View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
JustinDP

PostSubject: Re: The August Underground Movies   Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:16 am

The Dude wrote:
Loxx O))) wrote:
Hey, the original Saw was pretty cool. It's all the sequels that sucked. Razz
I definitely think that the first Saw movie has been tarnished by the reputation of it's sequels. It was violent for sure, but I never felt like it was being violent just for violence's sake, and it really did work well as a suspense/thriller, with a good twist-ending.

I might be in the minority but I actually hated the ending of SAW. Not so much for what it was, but more for the fact that I had next to no idea who he was supposed to be when I saw it in theaters. It was like they went "and the evil killer ....THIS ...uh ..guy?" Maybe I need to rewatch it at some point and see if I noticed stuff I wasn't thinking about at the time, but it took me out of the movie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: The August Underground Movies   Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:31 am

JustinDP wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Loxx O))) wrote:
Hey, the original Saw was pretty cool. It's all the sequels that sucked. Razz
I definitely think that the first Saw movie has been tarnished by the reputation of it's sequels. It was violent for sure, but I never felt like it was being violent just for violence's sake, and it really did work well as a suspense/thriller, with a good twist-ending.

I might be in the minority but I actually hated the ending of SAW. Not so much for what it was, but more for the fact that I had next to no idea who he was supposed to be when I saw it in theaters. It was like they went "and the evil killer ....THIS ...uh ..guy?" Maybe I need to rewatch it at some point and see if I noticed stuff I wasn't thinking about at the time, but it took me out of the movie.
More to the point, though, the first Saw was violent, but never crossed the line into being gratuitous.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegormer

PostSubject: Re: The August Underground Movies   Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:03 am

Not to continue the derailment of this thread into a Saw discussion, but I felt upon my first viewing, and still feel that the original Saw isn't even a horror movie, per se. Save for one, maybe two shots of gore, it's nothing more than a Seven ripoff. It wasn't until Saw II that we truly entered the realm of a horror film.

That said, I actually like Saw II and III. The story should've ended there. Period. Saw IV pissed me off at first, but I've grown to appreciate it. Saw V, while terrible, is a sentimental film to me (personal reasons). Saw VI was okay. Not great, but definitely an improvement over V. And my opinion on Saw 3D pretty much echoes Brad's. I've never left a theater more angry than I did after Saw 3D.

As far as the AU movies go...I'm not sure how I'd rank them. They all kind of blend together for me. I do know that I disliked the second one, Mordum, the most. Yes it's the most depraved of the three, but somehow also the most boring and annoying.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: The August Underground Movies   Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:17 am

thegormer wrote:
Not to continue the derailment of this thread into a Saw discussion, but I felt upon my first viewing, and still feel that the original Saw isn't even a horror movie, per se. Save for one, maybe two shots of gore, it's nothing more than a Seven ripoff. It wasn't until Saw II that we truly entered the realm of a horror film.
I can definitely see Saw not being a horror film. Like a mentioned previously, I think of it more as a suspense film. Though, I wouldn't want to call it a ripoff of Seven, as I would feel like I wasn't giving Saw it's due credit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Loxx O)))

PostSubject: Re: The August Underground Movies   Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:26 am

Yeah, it's more of a suspense/thriller type movie. And if I remember correctly, there was no gore at all in the original Saw. Because I'm pretty sure that was one thing that a lot of people said made it stand apart. Grisly things were happening to people, but you never actually saw it.

And it annoys me when people call Saw a gore movie (not the series, just the first one) because it really wasn't. As a matter of fact, on a horror movie board I post at there was someone adamantly against the Saw series. They had NEVER watched a single Saw film and admitted this. But according to them Saw was the most violent and graphic movie in mainstream cinema ever. Ugh... And then you try to explain the original Saw and how it was unique but no... they just didn't want to hear it. It was nothing but mindless and violent trite.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: The August Underground Movies   Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:28 am

Loxx O))) wrote:
As a matter of fact, on a horror movie board I post at there was someone adamantly against the Saw series. They had NEVER watched a single Saw film and admitted this. But according to them Saw was the most violent and graphic movie in mainstream cinema ever. Ugh... And then you try to explain the original Saw and how it was unique but no... they just didn't want to hear it. It was nothing but mindless and violent trite.
Well somebody's a dumb bitch. Or thinks that hating Saw will make him standout because it's a popular franchise. Either way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Loxx O)))

PostSubject: Re: The August Underground Movies   Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:06 am

Definitely the former.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seb

PostSubject: Re: The August Underground Movies   Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:50 pm

I believe Penance with Michael Rooker and Tony Todd was supposed to be part of the august underground films, but im not sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ermac

PostSubject: Re: The August Underground Movies   Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:54 pm

I actually also don't like the Saw series. I enjoyed the first film, and the second one was ok, but then they had to make 3. And 4 and 5,6 and 7. I just couldn't enjoy them anymore, the concept could've only been taken so far. And most of my friends indeed think that the Saw series are some of the most shocking movies EVAH.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Loxx O)))

PostSubject: Re: The August Underground Movies   Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:35 am

Seb wrote:
I believe Penance with Michael Rooker and Tony Todd was supposed to be part of the august underground films, but im not sure.
Not sure if serious.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: The August Underground Movies   Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:34 am

Loxx O))) wrote:
Seb wrote:
Not sure if serious.
Not familiar with Penance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Loxx O)))

PostSubject: Re: The August Underground Movies   Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:36 am

I looked it up. Apparently it's just another one of those hand held torture movies. I did happen to like that movie The Butcher... I know there are several movies with that name... but it was an Asian horror film. It was one of those horror movies. Had a somewhat retarded kind of guy in a pig mask hired by these other guys to kill people. Anyway, it was alright. So I may look into this Penance movie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: The August Underground Movies   Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:41 am

Makes me thing of the Manhunt video game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obin_gam

PostSubject: Re: The August Underground Movies   Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:58 pm

I like the movies... for what they are I guess... They could be cut better... some scenes are So Incredibly Boring.

Anyways, I think that The Poughkeepsie Tapes did and succeeded in what the AU movies wanted to do and failed. For those who havent seen Poughkeepsie its played out as a sort of Discovery Channels FBI-files documentary: Police have found a house with hundreds of VHS tapes filmed by a serial killer. The movie cuts between footage from the tapes and interviews with the police and victims families. Really good and really disturbing.

I think AU should have done that; made it a dox about found footage and not just the found footage itself. Because, as I said, they are really boring and even if you immerse yourself in the illusion that its real, you still know in the back of your head that its fake and thus could have been edited better.

Also: comparing Saw to AU or A Serbian Film*, is like comparing Larry the cable guy to Monty Python.

* Which is a film I aboslutely love. Its the only movie I actually have regretted seeing. Not for the fact that its a bad movie (I have regretted seeing lots of bad movies), on the contrary -- the acting is superb, the music is great (some of the heaviest dubstep Ive heard), the effects are great and the overall production is really well done -- I regret seeing it because of what happens in the film. I saw the uncut festival version which I couldnt get off my mind for days afterwards. And when a movie does that - it deserves great recognition!

Last edited by obin_gam on Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added stuff)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: The August Underground Movies   Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:23 pm

For some reason when I think of TPT, I think of Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: The August Underground Movies   Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:21 am

obin_gam wrote:

Also: comparing Saw to AU or A Serbian Film*, is like comparing Larry the cable guy to Monty Python.

Finally.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The August Underground Movies   

Back to top Go down

The August Underground Movies
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2