Pierre Kirby Approved.
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Eli Roth hate

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Bassbait

avatar

Posts : 29
Join date : 2011-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:12 am

Am I the only one who thinks it isn't ironic that Quentin Tarantino produces Roth's poorly written movies? (hint hint).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tommy Wiseau

avatar

Posts : 369
Join date : 2011-01-19
Age : 23
Location : Back East. Where back East? Different places!

PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:03 pm

Bassbait wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks it isn't ironic that Quentin Tarantino produces Roth's poorly written movies? (hint hint).

Technically, he's an executive producer... which means he has almost no control over the quality of the film.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bassbait

avatar

Posts : 29
Join date : 2011-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:20 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
Bassbait wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks it isn't ironic that Quentin Tarantino produces Roth's poorly written movies? (hint hint).

Technically, he's an executive producer... which means he has almost no control over the quality of the film.

Ya, I know. It was a joke. But are you saying that The Elephant Man's greatness was ENTIRELY David Lynch's doing? Because Mel Brooks produced that. Sometimes, a film's producer says a lot about the film. Spielberg only produces films that qualify in HIS mind as a film that is worth producing.

That means, at some point, Quentin Tarantino saw the script for Hostel, and thought, "THIS MOVIE NEEDS TO BE MADE".

Do you honestly think Tarantino would have signed on to produce the film if he thought that it was crap? For a guy who is renowned for great screenplays and dialogue, how does he end up producing such schlock? Maybe it's possible that he isn't such an amazing writer?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

avatar

Posts : 1298
Join date : 2011-01-19
Location : Tampa

PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:24 am

Bassbait wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:
Bassbait wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks it isn't ironic that Quentin Tarantino produces Roth's poorly written movies? (hint hint).

Technically, he's an executive producer... which means he has almost no control over the quality of the film.

Ya, I know. It was a joke. But are you saying that The Elephant Man's greatness was ENTIRELY David Lynch's doing? Because Mel Brooks produced that. Sometimes, a film's producer says a lot about the film. Spielberg only produces films that qualify in HIS mind as a film that is worth producing.
Hence why he is producing the third Transformers movie...which takes place on the moon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tommy Wiseau

avatar

Posts : 369
Join date : 2011-01-19
Age : 23
Location : Back East. Where back East? Different places!

PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:46 am

Bassbait wrote:

That means, at some point, Quentin Tarantino saw the script for Hostel, and thought, "THIS MOVIE NEEDS TO BE MADE".

Do you honestly think Tarantino would have signed on to produce the film if he thought that it was crap? For a guy who is renowned for great screenplays and dialogue, how does he end up producing such schlock? Maybe it's possible that he isn't such an amazing writer?

He's probably doing it as a favour to Eli Roth, who is his friend. He also probably knows that those films make money, no matter how much they suck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
IAKO



Posts : 83
Join date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:59 am

And he could be a good (or great, or mediocre, or bad) writer/director who also has shitty tastes, that doesn't seem implausible to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bassbait

avatar

Posts : 29
Join date : 2011-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:52 am

I Am a Knock Off wrote:
And he could be a good (or great, or mediocre, or bad) writer/director who also has shitty tastes, that doesn't seem implausible to me.

I would think it possible. But I think he's a bad writer. I think his dialogue is as clunky, out of place, and irrelevant as Eli Roth's. Roth has embarrassingly bad dialogue, and I think he takes a lot of it from Tarantino's style. That's just me.

Bottom line, Roth deserves the hate he gets for making the crappy films he does. Tarantino deserves at least SOME disapproval, because he's definitely an overrated director. There are far better out there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

avatar

Posts : 1298
Join date : 2011-01-19
Location : Tampa

PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:06 am

Bassbait wrote:
I think he takes a lot of it from Tarantino's style.
I don't recall ever seeing a Tarantino film where the characters just sit around and call each other gay for 90 minutes...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KingLDub



Posts : 11
Join date : 2011-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:26 pm

I actually enjoy the dialogue from Tarantino's characters if I'm honest, well, apart from Death Proof because I genuinely hated that movie. I know what I'd rather listen to and it's not homophobic frat boys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Angie Matera

avatar

Posts : 564
Join date : 2011-01-23
Age : 28
Location : Puerto rico

PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:05 pm

KingLDub wrote:
I actually enjoy the dialogue from Tarantino's characters if I'm honest, well, apart from Death Proof because I genuinely hated that movie. I know what I'd rather listen to and it's not homophobic frat boys.
I fully agree. death proof sucked. I acutally think tarintino and roth areopposites. Roth is one of our times worst writers whill tarintinos is one of our times best
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/angelina.matera
MonkeyMan



Posts : 10
Join date : 2011-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:44 am

It has been my experience that Roth is a love 'em or hate 'em kind of guy. Personally, I love him.

