HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

What game are you playing now?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
relauby

PostSubject: What game are you playing now?   Sun May 01, 2011 10:15 pm

I guess this is kind of like the "What was the last movie you watched?" except with games.

After loving Portal 2 so much, I'm going on a bit of a Valve kick. I'm mostly playing Half-Life 2 on The Orange Box and switching between Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 every now and then. I'll probably take a break from that though to try out the Escalation map pack for Black Ops, mostly for that new zombie map that has George Romero in it (and Danny Trejo and Robert Englund for some reason).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnholyMephistopheles

PostSubject: Re: What game are you playing now?   Mon May 02, 2011 1:22 am

minecraft working on my house made entirely of diamonds very close to completion this is the best game with little to no story but ive tried portal 2 and yes it is very good
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What game are you playing now?   Mon May 02, 2011 2:10 am

UnholyMephistopheles wrote:
minecraft working on my house made entirely of diamonds very close to completion this is the best game with little to no story but ive tried portal 2 and yes it is very good
I do love me some minecraft. Lately I've been getting back into Morrowind in anticipation for Elder Scrolls V.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eckertmania

PostSubject: Re: What game are you playing now?   Mon May 02, 2011 10:46 am

I been playing more SSF4 in training mode; trying to help my execution so that if I go to Evo or North East Championships I'm not dropping Abel's BnB combos (damn one frame links.)

I've also been playing Mass Effect 2. Again. And I'll probably play through Mass Effect 1 again with an entirely different build from the last 10. Or not. Might just run a vanguard again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://asliceomind.wordpress.com/
Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: What game are you playing now?   Mon May 02, 2011 7:40 pm

Been playing Super Mario World on the SNES lately.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What game are you playing now?   Tue May 03, 2011 12:49 am

Gonna hit that minecraft later this afternoon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mondo a Go-Go

PostSubject: Re: What game are you playing now?   Tue May 03, 2011 4:30 am

I'm hopelessly addicted to Minecraft, but have been looking for the PC version of Bioshock at my friend's behest. Ayn Rand allusions make me a very happy person.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What game are you playing now?   Tue May 03, 2011 5:31 am

*Sigh*
Fucking Ayn Rand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: What game are you playing now?   Tue May 03, 2011 6:35 am

Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
I'm hopelessly addicted to Minecraft, but have been looking for the PC version of Bioshock at my friend's behest. Ayn Rand allusions make me a very happy person.

A random heads-up... if you've played Arkham Asylum, Bioshock won't do much for you at this point. They pretty much have the same atmosphere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnholyMephistopheles

PostSubject: Re: What game are you playing now?   Tue May 03, 2011 6:44 am

minecraft is my crack its cheaper, legal, and accepted amung the world but recently when i need to get the coffee can behind the milk jug in the morning theres half a second where i want to mine it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What game are you playing now?   Tue May 03, 2011 9:20 am

minecraft is my crack its cheaper, legal, and accepted amung the world but recently when i need to get the coffee can behind the milk jug in the morning theres half a second where i want to mine it
I spent a good couple of hours just dicking around in the Nether today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
barrylikesbnbns

PostSubject: Re: What game are you playing now?   Tue May 03, 2011 11:27 pm

I tried to post earlier but Internet Explorer at the college decided to delete my long ass post about Dwarf Fortress, but oh well I'm home now.

I love Minecraft, and me and my buddies run a few servers for each other. We play Hardcore, Economics and Building most of the time, and also try out pretty rad mods like Cuboid. I recommend it.

As for games I cam currently playing, like I said in the opening, pretty much Dwarf Fortress, alongside Armed Assault 2 and Minecraft. Before I write about Dwarf Fortress, let me say I play D&D, so that may bias the post.

If you have the patience to learn a game for a few months, as if it where a hobby, you will find Dwarf Fortress to be the only game you will ever need. Once you learn it - it is that good. As for exactly what the game is, Dwarf Fortress is an RTS based upon an indie, but frighteningly complex, pseudo 3D engine. The game engine involves an erosion system, and an AI mapping capability that would put GTA's sat-nav abilities to shame.

When your dwarfs are not fighting, sulking or getting drunk, they are doing whatever it is you can coerce them into doing, such as, bee-keeping, glass craftsmanship, and brewing. By coerce, I mean that the actual player is not a character in the game, but somewhat the concious spirit of the combined Dwarfs. That is to say, that there is no single protagonist to which you as the player are controlling, meaning that you are the famous RTS 'God' that controls the flow of your Fortress.

There are multiple objectives to the game, the primary ones are which are to create a Fortress consisting of Dwarfs. The idea is to create a chronicled masterpiece of a tale, about whatever it is that the fantastic AI sees fit. Creating a fortress includes, but is not limited to:

> 'Coercing' your Dwarfs into establishing a self sufficient economy to which trade goods can also be exported and bargained with
> Establishing a formidable army of Dwarfs, wielding magnificently exotic weapons and fighting off hordes of incoming seiges.
> Creating the most incredible tale of finance, economics, disaster and exploit.

