The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Read anything good lately?

Go down 
+10
Kaneda
Mondo a Go-Go
MagnaRyu
relauby
Loxx O)))
Slait
bloodypitofhorror
The Original Greaser Bob
Cactus_Matt
JennyWoreBlack
14 posters
AuthorMessage
JennyWoreBlack

JennyWoreBlack

Read anything good lately? Empty
PostSubject: Read anything good lately?   Read anything good lately? EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 3:44 pm

We've branched into talking about books in the TV thread (albeit pretty terrible pre-teen R.L. Stein books) so I thought I would make a new thread to discuss books if anyone's interested.

My favorite author at the moment is Peter Straub and I'm currently reading Joe Hill's 20th Century Ghosts.

What is everyone reading? Any good suggestions?
Back to top Go down
http://bobenny.us
Cactus_Matt

Cactus_Matt

PostSubject: Re: Read anything good lately?   Read anything good lately? EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 4:20 pm

I prefer to write not read but my favourite novel is The Name Of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, it's so enthralling and emotional. I could read it forever.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Read anything good lately?   Read anything good lately? EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 8:27 pm

JennyWoreBlack wrote:
We've branched into talking about books in the TV thread (albeit pretty terrible pre-teen R.L. Stein books)
Heresy, I say.
Back to top Go down
bloodypitofhorror

bloodypitofhorror

PostSubject: Re: Read anything good lately?   Read anything good lately? EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 8:32 pm

I'm reading Duma Key by Stephen King. Which then I have to admit that I am the biggest Stephen King fangirl on the planet.
Back to top Go down
http://bloodypitofreviews.blogspot.com
Slait

Slait

PostSubject: Re: Read anything good lately?   Read anything good lately? EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 8:35 pm

I read a lot of different stuff, but my favorite's the Forgotten Realms section of books. My favorites so far being War of the Spider Queen, The Lady Penitent, The Storm Dragon Chronicles, and Darksun: Prism Pentad.

And yes, I will admit the writing is no where near perfection. But let me have my trash. =P Currently about halfway through the first Lady Penitent.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Read anything good lately?   Read anything good lately? EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 9:30 pm

Not long ago I read the first two books in the Hitchhiker's Guide series. Pretty groovy.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

PostSubject: Re: Read anything good lately?   Read anything good lately? EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 1:09 am

Dante Alighieri's Inferno at the moment.

And I've actually been reading a modern version of Inferno to my girlfriend on the phone at night.
Back to top Go down
relauby

relauby

PostSubject: Re: Read anything good lately?   Read anything good lately? EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 3:35 am

I don't read a lot of books, but I read Yahtzee's Mogworld recently. It's actually really good, considering I was just expecting something funny to laugh at, but I got a lot more.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Read anything good lately?   Read anything good lately? EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 6:37 am

I'm also a big Kurt Vonnegut fan.
Back to top Go down
MagnaRyu

MagnaRyu

PostSubject: Re: Read anything good lately?   Read anything good lately? EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 6:50 am

I'm currently reading the new series of Elric of Melnibone' series by Michael Moorcock and in a few days i am going to go pick up a copy of the first 11th Doctor book written by Michael Moorcock
Back to top Go down
Mondo a Go-Go

Mondo a Go-Go

PostSubject: Re: Read anything good lately?   Read anything good lately? EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 8:54 pm

I, Claudius is very good. It's not as pretentious as it sounds, and it ends with the reign of Caligula, which actually makes him even crazier than in the movie. Add in evil old ladies, the most dysfunctional family in history, and Tiberius being Tiberius, and there you have it.
Back to top Go down
Kaneda

Kaneda

PostSubject: Re: Read anything good lately?   Read anything good lately? EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 10:02 pm

I read through Grant Morrison's Batman and Robin. I can't wait to get my hands on Batman: The return of Bruce Wayne after reading that.
Back to top Go down
Eckertmania

Eckertmania

PostSubject: Re: Read anything good lately?   Read anything good lately? EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 10:34 pm

Kaneda wrote:
I read through Grant Morrison's Batman and Robin. I can't wait to get my hands on Batman: The return of Bruce Wayne after reading that.