I understand many criticize his "terrible dialogue" and "unlikeable characters," but I respectfully disagree. I grew quite attached to Paxton and Josh in Hostel, as well as Beth and Lorna in Hostel: Part 2. Hell, I found myself identifying with Stuart and Todd, which is a testament to both his writing and directing given their fates.

Cabin Fever, Hostel and it's sequels are among my favorite horror films of the last decade - With Hostel being one of my top ten films of all time. So perhaps I'm a little biased, I don't know.

As far as the questions regarding Tarantino - The answers can be found on the commentaries of either Hostel films. Tarantino was actually Roth's script doctor while writing Hostel, and quite loved the story Eli came up with. He's also quite pleased with the final results.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

avatar

Posts : 1298
Join date : 2011-01-19
Location : Tampa

PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:45 am

LordSimen wrote:
As far as the questions regarding Tarantino - The answers can be found on the commentaries of either Hostel films. Tarantino was actually Roth's script doctor while writing Hostel, and quite loved the story Eli came up with. He's also quite pleased with the final results.
Well, as you can imagine, people who hate Eli Roth usually don't bother to watch his movies with commentary. Or buy them, for that matter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MonkeyMan



Posts : 10
Join date : 2011-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:05 am

The Dude wrote:

Well, as you can imagine, people who hate Eli Roth usually don't bother to watch his movies with commentary. Or buy them, for that matter.

Naturally. Which is why its important for someone who has to clarify for those who have not. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

avatar

Posts : 1298
Join date : 2011-01-19
Location : Tampa

PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:10 am

LordSimen wrote:
The Dude wrote:

Well, as you can imagine, people who hate Eli Roth usually don't bother to watch his movies with commentary. Or buy them, for that matter.

Naturally. Which is why its important for someone who has to clarify for those who have not. Very Happy
Well, in any case, Tarantino made a fair sum of money on those movies, so while I disagree with his tastes, I can't say they didn't serve him well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Son Of Jack Deth

avatar

Posts : 411
Join date : 2011-02-12
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:55 am

I also do not care for his films at all. It has more to do with a sense of Roth's lack of integrity. I just find his films lacking in all departments: Humor, story, directing, character, talent, etc...

His films are just ugly. Ugly stories, with ugly people (inside that is) doing ugly things to each other.

In the end, he offers me nothing so I just pass his work up.

But to each their own as always.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OrlandoEastwood

avatar

Posts : 114
Join date : 2011-02-03
Age : 28
Location : Ohio

PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:22 am

I'm interested in seeing how Hostel: Part III is going to turn out since Eli Roth isn't involved with it and Sony and Lionsgate are just pushing forward with it. I did enjoy his role as Donny the Bear Jew in Inglourious Basterds.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.orlandoeastwoodfilms.tk
The Original Greaser Bob

avatar

Posts : 1298
Join date : 2011-01-19
Location : Tampa

PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:39 pm

OrlandoEastwood wrote:
I did enjoy his role as Donny the Bear Jew in Inglourious Basterds.
I'll grant that it's hard not to root for someone whose sole purpose is to hit Nazis with a baseball bat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frank Rizzo

avatar

Posts : 1456
Join date : 2011-02-02
Age : 32

PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:08 pm

The Dude wrote:
OrlandoEastwood wrote:
I did enjoy his role as Donny the Bear Jew in Inglourious Basterds.
I'll grant that it's hard not to root for someone whose sole purpose is to hit Nazis with a baseball bat.

Agreed with Tha Dude.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Son Of Jack Deth

avatar

Posts : 411
Join date : 2011-02-12
Age : 47

PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:21 pm

Frank Rizzo wrote:
The Dude wrote:
OrlandoEastwood wrote:
I did enjoy his role as Donny the Bear Jew in Inglourious Basterds.
I'll grant that it's hard not to root for someone whose sole purpose is to hit Nazis with a baseball bat.

Agreed with Tha Dude.

I'll third this. The Bear Jew was a pretty cool character.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
relauby

avatar

Posts : 167
Join date : 2011-01-20
Location : Newfoundland

PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:11 pm

I have respect for Tarantino as a director because even if I don't like all his movies, he made Eli Roth look talented.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bassbait

avatar

Posts : 29
Join date : 2011-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:22 am

The Dude wrote:
Bassbait wrote:
I think he takes a lot of it from Tarantino's style.
I don't recall ever seeing a Tarantino film where the characters just sit around and call each other gay for 90 minutes...

Sure, maybe not "calling each other gay", but he DOES spend almost all of his time in movies wasting time with clunky, useless dialogue. The "royale with cheese" bit is the equivalent of "calling each other gay", because it takes up a lot of time in the film and has almost nothing at all to do with the film.