Although not particularly graphically appealing, Dwarf Fortress juxtaposes its seemingly simple design by default. Its graphical capabilities are stunted only by its complexity, meaning that the best computer of this current generation could not handle a truely 3D version, even on a framework such as DirectX, simply because of the engine and AI. At a 200 dwarf fortress, a 6 core AMD struggles to run it at any higher than 30 FPS.

The default appearance of Dwarf Fortress

The Mike 'Mayday' graphics pack alternative

Ugly in appeal and design, there are alternate means to which a person can play Dwarf Fortress for its graphical appeal, but to some limitation. 'Graphical Packs' are naturally supported mods that make the game look, and feel, like an actual video game, opposed to an acid trip in The Matrix. The ASCII version is, undeniably, unappealing to a newcomer of this genre or field, and that is why the graphics packs have been created, They make the game more accessible, understandable and easier to learn to newer players, and even older players will say they add a certain SNES or Genesis feel to the appearance.

Dwarf Fortress is probably the greatest game I have ever played, and I doubt a masterpiece of such will ever exist again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What game are you playing now?   Wed May 04, 2011 12:44 am

barrylikesbnbns wrote:
Dwarf Fortress is probably the greatest game I have ever played, and I doubt a masterpiece of such will ever exist again.
At least not for a couple years, at which point high-end computers will probably have advanced to the point that a true 3-D top-down game of this magnitude can be supported.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: What game are you playing now?   Wed May 04, 2011 1:05 am

I've been meaning to play Dwarf Fortress for about a month now. Maybe I'll get to it now that I've seen such high praise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
barrylikesbnbns

PostSubject: Re: What game are you playing now?   Wed May 04, 2011 1:15 am

The Dude wrote:
barrylikesbnbns wrote:
At least not for a couple years, at which point high-end computers will probably have advanced to the point that a true 3-D top-down game of this magnitude can be supported.

Sorry I should had elaborated on the 3D / 2D way it works. Its basically a 2D game with Z levels, meaning you toggle up and down between layers of earth or platform.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mondo a Go-Go

PostSubject: Re: What game are you playing now?   Wed May 04, 2011 2:39 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:

A random heads-up... if you've played Arkham Asylum, Bioshock won't do much for you at this point. They pretty much have the same atmosphere.
I haven't played Arkham Asylum, so I'm all set. I'm probably a good 5 years behind the video game world at this point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A Cockatrice

PostSubject: Re: What game are you playing now?   Wed May 04, 2011 11:33 am

Currently I am playing the new MK. Even though multiplayer laggy, it's still a blast. I also just kicked Spoony's ass online.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: What game are you playing now?   Wed May 04, 2011 9:01 pm

A Cockatrice wrote:
Currently I am playing the new MK. Even though multiplayer laggy, it's still a blast. I also just kicked Spoony's ass online.

Who'd Spoony play as?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A Cockatrice

PostSubject: Re: What game are you playing now?   Thu May 05, 2011 12:07 am

Frank Rizzo wrote:
A Cockatrice wrote:

Who'd Spoony play as?

Johnny Cage. He wasn't bad, except he gave me a 5 for beating him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnknownKadath

Location : I live in my namesake, of course!.. Okay, in real life - Japan.

PostSubject: Re: What game are you playing now?   Fri May 06, 2011 7:04 pm

I'm juggling between a re-play through of Mass Effect 2 (I forgot to back up my saves when I had to reformat my hard disk Sad Though, it is fun seeing how some of my choices are shaping to be different.) and I've been slowly chipping away at Dragon Age: Origins. I expected to hate it at first because a friend of mine compared it to "Old final fantasy" in gameplay and even old Final Fantasy isn't for me. It's clear that he was sniffing glue though. I'm enjoying it, especially the fact it uses tactical combat - that's something that can always hook me in. It's also why the first two Fallout games and the Tactical spinoff (You'll never guess it's title: Fallout Tactics. Shocking, huh?) are my favourite RPGs. I did get pissed at the game though when I got to a point where my character and squad literally could not defeat an early boss, and even the bloody BioWare tipline said "Make a new character." That's a serious design flaw for a Role Playing Game. Still good though; and I think it combined with Knights of the Old Republic and the Mass Effect games are solidifying BioWare as one of the few RPG developers I'll stand behind.

Mondo a Go-Go wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:
Mondo a Go-Go wrote:

I haven't played Arkham Asylum, so I'm all set. I'm probably a good 5 years behind the video game world at this point.

I somewhat agree and disagree. I can see the similarities in atmosphere, but I think the story and setting of BioShock earns it extra points. The only reason Arkham eclipses it for me though is A) I get to be nerdy about being Batman in full form and B) It has a LOT more replay value than BioShock. I dusted off BioShock to get the bad ending once, and it was still a cool story - but there really isn't much reason to go back to it. At least Arkham had some incentive to play again like the "Test your reflexes" hard mode, the challenges, and the secrets.

A Cockatrice wrote:
Frank Rizzo wrote:
A Cockatrice wrote:

Who'd Spoony play as?

Johnny Cage. He wasn't bad, except he gave me a 5 for beating him.

