Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Thought Experiment: 80s Dan: The Cartoon Series!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shallow 15

PostSubject: Thought Experiment: 80s Dan: The Cartoon Series!   Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:58 pm

This was an idea that grabbed me as I was watching the 80s Dan videos and wouldn't let go. My apologies to Brad.

We're all familiar with the trend of taking hit movies and turning them into good to god awful cartoon series, but back in the 80s there was a rash of Saturday morning cartoons that were based on hit primetime TV shows. Usually these shows took the form of either running the basic concept of the show through a more cartoonish filter, or saddling a show that already had a ridiculous premise with an even more ridiculous premise. Some examples of this:

The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang: Fonzie, Richie, Ralph and Fonzie's faithful dog, Mr. Cool encounter a teenage time-traveler named Cupcake from the 25th century. However her time machine malfunctions taking the boys and their dog on an out of control ride through history as they try to ge t back to 1957 Milwaukee.

The Dukes: Based on “The Dukes of Hazzard.” Boss Hogg battles the Dukes for control of Uncle Jesse's farm once and for all. The contest: A race around the world and back to Hazzard county. The Dukes have adventures along the way, while Boss Hogg and Roscoe P. Coltraine try to keep them from finishing the race.

ALF: This one made slightly more sense. The premise behind this one was ALF was writing a book about life on the planet Melmac, with each episode being a new chapter for the book.

In any event, I got to thinking about how 80s Dan could be applied in such a manner and, deciding in grand 80s tradition to steal one of the ideas above and tweak it slightly, I came up with the following:

80s Dan: The Cartoon Series!

Alternate title: 80s Dan & the Timeskippers!

PREMISE: One night while stargazing after another “fascinating” lecture from Dan about 1980s pop culture, a shooting star crashes in Dolly and Dan's backyard. Exploring, Dolly, Dan and ROB find a strange alien artifact that upon activation begins hurtling the three of them throughout history, where they have hilarious adventures featuring such historical figures like George Washington, Al Capone, and even Richard Nixon!

Unfortunately for them, the artifact, known as the Chronostaff, belongs to the vicious alien conquerer Lord Dystos who uses the artifact to change the history of the planets he wishes to conquer so that the planet never develops the technology needed to defeat him. The only good thing about this is that Lord Dystos needs the Chronostaff to fully enter our dimension to conquer it. Right now, he is only powerful enough to issue orders and send his minions to do his bidding. He can, occasionally, influence others in a given time period if his henchmen aren't available.

Dan, Dolly and ROB soon find themselves fighting against Lord Dystos's henchmen Sleez and Skuzz, who not only have orders to retrieve the Chronostaff, which will allow Lord Dystos to invade Earth himself, but also are attempting to change history to make the eventual invasion easier.

Meanwhile, in the present, the Crabtrees find that Dan's old Colecovision is somehow able to communicate with the Chronostaff. They spend each episode keeping Dan and Dolly appraised on how history is changing because of Sleez and Skuzz's actions and advise them on how to get history back on the right track.

Will 80s Dan and his friends be able to prevent the alien meddling with history, save the world and eventually find a way back to 2011? Tune in and find out!

NOTE: This series is in no way historically accurate. Such is the way of 80s-style cartoons.

EPISODES

Episode 1: Vive le Dan!

With the premise of the show established in the opening sequence, we jump right into the action with no elaboration whatsoever. Dan, Dolly, and ROB have arrived in Paris in 1787 in the court of Louis the XVI. The French Revolution is supposed to get underway soon, but for some reason the peasants aren't revolting. Some quick investigation reveals that Sleez and Skuzz have started a massive breadmaking factory, thus assuaging the peasants hunger and preventing Marie Antoinette from uttering her famous “let them eat cake” line, thus preventing the Revolution. Realizing that if the Revolution never happens, the stereotypes needed for ”Trail of the Pink Panther” to be made will never come about, Dan takes action to start a one man revolution with hilarious results. Meanwhile, an off hand comment from ROB may result in he and Dolly losing their heads...LITERALLY.

Episode 2: Where Eagles Dan

Kitty Hawk, NC, 1888. The plans for the Wright Brothers airplane have been stolen and suspicion has fallen on Dan and his friends! Dan and Dolly quickly discover that Sleez and Skuzz are responsible for the theft in an effort to prevent Earth from developing flight technology. When Sleez and Skuzz get ready to escape using their flying chronocraft, it's up to Dan and Dolly to take to the skies in a makeshift flying machine designed by ROB and the Wright Brothers to get the plans back.

Episode 3: The Dantouchables

Arriving in Chicago in 1928, Dan, Dolly and ROB soon find themselves caught in a war between Al Capone and Elliot Ness and his Untouchables. But something's wrong. By all accounts, Elliot Ness was a fearless lawman dedicated to bringing down Capone, so why is Ness scared of his own shadow? Can the Crabtrees unearth the truth in the present before history changes forever?

Episode 4: Knights of the Dan-ner Table

Yoiks! Forsooth! Our band of merry time travelers arrive in the court of King Arthur just in time to aid him repel the forces of the evil Black Knight. Merlin informs them that he has the power to send them back home, but only if they are able to steal the sword of the Black Knight and return it to him. But things may not be what they appear, and why are Sleez and Skuzz working for the Black Knight?

Episode 5: Peace, Love, and Dan

Woodstock, 1969. Much to Dolly's delight, the team arrives at the greatest rock festival in history. However, a difference of opinion on the musical talent of the scheduled performers cause Dan and Dolly to have a massive argument, thus providing Sleez and Skuzz an opportunity to steal back the Chronostaff. Meanwhile, ROB jams with Jimi Hendrix.

Episode 6: Give Me Liberty, or Give Me Dan!

Valley Forge, 1787. General George Washington welcomes Dan, Dolly, and ROB to the Colonists camp as they try to survive the long winter. Unfortunately, much needed supplies are stuck on the other side of the Delaware river and rumor has it feared British General Simon Badfellow is planning on destroying the supplies and cutting the lines. Dan heroically volunteers to stop the general from enacting his dastardly plan, much to Dolly and ROB's chagrin. Meanwhile, Sleez and Skuzz make yet another attempt as stealing back the Chronostaff.

Episode 7: The Two Dans

Dan gets bitten by the noir bug when he, Dolly, and ROB land in 1947 San Francisco and Dan is mistaken for his great uncle Dan Diamond, private eye. Following the trail of a mysterious Lady in Black, Dan and Dolly soon find themselves embroiled in a mystery that could mean the end of Dan Diamond's life and lead to Lord Dystos conquering the Earth!

Episode 8: Dan Wars

It's 1977 and one of the greatest cinematic blockbusters ever is about to be released. Yes, Dan is thrilled to be in Hollywood for the premiere of (some crappy 1977 movie nobody's heard of), but Dolly is insistent on getting tickets for Star Wars instead. After some amusingly hilarious failures on Dan's part, Dan, Dolly and ROB discover that Sleez and Skuzz intend to steal the print of the original Star Wars from the premiere and kidnap George Lucas so the subsequent films can never be made, thus preventing an entire generation of geeks from becoming interested enough in space travel to develop the next generation of space exploration vehicles that could eventually become a threat to Lord Dystos'
invasion fleet.

Episode 9: The Dan-Vinci Code

Italy, 1481. Shortly after arriving, Dan, Dolly and ROB are ambushed by Sleez and Skuzz, who make off with the Chronostaff. Our heroes pursue them, but Dolly is seperated and finds herself unexpectedly modeling for Leonardo da Vinci himself. No sooner to Dan and ROB get the Chronostaff back than they find that Dolly is the toast of the town and she really likes the attention. Will Dan be able to convince her to stay with him so they can go home, or is this where Dolly and Dan part ways forever?

Episode 10: The Last Danfighter

Awesome! It's 1986 and 80s Dan is back in his own era! And just in time too, because they've landed in Dan's hometown of Springfield only to find that the local youth center is about to be demolished by evil developers intending to put up a shopping mall. Further investigation finds that the developers are backed by Lord Dystos, who wants the youth center gone, as a majority of the kids who take martial arts courses there will eventually train the elite special operatives sent by the US Government to fight his invasion forces. Dan, Dolly, and ROB join forces with special guest Kung Tai Ted to take on the developers and their alien masters and save the youth center.

Episode 11: Indiana Dan and the Temple of ROB

Peru, the 15th Century. Lost in the jungle, Dan, Dolly and ROB discover El Dorado, the legendary City of Gold. Much to their surprise, it's inhabited and the locals are decidedly not friendly to outsiders. Just as Dan and Dolly are about to be sacrificed, ROB appears and is heralded as a god by the Incas. But soon, all the power goes to ROB's head and he begins to demand Dan and Dolly do his bidding. Will Dan and Dolly get ROB to come to his senses before they end up sacrificed to the deranged false robot god?

Episode 12: Huckleberry Dan

Hannibal MO, 1875. Dan, Dolly and ROB take a riverboat trip up the Mississippi, and get a pleasant surprise when it turns out the riverboat pilot is none other than Samuel Clemens, soon to be known as Mark Twain. But Lord Dystos is well aware of the influence Mark Twain will have on literary history and sends Sleez and Skuzz to make sure the riverboat never reaches its destination and that Mark Twain will never write another word.

Episode 13: I, Danulus

Rome, 33 BC. The stakes are raised as Dan, Dolly and ROB find themselves in Rome during the reign of the mad emperor Caligula. But to make things worse, the Chronostaff is acting strangely and is causing random time portals to appear throughout the city. Things go from bad to worse when Dolly is hauled off to be one of Caligula's concubines, Dan is sent to the Coliseum to be slaughtered by lions, and ROB finds himself all alone with the Chronostaff just as Lord Dystos is able to fully enter this dimension. Could this be the end of our heroes?

(Note: Due to the subject matter of this episode and generally low ratings, “80s Dan: The Cartoon Series” was canceled after the initial airing of Episode 12)

--Erin M.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Thought Experiment: 80s Dan: The Cartoon Series!   Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:32 am

Holy sweet mother of Moses you put a lot of effort into this.

Bravo my good man.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shallow 15

PostSubject: Re: Thought Experiment: 80s Dan: The Cartoon Series!   Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:46 pm

Thanks, Frank!

I'm thinking of doing some concept sketches for what the characters would look like. Probably won't be great because my cartooning skills aren't that good, but passable. If I get really deranged, I might just cave and write a script. Nothing will come from all this, but it's a fun way to pass the time. Very Happy

--Erin M.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Son Of Jack Deth

PostSubject: Re: Thought Experiment: 80s Dan: The Cartoon Series!   Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:29 pm

OK, does anyone here know how to use Flash? This could be a fun little series. Man I wish i knew how to animate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thatguyontheright1

PostSubject: Re: Thought Experiment: 80s Dan: The Cartoon Series!   Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:57 pm

I know someone who can draw and use flash, maybe I can.....con him into doing this if we can Brad and them to do the voices, or if we wana go true blue 80s cartoon knockoff, we can do Close-enough sound alike.

Here are some episode ideas I thought of

80's Samurai
Japan, 1854 Sleez and Skuzz prevent Commodore Mathew Perry from reaching Japan and opening it up resulting in the Meji revolution not happening, keeping them in their Feudal Era indefinably to prevent Japan from becoming the electronics empire it is today. Dan must assume the role of Commodore Perry (Now Commodore Dan). Meanwhile, ROBs appearance drives local man crazy resulting in the Creation of ROB by his descendent.

