The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Hobo With a Shotgun

Go down 
+10
Frank Rizzo
relauby
Carver van Horror
barrylikesbnbns
Admin
IAKO
Tommy Wiseau
TheCinemaCynic
The Original Greaser Bob
UnholyMephistopheles
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
UnholyMephistopheles

UnholyMephistopheles

Hobo With a Shotgun Empty
PostSubject: Hobo With a Shotgun   Hobo With a Shotgun EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 6:44 am

we all know brad dosent like it but are his complaints accurate? yes everything he said was true but i didnt go in looking for a sleazy grindhouse movie because i saw an interview the the directer say he didnt want to "wink" at the old gridhouse movies from the 70s
whats with the opening credits is still a mystery to me what did all of you think good for once good forever or shit below your boot heels
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Hobo With a Shotgun   Hobo With a Shotgun EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 12:54 pm

I still haven't seen this movie because Magnolia Pictures can kiss my dick, but I'd like to note that none of the news, promotional materials or what have you led me to believe that this movie was supposed to be a particularly sleazy movie.
Brad complained that it was an "over-the-top cartoon", compared to the likes of Vice Squad or whatever. My question, on the other hand, is what the Hell did he expect? It's a movie called Hobo with a Shotgun for Christ's sake. It seems to me that it's just a "what you see is what you get" kind of B-Movie, and when I do eventually see it, I'll be disappointed if it isn't ridiculous and over-the-top.
Back to top Go down
UnholyMephistopheles

UnholyMephistopheles

PostSubject: Re: Hobo With a Shotgun   Hobo With a Shotgun EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 6:17 pm

The Dude wrote:
I still haven't seen this movie because Magnolia Pictures can kiss my dick, but I'd like to note that none of the news, promotional materials or what have you led me to believe that this movie was supposed to be a particularly sleazy movie.
Brad complained that it was an "over-the-top cartoon", compared to the likes of Vice Squad or whatever. My question, on the other hand, is what the Hell did he expect? It's a movie called Hobo with a Shotgun for Christ's sake. It seems to me that it's just a "what you see is what you get" kind of B-Movie, and when I do eventually see it, I'll be disappointed if it isn't ridiculous and over-the-top.
you wont be disappointed its not very sleazy there are parts that are but i wont give away spoilers
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Hobo With a Shotgun   Hobo With a Shotgun EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 7:07 am

UnholyMephistopheles wrote:
The Dude wrote:
you wont be disappointed its not very sleazy there are parts that are but i wont give away spoilers
Like I said, I wasn't expecting a sleaze buffet, so I don't mind that. If I want sleaze, I'll just watch The Toolbox Murders or some shit.
Back to top Go down
UnholyMephistopheles

UnholyMephistopheles

PostSubject: Re: Hobo With a Shotgun   Hobo With a Shotgun EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 1:36 am

The Dude wrote:
UnholyMephistopheles wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Like I said, I wasn't expecting a sleaze buffet, so I don't mind that. If I want sleaze, I'll just watch The Toolbox Murders or some shit.
i havent got a chance to see that one yet ill have to check it out
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Hobo With a Shotgun   Hobo With a Shotgun EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 2:43 am

It's fairly sleazy.
Back to top Go down
TheCinemaCynic

TheCinemaCynic

PostSubject: Re: Hobo With a Shotgun   Hobo With a Shotgun EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 2:46 am

I'm downloading it now cuz I can't be arsed to shoved out 10 bucks for it, I'm hoping it will at least be better then Machete
Back to top Go down
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: Hobo With a Shotgun   Hobo With a Shotgun EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 3:59 am

I wish I could see this, but it's rated R in Canada (meaning that people my age cannot see it in theatres no matter what), so I'll have to wait until it comes out on DVD. Sad, cause it looks pretty awesome.
Back to top Go down
IAKO

PostSubject: Re: Hobo With a Shotgun   Hobo With a Shotgun EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 5:32 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
I wish I could see this, but it's rated R in Canada (meaning that people my age cannot see it in theatres no matter what), so I'll have to wait until it comes out on DVD. Sad, cause it looks pretty awesome.

Except in the province of Québec where it's rated only 16+, I always thought that classification system was more reasonable.