I thought he said he didn't like Mortal Kombat. *shrug* I am looking forward to playing the new MK though myself; MK has always been my favourite fighting game series, even if my introduction to it was the neutered SNES port. I still whip out my copy of Deception and MK: Trilogy on occasion, for me they are probably my favourites so far.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
A Cockatrice

PostSubject: Re: What game are you playing now?   Fri May 06, 2011 11:58 pm

UnknownKadath wrote:
I thought he said he didn't like Mortal Kombat. *shrug* I am looking forward to playing the new MK though myself; MK has always been my favourite fighting game series, even if my introduction to it was the neutered SNES port. I still whip out my copy of Deception and MK: Trilogy on occasion, for me they are probably my favourites so far.

He doesn't, I was playing him when he was testing out the online and thus contributing to that rant by playing as a teleporting guy. MK9 is honestly the best MK to date, and easily one of the goriest ones too. To me it's a must buy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: What game are you playing now?   Sat May 07, 2011 5:47 am

UnknownKadath wrote:
I somewhat agree and disagree. I can see the similarities in atmosphere, but I think the story and setting of BioShock earns it extra points. The only reason Arkham eclipses it for me though is A) I get to be nerdy about being Batman in full form and B) It has a LOT more replay value than BioShock. I dusted off BioShock to get the bad ending once, and it was still a cool story - but there really isn't much reason to go back to it. At least Arkham had some incentive to play again like the "Test your reflexes" hard mode, the challenges, and the secrets.

I guess that's probably just me. I played Bioshock after AA, and I didn't find it all that interesting. Then again, I didn't get all that far. Maybe I should try it out again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
UnknownKadath

Location : I live in my namesake, of course!.. Okay, in real life - Japan.

PostSubject: Re: What game are you playing now?   Sat May 07, 2011 10:41 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:

I guess that's probably just me. I played Bioshock after AA, and I didn't find it all that interesting. Then again, I didn't get all that far. Maybe I should try it out again.

There's no denying that BioShock is a little overrated, truth be told. It really was just the story and some of the atmospheric bits that made it worthwhile. I have limited enthusiasm towards it, but I do have to admit that BioShock: Infinite caught my eyes even if I was one of the "BioShock 2 was a retarded idea and I am glad I skipped it" people. BioShock could have been much better though, seeing it's lineage. It had the same atmosphere and "tone" as System Shock 2, but BioShock failed to capture the depth, fear, and many of the other things that made SS2 special. I'm glad that BioShock brought some attention back to Irrational, but I wish that it'd also get more people to look back at SS2. I'm normally against remakes, but seeing how popular BioShock is and how SS2 is still a "Cult PC" thing - they should dust off SS2, beef up the engine and try to get it in the ring again.

A Cockatrice wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:

He doesn't, I was playing him when he was testing out the online and thus contributing to that rant by playing as a teleporting guy. MK9 is honestly the best MK to date, and easily one of the goriest ones too. To me it's a must buy.

Ahh. When I have some cash, I'm definitely snagging a copy. Like I said, MK is definitely my favourite fighting series. In fact truth be told I'm not a huge fighting game fan; but I always enjoyed Mortal Kombat (I do occasionally enjoy Street Fighter with the right friends though.) because it was a bit simpler, but just as satisfying (if not more so) than the others. I'm split on what version I should get; I don't give a damn about graphics, but I prefer the PS3's controller and most of my friends have PS3s - but there is the PSN issue right now (Thank god I never bought anything from the PSN yet.) so I guess it'll depend on whether or not that gets fixed by the time I raise the money to grab a copy.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
A Cockatrice

PostSubject: Re: What game are you playing now?   Sat May 07, 2011 11:29 am

UnknownKadath wrote:
Ahh. When I have some cash, I'm definitely snagging a copy. Like I said, MK is definitely my favourite fighting series. In fact truth be told I'm not a huge fighting game fan; but I always enjoyed Mortal Kombat (I do occasionally enjoy Street Fighter with the right friends though.) because it was a bit simpler, but just as satisfying (if not more so) than the others. I'm split on what version I should get; I don't give a damn about graphics, but I prefer the PS3's controller and most of my friends have PS3s - but there is the PSN issue right now (Thank god I never bought anything from the PSN yet.) so I guess it'll depend on whether or not that gets fixed by the time I raise the money to grab a copy.

Just go with the PS3 version and this is coming from a guy who has the 360 version. PSN will probably be coming back up next week, and the Xbox controller is ass when it comes to D-pad fighters you also have friends with PS3's and that is what makes fighting games more fun. Also the netcoding on the game is pretty bad right now, but they did promise a patch for it soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: What game are you playing now?   Sun May 08, 2011 4:23 am

A Cockatrice wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:

Just go with the PS3 version and this is coming from a guy who has the 360 version. PSN will probably be coming back up next week, and the Xbox controller is ass when it comes to D-pad fighters you also have friends with PS3's and that is what makes fighting games more fun. Also the netcoding on the game is pretty bad right now, but they did promise a patch for it soon.
I still laugh to myself whenever I think of Sony's colossal failure with their won network. Retribution for years of Red-Ring jokes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What game are you playing now?   

Back to top Go down

What game are you playing now?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next