Oh, man, you will LOVE RoBW if you liked Batman and Robin! I also suggest reading everything else Morrison has written. I should also mention that Morrison is my favorite writer (not just comic books, either).
Back to top Go down
http://asliceomind.wordpress.com/
Thecigarsnob

Thecigarsnob

PostSubject: Re: Read anything good lately?   Read anything good lately? EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 2:42 am

i haven't read it since high school, so lately i began re-reading fahrenheight 451...

this is a boook that should be produced into a movie, not remaking old tv shows or rebooting spiderman!
Back to top Go down
http://jasonknightonline.com
TobyMobias

TobyMobias

PostSubject: Re: Read anything good lately?   Read anything good lately? EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 5:20 am

The Leviathan Trilogy (Leviathan, Behemoth, and Goliath) by Scott Westerfeld is pretty good. Admittedly, I haven't read Goliath yet, but I intend to very soon, and the first two books are great.
Back to top Go down
http://blip.tv/masterpiecefanfic
Mongoose

Mongoose

PostSubject: Re: Read anything good lately?   Read anything good lately? EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 5:55 am

Well I am re-reading the dark tower series, and getting started on Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash, and Anathem. From what I've heard, Anathem's "near-English" language is almost if not more confusing as A Clockwork Orange's......Shit.
Back to top Go down
JennyWoreBlack

JennyWoreBlack

PostSubject: Re: Read anything good lately?   Read anything good lately? EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 8:15 am

Thecigarsnob wrote:
i haven't read it since high school, so lately i began re-reading fahrenheight 451...

this is a boook that should be produced into a movie, not remaking old tv shows or rebooting spiderman!

They made a it into a movie in the 60's. The idea of a modern remake would make me very nervous and I would expect it to come out something like The Time Machine remake. * Shudders *
Back to top Go down
http://bobenny.us
Loxx O)))

Loxx O)))

PostSubject: Re: Read anything good lately?   Read anything good lately? EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 8:22 am

I think the lady and I will start Escape From Hell by Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven tonight. It's the sequel to the aforementioned modern day Inferno.
Back to top Go down
Thecigarsnob

Thecigarsnob

PostSubject: Re: Read anything good lately?   Read anything good lately? EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 8:24 am

JennyWoreBlack wrote:
Thecigarsnob wrote:

They made a it into a movie in the 60's. The idea of a modern remake would make me very nervous and I would expect it to come out something like The Time Machine remake. * Shudders *

yeah, i have a big box VHS copy of the '60's movie, i was talking about how a movie today should be done, and done right!

there was rumors about a version that tom cruise was producing, but never made it out of pre-production.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Read anything good lately?   Read anything good lately? EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 1:40 pm

Thecigarsnob wrote:
JennyWoreBlack wrote:
Thecigarsnob wrote:

yeah, i have a big box VHS copy of the '60's movie, i was talking about how a movie today should be done, and done right!

there was rumors about a version that tom cruise was producing, but never made it out of pre-production.
I could make a Scientology joke there,but it would probably be too easy.
Back to top Go down
Thecigarsnob

Thecigarsnob

PostSubject: Re: Read anything good lately?   Read anything good lately? EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 1:43 pm

just thinking about it, i would like to see Brad and the crew produce their version of a story like Fahrenheight 451.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Read anything good lately?   Read anything good lately? EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 1:47 pm

Thecigarsnob wrote:
just thinking about it, i would like to see Brad and the crew produce their version of a story like Fahrenheight 451.
They'd be fighting an uphill battle for sure. in the past, Fahrenheit has always proven t be a difficult novel to adapt well.
Back to top Go down
Thecigarsnob

Thecigarsnob

PostSubject: Re: Read anything good lately?   Read anything good lately? EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 2:11 pm

The Dude wrote:
Thecigarsnob wrote:
They'd be fighting an uphill battle for sure. in the past, Fahrenheit has always proven t be a difficult novel to adapt well.

true,

then again i thought the same towards I, Robot. although i didn't care much for will smith in that role.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Read anything good lately?   Read anything good lately? EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 2:14 pm

Thecigarsnob wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Thecigarsnob wrote:

true,

then again i thought the same towards I, Robot. although i didn't care much for will smith in that role.
I'm still not sure how I feel about that movie.
Back to top Go down
Thecigarsnob

Thecigarsnob

PostSubject: Re: Read anything good lately?   Read anything good lately? EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 2:22 pm

The Dude wrote:
Thecigarsnob wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Thecigarsnob wrote:

true,

I'm still not sure how I feel about that movie.

i'm torn..

i didn't like the way the story was told and wished a better studio and director would have done the film real justice. it was just another money cashing in on will smith's fame while it lasted.

but then on the other hand, I, Robot and fahrenheit 451 were both in development hell for far too long and to actually see one of those 2 films make to the big screen was better than nothing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Read anything good lately?   Read anything good lately? Empty

Back to top Go down

Read anything good lately?
Page 1 of 1