I'll probably check it out this weekend. I'm hoping for the best, all of the 2011 movies I've seen so far were kind of lame (but then again I haven't had the chance to watch something I actually wanted to see).
Back to top Go down
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: Hobo With a Shotgun   Hobo With a Shotgun EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 5:39 am

The classification is more reasonable in general. To be honest, I can't even remember any other recent R rated movies, besides Jackass 3 I think. If the violence in Hobo is as graphic as I've heard it is, it's probably deserving of its rating.
Back to top Go down
IAKO

PostSubject: Re: Hobo With a Shotgun   Hobo With a Shotgun EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 6:18 am

Maybe you're right and it deserves an R rating, I don't know exactly how violent the movie is, but I've rarely encountered a "mainstream" movie where I think the content is too much for a 16-year-old (with the exception of the two Hostel, two movies that probably deserved their 18+ rating, but I can't really think of others).
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Hobo With a Shotgun   Hobo With a Shotgun EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 6:43 am

TheCinemaCynic wrote:
I'm downloading it now cuz I can't be arsed to shoved out 10 bucks for it, I'm hoping it will at least be better then Machete
I loved Machete.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hobo With a Shotgun   Hobo With a Shotgun EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 7:08 am

The Dude wrote:

The reason why I said that is because I was responding to people who said "Hobo" was somehow realistic in its sleaze. I knew that a movie called "Hobo with a Shotgun" was going to be over the top.
Back to top Go down
https://thecinemasnob.forumotion.com
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Hobo With a Shotgun   Hobo With a Shotgun EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 7:21 am

Admin wrote:
The reason why I said that is because I was responding to people who said "Hobo" was somehow realistic in its sleaze.
Huh...wow...Yeah, I have to admit I see where you're coming from then. I haven't even seen the movie yet I can't wrap my mind around someone thinking it's realistic in some way.
Back to top Go down
TheCinemaCynic

TheCinemaCynic

PostSubject: Re: Hobo With a Shotgun   Hobo With a Shotgun EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 8:42 am

I just finished watching it. It was fun, it was over the top, I just wouldn't want to watch it again anytime soon lol. I don't know why but I had more fun watching Machete then watching this, even tho this movie is what Machete should have been in the sense that it didn't have that heavy political message(that ruined the movie for me). I kinda had the same type of reaction as brad, it's the type of movie that I usually love but for some reason this just didn't work for me. I have to admit, there were quite a few scenes where I was laughing my ass off. I loved how everyone was trying to overact eachother. It was like the 1st act was a bit of a drag, I fucking loved the 2ed act, but then in the 3ed act it started to slow down again.
Back to top Go down
barrylikesbnbns

barrylikesbnbns

PostSubject: Re: Hobo With a Shotgun   Hobo With a Shotgun EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 10:21 pm

Just got done watching it, and really enjoyed it... for all the wrong reasons.

This film tries too hard to be a tribute to the 70s, with the intentionally bad special effects. In the first scene of violence, the manhole-noose intentionally flexes like its made of foam, and in the chest carving scene, why doe's the hobo have a clean shaven chest? Sure, it's supposed to be a tribute to an era, but I don't understand why it has to make that so obvious. It's not even trying to be subtle in how intentionally bad it is. Alongside the special effects, the writers have a field day at the bottom of the barrel. When the antagonist isn't to busy munching on the evidently delicious scenery, his two sons are saying great lines, such as "Go home and clean your dick".

And the film shits truly unessential, remorseless violence all over the reel. "Watch me smash some dudes foot open". Why? That makes no sense. It's pointless. Every time we get near to anyone having a name or any kinda of story announced, something stops the films and mutilates shit for fun. I know that's the point in grind house, to be vague but skank, but you can only have so much graphic violence before a film becomes counter productive. A perfect example would include the scene where some of the antagonists (Which coincidentally seems to be everyone but the hobo and whores) burn a school bus full of children whilst playing 'Burn baby Burn'. Sounds 'cool' right? No.

This has to be a satire of some kind, because it's just a reel of crappy tribute filth.

The director seems to think films like Driller Killer and Maniac are some kind of religion. It's just bizzare that someone would be this in love with a specific style, and that they would dedicate an entire film to it. The only reason this film was made, was that peer groups could spout the shit that happens in the film, like we all did in first school.

But, to be honest, I did enjoy it. I am somewhat of an offensive-material-thrill-seeker, with sick underground sites in my bookmarks bar. That is the only reason. Nothing else about it is desirable. Its the preemptively viral shit and the source for great discussion material.

tl;dr, It's good because its violent and shit.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Hobo With a Shotgun   Hobo With a Shotgun EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 3:05 am

barrylikesbnbns wrote:
Just got done watching it, and really enjoyed it... for all the wrong reasons.
You seem to be confused in thinking that movies like this are meant to be enjoyed for any other reason.
Back to top Go down
Carver van Horror

PostSubject: Re: Hobo With a Shotgun   Hobo With a Shotgun EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 2:33 am

Loved it. This was a rare case (see also: The Boondock Saints; A Serbian Film) where I disagreed with Brad.

