Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

October 13, 2011

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
OrlandoEastwood

PostSubject: October 13, 2011   Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:28 pm

Ok, I wanted to address some things that was brought up in the episode. With the Caligula Blu-ray with the screen shaking, I've noticed that on my copy, but it all comes down to the transfer of the film when they were doing the film to tele/datacine. Now, most likely something was not set up properly and the people supervising the transfer didn't catch when they were going through the motions.

Now, with what Josh mentioned with Trick or Treat, it's a stupid thing that Warner Bros does with their releases. Trick or Treat was a combo release with a slip cover that was not of the face. It was just when you pulled the Blu-ray case out of the slip cover, you saw the face. And WB shafts customers by removing all the combo DVD and Digital Copies and Slip Cover from the release and just give you the Blu-ray itself. I've seen a lot of people from Amazon complaining that it's advertised with all these combos and they'd just get the Blu-ray disc.

Now, with the whole digital remasters, and how there's complaints that it looks too clean; the only thing I can really say that I like about it is that when the director/editor/producers were going over said film in the day, it didn't look rough and beat up and degraded because it was still new. When Fox had the Alien films remastered in HD, it all looks amazing.

And of course, there's still some studios who don't go the whole "DIGITAL REMASTER" route and just throw whatever master they have like Universal did. Universal fucked up the Blu-ray release for Nic Cage's The Family Man. They didn't remaster the film and it looks completely HORRENDOUS.

And finally IFC sucks. I saw that Indie Sex years ago before they started their commercial breaks. Those fucks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.orlandoeastwoodfilms.tk
thatguyontheright1

PostSubject: Re: October 13, 2011   Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:17 am

my BD release of Caligula's transfer completely sucks. Nothing was done with the negative to clean it up. I do hear the UK BD release is much better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OrlandoEastwood

PostSubject: Re: October 13, 2011   Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:47 am

thatguyontheright1 wrote:
my BD release of Caligula's transfer completely sucks. Nothing was done with the negative to clean it up. I do hear the UK BD release is much better.

I haven't seen the UK release for myself, but it was done by Arrow who released Battle Royale on Blu-ray last Christmas and I was fairly pleased with that. I had gotten the big ass limited edition release which is Region All. Caligula was one of the cheapest Blu-ray I had gotten, I found a copy at Blockbuster that was laying in the Used section which oddly had it's original case with it and had all the stuff with it for $3. And that was back at Easter 2009 when I was living in Hilo, Hawaii.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.orlandoeastwoodfilms.tk
thatguyontheright1

PostSubject: Re: October 13, 2011   Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:22 am

Now, I don't mind grain in a movie, grain is great if the movie was shot on film (also removing grain tends to take away detail).

I just researched different sources for the UK release, it is moderately better, but due to age...and mishandling on penthouse's part, the film stock has clearly deteriorated and this is the best we'll see it unless a better print surfaces.

and nice luck finding it for $3, I had to spend $30, but mine was brand new.....trade off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: October 13, 2011   

Back to top Go down

October 13, 2011
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1