Walk like an 80's Song
332 BC, Egypt. Sleez and Skuzz cause Alexander the Great's army to disband before the Seige of Gaza which causes the Egyption Dynasties to not crumble and fall under the power of the Greeks and the Romans like its supposed to. The reason is, this would allow Ancient Egypt to expand worldwide and keep the world in the Bronze Age. The Gang must rally troops and aid in their training before the month is out or else Sleez and Skuzz win.

A Renaissance Dan
14th Century Italy. Sleez and Skuzz prevented the birth of the Renaissance which would cause the western world to remain in the Medieval period indefinitely. Dolly uses sketches to inspire Giotto di Bondone, and ROB and Dan inspire Dante Alighieri and Petrarch. Dan's actions inspire Dante's Inferno claiming that Dan would be in the first 6 levels. In this episode Sleez and Skuzz are able to obtain the Chronostaff but due to their buffoonery, they drop it while getting away.

One Small Step for Dan, one Giant Leap for ROB
April 1969. Sleez and Skuzz prevent the American Moon landing by telling people that the Russians have already landed on the moon and supporting this with a faked moon landing video shown on national TV. This causes NASA to be dissolved in the 1970s and preventing any space program from existing after the fall of the Soviet Union. Due to the video, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin leave NASA so Dan and the Gang must convince NASA that the Russian Moon landing was faked and have Dan and ROB go up with Michael Collins, they agree and Collins goes insane the 8 days he Dan and ROB are in the capsule due to Dan talking about the 80s.

Last edited by thatguyontheright1 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Thought Experiment: 80s Dan: The Cartoon Series!   Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:07 pm

If you are serious about doing this, and you'd like a writer to help you out, PM me Shallow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shallow 15

PostSubject: Re: Thought Experiment: 80s Dan: The Cartoon Series!   Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:10 pm

Those are some great episode ideas!

I sent this synopsis to Brad's email address. Maybe with a little luck he'll respond favorably. Very Happy

--Erin M.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eckertmania

PostSubject: Re: Thought Experiment: 80s Dan: The Cartoon Series!   Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:38 am

Oh my God, this is brilliant.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://asliceomind.wordpress.com/
Shallow 15

PostSubject: Re: Thought Experiment: 80s Dan: The Cartoon Series!   Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:47 am

Okay, even though I haven't heard anything from Brad on this idea one way or the other, I've decided to go ahead and write a script for an 80's Dan cartoon. Obviously if he hates this idea completely, Brad can simply request I stop and we'll shut everything down.

Frank Rizzo has graciously offered to help and so I've PMed him on the subject. We'll see what happens. Should be fun.

--Erin M.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Indiana Groans

PostSubject: Re: Thought Experiment: 80s Dan: The Cartoon Series!   Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:04 pm

If you wanted to make an unofficial tribute thing I'm sure he wouldn't mind. Best not to infringe on his ideas without, y'know, asking first though.

This was a great read by the way. I suppose in the actual script there should be as many 80s references as possible within the story themselves. Also: 80s Dan Action Figures!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Thought Experiment: 80s Dan: The Cartoon Series!   Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:32 am

I also envision.....

80's Dan Lunch Boxes!

a picture of Dan holding a McDLT while doing a cheesy grin and thumbs up on the front of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Son Of Jack Deth

PostSubject: Re: Thought Experiment: 80s Dan: The Cartoon Series!   Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:59 am

Hey, don't foret the 80's Dan Band. I should try and write a couple of cheesy 80's style cartoon songs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Thought Experiment: 80s Dan: The Cartoon Series!   Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:52 pm

Just bumping this thread to ask, Brad, have you seen this thread and/or given any thought to if it's a cool idea?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shallow 15

PostSubject: Re: Thought Experiment: 80s Dan: The Cartoon Series!   Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:21 pm

Sorry I haven't been around in a while. Real life concerns , plus my laptop monitor decided to quit working so my internet access has become extremely limited.

I have been slowly working on the script. There isn't much here, but I figured with the new 80's Dan being released yesterday, I might as well post it here for your amusement. Again, the 80's Dan concept and characters are solely the property of Brad Jones and should Brad request that I knock it off, I will do so immediately as well as delete this post, if possible.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy.

--

80'S DAN: THE CARTOON SERIES

VIVE LE DAN!

Written by Erin Mills

Based on characters created by Brad Jones

OPENING SEQUENCE

EXT. BACK PORCH AND YARD – NIGHT.

As we hear the VOICE OF 80'S DAN, we see DOLLY, ROB, and 80's DAN standing on their back porch stargazing. A SHOOTING STAR CRASHES into the BACKYARD.

CLOSE ON DOLLY AND DAN

They look down off screen where the shooting star apparently crashed. Then they look at each other.

ANGLE ON

THE CRATER IN THE LAWN. A GLOWING OBJECT is visible as Dan, Dolly, and ROB explore it.

CLOSE ON DAN with ROB on his shoulder.

Dan hauls up a shiny glowing staff, the CHRONOSTAFF, into shot. It's a short silver staff surmounted by a glowing golden crystal. Dan and Dolly reach up and touch the crystal.

There's a sudden FLASH of light and our three heroes vanish into a psychedelic VORTEX.

CUT TO

A montage of various shots of Dolly, Dan and ROB in assorted time periods: Running from redcoats, dropping barrels on 1920s gangsters, use your imagination.

CUT TO

TRAVIS CRABTREE and his wife, MRS. CRABTREE. They are sitting in their apartment in front of a TV and an old video game system. Mrs. Crabtree also has a laptop open on her left.

REVERSE ANGLE

So we can see Dan, Dolly and ROB on the TV, clearly communicating with the Crabtrees.

CUT TO

The shadowy form of LORD DYSTOS. Like most 80s style evil villains, he is mostly seen as a silhouette, with the exception of one hand, which is a large clawed monstrosity covered in a cybernetic gauntlet. His HAND gestures towards his two henchmen, SLEEZ and SKUZZ.

Sleez is tall, lanky, and has a fairly prominent nose and bushy eyebrows. Skuzz is short, morbidly obese, with a huge chin and a large walrus mustache. Both are dressed in futuristic attire and bristling with armor and weapons. Aside from the clothing, Sleez is a pale blue, while Skuzz is bright orange.

CUT TO

Sleez and Skuzz menacing Dan and Dolly in an alley. They advance. Dolly and Dan grin at each other and run past the two goons, snatching up ROB along the way.

CLOSE UP of Dan

He holds up the Chronostaff and twists the crystal. There's another flash of golden light which resolves itself into the title, with appropriate iconic artwork of Dan and company underneath it.

During all this we hear 80'S DAN'S VOICE as he outlines the premise of the series.

DAN

Hey, guys, 80's Dan here! Just when I thought getting used to the 21st
Century was going to be tough, a shooting star crash landed in the back-
yard! Dolly and I investigated and it turned out to be an alien artifact
called the Chronostaff...

DAN

But when we touched it, we found ourselves hurtling throughout
history, having amazing adventures in all sorts of different times!
Fortunately, our friends the Crabtrees found that my old Colecovision
can communicate with the Chronostaff and use it to help us find our way home.

DAN

But, the evil Lord Dystos wants the Chronostaff so he can invade our dimension
and conquer it! To do this, he's sent his henchmen Sleez and Skuzz to get the
Chronostaff and change Earth's history so it will be defenseless when he invades!

DAN

Now, Dolly, ROB, and I have to keep the Chronostaff out of Dystos's hands, stop
Sleez and Skuzz from changing history, and somehow find a way home!

DAN

Is this an awesome quest or what?

DOLLY AND ROB
(voice over)

No.

FADE OUT

FADE IN on the TITLE CARD for the episode. Hold long enough for the audience to read the title of the episode and the credits then

FADE OUT

FADE IN

EXT. STREET IN PARIS, FRANCE – DAY.

DAN and DOLLY are walking down the street. ROB the robot is riding along on Dolly's shoulder. They are in the middle of a conversation. Dan fiddles with the CHRONOSTAFF as they walk.

CAPTION: Paris, France – 1789

DOLLY

Well, THAT was probably the worst time I ever thought I'd have
while time traveling.

DAN

Oh, come on, Dolly. You say that about every place we visit.
Besides, I thought you always wanted to visit Massachusettes.

DOLLY

Dan, we were almost burned at the stake because SOMEONE...

She GLARES at ROB

DOLLY

Decided it would be a great idea to open his big fat voicebox
and insult the Puritans.

ROB

Hey, did you SEE what they looked like? I don't even have a nose and
I could smell them from across the street.

DOLLY

Maybe, but given that it was the Salem Witch Trials, a little discretion couldn't have hurt.

ROB

What is it with you humans? You almost get barbecued alive and you're all set
to blame the guy with the guts to actually say something about the smell!

DOLLY
(Sighing in exasperation)

Dan, would you explain to your robot that—Dan?

Dan is nowhere to be found. Dolly and ROB look around.

ROB

Uh-oh. This can't be good.

DOLLY

Considering the last time he ran off like this, we ended up being chased by Teddy
Roosevelt and the Rough Riders, yeah, I'd say that's an understatement.

CUT TO:

Dolly and ROB turn a corner and find Dan walking back towards them. Dan is munching on what looks like an oversized iced sugar cookie.

DAN

Oh, hey, guys!

DOLLY

Dan, how many times have I told you not to run—what the heck is that?

DAN

I got it from this great little bakery down the street! Huge cookies, brownies,
the whole shebang!

DOLLY
(Perplexed)

That doesn't sound right. Give me the Chronostaff.

Dan reaches into his jacket and hands Dolly the Chronostaff.

DAN

Here ya go.

Dolly activates the Chronostaff, opening a glowing portal in the air above it. Inside we see TRAVIS AND MRS. CRABTREE, Dolly and Dan's upstairs neighbors, sitting on a sofa. Travis is holding an old Colecovision controller, while Mrs. Crabtree has a laptop balanced on the couch arm next to her.

TRAVIS

About time you called. Where are you?

DOLLY

Paris. Looks like somewhere in the late 18th Century.

CUT TO:

INT. THE CRABTREES LIVING ROOM

This is basically the reverse of the previous shot. The Crabtrees are still on the couch, while Dolly, Dan, and ROB are on their TV screen.

MRS. CRABTREE
(looking at her laptop)

Try 1789. About two weeks before the French Revolution.

ROB

Wait. You mean I get to see humans in hilarious
wigs getting their heads lopped off? In public?

MRS. CRABTREE

Normally, I'd say yes.

DOLLY

Normally?

CLOSE UP OF DOLLY

DOLLY
(sighs)

What's the problem this time?

CLOSE ON MRS. CRABTREE

MRS. CRABTREE

Well, according to HistoryWiki, there was supposed to be
a revolution around then, but for some reason the citizens suddenly
stopped being disgruntled. No one's been able to figure out why.

TRAVIS

Kind of like how we've never been able to figure out why
we still know what's supposed to happen and don't have our memories
altered whenever you guys screw up history.

---

That's all there is at present. I'm still writing, but I'm also getting ready to move cross country so it's slow going. In any event, I hope it gave you a chuckle or two.

--Erin M.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought Experiment: 80s Dan: The Cartoon Series!   Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:53 pm

Those ideas are bloody freakin brilliant =)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thecinemasnob.forumotion.com
Shallow 15

PostSubject: Re: Thought Experiment: 80s Dan: The Cartoon Series!   Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:24 pm

Admin wrote:
Those ideas are bloody freakin brilliant =)

WOOHOO! Thank you, sir!