What is it about Tarantino's dialogue that people like so much? It's so contrived, pointless, and egotistical. I mean, Cracked even did a thing about how Tarantino originally planned to play the lead in "Inglorious Basterds", which quite possibly makes the last line in the film the most arrogant line of dialogue a film-maker has ever put in a film. If you want good dialogue, I would personally recommend Stanley Kubrick, but that's just because he's my favorite director. He is a really good writer though. If you look at The Shining or Full Metal Jacket, you will be able to see what I mean.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MonkeyMan



Posts : 10
Join date : 2011-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:05 pm

Bassbait wrote:

What is it about Tarantino's dialogue that people like so much?

I cannot speak for all, but I find his dialogue to be character-enriching and highly entertaining. His characters leap off the page, and the screen, and feel like they're sitting next to you rather than in film land. He's the kind of writer who can create an atmosphere that oozes suspense through dialogue. It's an amazing feat not many screenwriters can do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

avatar

Posts : 1298
Join date : 2011-01-19
Location : Tampa

PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:14 pm

Bassbait wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Bassbait wrote:
I think he takes a lot of it from Tarantino's style.
I don't recall ever seeing a Tarantino film where the characters just sit around and call each other gay for 90 minutes...

Sure, maybe not "calling each other gay", but he DOES spend almost all of his time in movies wasting time with clunky, useless dialogue. The "royale with cheese" bit is the equivalent of "calling each other gay", because it takes up a lot of time in the film and has almost nothing at all to do with the film.

What is it about Tarantino's dialogue that people like so much? It's so contrived, pointless, and egotistical. I mean, Cracked even did a thing about how Tarantino originally planned to play the lead in "Inglorious Basterds", which quite possibly makes the last line in the film the most arrogant line of dialogue a film-maker has ever put in a film. If you want good dialogue, I would personally recommend Stanley Kubrick, but that's just because he's my favorite director. He is a really good writer though. If you look at The Shining or Full Metal Jacket, you will be able to see what I mean.
Tarantino isn't beloved for the movies he makes so much as the characters he creates, and the dialogue you call useless and pointless, is in fact what builds those characters. In the non-dramatic scenes, the characters act very much like real people would, chatting back and forth and what have you.

As to his arrogance, I don't believe Tarantino's work to be inherently self-laudatory. Much of his entry in the Cracked.com article had to with Tarantino's conduct in the real world, not with his work. The only way that the author was able to claim that the last line in Inglorious Basterds was by first citing Tarantino calling the movie his master piece irl, which takes the line out of context.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
IAKO



Posts : 83
Join date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:02 pm

The Dude wrote:
As to his arrogance, I don't believe Tarantino's work to be inherently self-laudatory. Much of his entry in the Cracked.com article had to with Tarantino's conduct in the real world, not with his work. The only way that the author was able to claim that the last line in Inglorious Basterds was by first citing Tarantino calling the movie his master piece irl, which takes the line out of context.

At the risk of playing the devil's advocate, I don't think it was taken out of context at all. When you take into consideration movie's final line, the fact that it ends right there, that it cuts directly to "Written and Directed by Quentin Tarantino" and knowing how highly Tarantino regards his own work, it's hard not to make a connection. Maybe he didn't do it on purpose, but I don't see how you could make an ending that screams "damn, I made a good movie" more than this one.

On the plus side, I also think it's his masterpiece.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Original Greaser Bob

avatar

Posts : 1298
Join date : 2011-01-19
Location : Tampa

PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:38 am

I Am a Knock Off wrote:
The Dude wrote:
As to his arrogance, I don't believe Tarantino's work to be inherently self-laudatory. Much of his entry in the Cracked.com article had to with Tarantino's conduct in the real world, not with his work. The only way that the author was able to claim that the last line in Inglorious Basterds was by first citing Tarantino calling the movie his master piece irl, which takes the line out of context.

At the risk of playing the devil's advocate, I don't think it was taken out of context at all. When you take into consideration movie's final line, the fact that it ends right there, that it cuts directly to "Written and Directed by Quentin Tarantino" and knowing how highly Tarantino regards his own work, it's hard not to make a connection. Maybe he didn't do it on purpose, but I don't see how you could make an ending that screams "damn, I made a good movie" more than this one.
I make my point based on the fact that when I first saw the film, I didn't see any correlation between the last line and Tarantino's ego. I suppose you could rip me for not paying close enough attention to notice the little details, but that's because I was more interested in what the characters were saying and doing than trying to make real-world connections. Ergo, I didn't find any evidence of Tarantino lauding his own work, because I wasn't looking for any.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Eli Roth hate   

Back to top Go down
 
Eli Roth hate
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» I've got a girl crush, I hate to admit it -- Summer 2018 (SMUT)
» Karuna Hate JKH Why?
» The latest surprising twist in China’s love-hate relationship with golf
» Dak Prescott's 'America's Team' comment might help you hate the Cowboys again
» Trump's inaugural pastor getting blasted by 'very strong' hate

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Cinema Snob :: Other Stuff :: Theater of Blood-
Jump to: