Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Adventure games thread!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
UnknownKadath

Location : I live in my namesake, of course!.. Okay, in real life - Japan.

PostSubject: Adventure games thread!   Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:12 pm

So, adventure game fans: Discuss 'em! Tell us about your favourites, reminisce, all that good stuff. I actually think that the adventure genre is probably the closest to my heart and the most nostalgic. I actually get sentimental over some of them; particularly Sam & Max Hit The Road. It was the first computer game I remember playing (Not the first video game though, the first video games I remember playing as a kid were Sonic the Hedgehog CD and Yoshi's Island.) and part of what made it a special memory besides the fact that the game had me laughing my butt off and introduced me to the genre, was the fact that I played it with my mum. We both laughed at it and she helped ease any frustration I had when I'd get stuck on some of the hardest puzzles, so its kind of a fond memory. After that I found myself checking out any LucasArts adventure I could get my hands on, both old and new. They are so dear to me. My favourites would be The Curse of Monkey Island, (My favourite Monkey Island game. Also - even today, it is a downright gorgeous game. Excluding laserdisc "games," I'd say it's the closest to having a fully animated interactive cartoon we've gotten.) Full Throttle, and of course Sam & Max Hit The Road.

I'm so glad that Telltale is bringing the adventure genre back into the spotlight. They haven't attained the full glory of the old school LucasArts games, but they are still a ton of fun. I've thoroughly enjoyed all 3 of their Sam & Max seasons (Which kept getting better and better - I hope they eventually do a 4th season.), I just barely got around to playing and adored Tales of Monkey Island (Though it is inferior to the first 3; though superior to 4. 4 was.... ech.. Not just complaining about the awful control interface either, 4 was just kind of a damp squib. It had a couple fun moments though.) and their Back to the Future series is awesome so far.

I'm going to wrap this up and let the discussions begin even though there's a lot more I'd like to mention in the genre, but with one last quick thing: I do have to admit something that often makes fellow adventure gamers look at me funny; I'm not really a fan of the Sierra games. With the exception of maybe Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within, I just never really cared for their games like Leisure Suit Larry or Kings Quest. They don't have the same appeal to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: Adventure games thread!   Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:02 pm

My favorite older adventure games are the Gabriel Knight games. 'Sins of the Father' and 'Beast Within' were great, 'Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned' was the final nail in the adventure game coffin pre-telltale however.

That said I agree with you for the most part about Sierra games, the only other one I would recommend is Phantasmagoria 1. I remember getting that one for my '95 machine, it had 8 discs...

I am loving the ‘Walking Dead’ adventure games that telltale has put out. They're more akin to the comic than the tv show.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaltesorensen

PostSubject: Re: Adventure games thread!   Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:04 pm

I was a big fan of all the Lucas Arts adventure games and the Westwood Kyrandia games.

Cant say which are my favorites among them, since I love them all. But Ive used most time (having fun) on Day of the Tentacle and Kyrandia 3 Malcoms revenge. Many adventure-gamers hated Malcoms revenge. I loved it, because it had multiple ways of coming throgh game, and not just that one way the designer had chosen. It was kinda like Maniac Mansion.

Loved Monkey Island 1 - 3 and Sam and Max as well.

The Dig was more like a movie, but an awesome sci fi movie-thingee.

Tim Schaefers games were also good, though I played Full Throttle more than Grim Fandango. And it's cool that Grim Fandango is getting a HD remake-ish-thingee, since if it is successful it might convince Disney of reviving the other Lucasarts adventure-game franchises they own. A new tentacle game would be cool.

Tell-tales adventure games i enjoy. I really thought their Monkey Island games was great. Much better than the 4th one. And I enjoyed Back to the future as well. Havent played their sam and max games as much.

And then there is Tim Schaefers Broken Age. I really liked it. But I found it to be too easy. Just use all your inventory on everything and you will go through the game easily. Or at least that was the first part. The second part im sure will be harder.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alyxx

PostSubject: Re: Adventure games thread!   Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:34 am

Grim Fandango is one of my favourite games of all time. The Norwegian-developed "The Longest Journey" is also up there, though the plot kinda got confused with itself and the sequel sucked absolute shit...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alyxxgameroom.blogspot.no
Inquisitor

PostSubject: Re: Adventure games thread!   Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:32 pm

Speaking of adventure games…

The most recent snob-isode (Shock Treatment) comment section has lead me to find out that the movie studio ‘Black Castle’ is making a film adaptation of ‘Phantasmagoria’. Given the history of video game movies, I’m sincerely hoping this movie turns out to be really good amid the millions of Uwe Bolls. The fact that it is an adventure game being adapted bodes better for plot, characters, and pacing than say something like Mario or Zelda would lend to a movie sit.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3045366/
https://www.facebook.com/PhantasmagoriaBCP
Funny how things work out like that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adventure games thread!   

Back to top Go down

Adventure games thread!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1