The Cinema Snob
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierre Kirby Approved.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise…

Go down 
+16
boxedlunch
thatguyontheright1
MAJORASMASKFAN
Loxx O)))
relauby
IAKO
Eckertmania
Tommy Wiseau
barrylikesbnbns
Paul Atreides
UnknownKadath
The Original Greaser Bob
Frank Rizzo
Son Of Jack Deth
bjohn268
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
bjohn268

If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… Empty
PostSubject: If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise…   If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 8:12 am

What would it be?

Oh and you can't say Double Dragon, Battletoads, Road Rash or Final Fight...everyone says those.

Mine.

1.Ironman Ivan Stewart's Super Off Road
2. R-Type
3. Bad Dudes
4. Thunderblade
5. 1942
Back to top Go down
Son Of Jack Deth

Son Of Jack Deth

PostSubject: Re: If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise…   If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 9:07 am

Pitfall
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise…   If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 11:28 am

Kid Icarus.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise…   If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 12:15 pm

bjohn268 wrote:
What would it be?

Oh and you can't say Double Dragon, Battletoads, Road Rash or Final Fight...everyone says those.

Mine.

2. R-Type
3. Bad Dudes
4. Thunderblade
5. 1942
Bad Dudes? Do you just want to go for a burger with President Obama?
Back to top Go down
UnknownKadath

UnknownKadath

Location : I live in my namesake, of course!.. Okay, in real life - Japan.

PostSubject: Re: If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise…   If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 2:32 pm

Frank Rizzo wrote:
Kid Icarus.

Isn't Nintendo bringing that Franchise back?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kid_Icarus:_Uprising
It's for the 3DS apparently.

Anyways, Full Throttle. With only one game it's hard to call a franchise, but there were 2 sequels in development and one of them was being done by Tim Schafer. I'd love to see Schafer and his Double Fine team bring the series back.
Back to top Go down
Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

PostSubject: Re: If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise…   If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 9:52 pm

If I could bring back any video game or video game franchise, I would bring back (in this order)

1. Ultima (PC, NES, SNES)
2. Kabuki Quantum Fighter (NES)
3. Section Z (NES)
4. Revolution X (SNES)
Back to top Go down
bjohn268

PostSubject: Re: If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise…   If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 11:22 pm

The Dude wrote:
bjohn268 wrote:
What would it be?

Mine.

2. R-Type
3. Bad Dudes
4. Thunderblade
5. 1942
Bad Dudes? Do you just want to go for a burger with President Obama?

Yes, and everytime I drink a Coke I'll say, "Got it!"

I just rememberd one. How about Karnov, Afterburner and Arch Rivals.
Back to top Go down

▲

PostSubject: Re: If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise…   If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 1:07 am

1. JET SET RADIO FUTURE
2. Timesplitters
3. Oddworld
4. Commandos
5. Jet Force Gemini
Back to top Go down
UnknownKadath

UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise…   If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 6:22 am

▲ wrote:
1. JET SET RADIO FUTURE
2. Timesplitters
3. Oddworld
4. Commandos
5. Jet Force Gemini

#3 and #5 all the way.

I was never really a Timesplitters fan, never played Commandos or Jet Set Radio - but I love Oddworld to death and Jet Force Gemini kicked ass. If they bring back Oddworld though, it HAS to be done by OI. They're really the only ones who can handle the universe, which does mean the idea of a good Oddworld game coming soon is low since they've pursued a future in filmmaking. Though we can hope they'll make a new oddworld game at least sometime in the future.
Back to top Go down

▲

PostSubject: Re: If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise…   If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 7:15 am

UnknownKadath wrote:
▲ wrote:
1. JET SET RADIO FUTURE
2. Timesplitters
3. Oddworld
4. Commandos
5. Jet Force Gemini

#3 and #5 all the way.

I was never really a Timesplitters fan, never played Commandos or Jet Set Radio - but I love Oddworld to death and Jet Force Gemini kicked ass. If they bring back Oddworld though, it HAS to be done by OI. They're really the only ones who can handle the universe, which does mean the idea of a good Oddworld game coming soon is low since they've pursued a future in filmmaking. Though we can hope they'll make a new oddworld game at least sometime in the future.
You should definitely play JSRF. I hate the whole X-tream sports genre but it is my second favorite game of all time. Commandos is the best strategy game ever made IMO. Timesplitters was the last of the N64 era run and gun 3D shooters that evolved from games like Goldeneye, which have been long dead, and Timesplitters was my favorite of that style.

But you are definitly right about Oddworld though. I should have put a caveat on all of these that they have to be revived by the original team because they are all so personality driven that if you changed the developer I highly doubt you would get anywhere near the same quality of game.
Back to top Go down
barrylikesbnbns

barrylikesbnbns

PostSubject: Re: If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise…   If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 9:03 pm

▲ wrote:
2. Timesplitters

Oh god this. Timesplitters was incredible. As for franchises I'd like revived:

Dungeon Keeper
-The 'new one', if you call it that, was terrible; It ran badly and didn't even mention the original.

