The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Times you were disappointed in a movie?

Go down 
+2
Frank Rizzo
Randy Spears
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Randy Spears

Randy Spears

Times you were disappointed in a movie? Empty
PostSubject: Times you were disappointed in a movie?   Times you were disappointed in a movie? EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 7:13 am

Everyone has a time they were hyped to see a movie and when they saw it was disappointed.

I remember being hyped up to see 3000 Miles to Graceland (Eventhough looking back I don't see why). Ten minutes into the movie I was thinking why in the world am I watching this?

Anyone else have a story like that?
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Times you were disappointed in a movie?   Times you were disappointed in a movie? EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 7:34 am

Silence of the Hams: thought it was gonna be a good spoof movie, was sadly dissapointed.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Times you were disappointed in a movie?   Times you were disappointed in a movie? EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 8:36 am

Frank Rizzo wrote:
Silence of the Hams: thought it was gonna be a good spoof movie, was sadly dissapointed.
Having seen a clip from that movie, I'm not sure what you could have expected.
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Times you were disappointed in a movie?   Times you were disappointed in a movie? EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 9:45 am

The Dude wrote:
Frank Rizzo wrote:

I had hoped for something funny.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Times you were disappointed in a movie?   Times you were disappointed in a movie? EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 11:30 am

Frank Rizzo wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Frank Rizzo wrote:

It seemed like a Jane Austin's Mafia! kind of movie. I take it you're not into that.
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Times you were disappointed in a movie?   Times you were disappointed in a movie? EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 8:28 pm

The Dude wrote:
Frank Rizzo wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Frank Rizzo wrote:

It seemed like a Jane Austin's Mafia! kind of movie. I take it you're not into that.

I'm a fan of spoof movies in general, and, IMO anyway, most that I've seen have kinda dissapointed me.
Back to top Go down
Mondo a Go-Go

Mondo a Go-Go

PostSubject: Re: Times you were disappointed in a movie?   Times you were disappointed in a movie? EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 1:09 am

Cabaret. I love Weimar Germany in general and cabaret culture in particular, Joel Grey and Liza Minnelli are great, and I love the soundtrack, so I was ready for a great time. I couldn't finish it. The beginning was fun, with Sally Bowles in the club and the Jewish romance/rise of Nazis subplot, but after that it just lurched from scene to scene with no real plot to speak of, and the editing was really awful. I liked that the music numbers were daigetic, but I expected a story in and about the characters and shenanigans of Berlin's cabarets, not a bland love story with the occasional music number randomly inserted into a scene.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Times you were disappointed in a movie?   Times you were disappointed in a movie? EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 7:41 am

Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
Cabaret. I love Weimar Germany in general and cabaret culture in particular, Joel Grey and Liza Minnelli are great, and I love the soundtrack, so I was ready for a great time. I couldn't finish it. The beginning was fun, with Sally Bowles in the club and the Jewish romance/rise of Nazis subplot, but after that it just lurched from scene to scene with no real plot to speak of, and the editing was really awful. I liked that the music numbers were daigetic, but I expected a story in and about the characters and shenanigans of Berlin's cabarets, not a bland love story with the occasional music number randomly inserted into a scene.
Funny you should mention that you're a fan of cabaret, as I've been meaning to go see one for the longest time; there are several troupes (is that what they call them in cabaret?) down here that still put on Saturday Night shows.
Back to top Go down
Mondo a Go-Go

Mondo a Go-Go

PostSubject: Re: Times you were disappointed in a movie?   Times you were disappointed in a movie? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 1:10 am

The Dude wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
Funny you should mention that you're a fan of cabaret, as I've been meaning to go see one for the longest time; there are several troupes (is that what they call them in cabaret?) down here that still put on Saturday Night shows.
That's great. I looked on Google for cabarets near me and only got strip clubs. Guess I'll have to head down to Florida!
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Times you were disappointed in a movie?   Times you were disappointed in a movie? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 7:49 am

Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
That's great. I looked on Google for cabarets near me and only got strip clubs. Guess I'll have to head down to Florida!
We also have roller-derbies, apparently. I seen the girls on the street handing out flyers to promote their leagues.
Back to top Go down
Mondo a Go-Go

Mondo a Go-Go

PostSubject: Re: Times you were disappointed in a movie?   Times you were disappointed in a movie? EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 5:47 am

