The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Crossovers!

Go down 
+10
The Man in Black
ermac
yakityyakblah
Salim
A Cockatrice
JustinDP
Eckertmania
Tobbii
DesertEagle
DrProfessor
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

Crossovers! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossovers!   Crossovers! - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 10:20 am

Salim wrote:
The Man in Black wrote:
A Cockatrice wrote:
The Man in Black wrote:
I've often found myself watching a review I wouldn't really have bothered with because I wanted to know what happened next.

I completely agree, but IMO there is a time when a reviewer story arch is appropriate and when its not. I would say that both Linkara and Spoony are guilty of crossing the line on that.

Let's say this: if it weren't for storylines where they weren't needed, I would never have watched almost all of Spoony's reviews trying to find certain scenes to see what happened. Via blip, that translates to money in Spoony's pocket, and I don't feel ripped off either.

So basically what you're saying is he does it all for the money?

That's always a possibility, but I mean he (partially) does it to make people feel compelled to pay more attention to his reviews.

Last edited by The Man in Black on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.maninblack.tk
Salim

Salim

PostSubject: Re: Crossovers!   Crossovers! - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 2:12 am

[quote="The Man in Black"]
Salim wrote:
The Man in Black wrote:
A Cockatrice wrote:
The Man in Black wrote:
I've often found myself watching a review I wouldn't really have bothered with because I wanted to know what happened next.

I completely agree, but IMO there is a time when a reviewer story arch is appropriate and when its not. I would say that both Linkara and Spoony are guilty of crossing the line on that.

Let's say this: if it weren't for storylines where they weren't needed, I would never have watched almost all of Spoony's reviews trying to find certain scenes to see what happened. Via blip, that translates to money in Spoony's pocket, and I don't feel ripped off either.

So basically what you're saying is he does it all for the money?[/quote

That's always a possibility, but I mean he (partially) does it to make people feel compelled to pay more attention to his reviews.

But why doesn't he just make his reviews good in that case?

It just seems lazy to make an ongoing story so people watch it for that rather than to just make your reviews as enjoyable as possible.
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Crossovers!   Crossovers! - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 2:40 am

I'm still confused as to this whole "Reviewaverse" that everyone is talking about...
Back to top Go down
Salim

Salim

PostSubject: Re: Crossovers!   Crossovers! - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 4:37 am

Frank Rizzo wrote:
I'm still confused as to this whole "Reviewaverse" that everyone is talking about...

I was too

that was when I realized what had happened to a lot of em cept Snob,Phelous and a few others
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Crossovers!   Crossovers! - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 4:40 am

Salim wrote:
Frank Rizzo wrote:

I was too

that was when I realized what had happened to a lot of em cept Snob,Phelous and a few others

Which was?
Back to top Go down
yakityyakblah

yakityyakblah

PostSubject: Re: Crossovers!   Crossovers! - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 8:20 am

They started introducing poorly thought out badly written plot lines that add nothing to their reviews aside from apparently tricking some people into watching reviews just to find out what happens next in the plot. The canon developed by these plots and how they interweave with each other through cameos is what makes up the "reviewaverse".
Back to top Go down
yakityyakblah

yakityyakblah

PostSubject: Re: Crossovers!   Crossovers! - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 8:23 am

Oh and the reason I came into this thread is because I have a great idea!

You know how Spoony has his ultimate character video? Snob and Spoony should do a ultimate character video where Pierre Kirby goes against Reb Brown! It can't fail!
Back to top Go down
IAKO

PostSubject: Re: Crossovers!   Crossovers! - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 1:33 am

yakityyakblah wrote:
http://blip.tv/file/4673405

Welp that's how a crossover should be done.

I didn't know about these two, but it was a very nice crossover. Thank for posting that.
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Crossovers!   Crossovers! - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 1:35 am

"Snob and Spoony should do a ultimate character video where Pierre Kirby goes against Reb Brown!"

I for one would definitely like to see that happen.
Back to top Go down
polygonalchemist

PostSubject: Re: Crossovers!   Crossovers! - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 6:13 pm

yakityyakblah wrote:
You know how Spoony has his ultimate character video? Snob and Spoony should do a ultimate character video where Pierre Kirby goes against Reb Brown! It can't fail!

Woah, you know I was totally thinking the same thing a bit earlier (although since your post was about 3 days ago, I guess that's not that impressive.) Which mancrush is deadliest?!

I like crossovers when there's actual banter between the two people appearing together. Too often it seems it's just the two critics taking turns reading their usual commentary while sitting together.

And as for the "storylines", meh. I could take or leave 'em. At first they were kind of funny, even the big ones like the big brawl or Kickassia. But lately a lot of it just seems like more of the same and I find myself just dragging the slider under the video.
Back to top Go down
polygonalchemist

PostSubject: Re: Crossovers!   Crossovers! - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 9:52 pm

Woah, and also speaking of the devil, anyone see the review of the Reb Brown movie "Cage" that Spoony just put up? He has a jab at Pierre Kirby in there. I do believe the gauntlet has been thrown down!
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Crossovers!   Crossovers! - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 10:49 am

polygonalchemist wrote:
Woah, and also speaking of the devil, anyone see the review of the Reb Brown movie "Cage" that Spoony just put up? He has a jab at Pierre Kirby in there. I do believe the gauntlet has been thrown down!
I saw that after I demanded a Pierre Kirby/Reb Brown movie.

Which, by the way, would be the best actionsploitation movie of all time.
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Crossovers!   Crossovers! - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 10:54 am

Salim wrote:
The Man in Black wrote:
Salim wrote:
The Man in Black wrote:
A Cockatrice wrote:
The Man in Black wrote:

So basically what you're saying is he does it all for the money?

But why doesn't he just make his reviews good in that case?

It just seems lazy to make an ongoing story so people watch it for that rather than to just make your reviews as enjoyable as possible.
Because that's what they are- reviews. By their nature, reviews rarely have a linear quality. Yes, it's possible- but even Cinema Snob had to resort to matching skits for his Zombi series reviews. A coherent linear story is always more entertaining than episodic directionless stories- that's why AVGN has capped out on his entertainment quality.
Back to top Go down
yakityyakblah

yakityyakblah

PostSubject: Re: Crossovers!   Crossovers! - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 11:39 am

Of course, let's not forget Roger Ebert's epic saga which ran through all of his reviews.

A review should be entertaining in of itself, all this plot just gets in the way, especially because the people at TGWTG suck at it. The "plot" in Spoony and Linkara's reviews amount to bad fanfic made up entirely of shit they stole from other properties and are filled with badly shot fight scenes with no sense of tension or suspense. Every problem seems to be solved by an endless stream of deus ex machina that they just pull out of thin air. Oh this enemy is too strong, well I guess I'll just pull out this special weapon I never mentioned before, oh and it'll be a reference to something I'm reviewing at the time.

They ironically enough all suffer from the same bad writing, acting, cinematography, fight choreography, and special effects that they criticize in other movies. They should stick to their strengths, making snarky comments about different media.

If they have aspirations to make short films, go nuts, just don't put it in your review.
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Crossovers!   Crossovers! - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 11:42 am

I choose to disagree. Then again, I'm also the one doing a novel review almost entirely in fiction form and letting the story reveal most of my feelings on the novel I'm reviewing.
Back to top Go down
moonsknight

PostSubject: Re: Crossovers!   Crossovers! - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 4:31 pm

yakityyakblah wrote:
Of course, let's not forget Roger Ebert's epic saga which ran through all of his reviews.

A review should be entertaining in of itself, all this plot just gets in the way, especially because the people at TGWTG suck at it. The "plot" in Spoony and Linkara's reviews amount to bad fanfic made up entirely of shit they stole from other properties and are filled with badly shot fight scenes with no sense of tension or suspense. Every problem seems to be solved by an endless stream of deus ex machina that they just pull out of thin air. Oh this enemy is too strong, well I guess I'll just pull out this special weapon I never mentioned before, oh and it'll be a reference to something I'm reviewing at the time.

They ironically enough all suffer from the same bad writing, acting, cinematography, fight choreography, and special effects that they criticize in other movies. They should stick to their strengths, making snarky comments about different media.

If they have aspirations to make short films, go nuts, just don't put it in your review.

The difference to me is that they are doing so intentionally. Spoony and Linkara don't expect people to really be hooked to find out what Mechakara or Black Lantern Spoony are going to do next, they toss them in there because they have fun doing them, and their viewers enjoy it when they show up. They're working with no/low budget and are intentionally calling on the things they make fun of to get laughs.

Look at Spoony's "Deadliest Character", this was based on a show that he hates. To show this he took the format and showed that it could just as easily be applied to fictional characters as it could to actual historical warriors. He knew he was doing the exact same thing as Deadliest Warrior, but did it to show to downright absurdity of the show.

Seems to me that the over-acted "story" portions of his show are really just to further mock the poor quality of the movies or games that he reviews.
Back to top Go down
yakityyakblah

yakityyakblah

PostSubject: Re: Crossovers!   Crossovers! - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 12:10 am

There is a thin line between parody and just doing what you criticize others for. Especially in the case of Linkara who flirts way too closely with sincerity with his plots. All his epic speeches and fights that go on way too long don't come off as "this is really stupid, laugh at it with me". It seems to come off as, "I watched a lot of Power Rangers and actually think what I'm doing is really cool".

He's not making any jokes, he's just going through the motions and throwing in props and characters from various other properties. Like I said, it all comes off like bad fan fic. And the really annoying thing is that these guys are really funny when they do what they're good at. Even skits they put in for laughs tend to be good. But when they introduce these storylines it's always painfully sincere, boring, and just gets in the way of what I'm watching the review for.
Back to top Go down
yakityyakblah

yakityyakblah

PostSubject: Re: Crossovers!   Crossovers! - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 4:21 am

http://nostalgiachick.blip.tv/file/4750992/

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crossovers!   Crossovers! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Crossovers!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2