my skin and come out looking like a human transformed into a giant half peeled onion.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:45 am

UnknownKadath wrote:
I don't totally disagree with what you said. When I used the term "Mean Spirited" though, there felt a few times in the movies I've seen of his that just feel like an attack - the thing is, they're actually the less "provocative" moments usually. It's hard to explain, but the way some characters acted in "In The Void" had this weird undertone that felt as though Gasper was injecting the ideal that those people were unsavable cads - y'know, just like you. They just all felt like projections of "Standard Folk," presented as though standard folk have no potential in the world at all.

Well, I've yet to actually see the movie, but it did seem pretty pretentious, so I think have a feeling of what your getting at.

UnknownKadath wrote:
Freddy's Revenge is probably the Nightmare I'm most indifferent too. It just feels lukewarm to me, not as awful as some people feel though. I can't say I see it as the worst of the series like a lot of people I know do. I think that honor goes to... oh fuck, what was the one that was done by the same person who did bloody Tank Girl? I think it was the Sixth one; can't remember.

If you were to view Nightmare 2 as a straight genre piece, it would undeniably be a failure. I looked at it more as a horror comedy, in which respect I felt it worked pretty well. Parallels with Evil Dead II come to mind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:49 am

Just watched Prince of Darkness. The front end was a pretty exposition heavy, which I wouldn't have minded as much if more than about a fifth of it ended up being relevant. At the half-way point or so, however, things started to pick up, and it had some pretty worthwhile moments. I also dug the ending.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:37 pm

The Dude wrote:
Just watched Prince of Darkness. The front end was a pretty exposition heavy, which I wouldn't have minded as much if more than about a fifth of it ended up being relevant. At the half-way point or so, however, things started to pick up, and it had some pretty worthwhile moments. I also dug the ending.

Prince of Darkness was alright, yeh. Not Carpenter's best of the 80s though.

The Dude wrote:
If you were to view Nightmare 2 as a straight genre piece, it would undeniably be a failure. I looked at it more as a horror comedy, in which respect I felt it worked pretty well. Parallels with Evil Dead II come to mind.

I guess, though honestly I feel that Evil Dead II is superior in both regards. Far superior. Speaking of which, I'm one of only 5 people in the whole universe who was actually creeped out by the first Evil Dead.

Just watched Bleeders.

*facepalm*

I know that Re-Animator and From Beyond were fairly popular and damn fun films on their own merits, but why does every goddamn attempt at adapting an H.P. Lovecraft story have to follow the more gore and silliness road? This was honestly one of the worst, at least they changed the name (It was based on "The Lurking Fear.") so that those who don't do any research won't have to complain about how it fucks up H.P. Lovecrafts work, like I did. Jesus christ this was a bad movie. I should've entered it in that bad movie contest, though if we ever have a second round I shall throw it in. The only real redeemable aspect for me was that Rutger Hauer was in it, and I do admit the bit with the pickled foetus "aphrodisiac" was genuinely disturbing to some degree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:03 am

UnknownKadath wrote:
The Dude wrote:

I guess, though honestly I feel that Evil Dead II is superior in both regards. Far superior. Speaking of which, I'm one of only 5 people in the whole universe who was actually creeped out by the first Evil Dead.
To clarify, I'm not saying Freddy's Revenge was better than Evil Dead II, just that both movies are similar in tone, and set the tone for the following entries in their respective franchises.

Also, Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead. Enjoyed it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Was The Last Movie You Watched?   

Back to top Go down

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 41Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23 ... 41  Next