The Dude wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
We also have roller-derbies, apparently. I seen the girls on the street handing out flyers to promote their leagues.
You should go and tell us how it is!
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Times you were disappointed in a movie?   Times you were disappointed in a movie? EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 6:46 am

Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
You should go and tell us how it is!
Do a vlog on one, perhaps. It's one way to kill a Saturday.
Back to top Go down
Quinton Moad

PostSubject: Re: Times you were disappointed in a movie?   Times you were disappointed in a movie? EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 3:28 am

This new wave of filmmakers who try to make "old school" exploitation movies. They spend more money promoting the movie than they do actually making it and viral critics, for one reason or another, give it rave reviews. I remember waiting to see HATCHET after hearing what a great "throwback to the golden age of slasher flicks" it was and how it gave Hollywood a "much-needed kick in the ass." I rented it when it came out on DVD and hated it with a passion, mostly because of how over-hyped it was. I revisited it several times and found it to be not that bad, but I'm still aggravated at how much good press it got. Adam Green himself billed it as "old school American horror" but I didn't see what was so old school about it at all.

BLACK DEVIL DOLL is another movie I thought I was going to like a lot and I had to check it out, especially after Brad gave it a decent review. But I felt gypped after I watched it (thankfully, I only rented it from Netflix) because it was almost nothing like the movies it billed itself as a "homage" to. The humor in it was also very bland and uninspired and the doll especially wasn't funny.

There are a few that do impress me though. POULTRYGEIST - NIGHT OF THE CHICKEN DEAD (the first truly good movie Lloyd Kaufman made since TERROR FIRMER) reminded me of Sam Raimi or Peter Jackson's early work and GUTTERBALLS, a movie that is written and directed by Ryan Nicholson of Plotdigger Films notoriety, was an awesome throwback to the slasher movies of the 1980s. It takes place at a cool, neon-lighted bowling alley, the characters all wear colorful '80s clothes and the soundtrack is all vintage '70s and '80s classic Canadian rock tunes. The gore in both movies was VERY well done and the gross out humor was so funny and outrageous. There is one on the way from another Canadian company, Astron-6, named FATHER'S DAY, which looks BAD ASS.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Times you were disappointed in a movie?   Times you were disappointed in a movie? EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 9:44 am

Quinton Moad wrote:
This new wave of filmmakers who try to make "old school" exploitation movies. They spend more money promoting the movie than they do actually making it and viral critics, for one reason or another, give it rave reviews. I remember waiting to see HATCHET after hearing what a great "throwback to the golden age of slasher flicks" it was and how it gave Hollywood a "much-needed kick in the ass." I rented it when it came out on DVD and hated it with a passion, mostly because of how over-hyped it was. I revisited it several times and found it to be not that bad, but I'm still aggravated at how much good press it got. Adam Green himself billed it as "old school American horror" but I didn't see what was so old school about it at all.

I thought Machete was good.
Back to top Go down
Quinton Moad

PostSubject: Re: Times you were disappointed in a movie?   Times you were disappointed in a movie? EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 7:41 am

MACHETE is really entertaining, but I think the only one that really hit the mark is GUTTERBALLS and I also really like DRIVE ANGRY. Rodriguez and Tarantino's GRINDHOUSE movies aren't as great as fan boys say they are. They're really entertaining but they try too hard. The grainy film stock and fake trailers are cool, but they don't really add anything to the movie. It doesn't feel like a true exploitation movie experience but more of a parody except it's not funny. GUTTERBALLS and DRIVE ANGRY aren't meant to be taken seriously, but they appear to take themselves seriously, as most real exploitation movies from that era do, so they have more authenticity than the Rodriguez/Tarantino movies.

HATCHET felt just like this generation's horror movies. The only thing it borrowed from the era it billed itself as a throwback to is the formula. BLACK DEVIL DOLL just missed the mark entirely. If you want a good parody of drive-in era blaxploitation movies then stick with I'M GONNA GIT YOU SUCKA, UNDERCOVER BROTHER and BLACK DYNAMITE. Those are terrific parodies that are funny.
Back to top Go down
UKdecay

UKdecay

PostSubject: Re: Times you were disappointed in a movie?   Times you were disappointed in a movie? EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 10:14 am

three words.

The Phantom Menace.

I felt a little bit of me die that day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Times you were disappointed in a movie?   Times you were disappointed in a movie? Empty

Back to top Go down

Times you were disappointed in a movie?
Page 1 of 1