Theme Hosptial
- I'd like it revamped, not so much that the mechanics are raped, but so that it runs in a reasonable resolution, and perhaps 3D. It RCT3 can make a good sequel that's 3D, why can't whoever it is that chooses to revamp Theme Hospital. Now I am aware that Bull Frog are now de-funked, but, correct me if I am wrong, didn't they turn into Rockstar? So wouldn't Rockstar, new-gen pioneers, still have the code and rights to the game?

Paperboy
- Simple premise, brilliant art direction, easy to pick up and a brilliant sound score. I'll never forget the sound it made when you got a new ream(?) of newspapers. My favourite version was on the MegaDrive (Genesis).

SSX
- There have been many attempts to ressurect this franchise, but anything after World Tour had nothing on the classic, Tricky and 3. An extreme sports game with Run DMC as the main theme? What isn't perfect about that.
Back to top Go down
UnknownKadath

UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise…   If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 5:19 am

barrylikesbnbns wrote:

Dungeon Keeper
-The 'new one', if you call it that, was terrible; It ran badly and didn't even mention the original.

Theme Hosptial
- I'd like it revamped, not so much that the mechanics are raped, but so that it runs in a reasonable resolution, and perhaps 3D. It RCT3 can make a good sequel that's 3D, why can't whoever it is that chooses to revamp Theme Hospital. Now I am aware that Bull Frog are now de-funked, but, correct me if I am wrong, didn't they turn into Rockstar? So wouldn't Rockstar, new-gen pioneers, still have the code and rights to the game?

They made an attempt at a new Dungeon Keeper game (or tribute/rip-off as your posts suggests)?

Also, I agree with both of those. I love those games. Theme Hospital taught me patience I think, I just wish they would have bothered to fix the god awful bugs that made it so the PA system would alert you to things in reverse like "Everyone is freezing cold!" and then I'd look at the heating bill and realize it meant to say everyone was spontaneously combusting due to the thousands of boilers I placed. By the way, if you have an old copy of Theme Hospital around - you can try Open Hospital. It's far from finished, but it's looking promising. It's a Windows based open source engine that lets you run stably at any resolution on modern computers, and it plans on fixing some of the bugs and problems of the original. I actually have no problem running the game on Windows 7 due to the magic and nonsensical Screen Resolution fix (For some reason, having the screen resolution panel of Windows 7 highlighted when you start old games fixes the fucked up colours problem.) but when Open Hospital is in a more finished state, I'll definitely switch over since it promises the bug fixes and a working version of the editor to make your own hospitals and share 'em.

Also, no Bullfrog did not become rockstar. You are thinking of DMA design matey. Bullfrog became Lionhead studios, the guys who have wasted their time making the Fable series. Honestly the only game from Lionhead Studios that I've remotely enjoyed was The Movies, which was as close to an old school Bullfrog management sim as it got after they disbanded. Fable and those Black & White games just didn't do anything for me though.

▲ wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:
▲ wrote:
1. JET SET RADIO FUTURE
2. Timesplitters
3. Oddworld
4. Commandos
5. Jet Force Gemini

#3 and #5 all the way.

You should definitely play JSRF. I hate the whole X-tream sports genre but it is my second favorite game of all time. Commandos is the best strategy game ever made IMO. Timesplitters was the last of the N64 era run and gun 3D shooters that evolved from games like Goldeneye, which have been long dead, and Timesplitters was my favorite of that style.

But you are definitly right about Oddworld though. I should have put a caveat on all of these that they have to be revived by the original team because they are all so personality driven that if you changed the developer I highly doubt you would get anywhere near the same quality of game.

Timesplitters just didn't work for me. At least not the first one, I really really didn't like it. A friend of mine is telling me the sequels might change my mind though. Meh, maybe I'll check them out since I've still got my PS2 and Xbox lying around (I never get rid of old consoles or games. For some reason, when I do I immediately get nostalgic and want to play one of the games I just sold. I only sell games if I don't like them.)

I might check out Commandos. I love Strategy games, and from the looks of Commandos it looks like a pretty strong tactics game. We haven't had many of those recently, come to think of it. Kind of a dying breed Sad I was sad to see that the new X-Com game isn't a tactics game, honestly cause when I heard "NEW X-COM!" I was like "Huzzah!" then I saw a shooter and I was like "Noooooes :<" I'm still partial to Fallout: Tactics, for the sole reason that Fallout is my favourite PC game of all damn time. The old ones. The new ones are ace, but they aren't really true sequels.
Back to top Go down
barrylikesbnbns

barrylikesbnbns

PostSubject: Re: If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise…   If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 5:32 am

UnknownKadath wrote:
barrylikesbnbns wrote:

Dungeon Keeper

Theme Hosptial

They made an attempt at a new Dungeon Keeper game (or tribute/rip-off as your posts suggests)?

Also, I agree with both of those. I love those games. Theme Hospital taught me patience I think, I just wish they would have bothered to fix the god awful bugs that made it so the PA system would alert you to things in reverse like "Everyone is freezing cold!" and then I'd look at the heating bill and realize it meant to say everyone was spontaneously combusting due to the thousands of boilers I placed.

Also, no Bullfrog did not become rockstar. You are thinking of DMA design matey. Bullfrog became Lionhead studios, the guys who have wasted their time making the Fable series. Honestly the only game from Lionhead Studios that I've remotely enjoyed was The Movies, which was as close to an old school Bullfrog management sim as it got after they disbanded. Fable and those Black & White games just didn't do anything for me though.

The 'new' dungeon keeper is a mechanics and story rip-off from the classic, and is available on steam for near £30. It's simply called Dungeons and yes, it is bad. Oh, so bad.

The bugs in Theme Hospital did get to me aswell. I distinctly remember the walk path mapping being totally untrustworthy when it came to handymen and GPs. Furthermore, the 'Stay in Rooms' option NEVER worked properly. All it would take is one rogue surgeon to decide "Hmm, I don't wanna save the 12 fatally wounded people today, I'd rather diagnose Mr Slack Tongue", and the entire hospital would go cock eyed.

As for Lionhead, I found Fable 1 to be engrossing. I spent so much time on that game because I just loved it so much. At the time, I wish it had more customisation, but now I can kinda appreciate its direction. But, after the success of Fable 1, Lionhead decided to milk the franchise dry, by releasing 2 bollocks sequels within the next 2 years.

Fable 2 was so bad, I didn't even consider Fable 3. I completed it in less than a day, and didn't even try. But thats nothing to do with the story and first levels. The whole new 'Prince' story was unoriginal and NOT engaging, and lead to some boring, drawn out cinematics.

And that buggering dog. Evil or Very Mad Don't get me started on the dog. It's basically the same as the Disney puppy movies gimmic; Adding a pet makes everything better.

It does not, and the dog was just a pain in my arse all the way through.

EDIT: Found OpenTH, and installing, let you know what I think of it, but If its anything like you said, I may just cream right here.
EDIT2: Wont install on x64 Sad Fishing out Win2k discs
Back to top Go down
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise…   If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 7:06 am

UnknownKadath wrote:
Honestly the only game from Lionhead Studios that I've remotely enjoyed was The Movies, which was as close to an old school Bullfrog management sim as it got after they disbanded.

Somewhat off-topic here, but I hate The Movies with a weird burning passion. It's fun at first, but has such a wicked difficulty curve, and making scripts gets so tedious after awhile that it ruined what was a cool sim at first.
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise…   If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 7:47 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:
Honestly the only game from Lionhead Studios that I've remotely enjoyed was The Movies, which was as close to an old school Bullfrog management sim as it got after they disbanded.

Somewhat off-topic here, but I hate The Movies with a weird burning passion. It's fun at first, but has such a wicked difficulty curve, and making scripts gets so tedious after awhile that it ruined what was a cool sim at first.

Seconded Tommy's remarks.
Back to top Go down
Tommy Wiseau

Tommy Wiseau

PostSubject: Re: If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise…   If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 8:50 am

Also, I'd love to see a return of Rollercoaster Tycoon with the classic graphics.
Back to top Go down
Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo

PostSubject: Re: If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise…   If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 9:12 am

Tommy Wiseau wrote:
Also, I'd love to see a return of Rollercoaster Tycoon with the classic graphics.

Again, yes.
Back to top Go down

▲

PostSubject: Re: If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise…   If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 7:40 pm

UnknownKadath wrote:
I might check out Commandos. I love Strategy games, and from the looks of Commandos it looks like a pretty strong tactics game.
It's a great series and if you don't like to pirate your games you can pick up the entire collection on steam for $14. You will need to download an unofficial patch to make the first game work though but it's easy to find.
I actually bought the collection during the holiday sale for $3. That was a good day.
Back to top Go down
UnknownKadath

UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise…   If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 8:58 pm

▲ wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:
I might check out Commandos. I love Strategy games, and from the looks of Commandos it looks like a pretty strong tactics game.
It's a great series and if you don't like to pirate your games you can pick up the entire collection on steam for $14. You will need to download an unofficial patch to make the first game work though but it's easy to find.
I actually bought the collection during the holiday sale for $3. That was a good day.

Yeah I've seen it on Steam before. I'll probably pick it up after I do my taxes. Kinda need to pinch until then; plus I already shelled out for Portal 2 and Crysis 2 so my gaming queue is filled for a bit.

Frank Rizzo wrote:
Tommy Wiseau wrote:
UnknownKadath wrote:

Seconded Tommy's remarks.

I had more patience for it. Honestly, the only thing that annoyed me about said difficulty curve is how it came with no warning at first. I WAS genuinely pissed the first time it went to the 30s and immediately all my stars were going down for wanting trailers. Once I adjusted for all that, I found myself enjoying it; plus my wife & I made lots of shitty machinima that we'd be embarrassed to show now but chuckled at while we were making them.

Flipping back on Topic:

Blood. Anyone remember Blood? It's one of my favourite old school shooters (Plus, to be frank - of all the early "Build" engine games - I like Blood the most. Yes, more than Duke Nukem 3D.) and it's still pretty damn cool. Undead cowboys fighting bizarre beasts in steam punk locales inspired by Evil Dead and H.P. Lovecraft = Win. Blood 2 was a step down, its setting wasn't as cool (It had a more generic cyberpunk style) and honestly I feel it is a good example of why in some ways, 2D Sprites age better than early 3D graphics. Despite being pixelated, the original sprites for Blood 1 were far more detailed in animation, and they were much more gruesome - Blood 2 kind of had just generic gibs. Regardless Blood 2 wasn't bad, I still loved it to death. Especially that one weird orb weapon that is more or less that thing from Phantasm. I had so much fun chucking that into cultists eyes and watching it shred their faces into a million pieces.

I'd love to see Blood make a comeback, especially if it uses the original H.P. Lovecraft themed steampunk western occult horror setting that was so fucking cool. Monolith is still around and has been sorely absent after the mediocre F.E.A.R. 2, and I hold some hopes that they'll either spring a new I.P. on us, Condemned 3, or best yet - a new Blood game. =D
Back to top Go down
Eckertmania

Eckertmania

PostSubject: Re: If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise…   If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 11:02 pm

When I think of a franchise that needs to come back, there only one name that stands out to me: Streets of Rage.
Back to top Go down
http://asliceomind.wordpress.com/
IAKO

PostSubject: Re: If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise…   If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 1:09 am

Totally agree about the Jet Set Radio franchise, another one would be great... well, as long as Sega wouldn't screw it up. On the subject of Sega, how about that final Shenmue game? Also, a while back I would have wished for another installment in the Chrono series, but Square Enix kind of lost their touch.
Back to top Go down
barrylikesbnbns

barrylikesbnbns

PostSubject: Re: If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise…   If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 1:33 am

Eckertmania wrote:
When I think of a franchise that needs to come back, there only one name that stands out to me: Streets of Rage.
Oh my sweet lord. I loved Streets of Rage 2 so damn much, and still play it to this day at every LAN party I host.
Apparently, when Axel does that sliding uppercut, he's saying "Bare Knuckle!", although it sounds nothing like that at all.

But with regards to reviving it, with the current state of new gen revivals, I personally would not like to see Streets of Rage revived, as most modern revivals, with the exception of perhaps Crash Bandicoot and Spyro*, the remakes tend to be tragic and disappointing. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see an attempt, I'm just saying the industry should either quit while it's ahead, or be prepared for some very angry nostalg-iacs.

The bad remakes I'm talking about involve franchises such as Lara Croft (formerly Tomb Raider), Sonic the Hedgehog (who is now a furry's wet dream mixed with DDR on acid), and Rayman's abysmal Ravid Rabbids series.

*Saying that, the only revamps on Spyro I didn't appreciate were the uncomfortably realistic graphical 'enhancments'.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise…   If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 6:22 am

Eckertmania wrote:
If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… ScruffySeconds
Back to top Go down
UnknownKadath

UnknownKadath

PostSubject: Re: If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise…   If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 12:44 pm

Here's two more series I'd love to see a comeback:

If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… 1037917830-00 (Legend of the Mystical Ninja in the US.) I loved this game as a kid, also the first Japanese language game I remember playing even though it had a US release. I also felt the first Nintendo 64 iteration was highly underrated. I love the quirks and style of the series.

Also,

If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… 986228294-00

I know they are still making Tony Hawk games, but they just aren't the same. I'm honestly not a fan of Skating (Well, I almost was. Until I broke 3 ribs.) or skating games for that matter, yet I felt that Pro Skater was accessible and a ton of fun. The more recent Tony Hawk games suck, and Skate is a bit too complicated for my non-skater brain. Bring back the original "Pro Skater" series - accessible and fun.
Back to top Go down
The Original Greaser Bob

The Original Greaser Bob

PostSubject: Re: If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise…   If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 1:01 pm

UnknownKadath wrote:
Bring back the original "Pro Skater" series - accessible and fun.
With unlockable bonus characters, please.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise…   If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise… Empty

Back to top Go down

If you were to bring back any old video game or franchise…
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next