--Erin M.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hybrid Pig-Boy

PostSubject: Re: Thought Experiment: 80s Dan: The Cartoon Series!   Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:18 am

Just thought I'd make a contribution to the best fuggin' idea ever. Very Happy

I'm not much of an artist; when I'm not drawing outside of a specific style, I tend to get frustrated fast. But I figured this cause was worthy of trying out my artistic chops. Here's my interpretation of 80s Dan and crew!

[Only admins are allowed to see this image]

Let's start with Dan/Brad...I kept him in a different, slightly more realistic style to emphasize that he's from a different decade. 80s animation used complex character designs that, while cartoony, retained a lot of anatomical similarty. The rest of the characters are simply shaped and more simplified than Dan, based off of some of the smoother designs found in animation today (more specifically shows like My Life as a Teenage Robot, which I'm heavily versed in.) Dan turned out pretty well here; I based a lot of his appearance on the Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventures series. For those wondering what insane video he's holding in his hand, it's probably "Max Monroe, Loose Cannon".

Brian is the first person I drew here, and I'm very happy with how he turned out. I was considering giving him red hair as a shout-out to The Real Ghostbusters giving Stantz that and a larger belly (as also applied by Limozeen), but he's enough of a contrast to Brad that it would be unnecessary, not to mention that it's not in use that much in the modern day. God, I love his expression here. Sums him up perfectly.

Jillian was the last person I drew, and by that time I was burned out from struggling with the others. Her head turned out fine, but I've been struggling to go for the Hartman Hips look for her, which I failed at tremendously. Looking back on it, I can probably do a far better version, and I'll certainly do more if asked.

[Only admins are allowed to see this image]

Sarah (Mrs. Crabtree) and ROB were fun to work with. Sarah's a bit more svelte than usual, but apart from that she turned out great. I had a lot of fun with designing her hairstyle and expression. Rob definitely needs some work, though; in the future, I think I'll go for a more retro-cartoony design for him, since he's from the 80s like Brad. Maybe he should have the pork belly and red hair...

Last edited by RetsofNoraa on Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : How was I to know Corman's "Fantastic Four" wasn't in the 80s? Because I'm stupid, that's why!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Subterfuge

PostSubject: Re: Thought Experiment: 80s Dan: The Cartoon Series!   Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:05 am

After watching the update from Brad on the website, I'm wondering: Is this how the whole 80's Dan cartoon series came to be? Surprised
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hybrid Pig-Boy

PostSubject: Re: Thought Experiment: 80s Dan: The Cartoon Series!   Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:10 am

Subterfuge wrote:

After watching the update from Brad on the website, I'm wondering: Is this how the whole 80's Dan cartoon series came to be? Surprised

You mean the Game Boys cartoon series? I think that's been in development for a while.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Subterfuge

PostSubject: Re: Thought Experiment: 80s Dan: The Cartoon Series!   Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:13 am

Was that a series based on Game Boys? If so, my bad... I guess I'm getting old hehe... I really thought it was an 80's Dan cartoon series he talked about in the last video update.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaltesorensen

PostSubject: Re: Thought Experiment: 80s Dan: The Cartoon Series!   Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:02 pm

After the animated series of game boys, Brad should think of animating 80s Dan.

OR
Pierre Kirby - the animated series

OR
The Cinemasnob 2 as animated..... (or as a porn)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Subterfuge

PostSubject: Re: Thought Experiment: 80s Dan: The Cartoon Series!   Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:06 pm

jaltesorensen wrote:
After the animated series of game boys, Brad should think of animating 80s Dan.

OR
Pierre Kirby - the animated series

OR
The Cinemasnob 2 as animated..... (or as a porn)

Yup, that's the wonderful side of animation, you can make stuff happen that could simply not happen otherwise. Example: Kung Tai Ted meets Pierre Kirby. Now! That's something I'd be willing to watch!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thought Experiment: 80s Dan: The Cartoon Series!   

Back to top Go down

Thought Experiment: 80s Dan: The Cartoon Series!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1