I felt it was more violent and gory than the other recent exploitation films, which is very good (really, that SHOULD make it my favorite), but it didnt have Nicolas Cage or Robert De Niro, which is bad. Im surprised Brad didnt like it, really.

Endntoe: As far as recent throwbacks to the exploitation genres go:

Drive Angry > Piranha > Hobo With A Shotgun = Machete > The Expendables (yes, I'm keeping this one in here too)

IN MY OPINION

And the Expendables is 8/10 or so (not shit), so take that with a grain of salt. Also, I can't decide if I like Hobo or Machete more, it varies from day to day. So I took the average.

Hey, lol, the two 3D ones are in front. I don't like 3D, but I guess I happen to agree with Brad, that if used as a gimmick, it's okay.
Back to top Go down
relauby

relauby

PostSubject: Re: Hobo With a Shotgun   Hobo With a Shotgun EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 3:10 am

Wow, I guess I really was the only one who wasn't that impressed with Drive Angry. I like Nic Cage, I like cheesy 3D, and I like that kind of movie, but Drive Angry didn't really do anything for me. There were definitely good elements to it, but it's probably the bottom of my list out of recent exploitation movies.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: Hobo With a Shotgun   Hobo With a Shotgun EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 4:15 am

Well, I just downloaded Hobo, so hopefully I'll get a couple hours to sit down and take it in.
Back to top Go down
Carver van Horror

PostSubject: Re: Hobo With a Shotgun   Hobo With a Shotgun EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 10:03 am

relauby wrote:
Wow, I guess I really was the only one who wasn't that impressed with Drive Angry. I like Nic Cage, I like cheesy 3D, and I like that kind of movie, but Drive Angry didn't really do anything for me. There were definitely good elements to it, but it's probably the bottom of my list out of recent exploitation movies.

Have you seen the reviews for it? You're far from the only one. Surprisingly, Hobo got extremely good reviews, however.

It was shocking that Amber Heard didn't get naked in it, though. I mean, she's been naked before in movies, and this is an exploitation film full of naked girls with some naked girls in it (not nearly as many as its made out to have, however), so why not her? That's probably, now that I think of it, my #1 complaint.
Back to top Go down
relauby

relauby

PostSubject: Re: Hobo With a Shotgun   Hobo With a Shotgun EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 5:53 pm

Carver van Horror wrote:
relauby wrote:

Have you seen the reviews for it? You're far from the only one. Surprisingly, Hobo got extremely good reviews, however.

It was shocking that Amber Heard didn't get naked in it, though. I mean, she's been naked before in movies, and this is an exploitation film full of naked girls with some naked girls in it (not nearly as many as its made out to have, however), so why not her? That's probably, now that I think of it, my #1 complaint.

No, I knew it was getting bad reviews from professional critics, I just meant around this little circle of people. Brad gave it a glowing review, I've seen a lot of forum posts about it and I think some guys over at TGWTG also gave it really positive reviews. And I was also really surprised by how good Hobo's reviews have been. Up until the day before I saw it, it had a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, with a decent amount of reviews on there. 16 I think.
Back to top Go down
Carver van Horror

PostSubject: Re: Hobo With a Shotgun   Hobo With a Shotgun EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 9:11 pm

True. I guess I feel bad for you then, there was no reason for you not to like the movie, so you must be sad that you didn't. My condolences
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: Hobo With a Shotgun   Hobo With a Shotgun EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 9:36 pm

Carver van Horror wrote:
True. I guess I feel bad for you then, there was no reason for you not to like the movie, so you must be sad that you didn't. My condolences

Let's try and keep the snippyness out of this thread and the forum in general Carver.
Back to top Go down
Feldon

PostSubject: Re: Hobo With a Shotgun   Hobo With a Shotgun EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 11:44 pm

Saw Hobo With A Shot Gun last night. My friends and I really enjoyed it--in fact any Canadian out there that grew up watching CBC in the eighties may very well get a kick out of this. If I had any complaints its probably that the violence gets a little too grotesque at times, but that's just me.

As for it being cartoony, the end theme to this movie says it all, again I think you need to be Canadian to appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hobo With a Shotgun   Hobo With a Shotgun Empty

Back to top Go down

Hobo With a Shotgun
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Cinema Snob :: Other Stuff :: Theater of Blood-
Jump to: